PDA

View Full Version : Falcons hire Zimmer?

kaorder1999
01-09-2007, 10:11 PM
Just heard that...wow...interesting

ILS1
01-09-2007, 10:28 PM
FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- Bobby Petrino wasted no time in finding his defensive and offensive coordinators.

A day after being introduced as Atlanta's head coach, Petrino reached agreements Tuesday with Dallas defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer and Cincinnati receivers coach Hue Jackson to be his right-hand men with the Falcons. The hirings were confirmed by an official in the league Tuesday night, who spoke on condition of anonymity because they hadn't yet been announced.

The Dallas Morning News and the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported the agreement between Petrino and Zimmer on Tuesday.

Petrino said Monday he wants the Falcons to run a 4-3 defense.

"One of my critical hires will be my defensive coordinator," Petrino said Monday. "It's certainly going to be very important to me. I want to be able to play the game very aggressive and be able to come after the quarterback. Obviously, you have to stop the run first."

The Atlanta newspaper also reported the discussions with Jackson, who was the Bengals' receivers coach.

Petrino plans to call the plays during games, but Jackson is expected to run the offense in practice and help coordinate the offensive game plans.

Jackson, 45, has been with the Bengals for three years. He was the Washington Redskins' running backs coach in 2001-02 and the team's offensive coordinator in 2003.

Jackson was a college assistant for 14 years, including Southern California's offensive coordinator from 1997-2000.

Zimmer will replace Ed Donatell, who served as defensive coordinator under Jim Mora Jr. Jackson will replace Mora's offensive coordinator, Greg Knapp.

Petrino plans to retain two assistants from Mora's staff, quarterbacks coach Bill Musgrave and running backs coach Ollie Wilson, according to the Journal-Constitution.

Zimmer, 50, has worked with the Cowboys for 13 seasons and took over as defensive coordinator in 2000. He has agreed to a two-year contract, according to the Dallas paper. His contract with the Cowboys was expected to expire this offseason, and his future in Dallas was uncertain with coach Bill Parcells' status unknown.

Zimmer worked with Petrino at Weber State in 1987 and `88. Zimmer's Dallas defense led the NFL in 2003.

Story Link (www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9918730)

bobcat1
01-09-2007, 10:41 PM
That kinda makes you :thinking:

TexanAlum_06
01-09-2007, 10:59 PM
I hope they go after phillys DC. he is good. this is where Jerry Jones comes into play. because he will throw enough money out there it will lure someone of high caliber to Dallas. Hopefully.....:confused:

Macarthur
01-09-2007, 11:12 PM
They won't get him. He has turned down HC jobs. He's not leaving Philly.

Dick Lebowe (sp?) would be a good hire. He is an old school 3-4 deciple. Don't know if he and Parcells have any history, but he's available.

Jason1725
01-09-2007, 11:43 PM
Unless the new coach in Pittsburgh is out of his mind Dick Lebeau will stay in Pittsburgh.

TexanAlum_06
01-10-2007, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by Macarthur
They won't get him. He has turned down HC jobs. He's not leaving Philly.

Dick Lebowe (sp?) would be a good hire. He is an old school 3-4 deciple. Don't know if he and Parcells have any history, but he's available.

No i meant to be the DC at dallas. who do you think prime candidates might be if parcells gets fired/retires?

g$$
01-10-2007, 01:58 AM
Why would Dick LeBeau leave Pittsburgh? Because Cowher left?

The cards are starting to fall in Big D. Zimmer is a good coach whom Parcells ruined by forcing the 3-4 down his throat. What will be next?

kaorder1999
01-10-2007, 09:19 AM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/img/01-07/0110zimmer.jpg

Look at ho wmad he looks....."God I need out of here...."

BTEXDAD
01-10-2007, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by ILS1
FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- Bobby Petrino wasted no time in finding his defensive and offensive coordinators.

A day after being introduced as Atlanta's head coach, Petrino reached agreements Tuesday with Dallas defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer and Cincinnati receivers coach Hue Jackson to be his right-hand men with the Falcons. The hirings were confirmed by an official in the league Tuesday night, who spoke on condition of anonymity because they hadn't yet been announced.

The Dallas Morning News and the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported the agreement between Petrino and Zimmer on Tuesday.

Zimmer will replace Ed Donatell, who served as defensive coordinator under Jim Mora Jr. Jackson will replace Mora's offensive coordinator, Greg Knapp.

Zimmer, 50, has worked with the Cowboys for 13 seasons and took over as defensive coordinator in 2000. He has agreed to a two-year contract, according to the Dallas paper. His contract with the Cowboys was expected to expire this offseason, and his future in Dallas was uncertain with coach Bill Parcells' status unknown.

Zimmer worked with Petrino at Weber State in 1987 and `88. Zimmer's Dallas defense led the NFL in 2003.

Story Link (www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9918730)

Zimmer is very knowledgeable. former manager of Red Sox, bench coach with Yankees. Switched full time to football after Pedro Martinez threw him to the ground in that bench clearing brawl.
I could have sworn he was older than 50 though. ;)

LitanyofFury
01-10-2007, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by BTEXDAD
Zimmer is very knowledgeable. former manager of Red Sox, bench coach with Yankees. Switched full time to football after Pedro Martinez threw him to the ground in that bench clearing brawl.

I lol'ed.:D

g$$
01-10-2007, 05:16 PM

Wow, he has aged well the past few years! Managed the Cubs too. ;)

AggieJohn
01-10-2007, 05:19 PM
I could have sworn he was older than 50 though. ;) that was Don Zimmer:D

g$$
01-10-2007, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
that was Don Zimmer:D

NO KIDDING AJ! It's called sarcasm buddy.