01-09-2007, 07:22 PM
texas & louisville are too high

wisconsin & arkansas are too low

LitanyofFury
01-09-2007, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
texas & louisville are too high

wisconsin & arkansas are too low

And the Aggies are nowhere to be found. . .yet again.

Texas got ranked exactly where it should be. . .except OU shouldn't be 11th. In fact, there's a lot of people (including Vegas) which are picking the Horns in the Top 5 to start off next season.

AggieJohn
01-09-2007, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by LitanyofFury

Texas got ranked exactly where it should be. . .except OU shouldn't be 11th. In fact, there's a lot of people (including Vegas) which are picking the Horns in the Top 5 to start off next season. i could see that happening, but I'm going to need colt to prove himself more

g$$
01-09-2007, 08:06 PM

Texas got ranked exactly where it should be. . .except OU shouldn't be 11th. In fact, there's a lot of people (including Vegas) which are picking the Horns in the Top 5 to start off next season.

Ags were in the Top 30 in both polls, nothing to be proud of agreed. I have seen the Horns anywhere from #4 to #10 for 2007 preseason.

DU_stud04
01-09-2007, 08:06 PM
i could see that happening, but I'm going to need colt to prove himself more colt will be out of a job in the next year or two.

LitanyofFury
01-09-2007, 08:16 PM
So 29 TDs and the National Freshman of the Year award wasn't enough proof?:confused: :crazy1:

AggieJohn
01-09-2007, 08:18 PM
So 29 TDs and the National Freshman of the Year award wasn't enough proof?:confused: :crazy1: with the staff that he has to throw too and the backfield behind him, no, it's not enough.......vinny testaverde could flourish in that offense...

LitanyofFury
01-09-2007, 08:23 PM
with the staff that he has to throw too and the backfield behind him, no, it's not enough.......vinny testaverde could flourish in that offense...

And they'll ALL be back except for Selvin. If the O-Line steps up he'll have an even better year. Kid is a freak. . .and he's from Tuscola. It STILL cracks me up when I think about it.

htowntransplant
01-09-2007, 08:24 PM
rutgers had 2 losses? i thought they lost one...to cincy. they should be much higher!

o nevermind they lost to WVU. still, they should be a little higher.

TexanAlum_06
01-09-2007, 08:57 PM
I think Colt has more to prove. Im not dogging him at all. I back him as the QB of the longhorns and I have confidence he can get the job done and he gives us the best chance at winning. BUT we shall see if he has as good as year next year because now the defensive playbook is bigger on him. and without the aid of a good running game. the running game for texas was pretty much ineffective the whole season and really struggled late this year. and you can only assume that it wont be any better next year as of now. We are losing the interior of our line and replacing them with a center that played 30% of the snaps and 2 gaurds that have no experience except for mop up duty late in games against worn out D-lines and LBs. we do have both tackles coming back but they are clearly more effective in Pass protection and not dominant run blockers. Now is it possible for davis and mack to revamp the running game and it be more effective. yes. and likely we will see more running out of under center and the I with guys like cody johnson coming in and the possibility of Sergio Kindle maybe pounding the rock some. and possibly throw in a couple of shotgun packages with Harris or Chiles like florida did with Tebow.a lot remains unseen yet. we will know a lot more when the spring game rolls around in a couple of months. and lastly lets all hope he doesnt have a Sophomore slump, like Chad Henne last year.

CalallenWildcat
01-09-2007, 09:14 PM
Colt is a serviceable QB, but he's no superstar. Still, with the right playcalling, I think he is skilled enough to have a good year for the Horns next year.

That being said, these are final rankings for this year, and I'm sorry, but UT did not impress down the backstretch. Losing to KSU and A&M and barely beating Iowa does not merit a #13 ranking. I'd put them around #20...just a little above TCU.

BYU is too low...Boise State is too low...Louisville is about right, AJ...Wisconsin is about right...BYU is too low...Cal is too low...

LitanyofFury
01-09-2007, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by TexanAlum_06
I think Colt has more to prove. Im not dogging him at all. I back him as the QB of the longhorns and I have confidence he can get the job done and he gives us the best chance at winning. BUT we shall see if he has as good as year next year because now the defensive playbook is bigger on him. and without the aid of a good running game. the running game for texas was pretty much ineffective the whole season and really struggled late this year. and you can only assume that it wont be any better next year as of now. We are losing the interior of our line and replacing them with a center that played 30% of the snaps and 2 gaurds that have no experience except for mop up duty late in games against worn out D-lines and LBs. we do have both tackles coming back but they are clearly more effective in Pass protection and not dominant run blockers. Now is it possible for davis and mack to revamp the running game and it be more effective. yes. and likely we will see more running out of under center and the I with guys like cody johnson coming in and the possibility of Sergio Kindle maybe pounding the rock some. and possibly throw in a couple of shotgun packages with Harris or Chiles like florida did with Tebow.a lot remains unseen yet. we will know a lot more when the spring game rolls around in a couple of months. and lastly lets all hope he doesnt have a Sophomore slump, like Chad Henne last year.

Agreed. I think it all depends on whether MacWhorter gets the O-Line performing well and if Mack/GD make a commitment to changing up the running game. I still think Jamaal can be a dominant, every down back if you just line a fullback up in front of him and let him hit the hole going 100 miles per hour instead of all this zone read dancing nonsense. It worked well with Vince because he was even more of a threat than JC running the ball and so defenses keyed on him. Not so much with Colt, even tho the kid has proven he can run fairly well when needed. Honestly, I think JC is one of those guys that needs to touch the ball a lot to get in a rhythm. Back in high school he'd carry the rock 40+ times a game and wouldn't break a sweat. I think switching out almost every other play with Selvin really hurt his production. I'd also like to see us swing him out in the open more like the one play against Iowa which went for a 70+ yard TD.

Biggest thing is that Sweed and the entire receiving corp comes back and they'll make any QB look better.

LitanyofFury
01-09-2007, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by CalallenWildcat
Colt is a serviceable QB, but he's no superstar. Still, with the right playcalling, I think he is skilled enough to have a good year for the Horns next year.

That being said, these are final rankings for this year, and I'm sorry, but UT did not impress down the backstretch. Losing to KSU and A&M and barely beating Iowa does not merit a #13 ranking. I'd put them around #20...just a little above TCU.

BYU is too low...Boise State is too low...Louisville is about right, AJ...Wisconsin is about right...BYU is too low...Cal is too low...

Just serviceable? Name a QB that played better than he did before he got hurt this year in the Big 12. His problem is that he's Vince Young's replacement. The kid tossed 29 TDs this season as a redshirt Freshman and people are still questioning him. Why? Because they saw Vince Young last year (who only tossed 26 TDs;) ) and nothing compares to his freakishness. I think that if he stays healthy Colt has a legit shot at the Heisman and a title before he's done at UT. He was already getting dark horse Heisman talk before he got injured this year....he's got the hype, the skills, and he's already working on the fame. Saved a dude's life. . .broke records as a redshirt freshman. . .came from a 2A school with one traffic light and no Dairy Queen. . .blah blah blah.;)

TexanAlum_06
01-09-2007, 09:54 PM
Agreed. I think it all depends on whether MacWhorter gets the O-Line performing well and if Mack/GD make a commitment to changing up the running game. I still think Jamaal can be a dominant, every down back if you just line a fullback up in front of him and let him hit the hole going 100 miles per hour instead of all this zone read dancing nonsense. It worked well with Vince because he was even more of a threat than JC running the ball and so defenses keyed on him. Not so much with Colt, even tho the kid has proven he can run fairly well when needed. Honestly, I think JC is one of those guys that needs to touch the ball a lot to get in a rhythm. Back in high school he'd carry the rock 40+ times a game and wouldn't break a sweat. I think switching out almost every other play with Selvin really hurt his production. I'd also like to see us swing him out in the open more like the one play against Iowa which went for a 70+ yard TD.

Biggest thing is that Sweed and the entire receiving corp comes back and they'll make any QB look better.

I totally agree. Im tired of this zone read stuff. it might work with chiles or harris but it simply doesnt with Colt. the only good thing it did for us this year was when we faked it on a playaction pass. they must scrap it. yes SCRAP IT. and keep it for Chiles or Harris. I say the only way they keep it as a bread and butter running play is if Colt keeps it more next year. which is highly unlikely because he is no speedster and he is vulnerable to injury. I agree, I think they need to use JC more in the passing game and GET HIM IN THE OPEN FIELD! that is where he is most effective. he needs to improve his ball carrying technique or something. WAY to many fumbles this year. i was shocked he didnt fumble in the Iowa game. I agree, I think they need to put him in a one back set or in the I, like OU does with Peterson 7 yards behidn the line and let him hit the whole at full speed. now he is not nearly as big as peterson but he is strong. or if we can get the zone blocking down on plays like that and let him hit the line and cut it back and slip into the secondary. I think the main reason we didnt see it much htis year was becuase it is hard to put in formations that you will run consistently at mid season. and because we lacked a good FB. hopefully cody johnson can help out with area. maybe even draw up some FB runs. Overall I think the Longhorns Offense will look a lot like it did with Simms next year, except with a little more shotgun. I thought JC should of gotten more time this season. I mean texas has always had a runningback by committee, even with benson, they would sub in Brett Robin and Selvin when he wasnt hurt. but I think clearly JC was the better back. It was good to see Selvin make a comeback this year, after so many injuries. but he was definately not was he used to be this year. a lot of our questions will be answered in a couple of months at the spring game. Im really anxious to see Chiles, Harris and some of the young DB's!

CalallenWildcat
01-09-2007, 10:08 PM
Just serviceable? Name a QB that played better than he did before he got hurt this year in the Big 12. His problem is that he's Vince Young's replacement. The kid tossed 29 TDs this season as a redshirt Freshman and people are still questioning him. Why? Because they saw Vince Young last year (who only tossed 26 TDs;) ) and nothing compares to his freakishness. I think that if he stays healthy Colt has a legit shot at the Heisman and a title before he's done at UT. He was already getting dark horse Heisman talk before he got injured this year....he's got the hype, the skills, and he's already working on the fame. Saved a dude's life. . .broke records as a redshirt freshman. . .came from a 2A school with one traffic light and no Dairy Queen. . .blah blah blah.;)

Name a QB in the Big XII with the high-caliber players around him that Colt had.

If you balance for that, Zac Taylor and Chase Daniel were both AT LEAST as good as Colt. I'm sure I'm missing someone as well.

I saw a redshirt freshman QB play who had very similar stats to Colt with much lesser players around him. Granted, he did not play in the Big XII, but my dad (a UT fan who thinks Colt will lead UT to another NC before he graduates despite the fact that he isn't Vince Young) even thinks this player has the talent of Colt McCoy: Justin Willis of SMU. Now I'm an SMU fan and I'm not so crazy as to think that Conference USA defenses are as good as Big XII defenses, but I know that McCoy had a lot more talent around him than Willis did and even Greg Davis calls better plays than SMU's Rusty Burns, and Willis still put up stats that read: 182-270 (67.4%), 2047 passing yds, 26 TDs, 6 INTs, 158.42 QB Rating, 354 rushing yds and 3 rush TDs...McCoy's stats were 217-318 (68.2%), 2570 yds, 29 TDs, 7 INTs, 161.82 QB rating, 170 rushing yards, 2 Rush TDs...so McCoy isn't some superhuman beast like some people make him out to be.

LitanyofFury
01-09-2007, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by CalallenWildcat
Name a QB in the Big XII with the high-caliber players around him that Colt had.

If you balance for that, Zac Taylor and Chase Daniel were both AT LEAST as good as Colt. I'm sure I'm missing someone as well.

I saw a redshirt freshman QB play who had very similar stats to Colt with much lesser players around him. Granted, he did not play in the Big XII, but my dad (a UT fan who thinks Colt will lead UT to another NC before he graduates despite the fact that he isn't Vince Young) even thinks this player has the talent of Colt McCoy: Justin Willis of SMU. Now I'm an SMU fan and I'm not so crazy as to think that Conference USA defenses are as good as Big XII defenses, but I know that McCoy had a lot more talent around him than Willis did and even Greg Davis calls better plays than SMU's Rusty Burns, and Willis still put up stats that read: 182-270 (67.4%), 2047 passing yds, 26 TDs, 6 INTs, 158.42 QB Rating, 354 rushing yds and 3 rush TDs...McCoy's stats were 217-318 (68.2%), 2570 yds, 29 TDs, 7 INTs, 161.82 QB rating, 170 rushing yards, 2 Rush TDs...so McCoy isn't some superhuman beast like some people make him out to be.

What is up with all these people always claiming that UT players are always blown out of proportion. Is it a coping mechanism because UT has been doing so well lately? People said the same thing about Vince and now they're saying it about Colt.

No one has ever said Colt is a "superhuman beast". People are just excited because the kid broke UT passing records as a redshirt freshman and he was a 3-star recruit from a 2A school. You claim that ANYONE could do what he did with all the talent he had. Well, which UT receivers got national awards? I don't believe a single one did. It's been admitted by just about everyone that the Horns running game stunk so obviously that didn't help him and according to everyone and their dog Greg Davis is an idiot that gimps the offense. . .so Colt had to overcome that as well I suppose. Only 1 player on the O-Line got any real recognition and that was Blaylock who wasn't even playing his normal position half the year.

So, you can't have it both ways. Either UT has the best players around and is uber elite and Greg Davis is an offensive mastermind. . .or Colt McCoy is a damn sight better than the other QBs around while only being a redshirt freshman. Sorry, but Chase Daniel was ok but overrated. Zac Taylor was fairly terrible when it counted and didn't deserve the 1st team Big 12 AT ALL.

Also. . .let's not try and compare kids who play in Conference USA and go 6-6 to kids playing in the Big 12 who win 10 games and are the backbone of their team.;)

Only kid worth talking about there is Kolb of Houston.

neck_06
01-09-2007, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by Astrosdawg07
1. Florida (64) 13-1 1,624
2. Ohio State 12-1 1,492
3. LSU 11-2 1,452
4. USC 11-2 1,389
5. Boise State (1) 13-0 1,383

Boisie State still gets NO RESPECT!!!! how do two one loss teams get put ahead of an undefeated team? what do they have to do?

i do like the fact that someone had the gull to give them a first place vote.

CalallenWildcat
01-10-2007, 12:41 AM
What is up with all these people always claiming that UT players are always blown out of proportion. Is it a coping mechanism because UT has been doing so well lately? People said the same thing about Vince and now they're saying it about Colt.

No one has ever said Colt is a "superhuman beast". People are just excited because the kid broke UT passing records as a redshirt freshman and he was a 3-star recruit from a 2A school. You claim that ANYONE could do what he did with all the talent he had. Well, which UT receivers got national awards? I don't believe a single one did. It's been admitted by just about everyone that the Horns running game stunk so obviously that didn't help him and according to everyone and their dog Greg Davis is an idiot that gimps the offense. . .so Colt had to overcome that as well I suppose. Only 1 player on the O-Line got any real recognition and that was Blaylock who wasn't even playing his normal position half the year.

So, you can't have it both ways. Either UT has the best players around and is uber elite and Greg Davis is an offensive mastermind. . .or Colt McCoy is a damn sight better than the other QBs around while only being a redshirt freshman. Sorry, but Chase Daniel was ok but overrated. Zac Taylor was fairly terrible when it counted and didn't deserve the 1st team Big 12 AT ALL.

Also. . .let's not try and compare kids who play in Conference USA and go 6-6 to kids playing in the Big 12 who win 10 games and are the backbone of their team.;)

Only kid worth talking about there is Kolb of Houston.

1) Not saying that UT players are ALWAYS blown out of proportion...I was a believer that VY was that good from the beginning. I didn't think he'd have this much instant success in the NFL though, but he has proved me wrong on that. And I always like to see UT do well so I'm not trying to cope or anything.

2) Didn't claim that "ANYONE" could do what Colt did...just many servicable QBs can. UT's receivers didn't get national awards because they are among the most underrated in the country...I've said that since last year and no one listens. UT's running game wasn't terribly bad when Charles was in...Selvin fumbles too much though. Greg Davis should not have run so many zone reads. I used to think he was the worst OC in the country, until I saw SMU and Rusty Burns. The UT O-line wasn't as good as last year, but it was still one of the better ones in the Big XII...In short, UT had more offensive talent than anyone in the Big XII and the only true hamper to Colt was some of the Davis playcalling.

3) Give Chase Daniel the talent Colt had around him, and see what he can do with it. Same goes for Zac Taylor who did quite well even with that idiot coach Callahan calling the shots in Nebraska...you said he was "fairly terrible" when it counted but he led a touchdown drive in the last minutes against Texas A&M IN COLLEGE STATION, while McCoy had a terrible game against A&M (but I will say he may have been injured). UT played A&M in Austin.

4) If you haven't seen Justin Willis play, go see him. Research a few of the past SMU QBs...Willis set many SMU passing records as a freshman and is the best QB since Ramon Flanigan...I believe he is the first SMU QB with more than 10 passing touchdowns since Flanigan as well. Kolb has a much better supporting cast than Willis has at SMU...UH almost beat South Carolina.

g$$
01-10-2007, 02:12 AM
Kevin Kolb will play on Sundays. Projected now in the 2nd round & may move up. Has all the tools: big arm, good feet, good size, intangibles. Once he plays in a pro style offense, look out.

The SMU kid is good. I have seen him play. Not much around him either.