PDA

View Full Version : Blu Ray claims victory over HD-DVD

Adidas410s
01-09-2007, 02:57 PM
Only a few months after Blu-ray and HD DVD hit the shelves, the Blu-ray Disc Association has the audacity to declare Blu-ray victorious as "the premiere high definition DVD format of choice".

"The success of Blu-ray Disc is unprecedented," said Andy Parsons, chair of the U.S. Promotions Committee for the Blu-ray Disc Association. "Consumers have voted with their wallets."

Reading over the latest propaganda coming out of each camp, here's the current state of play;

- Blu-ray has announced "almost 170 movie and music titles", while HD DVD has announced "more than 300 additional movie titles that will be available this year, for an expected total of more than 600 titles worldwide".

- HD DVD claims "more than 175,000 HD DVD players sold in North America" while Blu-ray insists "more than one million Sony PlayStation 3 units, each featuring a Blu-ray Disc drive, were shipped to the United States in 2006".

- Blu-ray enjoys the support of "seven of the eight major Hollywood studios and two biggest players in the music industry" while HD DVD boasts "more than 41 studios and distributors supporting HD DVD worldwide".

Despite all this, the Blu-ray camp has the nerve to kicks of its latest release with; "The Blu-ray Disc Association today declared its victory as the premiere high definition DVD format of choice".

They base the claim on an analyst's report; "Understanding & Solutions, Ltd., a leading market analyst projects continually increasing market share for Blu-ray Disc beginning in 2007, and predicts that by 2010 virtually all HD optical disc hardware sold will be Blu-ray hardware, with all but the smallest fraction of movie content also on Blu-ray only."

The rustling noise you can hear is the HD-DVD camp reaching deep into its bag of tricks to pull out its own analyst's report which, my psychic powers tell me, will declare HD DVD ahead of the game if not already over the line.

The shots are firing thick and fast in one of the most interesting format wars of our time, but only someone starting to believe their own press releases could declare the war is over.

mwynn05
01-09-2007, 03:06 PM
From what I understand HD DVD is winning

Cameron Crazy
01-09-2007, 03:46 PM
I have played the Ps3 and wasnt happy with the graphics, extra feautres its wasnt good at all.

Adidas410s
01-09-2007, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Cameron Crazy
I have played the Ps3 and wasnt happy with the graphics, extra feautres its wasnt good at all.
Where did you play it?? The graphics, gameplay, etc are only going to be at their best when played on an HDTV with the proper cables.

un b weavable
01-09-2007, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by Cameron Crazy

I dont even know how to respond to this comment. Are you sure you've played or even seen a PS3. :confused:

Cameron Crazy
01-09-2007, 04:36 PM
My friend has one and i have a HDTV and played on a reg tv the game was lame.

AggieJohn
01-09-2007, 04:37 PM
i hear hd dvd sucks tail, it's nothing different for the price

TMer25
01-09-2007, 04:58 PM
HD DVD is winning the software sales battle so far. But so far at CES, Blu Ray has definitely made a bigger impression with some of the titles they have announced for 2007.

TMer25
01-09-2007, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
i hear hd dvd sucks tail, it's nothing different for the price

Someone filled your head with some baloney.

Adidas410s
01-09-2007, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by TMer25
Someone filled your head with some baloney.
well he did attend that one school...;)

Emerson1
01-09-2007, 05:09 PM
HD DVD would be selling alot to if MS forced people to buy it with the 360.

TMer25
01-09-2007, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
well he did attend that one school...;)

Lol, I wasn't going to be the one to say it.