PDA

View Full Version : pesos for pizza in Dallas

Adidas410s
01-09-2007, 10:39 AM
By KAREN ROBINSON-JACOBS / The Dallas Morning News

Starting Monday, patrons of the Dallas-based Pizza Patrón chain, which caters heavily to Latinos, will be able to purchase American pizzas with Mexican pesos.

Restaurant experts and economists said they knew of no other food chain with locations so far from the Mexican border offering such a service.

"We're trying to reach out to our core customer," Antonio Swad, president of Pizza Patrón Inc., said Friday.

"We know they come back [from Mexico] and have pesos left over. We want to be a convenient place for them to spend their pesos."

While U.S. restaurant chains have stepped up their marketing to Latino consumers and incorporated Latin flavors in the menu, it's unusual to see that outreach extend to the cash register.

"I think it's a very interesting idea," said Ron Paul, president of Technomic Inc., a Chicago-based restaurant market research firm. "They are catering to that audience."

But Mr. Paul said he did not see other chains rushing to emulate the program, in part because of bookkeeping headaches.

Usefulness
Others mentioned that the growing use of credit cards and the desire to hang on to the pesos for a return trip to Mexico would dilute the usefulness of the program.

"If you're not in a border town, I don't see the functional benefit," said Juan Faura, president and chief executive of Cultura, a Dallas-based marketing and advertising firm.

He and others saw the program more as a marketing effort than a badly needed service.

"I would see it as a move by the chain to communicate unequivocally to the Hispanic market that they are for them," Mr. Faura said.

"I don't see any other reason for it."

But Andrew Gamm, Pizza Patrón's director of brand development, said the company tested the idea in a Mesquite store recently and had customers spend "a couple hundred pesos," without any advertisement of the service.

Bills only
Under the program – which is set to end in late February but may be extended – the chain's 59 stores will take peso bills only, not coins.

Using cards listing the conversion calculations, cashiers will enter the figure in U.S. dollars into the cash register and give the change in U.S. currency.

Mr. Swad said some franchisees have made arrangements with their banks to handle the currency.

All other franchisees can send the pesos to the corporate headquarters, which will go to a third party to handle the conversion.

Mr. Gamm said the company set its exchange rate at 12 pesos per dollar for the duration of the program. As of Friday's trading, 10.94 pesos were worth $1, according to Bloomberg News.

Mr. Gamm said the difference would cover the cost of getting the pesos converted to dollars.

Mr. Swad said he's prepared to take heat from American consumers who might be offended by the bypassing of greenbacks.

"We're not really interested in finding the safest spot on the board," Mr. Swad said.

About 60 percent of Pizza Patrón customers and 45 percent of the franchisees are Latino.

"We know the purity of our intention, and we're willing to take the heat when there is heat."

E-mail krobinson@dallasnews.com

crzyjournalist03
01-09-2007, 12:35 PM
You're in our country, use our currency!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

JJ7997
01-09-2007, 12:51 PM
They dont want to spend OUR money here, when they can send it home and hurt our economy.

luvhoops34
01-09-2007, 01:07 PM
That's why they have currency exchanges....:mad:

It's a free country and I guess they can do what they want to, but it sure is depressing....:(

Adidas410s
01-09-2007, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by JJ7997
They dont want to spend OUR money here, when they can send it home and hurt our economy.

Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
You're in our country, use our currency!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

I think you're missing the point here. They are still paying the same rate as Americans are with US Dollars. They are simply using another form of currency and then paying the exchange rate (plus a small premium) in this case. If anything, this system is actually helping the economy (or in this case this company) in that they are charging a premium above the going exchange rate. Should the dollar weaken against the peso, they can make an additional premium when converting the money to USD.

zeus63
01-09-2007, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
I think you're missing the point here. They are still paying the same rate as Americans are with US Dollars. They are simply using another form of currency and then paying the exchange rate (plus a small premium) in this case. If anything, this system is actually helping the economy (or in this case this company) in that they are charging a premium above the going exchange rate. Should the dollar weaken against the peso, they can make an additional premium when converting the money to USD.

Good call.

Matthew328
01-09-2007, 08:09 PM
they are a private business...if they wanna accept pesos, or whatever doesn't matter to me....heard the pizza blows anyway..LOL

carter08
01-09-2007, 08:12 PM
Someone at my school said he was going to go to Dallas and burn down said pizza place

Matthew328
01-09-2007, 08:14 PM
good luck with all that...there's like 57 of em

CalallenWildcat
01-09-2007, 08:58 PM
Have you people ever been to Mexico? A lot of places that cater to Americans take American dollars there. If a place in Dallas caters to a primarily Latino population that comes and goes from Mexico a lot, they should be able to accept pesos.

I hope all of you people who are against this don't use an American dollar the next time you go to Mexico.

CalallenWildcat
01-09-2007, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by carter08
Someone at my school said he was going to go to Dallas and burn down said pizza place

Why did you say that carter? :D

crzyjournalist03
01-09-2007, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by CalallenWildcat
Have you people ever been to Mexico? A lot of places that cater to Americans take American dollars there. If a place in Dallas caters to a primarily Latino population that comes and goes from Mexico a lot, they should be able to accept pesos.

I hope all of you people who are against this don't use an American dollar the next time you go to Mexico.

I wouldn't...every time I leave the country, I do the duty of exchanging my own currency...forget catering!

Matthew328
01-09-2007, 09:36 PM
You are a rare breed....most of my friends who go to Mexico just use the dollar

carter08
01-09-2007, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by CalallenWildcat
Why did you say that carter? :D

no
i said i was going to take a euro there and buy pizza with it

CalallenWildcat
01-09-2007, 09:57 PM
no

hahaha that would be awesome :D

You are a rare breed....most of my friends who go to Mexico just use the dollar

Ditto.

JR2004
01-10-2007, 12:35 AM
no

Now this is something I'd pay money to watch. I'd love to see how they'd react to someone wanting to pay with a Euro!

piratebg
01-10-2007, 12:48 AM
There is a Pizza Patron a couple of blocks away from my mother's house in Austin. I've never really had any interest in trying it out, but I do know that they are not just in Dallas.

ASUFrisbeeStud
01-10-2007, 12:49 AM
I ate at a dominos in mexico one time and used american dollars.

pancho villa
01-10-2007, 08:48 AM
Pancho says save your pesos to buy Tequila and Bud Light.

La pizza es para italianos grasientos

Ingleside Fan
01-10-2007, 03:20 PM
Free Market System! The United States is built on capitalist system to make money. I have been to many countries that take our dollar without thinking twice. They return their currency at the exchange rate. We should not have a problem with their currency; we should have the problem with the illegal aliens. If a Mexican or anyone else comes here for vacation or business trip we should make it has easy as possible for them to spend their money here. Quit being protectionist!!!