PDA

View Full Version : Final Poll Results AP/Coaches

LitanyofFury
01-09-2007, 04:12 AM
Poll Results (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/rankingsindex)

A few of my observations:

1. Congrats Boise St., but let's be serious. You beat the Sooners who got beatdown by the Horns, who barely beat the Aggies, and who were a shadow of their former selves. Bob Stoops has now made it a tradition to screw up in bowl games and you guys took advantage of that. Be happy with your #5/#6 ranking.

2. Continuing on the Sooner track. . .Oklahoma doesn't deserve to be ranked 11th and especially not above the Longhorns. Of course I'm biased in this matter, but really. . .who did they beat the entire year? Not a single ranked team. They then capped their season off with the first loss in a BCS game by ANY team to a mid-major. :clap:

3. Louisville, West Virginia, and Rutgers being in the Top 15 is a joke. They used cupcakes schedules to coast through the regular season and then got paired up with easy teams to beat. Wake Forest? Seriously, I didn't know they played football until this year. Kansas State? Other than the upset over the Horns they stink. Tho they will be getting a lot better with Prince at the helm and Freeman at QB. WVU over Georgia Tech? They had to pull their butts outta the fire and GT didn't even have its starting QB. The Big Least went 5-0 because the bowl presidents set them up with cupcake games to further try and legitimize that conference that should have been split up when Miami and VT jumped ship. Petrino is gone now (like everyone other than Kentucky hillbillies knew he would be) and I wouldn't be surprised to see Schiano and Rodriguez gone soon as well. Then the conference will sink back into obscurity.

4. Does ND REALLY deserve to be in the Top 25?

5. As seen by the polls. . .the Big 12 stunk it up. Thank God for the Horns, Red Raiders, and Pokes pulling it out of the fire or the conference wouldda had an 0'fer. Pretty sad overall, but the future looks a lot better considering all the young QBs starting.

6. Finally, congrats TCU. This program doesn't get talked about a lot but they consistently win a lot of games each year. They'll be rebuilding in '07 but I'm glad they're on the Horns' schedule.

These are my OPINIONS. Don't freak out.;)

g$$
01-09-2007, 04:21 AM
You better rethink that comment about TCU rebuilding in '07? Not so fast - they return a good team/lots of starters & the back-up qb got experience this year (Jackson). DE Tommy Blake has another year too & he will play on Sundays, some good RBs too. Fast, aggressive defense. Patterson has a solid program going in Fort Worth. They will roll into Austin & give Texas a game, bank on it. One of the best games in September. They have beaten OU, Baylor, & Tech in the past 2 years. I believe they have won 11 (or is it 10?) games 4/5 years. They play in a lesser conference, but still impressive.

Could Texas be next?

LitanyofFury
01-09-2007, 04:35 AM
Originally posted by g$$
You better rethink that comment about TCU. Rebuilding? Not so fast - they return a good team/lots of starters & the back-up qb got experience this year (Jackson). DE Tommy Blake has another year too & he will play on Sundays. Patterson has a solid program going in Fort Worth. They will roll into Austin & give Texas a game, bank on it. One of the best games in September. They have beaten OU, Baylor, & Tech in the past 2 years. I believe they have won 11 games 4/5 years (albeit a weak conference, but still impressive).

Could Texas be next?

Shrug. Possible? Yes. Probable? Nope.

Now what Giant-killers does ol' Franochino have lined up for the Aggies in '07 OOC? Is the mighty Citadel gonna be back on the list?

g$$
01-09-2007, 04:43 AM
Originally posted by LitanyofFury
Shrug. Possible? Yes. Probable? Nope.

Now what Giant-killers does ol' Franochino have lined up for the Aggies in '07 OOC? Is the mighty Citadel gonna be back on the list?

Miami (FL) is on it, plus some cupcakes. Away schedule is brutal including Miami, Mizzou, Tech, OU, & Nebraska. It will not be easy.

I predict Fran survives one more season & is dismissed after next year. He has 2 wins against the top 4 in the Big 12 in 4 years, 2 blow-out bowl losses, the worst loss in school history (77-0), & is a sparkling 25-23 overall. Add in next year's schedule & it spells curtains for him. Big deal that he beat Texas ONCE. I root for A&M b/c it's my alma mater, but I can't stand that arrogant, pompous joke of a coach. A&M should be better with the $$, resources, & facilities available there to win consistently. The infrastructure is there, not the HC in my opinion. Look what Billy G has done in a short time in basketball (#9), then compare to Fran. Case closed.

g$$
01-09-2007, 04:49 PM
BTW, I agree with you on ND. Way overrated as usual. They beat NO ONE this year worth a darn.

buff4life
01-09-2007, 05:38 PM
unless Miami does a complete 360....I would pick TCU over Miami...Miami still has athletes but not a good TEAM

g$$
01-09-2007, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by buff4life
unless Miami does a complete 360....I would pick TCU over Miami...Miami still has athletes but not a good TEAM

I like TCU as stated above, but Miami will rebound quickly IMO under Randy Shannon. The athletes are there, we all know that, just have to get things fixed. I expect them to be back into the mix quickly.

big daddy russ
01-09-2007, 06:36 PM
1. OU's a lot better than people give them credit for. They got better every week at the end of the season and turned out to be a much better squad in week 14 than when they played UT.

2. The Big East is much better than anyone gives them credit for. The big three beat up on each other, then beat up on other conferences. Louisville and WVU have filled the power vacuum in the conference and Rutgers doesn't look like it's going anywhere, so they should all be back next year. Also, look for Syracuse, Pitt, South Florida, and possibly UConn to start building more respectable programs (solid mid-level BCS programs... in the mold of TAMU, South Carolina, UCLA, etc.) over the next few years.

3. Michael Bush and Bobby Petrino may be gone, but if Louisville can keep Brian Brohm in the mix then they should be back again next year. My guess is they hire from within and keep the same system, and that system worked even when both Brohm and Bush were out.

4. Okie State and K-State will be the surprise teams of the Big XII next year. Both had a bunch of good, young players and QB's who look like future studs. I'm up in the air about A&M taking that step up towards being an elite team (so far, Fran's been great in even-numbered years but horrible in odd-numbered years) and could easily see OSU leapfrogging the Ags and Raiders in the South and K-State passing up Nebraska in the North. The Big XII may actually start to look like a football conference again in '07.

g$$
01-09-2007, 06:41 PM
All good points. Agreed on the Big East, better than most think.

I think Fran goes down in flames next year too.

LitanyofFury
01-09-2007, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
1. OU's a lot better than people give them credit for. They got better every week at the end of the season and turned out to be a much better squad in week 14 than when they played UT.

2. The Big East is much better than anyone gives them credit for. The big three beat up on each other, then beat up on other conferences. Louisville and WVU have filled the power vacuum in the conference and Rutgers doesn't look like it's going anywhere, so they should all be back next year. Also, look for Syracuse, Pitt, South Florida, and possibly UConn to start building more respectable programs (solid mid-level BCS programs... in the mold of TAMU, South Carolina, UCLA, etc.) over the next few years.

3. Michael Bush and Bobby Petrino may be gone, but if Louisville can keep Brian Brohm in the mix then they should be back again next year. My guess is they hire from within and keep the same system, and that system worked even when both Brohm and Bush were out.

4. Okie State and K-State will be the surprise teams of the Big XII next year. Both had a bunch of good, young players and QB's who look like future studs. I'm up in the air about A&M taking that step up towards being an elite team (so far, Fran's been great in even-numbered years but horrible in odd-numbered years) and could easily see OSU leapfrogging the Ags and Raiders in the South and K-State passing up Nebraska in the North. The Big XII may actually start to look like a football conference again in '07.

1. I respectfully disagree here. How can you say that OU got better when they lost Peterson??? They play rather so so the entire last half of their season. After they lost Peterson against Iowa St:

Beat Colorado 24-7. Wow, the Buffs stunk.

Beat Mizzou handily 26-10 before everyone realized how dreadfully overrated they and the SLC kid were.

Then things get rough.

They squeaked it out over the Aggies by a point in a game where Paul Thompson passed for what? 30 yards?

Beat Tech by 10 at home and that game was CLOSE.

Beat Baylor handily.

Squeaked it out over the Pokes 27-21.

Handled Nebraska who wasn't ready to play in the championship game they backed into.

Lost to the Smurfs.

OU was NOT the same team we've seen the past few years. I mean you shouldn't have to say anything past brand-new O-Line and receiver playing QB.

2. Again, I respectfully disagree. Which Top 25 teams did the Big Least beat this season other than other Big Least teams who didn't deserve to be ranked that high? The Big East scheduled the cellar dwellars from the other conferences to inflate its OOC record and then got paired up with easy games during bowl season. Do you REALLY think Rutgers or Louisville or West Virginia would have given LSU, Florida, USC, Michigan a game? Really? I mean, West Virginia was king. . .then the Cards upset them. . .then the Cards were king until Rutgers (losingest team in college football history) upset them. . .then Rutgers gets TROUNCED by Cincinatti. It was ridiculous. If you go back and look up the history of these football teams you'll see that they all were fairly terrible until the legit teams in that conference jumped ship. A few years ago Rutgers didn't even win a football game and West Virginia's only win was over guess who. . .Rutgers like 80-10 or something. You have to realize that there are a LOT of viewers on the East Coast. It's a heavily populated area and the bowl presidents and the TV people (like ESPN who's been repping that conference like they are lovers) NEED that conference to be legit. They know the teams stink but they NEED people to think the conference is the real deal so people tune into the games and make them money. Otherwise they'd have to dissolve the conference and POOF!. . .there goes a HUGE portion of your ratings and ad dollars.

3. Louisville was only so-so this year WITH Petrino (beat K. State, West Virginia and an atrocious Miami squad and then finished in the Orange Bowl with Wake freaking Forest). Even if they keep Brohm (which isn't a certainty) they aren't going to be legit contenders next year. It will be interesting to see how many recruits (like Matt Simms, Chris Simm's little brother) jump ship now that Petrino has gone to the Falcons.

4. I TOTALLY agree on this point. The Big 12 is going to make a major comeback in '07. Every team in the South division excluding the Bears are going to be good and the North is going to be getting a lot better.

Emerson1
01-09-2007, 07:38 PM
Didn't something like 8/12 teams in the big12 start a QB who had 1 year or less of experience? Plus Nebraska will have ASU's old QB.

Texas
Kansas St.
A&M
Okie Lite
Missouri
Texas Tech

I know there is more than that

big daddy russ
01-09-2007, 09:07 PM
1. I respectfully disagree here. How can you say that OU got better when they lost Peterson??? They play rather so so the entire last half of their season. After they lost Peterson against Iowa St:

Beat Colorado 24-7. Wow, the Buffs stunk.

Beat Mizzou handily 26-10 before everyone realized how dreadfully overrated they and the SLC kid were.

Then things get rough.

They squeaked it out over the Aggies by a point in a game where Paul Thompson passed for what? 30 yards?

Beat Tech by 10 at home and that game was CLOSE.

Beat Baylor handily.

Squeaked it out over the Pokes 27-21.

Handled Nebraska who wasn't ready to play in the championship game they backed into.

Lost to the Smurfs.

OU was NOT the same team we've seen the past few years. I mean you shouldn't have to say anything past brand-new O-Line and receiver playing QB.
They actually DID get better after Peterson went down. A lot of people think that losing your best player often means becoming a worse team, but that's not always the case, especially at a football factory like OU.

Consider this: before Peterson went down, OU suffered two losses. Granted, one shouldn't have been a loss, but it was there anyways. After Peterson went down, Allen Patrick did a fine job of picking up the slack until the postseason. He had games of 110, 157, 173, and 163. In the postseason, he saw limited action in the Nebraska game, then shared time with Peterson in a Fiesta Bowl that OU spent most of the time trying to get back in the game.

And you're talking about Mizzou, Tech, TAMU, and OSU like they're dreadful teams, but they were all on about the same level as UT and Oregon (well, the Ducks squad that we saw the first half of the season). And you acknowledged that a bunch of these teams were dangerous when you said this:

4. I TOTALLY agree on this point. The Big 12 is going to make a major comeback in '07. Every team in the South division excluding the Bears are going to be good and the North is going to be getting a lot better.

I know you're biased, but OU was actually a very good team deserving of a spot in the top 15. The Broncos couldn't do much against them during the last three quarters (3rd, 4th, and OT) with the exception of trick plays.

2. Again, I respectfully disagree. Which Top 25 teams did the Big Least beat this season other than other Big Least teams who didn't deserve to be ranked that high? The Big East scheduled the cellar dwellars from the other conferences to inflate its OOC record and then got paired up with easy games during bowl season. Do you REALLY think Rutgers or Louisville or West Virginia would have given LSU, Florida, USC, Michigan a game? Really? I mean, West Virginia was king. . .then the Cards upset them. . .then the Cards were king until Rutgers (losingest team in college football history) upset them. . .then Rutgers gets TROUNCED by Cincinatti. It was ridiculous. If you go back and look up the history of these football teams you'll see that they all were fairly terrible until the legit teams in that conference jumped ship. A few years ago Rutgers didn't even win a football game and West Virginia's only win was over guess who. . .Rutgers like 80-10 or something. You have to realize that there are a LOT of viewers on the East Coast. It's a heavily populated area and the bowl presidents and the TV people (like ESPN who's been repping that conference like they are lovers) NEED that conference to be legit. They know the teams stink but they NEED people to think the conference is the real deal so people tune into the games and make them money. Otherwise they'd have to dissolve the conference and POOF!. . .there goes a HUGE portion of your ratings and ad dollars.
Cincy was another team that I meant to throw in there with Syracuse, Pitt, and the bunch. Thanks.

Oh, and top 25 teams they beat included Wake Forest and Georgia Tech. I know everyone overlooks them because they were a no-name until this year, but Wake was a very solid team. One of the best-coached teams in the nation. GT was easily a second-tier team, and every once in a while they were a first-tier team. At least when Reggie Ball showed up to play.

5-0 in bowl games. They must be doing something right.

3. Louisville was only so-so this year WITH Petrino (beat K. State, West Virginia and an atrocious Miami squad and then finished in the Orange Bowl with Wake freaking Forest). Even if they keep Brohm (which isn't a certainty) they aren't going to be legit contenders next year. It will be interesting to see how many recruits (like Matt Simms, Chris Simm's little brother) jump ship now that Petrino has gone to the Falcons.
We'll see, but as down as college football was this year they could've competed with anyone during any given week. I doubt any team in the nation improves enough to take them to the woodshed next year if Brohm stays on. As long as he stays around, their biggest question doesn't concern the talent on the field at Papa John's, it's all about the guy with the headset.

LitanyofFury
01-09-2007, 09:12 PM
OU might not be a "football factory" too much longer. Their recruiting isn't going so hot. . .they'll have a JuCo starting at QB next year. . .and they've got the NCAA shadow hanging over their entire program. Losing to a mid-major in the Fiesta Bowl didn't help either....

big daddy russ
01-09-2007, 09:24 PM
They haven't had a lot of commits, but they're picking up almost exclusively high-profile commits. Something like nine of their 15 verbals are four- or five-star, and another two or three are three-stars. Their roster's pretty loaded down, so they're just doing what UT did from about '03 to '05 and concentrating more on the guys they want than filling out a roster.

And don't forget, they had a spaghetti-armed JuCo QB a few years back. Some kid named Heupel. He did alright.

TexanAlum_06
01-09-2007, 09:32 PM
Very good points made here. one of the first threads I have read in a while that I wanted to finish reading. lol. I think Fran will be gone after this year as well. I believe only 2 wins against UT,OU,Tech, and Nebraska in 4 years isnt going to cut it. I agree with G$$, TCU is a solid program and is without a doubt the biggest trap game on the schedule for the longhorns. The trip east to college station will be no slouch either but A&M could be undefeated or have 4 or 5 losses by that time considering their road schedule. but either way it wont be easy. and lastly.... I think the Big 12 will return to form next year with every team returning lots of young talent. excluding Baylor and maybe kansas. but you never know. god I already cant wait for september. Im already feeling the PCFSD!
( Post-College-Football-Season-Depression ) and its only 1 day after the end of the season.:(

LitanyofFury
01-09-2007, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
They haven't had a lot of commits, but they're picking up almost exclusively high-profile commits. Something like nine of their 15 verbals are four- or five-star, and another two or three are three-stars. Their roster's pretty loaded down, so they're just doing what UT did from about '03 to '05 and concentrating more on the guys they want than filling out a roster.

And don't forget, they had a spaghetti-armed JuCo QB a few years back. Some kid named Heupel. He did alright.

Yeah, and this Hazle kid or w/e ain't no Huepel. That's why Stoops has been burning up the phone lines with QBs committed elsewhere. He thought Blowmar was gonna last him a few years. If the NCAA sanctions OU tho kiss their program and Stoops goodbye.

TexanAlum_06
01-09-2007, 10:01 PM
Out of curiosity why would the NCAA sanction OU? Did I miss something? or would they be sanctioned from what happened with Bomar?

LitanyofFury
01-09-2007, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by TexanAlum_06
Out of curiosity why would the NCAA sanction OU? Did I miss something? or would they be sanctioned from what happened with Bomar?

The NCAA has set up shop in Norman. They're going over the entire program because of the Bomar/Quinn/carwash scandal. Not to mention the Peterson Lexus debacle and all sorts of other nonsense. Stoops said that they did an "internal investigation" and got everything cleared up. Obviously the NCAA didn't think that was good enough and decided to go in themselves.

30+ kids worked at that carwash and were on the OU football team. Hard to imagine that the starting QB and a linemen were the only ones getting paid for not working, ya know?

FormerBellvilleBrahma
01-09-2007, 11:43 PM

What about texas? Who will they play in there cup-cake games?Do you know the reason the Citadel was on the line up? Lets make fun of Texas A&M, but didnt that beat texas in austin this year?

88bobcats
01-10-2007, 12:56 AM
The NCAA has set up shop in Norman. They're going over the entire program because of the Bomar/Quinn/carwash scandal. Not to mention the Peterson Lexus debacle and all sorts of other nonsense. Stoops said that they did an "internal investigation" and got everything cleared up. Obviously the NCAA didn't think that was good enough and decided to go in themselves.

30+ kids worked at that carwash and were on the OU football team. Hard to imagine that the starting QB and a linemen were the only ones getting paid for not working, ya know?

The Aggies took it from behind after Greg Hill pulled his crap and then left for the NFL. The setback to A&M's program in terms of bowl games, recruiting, etc. echoed for years.

If OU doesn't get the same treatment, or worse after having even more players involved, then the NCAA is a laughable joke.

And in my opinion, after they're done with OU, the NCAA might want to head down to Tallahassee and look in on Bowden and Co.

88bobcats
01-10-2007, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by FormerBellvilleBrahma
What about texas? Who will they play in there cup-cake games?Do you know the reason the Citadel was on the line up? Lets make fun of Texas A&M, but didnt that beat texas in austin this year?

Don't get too worked up Brahma.....the 'horns always play a vicious North Texas team each year.

And that Rice game, where only about 40-45 thousand fair-weather t-shirt fans showed up after the 'horns lost to O-hype-o State, can be a killer.

Colt McCoy deserved his award and had an impressive freshman year, as much as I hate to admit it; but if Texas is so great, how do the then #4 'horns explain the 45 points given up to un-ranked K-State and then losing to the Ag's., whom LitanyofFury loves to bad-mouth, in Austin.

The Aggies didn't fare well against a good Cal team, no doubt about it. Still, LOF wants to extol an overrated Longhorn team that barely squeaked past a mediocre, un-ranked Iowa team? Texas is not #13 and should not be in the top 10 starting next year.....probably not even the top 15.

LitanyofFury
01-10-2007, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by 88bobcats
Don't get too worked up Brahma.....the 'horns always play a vicious North Texas team each year.

And that Rice game, where only about 40-45 thousand fair-weather t-shirt fans showed up after the 'horns lost to O-hype-o State, can be a killer.

Colt McCoy deserved his award and had an impressive freshman year, as much as I hate to admit it; but if Texas is so great, how do the then #4 'horns explain the 45 points given up to un-ranked K-State and then losing to the Ag's., whom LitanyofFury loves to bad-mouth, in Austin.

The Aggies didn't fare well against a good Cal team, no doubt about it. Still, LOF wants to extol an overrated Longhorn team that barely squeaked past a mediocre, un-ranked Iowa team? Texas is not #13 and should not be in the top 10 starting next year.....probably not even the top 15.

I wouldn't have said a damn thing if AJ didnt go off about Texas being ranked too high.

Face facts. If Colt doesn't get hurt we beat K. State, more than likely beat ATM and are AT LEAST playing the Smurfs in the Fiesta if not going to the title game in place of Florida.

And the Aggies didn't just "not fare well" against Cal. They got absolutely destroyed. Meanwhile, Iowa who ended up 6-6 got that record because of the massive injuries they had during the season. Those guys were healed up and the Hawkeyes came out to play.

Did Texas tank the end of the season when Colt went down? Heck yeah. Around Austin 10 wins is underachieving, while at most schools. . .like ATM. . .it's a once in a decade season if that.

And I'm glad you know more than Vegas about where the Horns should be ranked.;)

LitanyofFury
01-10-2007, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by FormerBellvilleBrahma

I TOTALLY agree. I wish we'd dump the cupcakes offa our schedule as well. However, we usually schedule at least one halfway decent team in there. Which of course ATM did this upcoming year with Miami. . .they couldn't know Miami would completely circle the drain. However, N. Texas is probably going to become a lot more competitive now that Dodge and his boys are up there.

And if you can't take some ribbing about your football team you need to either A) go see a therapist or B) stay away from everyone except those people wearing maroon.

88bobcats
01-10-2007, 01:25 AM
I wouldn't have said a damn thing if AJ didnt go off about Texas being ranked too high.

Face facts. If Colt doesn't get hurt we beat K. State, more than likely beat ATM and are AT LEAST playing the Smurfs in the Fiesta if not going to the title game in place of Florida.

And the Aggies didn't just "not fare well" against Cal. They got absolutely destroyed. Meanwhile, Iowa who ended up 6-6 got that record because of the massive injuries they had during the season. Those guys were healed up and the Hawkeyes came out to play.

Did Texas tank the end of the season when Colt went down? Heck yeah. Around Austin 10 wins is underachieving, while at most schools. . .like ATM. . .it's a once in a decade season if that.

You should study logic more. "If Colt doesn't get hurt we beat K. State, more than likely beat ATM and are AT LEAST playing the Smurfs in the Fiesta if not going to the title game in place of Florida." is not a fact.

I already admitted that Colt McCoy had a great season. I also admitted that my Aggies didn't end the season on a positive note. You, however, get called on all the "facts" you spew as universal truth and then resort to arguing about how Texas is great because they would've won if Colt didn't get hurt (opinion, not fact) or they barely beat a Hawkeye team that would've been a better opponent if they weren't hurt all season.

And Vegas is not an expert. They'll take anybody's money who's willing to bet on anything. Oddsmakers find enough fools to balance the $$$ and make sure they get a piece. Vegas, as Florida (who beat O-hype-o State who beat Texas who also lost to my Aggies) is usually wrong in college football. So, yes, I do think I know better where Texas belongs than Vegas does. Thank you for your support. I wish I could say I was glad you knew more.:hand:

g$$
01-10-2007, 01:48 AM

LOF, I am in no mood to argue, but Texas was not going to jump Florida. Both would have had 1 loss if all you said would have happened, but Florida had the edge. You know that as well as I know that. That is just fact. The computer #s favored the Gators. USC is who choked vs. UCLA. They were in with a win.

Justin Blalock will play G or C in the NFL, so he was actually playing most of this year at his natural position (so the scouts say). Texas' biggest offseason concerns will be offensive line & secondary. They lose 3 quality, multi-year OL starters in Blalock (All-American), Studdard, & Sendlein.

Yes, A&M got whipped vs. Cal. We also whipped Texas & controlled the LOS all day long. Remember that Texas defense allowing 42 yds./game rushing? Try 244 yds. on for size. Sure the score was only 12-7, but A&M beat Texas up all day. You know that too. Look at the #s for further proof. If "ifs & buts" were candy & nuts, we would have Christmas the year around! Doesn't work that way in the real world. Iowa was not good either, very avg. team lacking speed all year in the Big 10. It was not all injuries to blame. Texas was fortunate to win that ugly game.

TexanAlum_06
01-10-2007, 02:39 AM
Honestly I dont think Texas would of jumped florida. I dont feel like jumping into this argument. because it boils down to the fact that A&M fans and UT fans alike will never agree on anything very often. so theres no point in trying to prove the other wrong. because it will never happen. and even if it did the person who got proved wrong wont swallow some pride and admit it.lol. Yeah I openly admit we got whipped by the AGGIES. They deserved that victory.

from the time the aggie defense held on the 1 yard line it was one sided from there on out. end of story. and I notice some fans keep on implying that we got beat in Austin by the aggies... well yes we did. But IMHO Austin is not a very tough place to play. at all. I mean DKR will get rockin from time to time. OSU was pretty loud. so was Kstate 3 years ago. but its not that big of a surprise to me that teams beat us in austin. Thats why TCU scares me. and yeah I want to say that if colt wasnt hurt we wouldnt of lost the kstate and aggie game... which it might have made a difference. but it might not of. our defense couldnt stop kstate or the aggies if u held a gun to their head and told them their life depended on it. But I cant say im surprised. with the lack of effort and emotion texas deserved to lose at home to the ags. if we would of beat kstate, in my eyes we would of deserved a loss. because we played that poorly. and i was pretty distraught on how bad we played early on in the Iowa game.

Im about as big of a texas fan as they get. have been following them my whole life. dont attend UT because thats not the road im supposed to be traveling on. but I dont feel that makes me a T-shirt fan. I support them more then probably most UT students and Alumni. but im still a straight shooter. and i will admit when we get flatout beat. and we did.

I guess on an ending note. all streaks will come to an end. our 6 year stint over the aggies did. OU's 6 year streak over UT ended last year. USC's pac 10 undefeated conference record ended at the hands of UCLA. and somewhere down the line Southlake Carrolls streak will end. all just a matter of time. but thats the mystique of football. upsets happen. better teams get beat by underdogs. miracles occur(doug flutie and BC!!!) Its really what makes the greatest game ever created worth watching!

g$$
01-10-2007, 02:47 AM
Honestly I dont think Texas would of jumped florida. I dont feel like jumping into this argument. because it boils down to the fact that A&M fans and UT fans alike will never agree on anything very often. so theres no point in trying to prove the other wrong. because it will never happen. and even if it did the person who got proved wrong wont swallow some pride and admit it.lol. Yeah I openly admit we got whipped by the AGGIES. They deserved that victory.

from the time the aggie defense held on the 1 yard line it was one sided from there on out. end of story. and yeah I want to say that if colt wasnt hurt we wouldnt of lost the kstate and aggie game... which it might have made a difference. but it might not of. our defense couldnt stop kstate or the aggies if u held a gun to their head and told them their life depended on it. But I cant say im surprised. with the lack of effort and emotion texas deserved to lose at home to the ags. if we would of beat kstate, in my eyes we would of deserved a loss. because we played that poorly. and i was pretty distraught on how bad we played early on in the Iowa game.

Im about as big of a texas fan as they get. have been following them my whole life. dont attend UT because thats not the road im supposed to be traveling on. but I dont feel that makes me a T-shirt fan. I support them more then probably most UT students and Alumni. but im still a straight shooter. and i will admit when we get flatout beat. and we did.

I guess on an ending note. all streaks will come to an end. our 6 year stint over the aggies did. OU's 6 year streak over UT ended last year. USC's pac 10 undefeated conference record ended at the hands of UCLA. and somewhere down the line Southlake Carrolls streak will end. all just a matter of time. but thats the mystique of football. upsets happen. better teams get beat by underdogs. miracles occur(doug flutie and BC!!!) Its really what makes the greatest game ever created worth watching!

Great post & very objective. I try to be that way myself if you read my stuff. Some may argue, but I call it as I see it. (the 4th down stop was around the 10 yd. line though, not the 1 by Dodge).

You're not a t-shirt fan. Graduating is not the key here from a school. You have supported them your whole life, not just in the good times. HUGE difference from buying gear & jumping on the wagon. I respect that, have many in my family who support Texas every year (have a niece & nephew on scholarship there now playing sports). They're not t-shirt fans either. Just big fans.

TexanAlum_06
01-10-2007, 02:59 AM
oh ok thanks for correcting me. I thought it was the 1 yard line I hav consumed a few beers and slept since then. lol. so i couldnt really recall. Yeah I have 2 cousins that have graduated from A&M. it is a great school. I thought about attending there. but like I said about UT. It wasnt the road I was supposed to take. I have a lot of friends over there from wimberley and I have visited. its a good town. I have gone to a few games there too. Even though I might get hammered by a few of my own kin. the Aggie/OU game when reggie was a hero was the 2nd best game I have witnessed in person. that stadium was so loud I felt it shaking. great experience. right at the end when I believe Terrance Kiel intercepted that pass to seal the game. it was something I wont forget. BTW. I was looking at some of the old recruiting classes for the aggies and saw a name that sounded familiar. Jorrie Adams? whatever happened to him I remember him being a bigtime recruit when the ags landed him. what happend?

g$$
01-10-2007, 03:15 AM
oh ok thanks for correcting me. I thought it was the 1 yard line I hav consumed a few beers and slept since then. lol. so i couldnt really recall. Yeah I have 2 cousins that have graduated from A&M. it is a great school. I thought about attending there. but like I said about UT. It wasnt the road I was supposed to take. I have a lot of friends over there from wimberley and I have visited. its a good town. I have gone to a few games there too. Even though I might get hammered by a few of my own kin. the Aggie/OU game when reggie was a hero was the 2nd best game I have witnessed in person. that stadium was so loud I felt it shaking. great experience. right at the end when I believe Terrance Kiel intercepted that pass to seal the game. it was something I wont forget. BTW. I was looking at some of the old recruiting classes for the aggies and saw a name that sounded familiar. Jorrie Adams? whatever happened to him I remember him being a bigtime recruit when the ags landed him. what happend?

That was the extent of Reggie's career that day! Glad you had fun. Both are great schools.

Jorrie Adams got into legal & academic troubles while at A&M, kicked off team. Real piece of work, but very talented. We took Red Bryant in a package deal to get him & Red has turned out better (Red is a good person too). Last I heard Jorrie was back in Jasper doing nothing. Not playing anywhere. Real waste of talent. He was a national recruit.

LitanyofFury
01-10-2007, 03:21 AM
Originally posted by 88bobcats
You should study logic more. "If Colt doesn't get hurt we beat K. State, more than likely beat ATM and are AT LEAST playing the Smurfs in the Fiesta if not going to the title game in place of Florida." is not a fact.

I already admitted that Colt McCoy had a great season. I also admitted that my Aggies didn't end the season on a positive note. You, however, get called on all the "facts" you spew as universal truth and then resort to arguing about how Texas is great because they would've won if Colt didn't get hurt (opinion, not fact) or they barely beat a Hawkeye team that would've been a better opponent if they weren't hurt all season.

And Vegas is not an expert. They'll take anybody's money who's willing to bet on anything. Oddsmakers find enough fools to balance the $$$ and make sure they get a piece. Vegas, as Florida (who beat O-hype-o State who beat Texas who also lost to my Aggies) is usually wrong in college football. So, yes, I do think I know better where Texas belongs than Vegas does. Thank you for your support. I wish I could say I was glad you knew more.:hand:

And I'd jsut bet you picked USC over Texas when Vegas had Texas by 1 1/2.;)

Seriously tho. . .the Horns would've beaten KSU easily if Colt hadn't gotten hurt. It was fairly obvious Jevan wasn't ready and the defense knew it was gonna be screwed and played like it. Then, Colt comes back obviously less than 100% against ATM and throws 3 picks when he'd only thrown 4 the entire year before that. So I'm guessing we would've scored more than 12 points if he'd been ready to go.

The Horns do have a problem with playing down to their competition and not playing well when they don't go to a bowl they think they deserve. That's probably the reason for Iowa's fast start against them.

And you obviously don't know too much if you're an Aggie fan.:thumbsup:

LitanyofFury
01-10-2007, 03:23 AM
Originally posted by g$$
LOF, I am in no mood to argue, but Texas was not going to jump Florida. Both would have had 1 loss if all you said would have happened, but Florida had the edge. You know that as well as I know that. That is just fact. The computer #s favored the Gators. USC is who choked vs. UCLA. They were in with a win.

Justin Blalock will play G or C in the NFL, so he was actually playing most of this year at his natural position (so the scouts say). Texas' biggest offseason concerns will be offensive line & secondary. They lose 3 quality, multi-year OL starters in Blalock (All-American), Studdard, & Sendlein.

Yes, A&M got whipped vs. Cal. We also whipped Texas & controlled the LOS all day long. Remember that Texas defense allowing 42 yds./game rushing? Try 244 yds. on for size. Sure the score was only 12-7, but A&M beat Texas up all day. You know that too. Look at the #s for further proof. If "ifs & buts" were candy & nuts, we would have Christmas the year around! Doesn't work that way in the real world. Iowa was not good either, very avg. team lacking speed all year in the Big 10. It was not all injuries to blame. Texas was fortunate to win that ugly game.

Polls are made up 2/3rds by human voters. If UT's only loss was to OSU then I'm guessing a LOT of voters would have wanted to see UT defend their title. But like I said. . .at the least the Fiesta against the Smurfs.

TexanAlum_06
01-10-2007, 03:27 AM
Yeah I will agree with you on playing down to the level of lesser competition... but it is becoming to often. every good team has atleast one game a year where they play down to the level of competition and either get upset or escape with a win. and Texas had 5 games like that this year and 2 of them we lost 2 of them we won but started poorly ( Tech and Iowa). and im throwing in baylor because they torched our defense. but then again who didnt....? the point is they need to be more consistent. like the old saying "If you play with matches, your going to get burned"

LitanyofFury
01-10-2007, 03:35 AM
Yeah I will agree with you on playing down to the level of lesser competition... but it is becoming to often. every good team has atleast one game a year where they play down to the level of competition and either get upset or escape with a win. and Texas had 5 games like that this year and 2 of them we lost 2 of them we won but started poorly ( Tech and Iowa). and im throwing in baylor because they torched our defense. but then again who didnt....? the point is they need to be more consistent. like the old saying "If you play with matches, your going to get burned"

For whatever reason, the defense never played up to the level it should have. Yet even considering that and the fact that we started a redshirt freshman. . .the Horns still won 10 games. Yet their detractors would have you think they barely got over .500 for the year. Say what you will, but those last two games are a LOT different if Colt isn't hurt and so you'd be staring at POSSIBLY another 12 win season and BCS bowl win tho the Smurfs were scary looking on their trick plays.

So, with Mac Duff coming in and changing things up I think the defense will improve. The LB corp will be freakish. The D-Line should be good to go with Lokey back. The secondary will be the only real question mark and hopefully since it was so atrocius this past year Akina and Mac Duff will work on it a LOT.

On offense you've got everyone coming back except some O-Linemen. Selvin leaving IMHO is a good thing at RB. Jamaal needs the carries. So, for those people saying that Texas doesn't even deserve a Top 15 spot next year. . .please, pass me some of what you're smoking.

TexanAlum_06
01-10-2007, 03:44 AM
Yes I think the defense will be great... and we will have a team just as strong if not stronger. I have done some research on macduff and I think he is going to do good things. plus. him and akina have worked together and are good friends and they see eye to eye. that is a good thing. GOD i hope macduff unleashes all of our talent at LB this year, I think we may have one of the most talented LBing corps in the nation. not neccasarily in standouts, like a derrick johnson. but everybody is good. solid from top to bottom. I cant wait for the Spring game! Im callin it a night... good talk. lol. until tmrw...

necks_c/09
01-10-2007, 09:36 AM
Poll Results (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/rankingsindex)

A few of my observations:

3. Louisville, West Virginia, and Rutgers being in the Top 15 is a joke. They used cupcakes schedules to coast through the regular season and then got paired up with easy teams to beat. Wake Forest? Seriously, I didn't know they played football until this year. Kansas State? Other than the upset over the Horns they stink. Tho they will be getting a lot better with Prince at the helm and Freeman at QB. WVU over Georgia Tech? They had to pull their butts outta the fire and GT didn't even have its starting QB. The Big Least went 5-0 because the bowl presidents set them up with cupcake games to further try and legitimize that conference that should have been split up when Miami and VT jumped ship. Petrino is gone now (like everyone other than Kentucky hillbillies knew he would be) and I wouldn't be surprised to see Schiano and Rodriguez gone soon as well. Then the conference will sink back into obscurity.

These are my OPINIONS. Don't freak out.;) look ...this is just my opinion but u say WVU sucks b/c they barely beat G tech w/ out their starting Qb.....okay good point...but steve slaton didnt play most of the entire game who just happens to be their best player....

louisville beat wake forest handily....how can u not give them credit for that???

Rutgers did all of that this season w/ a subpar qb...if they were to get a good qb they would be an elite team....also they have a good recruiting class coming in as well as louisville....idk about wvu.....y would rich rodriguez leave later when if he wanted to leave he would have taken the alabama job....if he leaves it will be after slaton and white leave....(slaton may go to the nfl next year)