PDA

View Full Version : 3A Basketball Poll (girls)

Adidas410s
01-08-2007, 02:17 PM
Big surprise here...Canyon is on top! :rolleyes:

Class 3A

1. Canyon

2. Liberty Eylau

3. China Spring

4. Kennedale

5. Navasota

6. Diboll

7. Silsbee

8. Mt. Vernon

9. West Oso

10. Lorena

11. Kaufman

12. Argyle

13. Liberty Hill

14. Crockett

15. Llano

16. Orangefield

17. Snyder

18. Sanger

19. LaVernia

20. Princeton

awizzy
01-08-2007, 02:18 PM
what does a girl team have to do to get ranked..west columbia is 21-0 and still no love from the TABC

pirate4state
01-08-2007, 02:25 PM
Check out Liberty Eylau :thumbsup:

rundoe
01-08-2007, 02:37 PM
So where does your data come from?

Adidas410s
01-08-2007, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by awizzy
what does a girl team have to do to get ranked..west columbia is 21-0 and still no love from the TABC

They may not want TOO much recognition from the TABC...then they wouldn't have a team! ;)

Adidas410s
01-08-2007, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by rundoe

This isn't "my data." Just passing along the info...

http://tabchoops.org/finalG.html

pirate4state
01-08-2007, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by rundoe

Most likely from this site: link (http://www.austintgca.com/)

Or not...LOL....looks like the above link has a different poll.

mistanice
01-08-2007, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Big surprise here...Canyon is on top! :rolleyes:

Class 3A

1. Canyon

2. Liberty Eylau

3. China Spring

4. Kennedale

5. Navasota

6. Diboll

7. Silsbee

8. Mt. Vernon

9. West Oso

10. Lorena

11. Kaufman

12. Argyle

13. Liberty Hill

14. Crockett

15. Llano

16. Orangefield

17. Snyder

18. Sanger

19. LaVernia

20. Princeton

Diboll starts 4 soph. & 1 sr., hopefully they will be around for a while. they have wins over ranked Silsbee and Crockett.

JR2004
01-08-2007, 03:44 PM
Kennedale will wind up on top at the end of the season down in Austin. There's no one in Class 3A that's going to shut down Destini Hughes. That girl is an amazing talent.

Adidas410s
01-08-2007, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
Kennedale will wind up on top at the end of the season down in Austin. There's no one in Class 3A that's going to shut down Destini Hughes. That girl is an amazing talent.

Have you ever seen Canyon play? Last year not included, they don't belong in 3A. They've been one of the top girls' teams IN THE COUNTRY in the past few years and nobody in 3A came close to slowing them down. It will take more than 1 player to beat them.

g$$
01-08-2007, 03:57 PM

Agreed. Just keep winning & good things will happen. Polls mean nothing anyway.

Who is recruiting Jade Davis? I read somewhere that A&M was in the hunt. Any truth to that? Just think if Bonner had not gotten hurt. Lots of talent no doubt.

pirate4state
01-08-2007, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Agreed. Just keep winning & good things will happen. Polls mean nothing anyway.

Who is recruiting Jade Davis? I read somewhere that A&M was in the hunt. Any truth to that? Just think if Bonner had not gotten hurt. Lots of talent no doubt.

What happened to Bonner??? Great athlete!!

mistanice
01-08-2007, 04:01 PM
not that dunks are worth more than 2 points, but Diboll has a 6'4-6'5 soph. that can jam. look out for Nikki Green for the next couple of years. great defender and needs to polish her shooting skills.

JR2004
01-08-2007, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Have you ever seen Canyon play? Last year not included, they don't belong in 3A. They've been one of the top girls' teams IN THE COUNTRY in the past few years and nobody in 3A came close to slowing them down. It will take more than 1 player to beat them.

Yes I know about their program. I'm still taking Kennedale.

Bullaholic
01-08-2007, 04:54 PM
I thought Graham might be ranked on the basis of watching their softball team last season. Those girls on that softball team were all tall and could flat move. Maybe they all graduated or can't play roundball.

awizzy
01-08-2007, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
What happened to Bonner??? Great athlete!!
tore her ACL big blow to the basketball and softball team

mwynn05
01-08-2007, 05:38 PM
Kennedale will wind up on top at the end of the season down in Austin. There's no one in Class 3A that's going to shut down Destini Hughes. That girl is an amazing talent. Kennadale just lost to the defending and soon to be back to back champs in 1a Martin's Mill...they also played china spring earlier in the year and lost by 10

pirate4state
01-08-2007, 05:41 PM
tore her ACL big blow to the basketball and softball team Dang, I hate to hear that. Saw her play last year against my Lady Pirates. I 'bout fell out of the bleachers when she sent that bomb about 25 yards out of the park!!! :eek: :eek:

Hopefully she can recover from this set back. She is just a sophmore, right??

awizzy
01-08-2007, 05:45 PM
Dang, I hate to hear that. Saw her play last year against my Lady Pirates. I 'bout fell out of the bleachers when she sent that bomb about 25 yards out of the park!!! :eek: :eek:

Hopefully she can recover from this set back. She is just a sophmore, right??
shes a jr and i am sure he will recover...ya know i read about these 6'4 girls dunking on here and bonner is about 5'6 or so and i have seen her grab the rim myself

mwynn05
01-08-2007, 05:55 PM
shes a jr and i am sure he will recover...ya know i read about these 6'4 girls dunking on her and bonner is about 5'6 or so and i have seen her grab the rim myself Boner? lol

awizzy
01-08-2007, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by mwynn05
Boner? lol
its my pain pills get off me

pirate4state
01-08-2007, 06:02 PM
shes a jr and i am sure she will recover...ya know i read about these 6'4 girls dunking on her and bonner is about 5'6 or so and i have seen her grab the rim myself

Are you sure? I thought she was taller than that?? Oh well, I guess you would know.

awizzy
01-08-2007, 06:03 PM
Are you sure? I thought she was taller than that?? Oh well, I guess you would know.
yea im 5'8 and i am just a lil taller shes a great athlete

garageoffice
01-11-2007, 01:47 AM
Yes I know about their program. I'm still taking Kennedale.

I sure hope the Lady Kats are there when the state tourney rolls around, but it's not going to be easy. They lost their only true post player to an ACL injury which dropped them down to 6 girls. Then, last week, Samantha Mahnesmith, one of the leading scorers in the state went down with a hip or lower back injury. I don't know how long she'll be out. Meanwhile, Destini Hughes has elevated her game and averages 30 pts/game since Samantha has been out.

They've moved 2 or 3 girls up from the JV, but they just don't have the same level of skill. Don't get me wrong, they are still tough to beat. In fact, if you want to beat them you almost have to have a big girl that can really play (like Martins Mill had).

You're right about Destini Hughes, though. She's the real deal. The best part? They only have one senior (two, including Amanda Duke, the post with the ACL injury) on the team this year. They should still have a great team again next year!

On another note, the Freshman girls team is carrying on the tradition. They have a 9-3 record and average close to 50 pts/game while holding opponents to an average of less than 20 pts/game. Their only losses are to two large 4A teams in a tournament and a 2 pt loss to Krum.

cdlvj
01-11-2007, 08:56 AM

For one thing, their coaches need to get the stats and scores on a good web site.

pirate4state
01-11-2007, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by garageoffice
I sure hope the Lady Kats are there when the state tourney rolls around, but it's not going to be easy. They lost their only true post player to an ACL injury which dropped them down to 6 girls. Then, last week, Samantha Mahnesmith, one of the leading scorers in the state went down with a hip or lower back injury. I don't know how long she'll be out. Meanwhile, Destini Hughes has elevated her game and averages 30 pts/game since Samantha has been out.

They've moved 2 or 3 girls up from the JV, but they just don't have the same level of skill. Don't get me wrong, they are still tough to beat. In fact, if you want to beat them you almost have to have a big girl that can really play (like Martins Mill had).

You're right about Destini Hughes, though. She's the real deal. The best part? They only have one senior (two, including Amanda Duke, the post with the ACL injury) on the team this year. They should still have a great team again next year!

On another note, the Freshman girls team is carrying on the tradition. They have a 9-3 record and average close to 50 pts/game while holding opponents to an average of less than 20 pts/game. Their only losses are to two large 4A teams in a tournament and a 2 pt loss to Krum.

Glad to see you posting again!! :)

txkmom
01-11-2007, 10:40 AM
Rankings, schmankings. I know it's appreciated, but the Liberty Eylau girls know what matters is getting there at the end of the season. The Texarkana Gazette will have a special story up today after 10 a.m., but here's a link to the game story from Tuesday vs Atlanta:http://www.texarkanagazette.com/articles/2007/01/10/local_news/sports/sports01.txt

pirate4state
01-11-2007, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by txkmom
Rankings, schmankings. I know it's appreciated, but the Liberty Eylau girls know what matters is getting there at the end of the season. The Texarkana Gazette will have a special story up today after 10 a.m., but here's a link to the game story from Tuesday vs Atlanta:http://www.texarkanagazette.com/articles/2007/01/10/local_news/sports/sports01.txt

Cool!! :clap: :clap: You must be a busy momma!!! :D

pirate4state
01-11-2007, 12:30 PM
Northeast Texas Spotlight: Lady Leopards don’t mind winning ugly
Thursday, January 11, 2007 9:41 AM CST

http://www.texarkanagazette.com/content/articles/2007/01/11/local_news/sports/sports01.jpg
Staff photo by Evan Lewis Senior Farryn Cason works under pressure during Tuesday night’s 82-28 victory over Atlanta at Rader Dome. She had 15 points and 16 rebounds in the game. Cason averages a double-double (14 points, 14 rebounds) a game for Liberty-Eylau, which is the Texarkana Gazette’s No. 1 girls basketball team, and ranked second in Class 3A in Texas.

No. 2 Liberty-Eylau gets job done with pressure defense, lots of shots

By JOHNNY GREEN
Sports Director

To appreciate the accomplishments of Liberty-Eylau girls basketball, one usually has to stick around until the conclusion of Lady Leopards games, most of which end in victory.

“I know it looks raggedy when we play, and if you don’t watch us a lot, you probably walk away thinking we’re not very good,” said head coach Robert Cochran, who has spent nine years building the program into one of the best in the state. “But we do a lot of little things like play defense, create turnovers and get a lot of offensive rebounds.”

The Leopards usually don’t shoot well—making only about 36 percent of their shots—but Cochran’s style of aggressive play is really not conducive to half-court basketball.

“We’re probably more well known for taking 100 shots and making 25 of them,” Cochran said. “But at the end of the game we usually have 70 or 80 points and the other team has 30 or 40. And since I’ve been here we’ve never lost a game when we shot 40 percent or better from the field.”

Therefore, the Cochran philosophy is the more shots taken, the better chance more can be made.

“One thing we do well is play pressure defense and try to create as many shots as possible,” he said. “We take quick shots in transition, and the first one is usually just a centering pass. If we make it, great, but if not we have a chance to get the rebound, and offensive rebounding results in probably 75 percent of the scoring in girls basketball.”

That’s primarily been the case this season during L-E’s 20-2 start, which could be even better. The Leopards dropped an early tournament game to Longview by three points when Cochran was with the football team, then fell to Pine Bluff in the Century Bank Classic at Fouke over the Christmas holidays.

“I wasn’t at the Longview game, but I was told we led most of the game,” he said. “We played probably our best game of the season against Rains just before the holidays, but then we didn’t touch a basketball for nine days. We showed the effects of that layoff against Pine Bluff, and I’ll take the blame for that.”

Cochran is not surprised his team is ranked second in the state in Class 3A and first in the Texarkana Gazette area poll, but neither he nor his players put much stock in the early attention.

Cochran is not surprised his team is ranked second in the state in Class 3A and first in the Texarkana Gazette area poll, but neither he nor his players put much stock in the early attention.

“We don’t talk about it and we really don’t care,” he said. “Obviously it’s not like the BCS (football rankings) where it matters if you’re ranked first or second. It’s nice to be recognized as one of the top teams in the state, but it really doesn’t mean anything until the playoffs are over and we’re the last team standing.”

Both Cochran and L-E fans were obviously expecting big things this season from a team with all five starters back from last year’s regional finalist.

“We knew we were going to be good,” he said. “Most of these girls have been to the regional finals the last two years, and last year we lost by three points (to Brownsboro) after shooting 23 percent from the field and 40 percent from the line. We could have easily won.”

University of Arkansas-Little Rock signee Mattilyn McIntyre heads the list of returnees, and also leads the team in scoring with 17 points a game. Senior Farryn Cason and sophomore Lacey Middlebrooks average 14 points, junior Teressa Houff 12 and senior Marika Riles 10.4.

Senior Satera Cooper averages just five points a game, but is the architect of L-E’s full-court press.

“Satera is the best defensive player I’ve ever coached,” Cochran said. “She’s the one that creates everything in our press.”

Liberty-Eylau’s rebounding averages are as much or more impressive as its scoring. Cason leads the way with 14, followed by Middlebrooks with 12, Riles 10 and McIntyre eight. It averages overall to over 53 a game.

And, as always, depth plays an important role in L-E’s success. Seniors Sheeba Gulley and Brittany Walter, juniors Courtney Cooper and Taylor Harris, and freshman Bianca Stephenson see plenty of playing time in Cochran’s free-substitution strategy.

“We sub three players at the six-minute mark in the first quarter, and three more at the five-minute mark,” he said. “By the middle of the second quarter when our opposition is making its first or second substitution, we’ve already made 25 or 26. We literally wear the other team down.”

And, the Leopards feel no game is lost until the final buzzer sounds.

“We don’t have better talent than a lot of teams we play, but we’re mentally tougher and in better shape than most,” Cochran said. “And our girls think we’re going to win every time out. It doesn’t matter who we play or what the score is at any time in a game, they think we’re going to pull it out. I really believe that’s more than half the battle.”

Despite a strong region that includes Kennedale, Kaufman and Crandall, Cochran thinks the Leopards have a good chance to reach the Final Four in Austin for the second time.

“It’s a strong region, but anything can happen,” he said. “Our chances are as good as anybody’s. We just have to play well on the right night.”

And, in L-E’s case, playing well doesn’t necessarily mean looking that way. But it doesn’t matter as long as the bigger number is on the Leopards’ side of the scoreboard at game’s end.

story link (http://www.texarkanagazette.com/articles/2007/01/11/local_news/sports/sports01.txt)

tigerpride_08
01-11-2007, 08:32 PM
nothing like talking girls basketball....:D