PDA

View Full Version : Question for all WOS & Jasper fans...

Bulldog92
02-16-2004, 02:53 PM
Who, in your mind, is the biggest rival to your school? If you're from Jasper, is it WOS or Silsbee? If you're from WOS, is it Jasper or someone else? When I was growing up in the 80's and early 90's, we had several good ones (PNG, Huntsville, and Silsbee come to mind). but they never came close to the electricity in the air during WOS week. I'd love to be down there for week 0. That's gonna be fun and hopefully I'll here it on KOGT or something. :)

NewStang
02-16-2004, 02:57 PM
I'll be honest with you. These days, the biggest "rivalry" I personally feel is against Bay City. We've played them for the past four years, and every year it has a playoff intensity b/c they're in the Top 5 or 6 and we're close. Every game ends up tight, except in 2002, when we won 53-35, and that was a game full of excitement. Other than that, I'd consider Jasper the closest thing we have to a rival. We hold the edge in the series, but the games are always very intense. I've missed playing them over the past two years. Nederland has been a rivalry-type game for the past few years too...

spiveyrat
02-16-2004, 02:58 PM
WOS for me too. I think we have the edge over Silsbee with wins. However, I KNOW we're on the losing side of the WOS rivalry. I want to play them more because I want that win/loss ratio levelled out a little! :cool:

OH, and the fact that they knocked us out of the playoffs in the Regional round during my senior year! :mad:

<small>[ February 16, 2004, 02:00 PM: Message edited by: spiveyrat ]</small>

Bulldog92
02-16-2004, 03:04 PM
spiveyrat:
WOS for me too. I think we have the edge over Silsbee with wins. However, I KNOW we're on the losing side of the WOS rivalry. I want to play them more because I want that win/loss ratio levelled out a little! :cool:

OH, and the fact that they knocked us out of the playoffs in the Regional round during my senior year! :mad: I know we're way behind them, too, but where exactly does the series stand? As for getting to play them more goes, I'm sure that will change and they'll be on the slate every year at least once. I wonder how much longer Coach Hooks plans on coaching. As long as he's there, they'll always be good.

NewStang
02-16-2004, 03:05 PM
The series is 14-4 right now. I think Hooks said he'd give 3A "a couple of years." Then we're hoping to have Cornel Thompson back and in charge.

Bulldog92
02-16-2004, 03:11 PM
NewStang:
The series is 14-4 right now. I think Hooks said he'd give 3A "a couple of years." Then we're hoping to have Cornel Thompson back and in charge.I didn't think it was that lopsided. Yikes. I would have guessed maybe 12-6. When I was a kid, I coudn't stand Coach Hooks, but I've gotten older and wiser and actually have a lot of respect for the guy. The tradition you guys have is as good as anybody's. What was he like to play for?

NewStang
02-16-2004, 03:14 PM
I wish I knew! I've always been in the stands :)
The funny thing about Coach Hooks is that people think he's this tyrant. He's nothing like that off the field. You'd be surprised how nice and friendly a guy like that is in his personal life. He told me that one time he was shopping in Bridge City and an elderly lady in front of him dropped her bread. He bent over, picked it up and handed it to her. She looked at him with a confused look and said, "But, you're Dan Hooks." I guess she thought he would grab it with his teeth and run away...

Bulldog92
02-16-2004, 03:36 PM
NewStang:
I wish I knew! I've always been in the stands :)
The funny thing about Coach Hooks is that people think he's this tyrant. He's nothing like that off the field. You'd be surprised how nice and friendly a guy like that is in his personal life. He told me that one time he was shopping in Bridge City and an elderly lady in front of him dropped her bread. He bent over, picked it up and handed it to her. She looked at him with a confused look and said, "But, you're Dan Hooks." I guess she thought he would grab it with his teeth and run away...That's interesting. I saw him jump all over one of Jasper's ballboys during a game because he spotted a new ball in the same spot that the ref had the old one. He ran over to the WOS sideline and Coach Hooks let him have it because he thought the kid cheated him on the spot.

<small>[ February 16, 2004, 02:38 PM: Message edited by: Bulldog92 ]</small>

NewStang
02-16-2004, 03:38 PM
All I can say is what I know about the guy. I've seen PLENTY of coaches yell and scream at random people during a game. In fact, I remember a Jasper coach punching one of our players during a game - unless I'm on crack and it was a different maroon-and-white team... which could be. Regardless, we're all human, and it's an intense game every time we play.
He's got the reputation of being a maniac. He's not.

<small>[ February 16, 2004, 02:47 PM: Message edited by: NewStang ]</small>

JasperDog94
02-16-2004, 04:16 PM
NewStang:
All I can say is what I know about the guy. I've seen PLENTY of coaches yell and scream at random people during a game. In fact, I remember a Jasper coach punching one of our players during a game - unless I'm on crack and it was a different maroon-and-white team... which could be. Regardless, we're all human, and it's an intense game every time we play.
He's got the reputation of being a maniac. He's not.While I respect Dan for the record he's established, I have no respect for him as person after working on the chain gang in Jasper the last time we played each other. I heard him say things that would get most coaches fired. I know that year was a down year for WOS but nothing excuses the things I heard coming out of his mouth.

Gasilla
02-16-2004, 06:08 PM
I played for Dan. He is like a father to many men in Orange TX. He is a very emotional man and a motivator like none you've ever seen. He is very positive with his players and that is why he gets the most out of them. His players believe in him. Yes, he is probably the most misunderstood coach in Texas. He does get after the refs, and I believe what you say about giving you heck in Jasper. I've seen him raise hell, literally. But thats just Dan, his emotions can get away from him at times, but never toward his players. His players know he will not back down and will fight for what he thinks is right and his players find confidence in that. Does he get too carried away sometimes? Yes... no doubt about it. But with Dan, you take the good with the bad. That very night that he jumped on you during the game, had he seen you later and you needed help he would be the first to offer you the shirt off of his back, no questions asked and no duty owed. All you people ever see is the bad because he is a fierce competitor. There is way more to him than what you see on the field. He doesn't apologize for what he does because he doesn't have to. The people who really know him, love him. That's all that really matters.

<small>[ February 16, 2004, 05:11 PM: Message edited by: Gasilla ]</small>

Gobbla2001
02-16-2004, 06:33 PM
IF the UIL were to fire every head coach in the state of Texas who has acted like Dan Hooks at one time there would almost be none left... Dan Hooks get the attention because, well, his teams are damn good and in the spotlight most of the time...

I've seen coaches get worse than what's been described... IT happens all over the state, not just in Orange... Get over it...

JasperDog94
02-16-2004, 07:14 PM
Gasilla:
He is very positive with his players and that is why he gets the most out of them. His players believe in him. Yes, he is probably the most misunderstood coach in Texas. He does get after the refs, and I believe what you say about giving you heck in Jasper.Actually, it wasn't me he was directing his comments to. It was one of his players. It really shocked me because I've heard a lot of coaches do a lot of thing, but he was waaaaaaaay out of line. I draw the line at racial slurs. And before you even ask me the answer is yes. I heard it with my own ears more than once. That's what was so shocking to me. I've heard coaches cuss and scream at players, but this was way beyond anything that I've ever heard.

NewStang
02-16-2004, 07:19 PM
:mad:
That's funny. I know that coach Hooks is always one of the few white people in Orange who march in the MLK Day parade every single year. I'd be careful about levying accusations like this on a public board. THAT is crossing the line, in my opinion. I doubt you'll find any former WO-S players who would accuse coach Hooks of racism.....

<small>[ February 16, 2004, 06:24 PM: Message edited by: NewStang ]</small>

Gasilla
02-16-2004, 10:15 PM
Dan will get on your butt when you need it and you will not always like what he has to say. Again, to someone outside the Mustang family, I don't doubt what you heard was quite harsh. But, I assure you, he wouldn't say it if it weren't warranted. I know you did not say that Dan was a racist but I will assure you that the black community in Orange TX would not stand for racist slurs. The person those were directed at did something terribly wrong and knew it. Dan has coached many, many young black men and never has he been accused of being racist or been in trouble for making racist comments.

<small>[ February 16, 2004, 09:17 PM: Message edited by: Gasilla ]</small>

JasperDog94
02-16-2004, 10:45 PM
I stand by my original statement. I know what I heard and I know I was not the only one. Maybe this was an isolated incident, maybe not. But I know exactly what I heard. I will not post it on this forum. That wouldn't be right. But I just can't sit here and read about what a "positive role model" he is and not get sick to my stomach.

<small>[ February 16, 2004, 09:46 PM: Message edited by: JasperDog94 ]</small>

WOS92
02-16-2004, 11:00 PM
I will not post it on this forum. That wouldn't be right. You might as well post it. Don't act classy when it's obvious exactly what you're getting at. Get as sick to your stomach as you want. Obviously, having held the chains once during a game, you know him better than the people who have played for him. :rolleyes:
I know Coach Hooks and he CERTAINLY is not a racist. He's done more for young black kids in Orange than anyone I know.

<small>[ February 16, 2004, 10:05 PM: Message edited by: WOS92 ]</small>

JasperDog94
02-16-2004, 11:12 PM
A true test of someone's character is the way they act when under pressure. (like a football game) I'm not making any judgements for anyone else. All I am saying is that he's not the good ol' boy that some of you make him out to be. IMHO he acted very poorly in this circumstance. And I did say, "Maybe this is an isolated incident."

On the other hand I can't sit here and not say anything while everyone praises Coach Hooks for being a great role model. I've been around lots of coaches and observed some good character and some bad. But nobody I've seen ever crossed the line that Hooks crossed. But hey, if you win a couple of state championships I guess that entitles you to a little more leeway. I call it the "Bobby Knight" syndrome. When you're successfull, people tend to look the other way.

And once again I will not post what was said on this forum. The language is inappropriate on many levels.