01-08-2007, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by stxfootballfan
Mel Kiper Jr.'s latest Top 5 on his Big Board for the 2007 NFL Draft:
1. Calvin Johnson, WR, Georgia Tech
2. Brady Quinn, QB, Notre Dame
3. Joe Thomas, T, Wisconsin
4. JaMarcus Russell, QB, LSU
5. Jamaal Anderson, DE, Arkansas

I guess Adrian Peterson has not declared yet.

Adidas410s
01-08-2007, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by texasjeremy
I guess Adrian Peterson has not declared yet.

not yet...they still have a few more days. I forget what the deadline is.

AggieJohn
01-08-2007, 02:51 PM
I guess Adrian Peterson has not declared yet. in my opinion, he's got a lot to prove.....

Macarthur
01-08-2007, 02:54 PM
I'm not sure he suplants the top 3. He might come in ahead of Russell, but those top 3 are pretty solid.

texasjeremy
01-08-2007, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur
I'm not sure he suplants the top 3. He might come in ahead of Russell, but those top 3 are pretty solid.

Brady Quinn is NOT a can't miss prospect, even though he may be the top QB in this class.

g$$
01-08-2007, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
in my opinion, he's got a lot to prove.....

Staying healthy & durability yes, but ability is unquestioned. Be surprised if he slips out of the Top 5 once he declares.

texasjeremy
01-08-2007, 03:12 PM
Peterson would be the top player in this draft (assuming he declares), but who knows if he will actually go #1 (think Houston last year), anything can happen.

ILS1
01-08-2007, 03:59 PM

The Raiders have the 1st pick in the draft. Just like Al Davis they will go after ANOTHER stand out WR or RB. What they really need is a QB and a coach who WON'T put up with all the Raiders and Davis' BS!!!

AggieJohn
01-08-2007, 04:10 PM
until al davis dies, the raiders will suck

buff4life
01-08-2007, 05:16 PM

last time Kiper named a DE one of the top five...the Texans went crazy and drafted him...I don't think the Raiders will be that stupid

WildTexan
01-08-2007, 07:24 PM

You will never, ever convince me that some OL should be taken in the top 10-15 picks....no matter how good a tackle or guard is, they won't make big impacts on an offense noticable enough to pay that level of money to them....if you draft quality OL in the 2nd or 3rd or 4th rounds you can get similar impacts for tons less money, and you draft impact players in the top 10, or even the 1st round....

JR2004
01-08-2007, 07:33 PM
Even though I've liked the Fighting Irish over the years, their recent history with QB's in the NFL has been unimpressive to say the least. Names like Rick Mirer and Ron Powlus (who never made it, but was supposed to be the 2nd coming of Jesus upon arriving in South Bend) come to mind. I'd be very careful if I was an NFL team wanting to draft a QB who played for the Fighting Irish.

District303aPastPlayer
01-08-2007, 10:28 PM
Brady Quinn is NOT a can't miss prospect, even though he may be the top QB in this class.

as a ND apologist... he isnt even the top QB coming out...

Fal44
01-08-2007, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
[B.. he isnt even the top QB coming out... [/B]

good post I couldnt agree more... :clap:

big daddy russ
01-08-2007, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
as a ND apologist... he isnt even the top QB coming out...
He seems like a David Carr or Heath Shuler kind of player. A lesser talent pushed to the top because he's a top QB.

I've never seen him live and I don't study tapes or anything, so I couldn't tell you how he reads a defense, but just watching the LSU/ND game the other night you could tell there was a noticeable difference in arm strength between him and Russell. While the accuracy may be a little better than Russell's, the athleticism and big arm aren't.

NDFootball
01-09-2007, 01:24 AM
It's not because of amazing ability that makes Quinn the top QB prospect, it's because of Coach Weis and him coming from the new Pro Style system he runs at ND makes him more mature than most other QB's for the pro level right at the start. Think Matt Leinart here not necessarily such superior ability but able to step in and adjust to the NFL rather easily while most other rookie QB's take a few years of grooming.

LitanyofFury
01-09-2007, 03:58 AM
Brady Quinn = Next Joey Harrington

And he'll prolly get drafted by Matt "I'm An idiot and I'm Never Quitting" Millen and the hapless Detriot Tigers.

g$$
01-09-2007, 04:07 AM
Originally posted by LitanyofFury
Brady Quinn = Next Joey Harrington

And he'll prolly get drafted by Matt "I'm An idiot and I'm Never Quitting" Millen and the hapless Detriot Tigers.

Matt Millen running the baseball team now instead of Dave Dombrowski? Didn't know Quinn was a MLB prospect!

Millen has struggled in the GM role for the Lions, but he was a fine LB at Penn State & for years in the pros. He should have been fired long before now though.

LitanyofFury
01-09-2007, 04:17 AM
Originally posted by g$$
Matt Millen running the baseball team now instead of Dave Dombrowski? Didn't know Quinn was a MLB prospect!

Millen has struggled in the GM role for the Lions, but he was a fine LB at Penn State & for years in the pros. He should have been fired long before now though.

D'oh. Really late. See. . .what I was trying to do was to put a better spin on it considering the Tigers actually quit sucking for at least a year. ;)

And struggled is a BIT of an understatement IMHO. He's been about as bad as you can be. How many receivers has he drafted 1st now? 10? Meanwhile he decides Joey Harrington is the future of that franchise....now it's back to career back-up Kitna. He'll further compound his mistakes in this next draft by picking Quinn.

g$$
01-09-2007, 04:47 AM
Originally posted by LitanyofFury
D'oh. Really late. See. . .what I was trying to do was to put a better spin on it considering the Tigers actually quit sucking for at least a year. ;)

And struggled is a BIT of an understatement IMHO. He's been about as bad as you can be. How many receivers has he drafted 1st now? 10? Meanwhile he decides Joey Harrington is the future of that franchise....now it's back to career back-up Kitna. He'll further compound his mistakes in this next draft by picking Quinn.

I have been amazed just how inept he has been & more amazed he has kept his job. He must have some really revealing pics of the owner (Ford) or something as leverage!

Macarthur
01-09-2007, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by WildTexan
You will never, ever convince me that some OL should be taken in the top 10-15 picks....no matter how good a tackle or guard is, they won't make big impacts on an offense noticable enough to pay that level of money to them....if you draft quality OL in the 2nd or 3rd or 4th rounds you can get similar impacts for tons less money, and you draft impact players in the top 10, or even the 1st round....

So you're telling me a pro-bowl left tackle for 10 years is not worth a top 15 pick?! Are you nuts?

You're flat out wrong that one lineman can not make an impact. How about how Thomas took Ware out of the game Saturday when he lined up on his side?

I agree that Quinn is not a can't miss. I think there's some serious questions about him and about Russell's decision making. Russell is becoming the hot commodity. He scares me because it appears everyone is falling in love with his "measureables" and not paying much attention to his decision making. His decision making has been questionable at times.

bulldogman06
01-09-2007, 11:15 AM
Quinn is big, strong, and was coached by Charlie Weiss. Remember Tom Brady??? Quinn is more NFL ready than any college qb I have seen in a while. plus, his line was bad, as I was watchin the game last night I was laughin about how much pressure Florida put on Troy Smith. That was every game for Quinn. He still did alright.

stxfootballfan
01-09-2007, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by bulldogman06
Quinn is big, strong, and was coached by Charlie Weiss. Remember Tom Brady??? Quinn is more NFL ready than any college qb I have seen in a while. plus, his line was bad, as I was watchin the game last night I was laughin about how much pressure Florida put on Troy Smith. That was every game for Quinn. He still did alright.

You mean any college QB since Matt Lienhart came out last yr?