PDA

View Full Version : Van Halen, R.E.M., Among Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductees

Maroon87
01-08-2007, 01:48 PM
Monday, January 08, 2007

CLEVELAND — Van Halen made a "jump" into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame on Monday along with Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five, R.E.M., the Ronettes and Patti Smith.

A panel of 600 industry experts selected the five artists to be inducted at the annual ceremony, to be held March 12 in New York.

Van Halen was the 1980s hard rock quartet led by guitarist Eddie Van Halen, outrageous lead vocalist David Lee Roth, and later rocker Sammy Hagar, that put out hits such as "Jump" and "Dreams."

R.E.M. was the quintessential indie rock band until breaking through to mass success in the early 1990s with songs like "Losing My Religion."

Grandmaster Flash led the most innovative act in early hip-hop, and the song "The Message" was like a letter from urban America.

Punk rock poet Patti Smith and Phil Spector favorites the Ronettes round out the 2007 class.

To be eligible, artists must have issued a first single or album at least 25 years before nomination.

pirate4state
01-08-2007, 02:35 PM
:cool:

g$$
01-08-2007, 03:07 PM
Good stuff. Van Halen was the real deal in their day. Hagar took them to a new level too.

Maroon87
01-08-2007, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Hagar took them to a new level too.

That could be viewed as sacreligious by some VH fans. Personally I liked both the Sammy and Dave lineups, but there are some who hated "Van Hagar." They just had a unique sound overall. It was rare that you'd find me without a VH tape in the deck when I was in HS. Good times, man.:cool:

pirate4state
01-08-2007, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
That could be viewed as sacreligious by some VH fans. Personally I liked both the Sammy and Dave lineups, but there are some who hated "Van Hagar." They just had a unique sound overall. It was rare that you'd find me without a VH tape in the deck when I was in HS. Good times, man.:cool:

True. I liked them both too. Favorite album (OU812) hands down is with Sammy though, so what does that say??? LMAO.

g$$
01-08-2007, 03:28 PM

You are right, I could be shot on the spot by some! I personally liked Hagar's sound that he brought to the group better than Roth's, but I sure liked both of them a lot. Lots of good times jamming out to Eddie & the gang. Wish they had all gotten along better before breaking up.

Maroon87
01-08-2007, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
True. I liked them both too. Favorite album (OU812) hands down is with Sammy though, so what does that say??? LMAO.

My faves are the first one or Fair Warning. They're neck and neck to me.

pirate4state
01-08-2007, 03:42 PM
My faves are the first one or Fair Warning. They're neck and neck to me.

Not much of a fan of Fair Warning, but I do love Van Halen - I was 6 years old when they released that album!!! ROFLMAO! :cool: I was a hip kid, man. ;)

JHS_c/o_06'
01-08-2007, 03:50 PM
"Jump" and "Dreams" are the best two songs they could come up with when they mention VH. That is so sad.

ILS1
01-08-2007, 03:55 PM
With David Lee Roth on vocals they had a raw,edgier sound!!! All songs were about partying,sex and women!!!! With Sammy on vocals they had a more pop/rock ballad sound. Songs about love and relationships with women. I liked Sammy but I'd vote for the DLR days myself!!!

Maroon87
01-08-2007, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by JHS_c/o_06'
"Jump" and "Dreams" are the best two songs they could come up with when they mention VH. That is so sad.

No kidding! They had tons of great tunes.:rolleyes:

I love "Unchained." I used to listen to that a lot before football games. If the first 45 seconds of that song doesn't speed up your heart rate, you may have issues.:D

g$$
01-08-2007, 04:06 PM
Good points on the differences in sound. To each his own I guess.

What about "Panama"? That was my 1st MTV moment back in the early '80s. Great tune & subliminal lyrics. VH had a bunch of good ones.

AggieJohn
01-08-2007, 04:09 PM
Rock on, my dear man, Rock on