PDA

View Full Version : Sweeny's Coach Reid goes into Hall of Honor...

g$$
01-08-2007, 02:15 AM
**Congrats to Coach Doug Reid, a fine track/football coach & even a better person. Well-deserved for a distinguished career.

2 long-time area track coaches honored

By Joel Luna
The Facts

Published January 7, 2007

With a combined 57 years of coaching track and field athletes, Doug Boone and Doug Reid received the highest honor on Saturday.

Both Boone and Reid were inducted into the Gulf Coast Scholastic Track Coaches Association Hall of Honor at the Carl Lewis Alumni Center on the campus of the University of Houston.

On the same stage were Gene Bosse from Baytown Lee and Leon Carr from La Marque. Boone, Reid, Bosse and Carr are the seventh class to be inducted since the organization started in 2001.

“This is quite an honor and I have been very fortunate to win lots of awards in my life,” Boone said. “But this one I have to dedicate to my best coach and first assistant, my wife of 40 years, Joan. This one is for her.”

From meet titles to district championships and region qualifiers to the state meet, both Boone and Reid headed the Exporter and Bulldog teams for more than 20 years each.

Boone coached for 21 years at Brazosport and Reid added 22 to his résumé for the Sweeny Bulldogs.

Boone started in 1969 at the Brazosport school and retired in 1990. During his tenure, the Exporter teams won 30 meet titles, five district championships in 1975, 1976, 1986, 1987 and 1988; was district runner-up in 1977, 1978 and placed third in 1979; won the Region III track and field championship in 1988; Region III track and field co-champs in 1978; a fourth-place team finish at the University Interscholastic League state meet in 1976; seventh-place finish at the state meet in 1977; two state champions and took athletes to the state meet for 13 years out of his coaching career at Brazosport.

“I was very blessed to have athletes who were great and an administration that backed us up, those combinations helped out a lot for us,” Boone said. “I have a lot of great memories and wonderful coaches whom I worked with as well.”

Just as Boone was instrumental in the success of Brazosport, Reid was doing an equally admirable job at Sweeny in both track and field, and cross country.

From 1980 through 2002, Reid won 19 district championships, was runner-up twice and had one third-place finish when they competed in Class 4A for two seasons. In Class 3A, Reid’s teams won five straight district championships, 18 district cross country titles, five region track and field championships and four region cross country championships.

In 1992, Reid led Sweeny to the 1992 state track and field meet title. Twice his team was state runner-up, and was defeated by a single point on both occasions. While at the helm, Reid qualified athletes to the state meet 20 out of his 22 seasons.

“For 22 years moms at Sweeny sent me their athletes, and I just let them perform,” Reid said. “It is truly a great honor to be honored by your coaching peers because they were in the trenches with you. To bestow this honor on me is quite an honor, and I feel honored to go in with the coaches I am going in with.”

Reid started his coaching career at Dickinson, where he coached for 14 seasons from 1965 through 1979. Out of his entire 36-year career, he coached 20 individual state champions out of 81 track-qualifying events.

He founded the Gator Relays in 1966 where he won eight of the first 10 meets. At Sweeny, the Sweeny Bulldog Relays were renamed The Doug Reid Bulldog Relays in his honor.

“I didn’t do this all by myself because I used many of these coaches in the area to get advice from, or stole their ideas,” a grinning Reid said. “I am indebted to have been associated with many of these fellow coaches. I have the highest regard to having competed with them and against them. These fellow coaches have been great.”

Both Boone and Reid were nominated by long-time Dickinson track and field coach David Kautz. Before both entered the world of coaching, both Boone and Reid were superb athletes.

A graduate from Hitchcock High School, Boone lettered in track, basketball and football. But it was track where he prospered in the 880-meter dash. In 1963 and 1964, he was district champ, taking the region in 1964 and placing third in state.

Boone headed off to Lamar University on a track scholarship and lettered four years. He was the Southland conference champion in the 3-mile run in 1967 and 1968. In the 3,000-meter steeplechase, he was the Southland Conference champion 1966-68 and qualified for the Olympic trials in 1968. He was inducted into the Lamar University Cardinal Hall of Honor for track in 1975.

Besides achieving a quality career at Lamar, Boone also was part of tragedy at the school. On April 29, 1968, a small plane bringing back the Lamar track team from the Drake Relays crashed as it approached Beaumont Municipal Airport. Five track team members along with coach Ty Terrell were killed.

“I had cracked a toe in the offseason and instead of going to the Drake Relays, coach told me to stay home and rest,” Boone said. “My life was saved by staying home. When something like that happens, you ask yourself, ‘Why were you saved?’ I went to seven funerals in a week and a half. They were real good friends of mine. My divine God wanted me to work with kids, or to hopefully help change a life of a kid. That particular time made me reflect on what I wanted out of life. It was a life-changing experience for me.”

Team members killed were Randy Clewis, Don Delaune, Mike Favazza, John Richardson and Waverly Thomas.

Reid graduated from Cleveland High School in 1958 and was coached by the legendary coach, Joe Richardson. Richardson went on to coach at Stephen F. Austin where he started one of the premier track teams in the nation.

As for Reid, he headed off to Howard Payne University where he was the Lone Star Conference mile champ in 1961 and 1962.

“One of the greatest compliments I’ve had is to see my two sons follow in coaching track and field,” Reid said. “Will coaches the girls track team at Kerrville Tivy, and James is at Angelo State, also with the women’s team.”

While coaching at both Sweeny and Dickinson, Reid’s teams never finished lower than third at a district meet. He has been married to Katherine for 43 years.

“She is an elementary teacher and my first assistant,” Reid said. “She is the best vaulting pole pick-up person ever.”

In 1995, Boone was selected as the principal of Brazosport High School until his retirement in May 2004. After a month off, he went back to work and now is employed at Carriage Inn in Lake Jackson.

“The one thing he loved the most was the kids, he really cared about them,” Joan Boone said. “We had so many kids, I felt like the old woman in the shoe. It’s been interesting being with him because we are always busy. But he is a funny man, and comes up with crazy things. I loved being a coach’s wife.”

18handicap
01-08-2007, 07:20 AM
I had the honor and pleasure to work for one (Doug Boone) and with one (Doug Reid) in my career and the honor bestowed upon both of them is very well deserved. Both men were awesome track coaches, and more importantly, great people who did a lot for their sport, profession, and those who ran track for them. I am a better person, teacher, and coach because I know both of them! Congrats to Doug and Doug!

gato 76
01-08-2007, 07:45 AM
Just wondering if any of those guys ever competed against Marshal Brown track teams from Bay City.I know the Sweeny guy been there a good while they always had very good track teams,if im not mistaken they have a coach in Sweeny randy lynch he played QB for the city cats back in the early 80's im sure he remembers coach brown.Anyway congrats to these coaches.