PDA

View Full Version : Dallas will NOT win an NBA Title...

JR2004
01-08-2007, 12:20 AM
Another 4th quarter meltdown in Los Angeles tonight! My guys in the Purple and Gold came in undermanned without Lamar still, as well as our best defensive presence down low in Kwame Brown and we still had enough to knock off the little Mavericks. This wasn't quite as funny as when Dallas lost a 90-64 lead during the 02-03 season at Staples, but I enjoyed it. :)

If only my guys had Lamar and Kwame (Didn't think I'd say that when we traded for him) we'd have the best record in the league at this point. I think my guys are still 2 years away from being the best team in the NBA again, but it's good to see them compete this well short-handed.

DU_stud04
01-08-2007, 12:21 AM
good to know im not the only one who lives in the metroplex that hates dallas mavericks.

mwynn05
01-08-2007, 12:48 AM
L.A. got a few calls at the end that hurt the mavs and your saying another mavs meltdown hell they have only lost like 8 games all year and 4 of those were the first 4 of the season

Adidas410s
01-08-2007, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by mwynn05
L.A. got a few calls at the end that hurt the mavs and your saying another mavs meltdown hell they have only lost like 8 games all year and 4 of those were the first 4 of the season

if it takes the Mavs shooting 42%, their opponent shooting 55% (46% from 3pt) and the Mavs at an unusually low 71% FT to lose a game by 3 points...then I don't see it happening too often.

Just to make sure I'm clear on this...I believe 27-8 is still the best record in the league and the Mavs are the only team with 2 double digit winning streaks this season. I could be wrong though...;)

JR2004
01-08-2007, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
good to know im not the only one who lives in the metroplex that hates dallas mavericks.

Used to have no problem at all with Dallas, but now that they are playing the style of ball that Greg Stealajobovich taught Avery I wouldn't pay a dime to watch them in person. I also hope every season for them ends in failure as long as they keep playing how they play now. Heck I already turned down getting to go to the games for free in a suite because of my distaste for that brand of basketball! They just don't interest me at all anymore with this slowdown grind it out style of play.

Besides the Purple and Gold I'll root for anyone that wants to play some uptempo basketball!

slpybear the bullfan
01-08-2007, 01:20 AM
ROTFLMAO...

WTH is "Basketball"?

mwynn05
01-08-2007, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by JR2004
Used to have no problem at all with Dallas, but now that they are playing the style of ball that Greg Stealajobovich taught Avery I wouldn't pay a dime to watch them in person. I also hope every season for them ends in failure as long as they keep playing how they play now. Heck I already turned down getting to go to the games for free in a suite because of my distaste for that brand of basketball! They just don't interest me at all anymore with this slowdown grind it out style of play.

Besides the Purple and Gold I'll root for anyone that wants to play some uptempo basketball! Man you would hate the Whataburger tournament then i guess you hate a lot of 1a 2a and 3a basketball too...and you hate a lot of the mid majors in college basketball too

3afan
01-08-2007, 07:53 AM
blah ... Mavs lost one, it happens. Lakers are tough, when they get LO back they'll make noise in the west. i think dallas will take going 2-1 on this road trip (@SA, @LA, @Ut) - gotta beat the tough Jazz tonight in the back-to-back, will not be easy.

BTW, Mavs averaging 99 points a game ... thats not quite "grind it out". they run when they can, otherwise get the good shot. thats smart basketball.

and speaking generally, anyone who would turn down getting to go to the games for free in a suite because of a distaste for a specific brand of basketball --- well thats just plain dumb. if its even true... IMO

Txbroadcaster
01-08-2007, 09:28 AM

Besides the Purple and Gold I'll root for anyone that wants to play some uptempo basketball!

So instead of the Mavericks team ball you enjoy the Lakers isolate Kobe and the other 4 watch him work? The Mavs have 5 guys in double digits per game while the Lakers have 4

And the Mavs have learned to play the style of ball that attacks the opponent. If they need to slow it down they will..If they need to run and gun they can still do that as well.

Maroon87
01-08-2007, 09:50 AM
You could also call him Gregg Wonthreetitlesovich.:p

luvhoops34
01-08-2007, 10:06 AM
Dallas lost to the Fakers??? LMAOROFL

neo800
01-08-2007, 10:07 AM
go back to LA !!

edited for content ~ p4s

Adidas410s
01-08-2007, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by luvhoops34
Dallas lost to the Fakers??? LMAOROFL
let me know when San Antonio stops losing! ;)

Maroon87
01-08-2007, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
let me know when San Antonio stops losing! ;)

They beat that noted powerhouse Memphis yesterday.:cool:

DU_stud04
01-08-2007, 11:26 AM
let me know when San Antonio stops losing! ;) then let me know when dallas wins the big game :evil:

Adidas410s
01-08-2007, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
then let me know when dallas wins the big game :evil:

let me know when UT-A has a football program! :evillol:

ASUFrisbeeStud
01-08-2007, 12:02 PM
let me know when UT-A has a football program! :evillol:

Thats harsh. haha.

DU_stud04
01-08-2007, 12:32 PM
let me know when UT-A has a football program! :evillol: hahahaha

JR2004
01-08-2007, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by 3afan

and speaking generally, anyone who would turn down getting to go to the games for free in a suite because of a distaste for a specific brand of basketball --- well thats just plain dumb. if its even true... IMO

It is. They bore me to no end so I had no interest in taking up that offer.

Txbroadcaster
01-08-2007, 03:58 PM
It is. They bore me to no end so I had no interest in taking up that offer.

again I ask if the Mavs bore you with team ball..how can you enjoy the LAkers and their isolate Kobe and let him go one on one

JR2004
01-08-2007, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
So instead of the Mavericks team ball you enjoy the Lakers isolate Kobe and the other 4 watch him work? The Mavs have 5 guys in double digits per game while the Lakers have 4

And the Mavs have learned to play the style of ball that attacks the opponent. If they need to slow it down they will..If they need to run and gun they can still do that as well.

LOL...Los Angeles is 3RD in the NBA in assists per game as a team with 23.7. Only Phoenix and Utah get more assists each night as a team.

Dallas is 24TH in the NBA in assists per game at 19.2...

The Mavericks top assist man is Jason Terry at 4.9. The "Isolate Kobe and the other 4 watch him work" Lakers have two guys who average at least 4.9 with Lamar at 4.9, Kobe at 5.5 and Walton not too far behind at 4.2 a night.

Yep those Lakers just stand around and watch Kobe...LOL...I guess you must've missed those 9 assists he got in against Sacramento in ONE QUARTER last week.

pirate4state
01-08-2007, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan
ROTFLMAO...

WTH is "Basketball"?

:clap: :clap:

I must admit I did tune into the Spurs-Mavs game the other night. :hairpunk: :o :o

JR2004
01-08-2007, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by mwynn05
Man you would hate the Whataburger tournament then i guess you hate a lot of 1a 2a and 3a basketball too...and you hate a lot of the mid majors in college basketball too

Let's see. Coca-Cola tournament in Dallas vs. the Whataburger. Coca-Cola is where I'd rather be.

Hasn't been a Class A team I'd pay money to watch since Moulton's run of 4 straight trips to the state tournament in the late 90's. Those guys lost to Westlake on Westlake's homecourt in OT one of those seasons and beat Pflugerville Connally on the road as well. I'd pay to watch those Robert Tovar led teams. Morton would come close to getting me to pay to watch them with Kendrick and Calvin Johnson, but that's it. Brookeland would've been another team that I might've thought about, but they came and went pretty quickly after a two year run in Austin.

2A I'd watch Ponder and Brock ONLY because both have (or at least did have former Lampasas coaches) as their head coach when they won state. Jeff Bell in Brock and Doug Boxell in Ponder. Kountze I've enjoyed when I've gotten to see them. They play a style of ball I love to see. The only other team playing that 32 minutes of hell style of ball every night is Houston Wheatley. That's the kind of basketball I enjoy. I grew up on Nolan Richardson and Jerry Tarkanian. That's just what I like to watch because it was a great style of basketball.

Adidas410s
01-08-2007, 04:32 PM
LOL...Los Angeles is 3RD in the NBA in assists per game as a team with 23.7. Only Phoenix and Utah get more assists each night as a team.

The Mavericks top assist man is Jason Terry at 4.9. The "Isolate Kobe and the other 4 watch him work" Lakers have two guys who average at least 4.9 with Lamar at 4.9, Kobe at 5.5 and Walton not too far behind at 4.2 a night.

Yep those Lakers just stand around and watch Kobe...LOL...I guess you must've missed those 9 assists he got in against Sacramento in ONE QUARTER last week.

Go back 3 or 4 years and look at the Mavs assist numbers. When they were playing "Nellie ball" (which it sounds like you enjoyed more) they weren't getting a ton of assits then either. Nash was anywhere between 4.9 and the mid 7's other than the 8.8 that he put up in his last year in 04. Here are the team assist #'s from previous years:

05-06...17.4/game (30th)
04-05...19.3/game (26th)
03-04...23.7/game (3rd)
02-03...22.0/game (11th)
01-02...21.9/game (15th)

So yes the assist numbers have dropped of with AJ taking over. Let's look at two other catagories...PPG and FG%.

06-07...98.5 PPG 45.7% FG (14th and 13th)
05-06...99.3 PPG 46.0% FG (8th and 7th)
04-05...102.9 PPG 45.6% FG (3rd and 8th)
03-04...104.9 PPG 45.6% FG (1st and 4th)
02-03...103.2 PPG 45.2% FG (1st and 8th)
01-02...105.6 PPG 46.1% FG (1st and 4th)

These numbers tell us a few things:
1) the PPG are down 3-5 ponts depending on the season from Nellie to Avery.
2) The Mavs are making a higher % of shots under Avery.
3) The league as a whole is making a higher % of shots in the past 2 seasons.

Now...before making a conclusion on the 3rd point above, let's look at the Mavs PPG and FG% allowed and how that stacks up.

06-07...91.9 PPG 44.9% FG (5th and 9th)
05-06...93.6 PPG 44.9% FG (8th and 10th)
04-05...98.1 PPG 44.3% FG (17th and 11th)
03-04...100.6 PPG 45.8% FG (29th and 28th)
02-03...97.1 PPG 44.1% FG (19th and 15th)
01-02...101.7 PPG 45.2% FG (29th and 21st)

So these numbers (especially the FG% stats) indicate that teams are hitting a higher % of their shots in general and that the Mavericks are actually playing better defense (in terms of PPG allowed) against "better shooters."

Finally, their MOV (margin of victory) has gone up while their offensive production (in terms of scoring) has dropped minimally. Long and short...the Mavs are playing better basketball now than they were under Nelson. Avery has transformed the team into a contender instead of the pretender that always were under Nelson.

Txbroadcaster
01-08-2007, 04:50 PM

Oh I am sorry they pass it to Kobe he shoots and scores they get the assist....Or they pass it to Kobe he drives the lane and dumps it to a guy he shoots and scores..Sorry that still is not team basketball....

Team basketball is not one guy taking 19 shots a game and the next one is taking 7 shots less..The Lakers have two guys with double digits shot attempts per game.

The Mavs have one at 16 one at 15 one at 12 and two more knocking on the door with around 9 a game.

BTW I do agree I miss the offense that the Mavs use to have but they gave up it a bit to play defense, yet they still score.

And it is all of 4 assist per game difference between the LAkers and the Mavs..So it is not like the Mavs never pass and the LAkers always do.

JR2004
01-08-2007, 05:05 PM
Oh I am sorry they pass it to Kobe he shoots and scores they get the assist....Or they pass it to Kobe he drives the lane and dumps it to a guy he shoots and scores..Sorry that still is not team basketball....

Team basketball is not one guy taking 19 shots a game and the next one is taking 7 shots less..The Lakers have two guys with double digits shot attempts per game.

The Mavs have one at 16 one at 15 one at 12 and two more knocking on the door with around 9 a game.

BTW I do agree I miss the offense that the Mavs use to have but they gave up it a bit to play defense, yet they still score.

And it is all of 4 assist per game difference between the LAkers and the Mavs..So it is not like the Mavs never pass and the LAkers always do.

LOL...Kobe Hater...And no he's not my favorite Laker...Lamar and Luke are.

Txbroadcaster
01-08-2007, 05:08 PM
LOL...Kobe Hater...And no he's not my favorite Laker...Lamar and Luke are.

LOL nah actually not a Kobe hater at all..And I like Luke as well...I just know the LAkers are still a one trick pony even with Lamar playing better.

JR2004
01-08-2007, 05:24 PM

Team basketball is not one guy taking 19 shots a game and the next one is taking 7 shots less.

Well then I would guess you'd also say that the Chicago Bulls didn't play team basketball either during any of their 6 title runs as Scottie was never closer than being 6 shots behind MJ per game.

Now that the Lakers young guys are starting to be able to hit wide open jumpers they're playing better team basketball. Even my friends who are die-hard "Anybody but the Lakers" have admitted they're not a one-man show anymore. Kobe has bought into what Phil is selling. The same things he got MJ to buy into he's now getting Kobe to go along with. The Purple and Gold is just about 2 years away from being back at the top where they belong if they continue improving like they have since Phil came back.

Txbroadcaster
01-08-2007, 05:28 PM
Well then I would guess you'd also say that the Chicago Bulls didn't play team basketball either during any of their 6 title runs as Scottie was never closer than being 6 shots behind MJ per game.

Now that the Lakers young guys are starting to be able to hit wide open jumpers they're playing better team basketball. Even my friends who are die-hard "Anybody but the Lakers" have admitted they're not a one-man show anymore. Kobe has bought into what Phil is selling. The same things he got MJ to buy into he's now getting Kobe to go along with. The Purple and Gold is just about 2 years away from being back at the top where they belong if they continue improving like they have since Phil came back.

Dont get me talking about the Bulls of the 90s..YES they were great..and yes MJ is top 3 of all time..BUT I HATED and I mean HATED their style and how IMO they caused the slow down of basketball in the 90s..Teams learned to TRY to beat them you had to slow the game down..So games became dribble the 24 clock to 5 then one on one isolate dribble drive to hoop or kick out to wing...defense became the dominant factor and not in a good way. Offenses just sat around no floor movement and no fast breaks. It was BORING basketball

I do agree that the Lakers LOOK like they might be a force even early as this year, I could see them making a run in the play-offs

texasjeremy
01-08-2007, 05:48 PM
again I ask if the Mavs bore you with team ball..how can you enjoy the LAkers and their isolate Kobe and let him go one on one

Some people just aren't sports fans (though usually they are women). Im guessing there are a lot of things that guy would rather do than watch sports, like go shopping or talk on the phone.

JR2004
01-08-2007, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by texasjeremy
Some people just aren't sports fans (though usually they are women). Im guessing there are a lot of things that guy would rather do than watch sports, like go shopping or talk on the phone.

lol...Best you could come up with?

Txbroadcaster
01-08-2007, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by texasjeremy

*** LOL How did this get into a fun inteligent basketball debate

3afan
01-08-2007, 06:18 PM
LOL...Los Angeles is 3RD in the NBA in assists per game as a team with 23.7. ...

all the assists are to Kobe !!!

crzyjournalist03
01-08-2007, 06:29 PM
Last time I checked, teams that win 13 out of 14 and have a longer record of 28-4 over their last 32 games are few and far between in this league...Regardless of what happened last night, Dallas HAS to be the favorite at least at this point in the year.

RMAC
01-08-2007, 06:38 PM

Wasn't he selling the one-man show w/ the Bulls, or am I just totally off with that one? The Lakers are a good team but w/o Koby they won't win a title. And why did you start this thread w/ the name about the Mavs not winning a title this year then tell us how the Lakers are the greatest and most entertaining team ever? Why didn't you just call it that instead?

JR2004
01-08-2007, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by RMAC
Wasn't he selling the one-man show w/ the Bulls, or am I just totally off with that one? The Lakers are a good team but w/o Koby they won't win a title. And why did you start this thread w/ the name about the Mavs not winning a title this year then tell us how the Lakers are the greatest and most entertaining team ever? Why didn't you just call it that instead?

Thread started to make fun of Dallas for blowing a double digit 4th quarter lead to the Lakers in LA. Not as good as the 26 point collapse, but it was entertaining.

It's also off-season for football and there's not a whole lot to talk about. Poking fun at a franchise like Dallas gets people talking because there's plenty of Mavericks fans on here. I could make fun of the team south of them on I-35, but I had enough of that last year when the Spurs franchise did what they do best.

Bandera YaYa
01-08-2007, 10:33 PM

Besides the Purple and Gold I'll root for anyone that wants to play some uptempo basketball! That man you so viciously slaughtered his name, is one of the smartest EVER when it comes to understanding the game of the round ball....and you couldn't PAY me to attend a game of LookHowManyPointsICanMakeKobe, unless it was at the AT&T Center and the Spurs were "raping" him over the coals.....er, I mean "raking"............ :hand: :hand: