PDA

View Full Version : Texas Hires New Def. Coor.

espn1
01-07-2007, 11:35 PM
UT Hired Larry Mac Duff of the 49'ers as their new Def. Coordinator. Any thoughts?

(Larry Mac Duff, special teams coordinator; born June 22, 1948, Clinton, Iowa. Defensive end Fullerton (Calif.) J.C. 1966-67, Oklahoma 1968-69. No pro playing experience. College coach: Stanford 1980-83, Hawaii 1984-86, Arizona 1987-96, 2001-02. Pro coach: New York Giants 1997-2000, joined 49ers in 2003.)

g$$
01-07-2007, 11:40 PM
Surprised, thought it would be Jerry Gray. I know nothing about this guy, but obviously he is qualified.

espn1
01-07-2007, 11:45 PM
Should be a great addition!

Txbroadcaster
01-07-2007, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Surprised, thought it would be Jerry Gray. I know nothing about this guy, but obviously he is qualified.

I think one reason he was hired besides an extensive resume is the fact him and Duane Akina have worked together and are great friends.

g$$
01-07-2007, 11:49 PM
Nice sig TXB. Subtle jab huh?

espn1
01-07-2007, 11:50 PM
Did Akina and MacDuff Coach at Arizona at the same time?
http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/902/446238.jpg

Txbroadcaster
01-07-2007, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Nice sig TXB. Subtle jab huh?

lol nah after it was all said and done I just think that is a classic line so I had to keep it..Forces me to stay humble

g$$
01-08-2007, 12:17 AM
I bet Dick Tomey gave a good recommendation to Mack Brown. Tomey coached at Arizona during that time, & of course 1 year at Texas before taking the San Jose State job. Coaching is all about connections & friends in the business. Should do a great job. Remember Desert Swarm at 'Zona?

AggieJohn
01-08-2007, 10:22 AM
something tells me that they aren't completely happy with this pick

Txbroadcaster
01-08-2007, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
something tells me that they aren't completely happy with this pick

Why?

AggieJohn
01-08-2007, 10:26 AM
not a "big name"

kaorder1999
01-08-2007, 10:27 AM
arent many "Big Name" college coordinators out there!

injuredinmelee
01-08-2007, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
not a "big name"

because you have never heard of him?

Txbroadcaster
01-08-2007, 10:33 AM
I think they picked him because he is NOT a big name..Brown did not want another 1-2 years and then gone and have to look for a new one.

This guy has the skins on the wall, and LOOKS like he could be there 5 years or so

injuredinmelee
01-08-2007, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
I think they picked him because he is NOT a big name..Brown did not want another 1-2 years and then gone and have to look for a new one.

This guy has the skins on the wall, and LOOKS like he could be there 5 years or so

your right, Mack has made very mistakes in hiring (with the exception of Greg Davis who must have some pictures of Mack that Mack doesnt want released to the public).

kaorder1999
01-08-2007, 11:17 AM
Keep in mind he will be Co-Defensive Coord. with Duane Akina...

Txbroadcaster
01-08-2007, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
your right, Mack has made very mistakes in hiring (with the exception of Greg Davis who must have some pictures of Mack that Mack doesnt want released to the public).

I dont think it was a mistake..I think he wanted some guys with a track record and different coaching styles to come in and shake things up. Now he wants someone who will add some staying power to develop a certain style of play.

And for all the talk of Davis..the guy has taken different style QBs and made them all work. Texas has put up monster numbers with 4 diff qbs, and with diff styles. I dont always like his playcalling but his offenses have not been as bad as the fans have made them out to be

kaorder1999
01-08-2007, 11:21 AM
its amazing how when UT wins the glory all goes to the athletes and when they lose the blame goes directly to Greg Davis and Mack Brown for keeping Davis around...

LitanyofFury
01-08-2007, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
its amazing how when UT wins the glory all goes to the athletes and when they lose the blame goes directly to Greg Davis and Mack Brown for keeping Davis around...

Really? Seems to me like Greg Davis won the Assistant Coach of the Year award last year. . .

I don't really know too much about the new DC, other than he used to coach the Desert Swarm and he's worked with Akina before. Should be a guy that can help the Horns get their defense turned around.

JakefootballGOD
01-08-2007, 02:36 PM
they needed to do something...there secondary needs major work!

g$$
01-08-2007, 03:15 PM
Lots of Mack's in Austin:

Mack Brown (HC)
Mac McWhorter (O-line)
now Larry MacDuff (DC)
Greg "Mac" Davis (just kidding, but OC)

buff4life
01-08-2007, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by LitanyofFury
Really? Seems to me like Greg Davis won the Assistant Coach of the Year award last year. . .

I don't really know too much about the new DC, other than he used to coach the Desert Swarm and he's worked with Akina before. Should be a guy that can help the Horns get their defense turned around.

your joking right?...the only and i stress ONLY reason Greg Davis won that award is because of one of if not THE greatest collegiate player ever....he would call plays that wouldn't work but Vince would use his playmaking ability to make them work...it wasn't the coach it was the player

buff4life
01-08-2007, 05:28 PM

And for all the talk of Davis..the guy has taken different style QBs and made them all work. Texas has put up monster numbers with 4 diff qbs, and with diff styles. I dont always like his playcalling but his offenses have not been as bad as the fans have made them out to be

atleast someone feels similar to me....Like what he does with the players...but i HATE the playcalling...air it out more and run it north and south instead of east and west

Txbroadcaster
01-08-2007, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by buff4life
your joking right?...the only and i stress ONLY reason Greg Davis won that award is because of one of if not THE greatest collegiate player ever....he would call plays that wouldn't work but Vince would use his playmaking ability to make them work...it wasn't the coach it was the player

What about the numbers applewhite, Simms and now Colt has put up? I guess that was all player as well..Or the stable of backs that have come thru Texas..Or the TE, or the WRs...Like I said I get frustrated with some of the playcalling BUT the man deserves credit he has had an offense that has worked well with different style of Qbs over a long period of time

buff4life
01-08-2007, 05:43 PM
What about the numbers applewhite, Simms and now Colt has put up? I guess that was all player as well..Or the stable of backs that have come thru Texas..Or the TE, or the WRs...Like I said I get frustrated with some of the playcalling BUT the man deserves credit he has had an offense that has worked well with different style of Qbs over a long period of time

i never said he was that bad..i just said that Vince Young won that award for him that year...you have to agree with me on that

Emerson1
01-08-2007, 05:44 PM
I wish they would try to pound it up the middle some more. Especially with the injuries to the o-line this year. They weren't good enough to pull out every play. Did Texas have any runs over 30 yards by the running backs?

Txbroadcaster
01-08-2007, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by buff4life
i never said he was that bad..i just said that Vince Young won that award for him that year...you have to agree with me on that

Who gets credit for putting Young into the offense that fit his skills? Until Young Texas was a standard under center team almost west coast style with pass patterns and the timing between QB and WR

TexanAlum_06
01-08-2007, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
I wish they would try to pound it up the middle some more. Especially with the injuries to the o-line this year. They weren't good enough to pull out every play. Did Texas have any runs over 30 yards by the running backs?

I believe they only had a handful, maybe 3 or 4. I believe 2 of them occured in the Rice game... and one of the others was Colts scramble late in the TxTech game.

TexanAlum_06
01-08-2007, 06:38 PM
nm

Pudlugger
01-08-2007, 06:47 PM
This is an outstanding choice. The experience that he will bring to the field is considerable and he is a player's coach. Success in coaching is like success in love, it is all about the chemistry. Good decision Mack.