PDA

View Full Version : Major Applewhite contacted by Bama

luvhoops34
01-07-2007, 08:01 PM
Jan. 7, 2007, 4:45PM

Rice's Applewhite contacted by Alabama

First-year offensive coordinator says he has interest in the position, but hasn't been offered a job.

After helping steer Rice to its first bowl berth in 45 years, Owls offensive coordinator Major Applewhite was on Saturday morning contacted by Alabama, a preliminary step taken to gauge his interest in joining the staff of new Crimson Tide coach Nick Saban.

"I have been contacted and I do have some interest, but I have not been offered the job," Applewhite said. "I'll sit down with my wife, Julie, and we'll make a decision this week.

"Right now I'm still committed to Rice and the recruiting class we have coming here."

Applewhite, 28, further enhanced his reputation as a coaching wunderkind at Rice, installing a spread attack that scored the most points (350) and amassed the third-most yards (4,486) in school history. Under Applewhite, the Owls produced a 1,000-yard passer (Chase Clement), a 1,000-yard rusher (Quinton Smith) and a 1,000-yard receiver (Jarett Dillard) for the first time ever en route to the R+L Carriers New Orleans Bowl.

Applewhite posted a 22-8 record as a starting quarterback with the University of Texas, then spent two seasons (2003-04) as a graduate assistant with the Longhorns before following Greg Robinson to Syracuse, where Applewhite served as quarterbacks coach. Rice coach Todd Graham tabbed Applewhite to be his offensive coordinator last January, and Applewhite thrived despite being one of the youngest coordinators in the nation.

Saban was introduced at Alabama last Thursday. Applewhite does not have coaching ties to Saban or anyone on his staff, and there a reports that Applewhite would share offensive coordinator duties with former Texans offensive line coach Steve Marshall.

mk.bower@chron.com

carter08
01-07-2007, 08:40 PM
Once again

Roll Tide Roll

AggieJohn
01-07-2007, 09:28 PM
so he is interested in bama but not Iowa state

injuredinmelee
01-07-2007, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
so he is interested in bama but not Iowa state

hard to blame him for that.

buff4life
01-07-2007, 11:07 PM
Major and his wife came into the Giddings City Meat market one saturday and i happened to be in line right behind him and had a nice little conversation with him...GREAT PERSON...

IMO if he had been the starter his entire senior season...Texas would have been the team to get killed by Miami instead of Nebraska

g$$
01-08-2007, 04:07 AM
Major will be a HC soon. Great football mind & just has a presence about him. I bet he goes to Bama, then gets his own gig in a couple of years. Best of luck to him.