PDA

View Full Version : For the necks

WOS87
01-07-2007, 06:43 PM
http://members.aol.com/cboehme/thsf/westcolumbia87-06.gif

carter08
01-07-2007, 06:52 PM
I was looking at the one on THSF
Do any Roughneck fans from way back know what happened in 1988. Went 13-1 the year before, and started 4-0 that year. Lost the rest of the games that year scoring only 6 points after scoring at least 21 the first 4 games. The records after that were horrendous. What happened.

mwynn05
01-07-2007, 06:57 PM
Holy crap WC sucked in 1989...average score was 35-5 and scored double digits twice!!!

Necked
01-07-2007, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by carter08
I was looking at the one on THSF
Do any Roughneck fans from way back know what happened in 1988. Went 13-1 the year before, and started 4-0 that year. Lost the rest of the games that year scoring only 6 points after scoring at least 21 the first 4 games. The records after that were horrendous. What happened.

I don't know what caused it, as I was in college at the time & no one would/could tell me what happened, but a number of players either quit or were kicked off the team mid-season. I heard later on that some crime was involved but, again, I don't know if thats true or not, but is the only reason I ever heard on the subject.
Whatever the reason, the result was devestating to the program, & it took over 12 years to recover.....
Those were some long, painful years........

carter08
01-07-2007, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by Necked
I don't know what caused it, as I was in college at the time & no one would/could tell me what happened, but a number of players either quit or were kicked off the team mid-season. I heard later on that some crime was involved but, again, I don't know if thats true or not, but is the only reason I ever heard on the subject.
Whatever the reason, the result was devestating to the program, & it took over 12 years to recover.....

thats horrible. Back in 03 there were some similar issues with crime and stuff.

mwynn05
01-07-2007, 07:35 PM
Those were some long, painful years........ That and a drop to 3a

Necked
01-07-2007, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by mwynn05
That and a drop to 3a

We didn't drop until 2004, and the turn around actually started in '98 when the LaMarque coaches took over the program, when we were still 4A. Thats another mystery, why they would want to come to Columbia at that time. But I for one am glad they did....

carter08
01-07-2007, 08:34 PM
We didn't drop until 2004, and the turn around actually started in '98 when the LaMarque coaches took over the program, when we were still 4A. Thats another mystery, why they would want to come to Columbia at that time. But I for one am glad they did....

Columbia would be nowhere if not for Coach Lane

g$$
01-07-2007, 11:29 PM

That was my senior year in Sweeny 1988-1989. You are on the right track. They had injuries, suspensions, & dismissals from the team. We played them & lost our 1st game, then they did well for a while, then the roof fell in. WC was led by Jason Newman, Kevin Lavallis, Eric Simple, & others. Just say it was internal troubles b/c they had talent. The previous year they were very good led by Steve Caldwell & former LSU/NFL player Wayne Williams. Wayne was the fastest guy I ever played against. He could fly.

We started slowly in Sweeny after being preseason #3 in the State in '88, had some key injuries including losing our stud tailback Paul Free for the year in a car wreck, made lots of changes, won district, & wound up losing in the Semifinals to Navasota (& we gave that one away). SLC won the title the next week.

g$$
01-07-2007, 11:42 PM
WOS: if you get a chance can you do the same for Sweeny for these years? I would be interested to see it on paper. I followed from afar for many years when I was in college. Thanks.

necks_c/09
01-08-2007, 09:08 AM
thanks wos87.....great info...keep up the good work