PDA

View Full Version : UT Football Fans Only!

Phil C
01-07-2007, 11:33 AM
Did you know that we played 9 bowl teams during 2006 (ten if you count the 2006 Rose Bowl but I am referring to the 2006 team). I am also including Iowa in the Alamo Bowl. That is a pretty rugged schedule. True that there are 64 teams invited to bowl games (ten to BCS if I am not mistaken) but these are the best teams in the country usually. During the regular season 8 ot our 12 opponents made bowl games. Our three losses were against bowl teams and one is playing for the National Championship. Also we beat one of the BCS bowl teams 28 to 10.
An impressive schedule indeed.

injuredinmelee
01-07-2007, 12:39 PM
but we choked down the stretch and the season was a wash Phil. 10-3 might be good enough at some schools but not at UT.

Txbroadcaster
01-07-2007, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
but we choked down the stretch and the season was a wash Phil. 10-3 might be good enough at some schools but not at UT.

Why not? I am a UT fan but one title in 30 years does not give UT fans the right to claim that only top 3 finishes and NC every other year is only thing we accept.

awizzy
01-07-2007, 12:44 PM
went 10-3 with a freshmen QB and have a one of the best RB in the nation coming back i dont think this season was a complete wash

injuredinmelee
01-07-2007, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Why not? I am a UT fan but one title in 30 years does not give UT fans the right to claim that only top 3 finishes and NC every other year is only thing we accept.

losing to Kansas St a far inferior team makes the season a wash in itself. The loss to in state rival A&M makes the season a wash. Not finishing in the top ten makes the season a wash.

injuredinmelee
01-07-2007, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by awizzy
went 10-3 with a freshmen QB and have a one of the best RB in the nation coming back i dont think this season was a complete wash

Well I wish one of the best running backs in the nation could establish himself in the offense. Alot of that is the fault of the coaches however.

AggieJohn
01-07-2007, 02:54 PM
"it was a rebuilding year";)

buff4life
01-07-2007, 11:11 PM
Greg Davis is a horrible coach...VINCE YOUNG made Davis coach of the year last year with his legs...not with the playcalls...

This season was actually very successful it just seems so down now because we lost our last two games to sorrier teams and those losses kept us out of another shot at Ohio State in the NC...but lets go to next season and then 2008 when the Stadium will be done and its gonna be SWEET

awizzy
01-08-2007, 12:13 AM
Well I wish one of the best running backs in the nation could establish himself in the offense. Alot of that is the fault of the coaches however.
i wish they would just line up in the i formation and let him go the zone read or w/e they run only works when u have special player like VY at QB

g$$
01-08-2007, 01:09 AM
Colt McCoy is not a zone read QB. He is not the threat to run needed if you run this as your base set (VY certainly was of course). Colt is a drop back passer best suited to a pro style offense. And, Jamaal Charles is very fast, but I do not consider one of the best backs in the country much less the conference. You can name 10 guys right now better than him. Blame the scheme all you want, but Charles has not put up big #s. He is a scat back & track guy, not a between the tackles guy needed to move the chains.

I bet you $$ Charles fights to keep his starting job this spring.

LitanyofFury
01-08-2007, 04:38 AM
Well if he tossed 27 TDs working in a zone read offense no telling how many he'd throw in one more suited to him dropping back and chunking the rock. Gotta remember he's got all his receivers coming back. O-Line takes a hit tho with Studdard, Sendlein, and Blaylock graduating.

g$$
01-08-2007, 05:00 AM
Originally posted by LitanyofFury
Well if he tossed 27 TDs working in a zone read offense no telling how many he'd throw in one more suited to him dropping back and chunking the rock. Gotta remember he's got all his receivers coming back. O-Line takes a hit tho with Studdard, Sendlein, and Blaylock graduating.

I was not knocking McCoy at all, & I think he threw for 29 tds counting the bowl game. Just saying pro style would fit his strengths better IMO. O-line & secondary would be Texas' biggest needs heading into the offseason & looking to youngsters for help. Talent is there to reload.

For A&M, improving the vertical passing game (McGee hurt shoulder?) & getting more speed & athleticism on defense. A&M returns 18 starters (basically Warren, Bullitt, Schroeder, & Dickey, plus some role players like Riley, etc. are done).

OU returns 13 starters who have at least 2 yrs. of eligibility remaining. OU had only 11 seniors this past year - wow! QB a big question mark though obviously.

LitanyofFury
01-08-2007, 02:23 PM
Yeah, OU is ranked #5 in the '07 preseason poll supposedly with UT around #10 or so I think.

IMHO that's a little too high considering they'll be starting a JuCo (who's supposedly god-awful from all reports) at QB. Paul T. actually did a serviceable job at the position this year and gave Adrian and the other RBs some relief. Next year it'll be 90%+ runs the entire year and they won't have a freak like AP toting the rock. Plus they lose some key defensive guys like Birdine, etc. I believe.

In Colt's case. . .he's got the wheels to run the zone read. As well as Vince? Heck no, but then again nobody does and nobody ever will. I'd love to see us line up in the I formation with Lokey at fullback and let Jamaal get a running start at the line. The reason he's been unsuccessful IMHO is that he has to stand there and wait for the ball and immediately start making moves. He's a track star. . .if he was allowed to get a head of steam before hitting the line I think he'd have a much better time. Mack has basically admitted as much when he talked about the running problems the Horns had all year. He said they'd be looking into changing things up.

g$$
01-08-2007, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by LitanyofFury
Yeah, OU is ranked #5 in the '07 preseason poll supposedly with UT around #10 or so I think.

IMHO that's a little too high considering they'll be starting a JuCo (who's supposedly god-awful from all reports) at QB. Paul T. actually did a serviceable job at the position this year and gave Adrian and the other RBs some relief. Next year it'll be 90%+ runs the entire year and they won't have a freak like AP toting the rock. Plus they lose some key defensive guys like Birdine, etc. I believe.

In Colt's case. . .he's got the wheels to run the zone read. As well as Vince? Heck no, but then again nobody does and nobody ever will. I'd love to see us line up in the I formation with Lokey at fullback and let Jamaal get a running start at the line. The reason he's been unsuccessful IMHO is that he has to stand there and wait for the ball and immediately start making moves. He's a track star. . .if he was allowed to get a head of steam before hitting the line I think he'd have a much better time. Mack has basically admitted as much when he talked about the running problems the Horns had all year. He said they'd be looking into changing things up.

Good points. But, I disagree Colt is a runner in the zone read/ dart series scheme. Colt can run enough, but not a dual threat guy. Put him in a pro set & let him do his thing. Lokey is a good DT when healthy. Look for Cody Johnson from Waller to break onto the scene as a RB. Charles is a change of pace guy & not an every down back IMO. Charles cannot move the pile like others on campus can & will.

Not saying he is AD, but Allen Patrick at OU is a good RB. They have talent. OU's classes over the past 5 years are ranked higher than UT's (OU = 5.5 national avg., UT = 11.5 national avg. according to Rivals). I take those with a grain of salt of course, but they do have plenty of talent on hand.