PDA

View Full Version : My Son's Best Friend had a Seizure

Phil C
01-06-2007, 12:27 PM
This was a complete shock because of his age and no history before. It was similar to what my son has had. I am writing this to urge everyone to be aware. A person can have a seizure no matter what his/her age is and for those around the need to know what to do is very important.

This happened at the high school and it seems none of the other students around knew what to do (or at least that is my impression). When it hit him he hit the trophy window case and hit the hard marble floor and hit his head and chipped a couple of teeth. When something like that happens the first thing those around him need to do is to be sure he doesn't jerk around hitting objects and hurting himself. (I will speak in the masculine mode for convenience). Put something soft under his head to prevent head injurites. Just keep him comfortable and keep him from injuring himself. Have someone call medical help. Usually these type of seizures don't last more than a few minutes even though it probably seems like an eternity and you feel helpless espcially if it is your first time.
After proper medical staff comes you let them take over and get out of the way. You have done your job. Don't be so emotionally imvolved that you harasss them from doing their job.
They will let you know if they need help.
Seizures can happen probably anytime but my experiences has always been early in the morning and probably has come on because of a lack of rest. Remember these are my experiences only and not to be taken as conclusive. Medical doctors are the ones that know how to handle this. When my son had his seizures we were told that he should only take showers and not baths because of the risk. He should get pleanty of rest and sleep. He should not be put in dangerous situations such as at a high place, swimming alone or driving to name a few. In Texas you are not allowed to drive a car for at least six months after a seizure and after that it should only be if a qualified doctor gives the ok.

Hope this is not ever needed by any of you but if so maybe you can be ready. When my son had his first seizure we felt helpless and didn't know what to do. Fortunately, he collapsed on a soft floor with a rug and has never hurt himself. It is never easy but the first time is the hardest especially if it is so unexpected.

Phil C
01-06-2007, 12:30 PM
Also, above all if you or a family member has had a seizure you need to tell those that will be around the child about it and what to do. Sure they will be nervous when you first tell them but if the child has the seizure they will know what to do and be braced for it when it happens. That is much better than a complete surprise. It is most important that his/her friends, teachers, and all others around the child to know about this.

Also contact sports are to be avoided by those who have had seizures. This disappointed my son because he wanted to get some boxing gloves for Christmas but that had to be changed.

charlesrixey
01-06-2007, 12:45 PM
I had an 'unexplained loss of consciousness' my senior year during lunch--passed out on the table, then rolled back off of the bench and smacked my head onto the floor (lots of blood--ironically there was a blood drive going on at school, and i was supposed to give blood later on).

Some people said i was twitching, some said i wasn't---but a month later the same thing happened to another kid, but it was definately a seizure.

Hopefully your son and the other kid will be fine, it can be a very scary experience

WildTexan
01-06-2007, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by charlesrixey
I had an 'unexplained loss of consciousness' my senior year during lunch--passed out on the table, then rolled back off of the bench and smacked my head onto the floor (lots of blood--ironically there was a blood drive going on at school, and i was supposed to give blood later on).

Some people said i was twitching, some said i wasn't---but a month later the same thing happened to another kid, but it was definately a seizure.

Hopefully your son and the other kid will be fine, it can be a very scary experience

OK OK....I hassle the UT kiss up machine often, but in THIS case he has done a good thing....my daughter's best friend in HS had seizures, so we were taught by her parents how to handle it just in case, and what to avoid to try to limit incidents....so while this is a 3A board and not a UT fan board (they have those for all of yall to rub on each other and stay warm), I do feel anytime a public service like this is offered, at a minimum we can all at least read and learn, just in case.....someday......God forbid we should need the knowledge....

WildTexan
01-06-2007, 01:30 PM
oopps.....it posted Rixey's message as to what I was replying to.....sorry Rixey.....was meaning the PhilC ut kissin machine....

you are just a UT fan that replies, but does not force it continually into our lives.....

dint you say Iraq for you was coming again? be safe my man....keep you head down and don't pick up any packages off the ground.....

charlesrixey
01-06-2007, 01:49 PM
it's all good, tex

injuredinmelee
01-06-2007, 02:53 PM
As I have told most of you before my son also has seizures so I know what everyone is goign through. Good luck to him!