PDA

View Full Version : UT's Defensive Tackle Frank Okam will return his senior year!

Phil C
01-06-2007, 12:14 PM
Good news indeed!

:) :clap:

charlesrixey
01-06-2007, 12:32 PM
woohoo!

Any news on any of the others? come to think of it, i don't know how many others are considering

Emerson1
01-06-2007, 12:33 PM
I don't think anyone else will leave early. None of the juniors played well enough this season for scouts to consider them going the first day.

tigerpride_08
01-06-2007, 12:35 PM
Texas usually does a good job keeping the players...

Phil C
01-06-2007, 12:35 PM
I don't think UT has any others planning on leaving. USC's great WR Jarrett is considering. If he goes he will probably be a very early pick and make lots of money. If not he can get insurance.

Txbroadcaster
01-06-2007, 12:39 PM
It is only good news if he has a better senior year than junior year. He did alot of talking about what he was going to do, then had a VERY queit year

TexanAlum_06
01-06-2007, 01:41 PM
Frank Okam's best year was when he was a true freshmen.

TexanAlum_06
01-06-2007, 01:42 PM
Unless he comes back and starts wreckin shop next year I would rather have Lokey and Miller in there. they get a much better pass rush.

Phil C
01-06-2007, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by TexanAlum_06
Unless he comes back and starts wreckin shop next year I would rather have Lokey and Miller in there. they get a much better pass rush.

That is true. We do need to improve on our pass rush next year.

injuredinmelee
01-06-2007, 01:47 PM
good to have he and Limas back next year.

TexanAlum_06
01-06-2007, 01:51 PM
I think it will be better. especially with Orakpo starting full time and it will be interesting to see eddie jones and greg ellis get out there. Aaron Lewis isnt to bad but hes better against the run... I think if they hand over the reigns to Akina we will see a lot of pressure on QB's next year. Which I think is good. I just didnt think Chizik had good blitz packages at all. we would bring 6 or 7 sometimes against 5 lineman and never seem to get there. Our Blitz will be a lot more effective next year. I like what I saw in the Alamobowl.

TexanAlum_06
01-06-2007, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
good to have he and Limas back next year.

yeah its about time they put Limas' skills to good use this year.

charlesrixey
01-06-2007, 01:53 PM
I hope Kindle establishes himself next year, he will be heavily relied upon in 2008--i hope he can become another linebacking star--or even halfback if necessary. He seemed a little timid, although he has an excuse, being a freshman

TexanAlum_06
01-06-2007, 02:00 PM
Yeah I think he should of red-shirted this year. Becuase he was sparingly used.. he showed signs of dominance to come. he is a physical specimen. I wouldnt call him the next DJ yet. because he hasnt proven anything so far. But I bet he will push for a starting role this year. the way I look at it though, if you aint gonna play him at LB, then let him play some DE in pass rushing situations. or something, GET HIM ON THE FIELD!!!! We might see him at RB next year, I think a lot of that might depend on if Fr. Cody Jonhson can handle the short yardage running. Sergio is a pretty nice guy to. funny.

Emerson1
01-06-2007, 02:05 PM
The main reason he wasn't used at LB was because he missed all of the pre-season with a high ankle sprain, pretty sure he missed 1-2 games aswell. Same reason Drew Kelson didn't get as much playing time, both would of helped the horrible and slow linebacking corp that was put on the field this year.

TexanAlum_06
01-06-2007, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
The main reason he wasn't used at LB was because he missed all of the pre-season with a high ankle sprain, pretty sure he missed 1-2 games aswell. Same reason Drew Kelson didn't get as much playing time, both would of helped the horrible and slow linebacking corp that was put on the field this year.

Yeah a lot of truth to that.... I like Drew Kelson. I alwaz have. one guy that proved me wrong this year and made me a believer was Scott Derry. he really improved as the year went on and everytime I saw him out there I would cringe but every game he made some big plays and proved me wrong! so he earned my repsect. Sometimes I question why the UT staff will burn someones redshirt year for late 4th qaurter mop up duty and kickoff coverage. I just dont see the point. if it was me, after Kindle injured his ankle and was out I would of redshirted him. hes a guy you want to be around as long as possible.:confused:

TMer25
01-06-2007, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by TexanAlum_06
Yeah a lot of truth to that.... I like Drew Kelson. I alwaz have. one guy that proved me wrong this year and made me a believer was Scott Derry. he really improved as the year went on and everytime I saw him out there I would cringe but every game he made some big plays and proved me wrong! so he earned my repsect. Sometimes I question why the UT staff will burn someones redshirt year for late 4th qaurter mop up duty and kickoff coverage. I just dont see the point. if it was me, after Kindle injured his ankle and was out I would of redshirted him. hes a guy you want to be around as long as possible.:confused:

Roddrick Muckelroy will be returning from his injury as well. He played well in the 3 games he started this year before he got hurt.

LitanyofFury
01-06-2007, 02:19 PM
AK should have been playing the entire year. He ran step for step with Reggie Bush and that WAS an interception. Then. . .this year we don't see him hardly at all???

Frank needs to come back. Didn't have an outstanding year and he needs to show all the NFL folks he can be dominant.

Our LB will be completely locked and loaded. WAY too much talent there. The secondary on the other hand.....

TexanAlum_06
01-06-2007, 02:31 PM
Yeah Muckelroy did look good in the games that he was in there. Our LBer Corps gets stronger and stronger every year. and I think it will be even better in a few years when we have Norton Kindle and Robinson out there. very athletic. I think Curtis Brown will make a contribution this year. Im interested to see if chykie brown will live up to his expectations next year.

Txbroadcaster
01-06-2007, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by LitanyofFury
AK should have been playing the entire year. He ran step for step with Reggie Bush and that WAS an interception. Then. . .this year we don't see him hardly at all???

We did not see Kelton much cause he was banged up pretty much the entire year.

Maroon87
01-06-2007, 05:04 PM
Kelson can freakin' fly!:eek:

Emerson1
01-06-2007, 05:39 PM
I never have to leave the 4-3 on NCAA 07, I just throw Kelson in man and let him cover a receiver.

g$$
01-07-2007, 03:21 AM
Okam had a quiet year. Kelson can play when healthy. Derry is a serviceable back-up, but not an every down player (remember Alexander trucking him in the A&M game on the winning score?). Texas' LBs made few big plays this year, & in their scheme that spells trouble.

The guy who did nothing this year to me was Killebrew. All talk & penalties, no action. He is very talented but seemingly a head case. No doubt Texas will reload. To me, secondary is the biggest question this off-season on defense.

Txbroadcaster
01-07-2007, 03:37 AM
Originally posted by g$$
Okam had a quiet year. Kelson can play when healthy. Derry is a serviceable back-up, but not an every down player (remember Alexander trucking him in the A&M game on the winning score?). Texas' LBs made few big plays this year, & in their scheme that spells trouble.

The guy who did nothing this year to me was Killebrew. All talk & penalties, no action. He is very talented but seemingly a head case. No doubt Texas will reload. To me, secondary is the biggest question this off-season on defense.

I agree on secondary..I think the talent will be there, but will be young. I amcurious to see who the DC will be and the scheme he will use.

g$$
01-07-2007, 03:53 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
I agree on secondary..I think the talent will be there, but will be young. I amcurious to see who the DC will be and the scheme he will use.

Talent is there no doubt (Beasley, Ch. Brown, Cu. Brown, etc.). I keep hearing Jerry Gray will be the new DC. Bringing back the former All-American DB & NFL assistant. If so, he favors a multiple 4-3 & loves to bring pressure (played under Leon Fuller of course at UT). At least he did with Buffalo when he was there as DC, & now in Washington as Secondary Coach. See what happens...