PDA

View Full Version : I love the Great State of Texas but...

ASUFrisbeeStud
01-06-2007, 01:57 AM
I love Texas just as much as anyone, I mean I'm one of the crazy people that have a Texas Flag Tattooed on my chest but I had to make the short trip from Sweetwater to El Paso today (then back to San Angelo) to drop off my nieces (my sister lives in Phoenix and they are scared to fly by themselves so we meet them halfway so they can come stay for the holidays) and OMG there is nothing out there. I grew up in West Texas and have loved every minute of it, but once you get passed Midland/ Odessa there is nothing there. So I started thinking about how much West Texas has been shrinking in the past two decades. From Sweetwater to El Paso you pass through or see signs to some pretty dang good football towns and all of them are shrinking. Snyder, Big Spring, Lamesa, Andrews, Ft Stockton, Monahans, Pecos, ect. It's a shame that people are moving to more populated areas, all these towns used to have powerful 4A programs and now most are 3a, some still powers but still. It's kinda sad, where is West Texas football going to be in another ten years unless there is an oil boom. I want to see the days of these teams dominating, not just region one either, and I'm talking about Permian and everyone out there winning some state titles again. I hope it can happen, I love the heritage and the history associated with West Texas. Just my thoughts for today since I haven't been here to post, if I rambled just remember I'm tired I drove 800 miles roundtrip today.

pirate4state
01-06-2007, 02:20 AM
That is the longest drive EVER!! We drove out to Vegas a few years ago and the drive from Odessa to El Paso was just brutal. AND it was late at night so that made it even worse. Ugh. :)

loboes86
01-06-2007, 10:26 AM
The price of oil is 58.75 friday according to paper. This is as close to a oil boom as you can get. People are not interested in living in our small towns anymore. Some of our towns just don't have the services the larger towns have to offer, shopping and places to eat to name a few.