PDA

View Full Version : Best QB in Region 3

c-town_balla
07-02-2002, 10:01 PM
For just a athleate (sp?) I would say Billy Pittman. But as a true QB I would go with the guys out of Jasper of Sinton.

Old Cardinal
07-02-2002, 10:22 PM
The best passing QB's have got to be James Northcutt-Barber's Hill, Jamie Knight- Bridge City, and Rodriguez Mitchell-Jasper. Of course, Jasper might not even have to put the ball up very much! I am not slighting any of the other school's QB's, but am more familiar with these mentioned.

spirate_9
07-02-2002, 10:23 PM
Sinton is in Region 4, but they do have a very good quarterback, Adrian Alaniz. Last year he passed for 1,887 yards and rushed for somewhere around 500.

c-town_balla
07-03-2002, 12:00 AM
O my bad with that. The guy out of Mexia had 1,340yd passing. THe only two QB's with Pics in DCTF is Pittman and the Mexia guy.

IM listing the fastest QB's
(Arm's may suck but they can run)

Billy Pittman 4.5 Cameron 4.4 by lastest count thought
Thad Freeman 4.7 MArlin
Braxton Harris 4.5 Mexia <white guy!!!
Tyrone coleman 4.6 madisonville
Garett Moore 4.6 Teague
Rodriguez Mitchell 4.5 Jasper
Chris Miller 4.6 Diboll
Garett Blake 4.6 Woodville
Kegan Vann 4.6 Huntington
Gary Ramond 4.5 Anahuac
Cedric Resscano 4.5 Hardin
James Northcutt 4.5 Barbers Hill
Jimmie Liscomb 4.4 Navasota
Ronald Isom 4.4 Elgin (useless last year held to 12 yard rushing on 24 trys vs. yoe)

I was surprised by the number of non-playoff teams that have a speedster (4)and really speed is useless with out a line..(ie hearne the last 5 years)

duckbutter
07-03-2002, 09:08 AM
I heard through the grapevine that Rodriguez Mitchell is not going to play next yr due to an injury from last yr. Going to concentrate on baseball. Just something i heard from a reliable source, don't know if it true or not. If it is true then Jasper will lose one of its major weapons because that kids lateral movement is incredible. JDOG have you heard anything about this?

bigcat8
07-03-2002, 09:18 AM
I was excited about this message board until I saw cballa and remember his negative post on texas gridiron. First of all, you have to be a student to make some of the statements that come out of your mouth. I take offense to you calling players useless.I did my homework on the Isom kid and here are the facts. He carried the ball 14 times against Cameron not 24.8 of those carries came from a position other than QB. He split time with #7 last year. Next, he made 1st team all district at RB and rushed for over a 1000 yards in a split role.So the other coaches in the district must have thought a lot of him to vote him on the all-district team.Finally, he ran the 40 at 2 combines and 2 camps and his slowest time was 4.33. So before he give high praise to players from places like Hardin,Huntington do your homework if you are going to put facts on this board. Stay positive.
Originally posted by c-town_balla:
O my bad with that. The guy out of Mexia had 1,340yd passing. THe only two QB's with Pics in DCTF is Pittman and the Mexia guy.

IM listing the fastest QB's
(Arm's may suck but they can run)

Billy Pittman 4.5 Cameron 4.4 by lastest count thought
Thad Freeman 4.7 MArlin
Braxton Harris 4.5 Mexia <white guy!!!
Tyrone coleman 4.6 madisonville
Garett Moore 4.6 Teague
Rodriguez Mitchell 4.5 Jasper
Chris Miller 4.6 Diboll
Garett Blake 4.6 Woodville
Kegan Vann 4.6 Huntington
Gary Ramond 4.5 Anahuac
Cedric Resscano 4.5 Hardin
James Northcutt 4.5 Barbers Hill
Jimmie Liscomb 4.4 Navasota
Ronald Isom 4.4 Elgin (useless last year held to 12 yard rushing on 24 trys vs. yoe)

I was surprised by the number of non-playoff teams that have a speedster (4)and really speed is useless with out a line..(ie hearne the last 5 years)

toby070
07-03-2002, 10:04 AM
Anderle of LaGrange may not have the greatest arm, but he is sure a running threat. He is very patient, doesn't make many mistakes.

BTW, you know how some coaches overstate speed/size and some understate them? After reading DCTF, I can now assume that Valastero is one that understates. I think they have Anderle's speed listed at 4.7 or 4.8...he got the corner on a legit 4.5 (or faster) corner in Meeks of Wimberley last year...4.8 my fanny.

c-town_balla
07-03-2002, 11:13 AM
Hey I use DCTF thats pretty reilable isn't it? And do you want me to refrase??? ok he was unpreductive v.s yoe

[This message has been edited by c-town_balla (edited July 03, 2002).]

bigcat8
07-03-2002, 11:55 AM
BTW, I believe Isom has his picture in DCTF also.No one was overly productive against Giddings or Cameron's Def.in 2001.
Originally posted by c-town_balla:
Hey I use DCTF thats pretty reilable isn't it? And do you want me to refrase??? ok he was unpreductive v.s yoe

[This message has been edited by c-town_balla (edited July 03, 2002).]

Bulldog92
07-03-2002, 12:58 PM
If Mitchell doesn't play, McQueen is a more than suitable replacement at QB. The question then becomes who will replace McQueen at tailback. If that is true, Jasper probably isn't a top 5 anymore unless they have someone waiting in the wings that I'm not aware of...

Chris Hart
07-03-2002, 01:05 PM
Surely if Jasper would heve lost a player like Mitchell it would be all over the web and this is the first I've heard about it,My brother plays for Jasper and he hasn't said anything about it.

------------------
Big Green Dawg

Matthew328
07-03-2002, 01:07 PM
I agree...Mitchell is a player...if he decided not to play someone would have found out about it by now...

duckbutter
07-03-2002, 01:19 PM
I have gotten this information from several different people, both here and in Jasper, and they all told me that he has any injury to his back and that he will most likely not play this yr. Hope it is not true because he is one hell of an athlete.

Old Cardinal
07-03-2002, 07:20 PM
Thank you bigcat8 for clarifying the speed of Ronald Isom-he and Perry Carrington (BH) are two of the fastest in the state.....I once saw, many years ago, at the end of a game, a 100m state champion, Leslie Brown from Snyder caught from behind on what should have been the winning TD. The kid from Andrews that caught him COULD CARRY HIS EQUIPMENT BETTER! Speed in uniform can be different, than at a track meet.

[This message has been edited by Old Cardinal (edited July 03, 2002).]

bigcat8
07-04-2002, 01:08 PM
Isom CARRIES HIS PADS JUST FINE. I agree with you, big difference between track speed and FB speed. I think it has something to do with getting HIT...My point was this-If somone is going to all the trouble to post facts about players and then rip their meat in the end at least get those facts straight. Cballa quoted 4 lies about one player in one post and then called him useless at the end of that post.Opinions are one thing,facts are another.I use to read another board where cballa made numerous post and most of them were silly and immature. He definitely is a student, but finally when you read enough you feel obligated to respond. I just wanted to set the record straight about the facts. His opinion is just that,an opinion....
Originally posted by Old Cardinal:
Thank you bigcat8 for clarifying the speed of Ronald Isom-he and Perry Carrington (BH) are two of the fastest in the state.....I once saw, many years ago, at the end of a game, a 100m state champion, Leslie Brown from Snyder caught from behind on what should have been the winning TD. The kid from Andrews that caught him COULD CARRY HIS EQUIPMENT BETTER! Speed in uniform can be different, than at a track meet.

bigcat8
07-04-2002, 01:08 PM
Isom CARRIES HIS PADS JUST FINE. I agree with you, big difference between track speed and FB speed. I think it has something to do with getting HIT...My point was this-If somone is going to all the trouble to post facts about players and then rip their meat in the end at least get those facts straight. Cballa quoted 4 lies about one player in one post and then called him useless at the end of that post.Opinions are one thing,facts are another.I use to read another board where cballa made numerous post and most of them were silly and immature. He definitely is a student, but finally when you read enough you feel obligated to respond. I just wanted to set the record straight about the facts. His opinion is just that,an opinion....
Originally posted by Old Cardinal:

j_dog
07-04-2002, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by duckbutter:
I heard through the grapevine that Rodriguez Mitchell is not going to play next yr due to an injury from last yr. Going to concentrate on baseball. Just something i heard from a reliable source, don't know if it true or not. If it is true then Jasper will lose one of its major weapons because that kids lateral movement is incredible. JDOG have you heard anything about this?

Well, yes and no. I know he had a back injury during the spring and did not get into the baseball games the last part of the season. It was no secret, it was in the newspaper. He was on the team, but did not play, which was a real shame for Jasper. He was the one player who probably could have matched Forest Brooks speed, maybe even exceeded it. In the first part of the season it was bunt, steal second, steal third, maybe even home. He was unreal I hear.

So, it will not surprise me if he cannot play this fall. But, if he can go, he can run AND throw like few I have ever seen. But, if he cannot play, you probably will get Jason McQueen and he is even more dangerous in a lot of ways. Mitchell was injured in the Newton game last year. McQueen had to move to QB without benefit of having taken a varsity game snap. The next week he started against Ozen, threw for 199 or so yards, and ran for 300. Not too shabby for a backup. Jasper basically won district without Mitchell last year so I don't think it is a deal buster. I may be wrong, but I don't think he came back full time until the playoffs started.

If McQueen moves to QB, at RB Jasper still has James Bass (good quickness), and Big Mo, Marlon Cook. AT 5' 10" and 220 lbs he just runs straight over people. Plus, they surely will have a few good folks coming up from the JV. Yes, if Mitchell does not play, it would be a set-back, but it does not change my feeling that they are still one of the top two teams in 3a. After all, Jorrie Adams opens holes most any of us could walk through. As Old Cardinal implied somewhere else here, Jasper may not even need to pass. Even though they were in a "Spread Offense" last year, in many games they hardly threw at all. They were getting their yards on the ground. However, losing Mitchell is NOT the way I want Jasper to start the year. I certainly hope it doesn't happen. Too many injuries can stop anybody.

Dealer
07-05-2002, 10:43 AM
Sorry duckbutter, but Rodriguez will is a football player..he'll be ready.

duckbutter
07-05-2002, 01:17 PM
I'm really hoping that the kid plays this yr. It would be a shame to see a kid with that kind of talent not be able to play. He is a blast to watch except when jasper is playing Newton.

j_dog
07-05-2002, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by duckbutter:
I'm really hoping that the kid plays this yr. It would be a shame to see a kid with that kind of talent not be able to play. He is a blast to watch except when jasper is playing Newton.

Duckbutter, I would expect that Dealer is right. I can't see that Rodriguez would walk away if he can possibly play at all. And, yes, he is a joy to watch. And to think, he is not listed in the top anything. Guess it may have had to do with his injuries last year. The WO-S announcers were astounded last year that he could run OUTSIDE on them. They kept saying, NOBODY can do that to WO-S. But he did.

Hey, Newton and Jasper are both in the catbird seat. If that is the only game either loses, both are in the playoffs and will not have to meet again. So, I figure they can play the game for fun and SE Texas pride. Good luck to Newton.

Bulldog92
07-05-2002, 04:55 PM
j_dog....have you heard anything from the coaching staffs about Jasper's freshman and JV teams? What do we have in reserves in case of injuries?

Pudlugger
07-07-2002, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by toby070:
Anderle of LaGrange may not have the greatest arm, but he is sure a running threat. He is very patient, doesn't make many mistakes.

BTW, you know how some coaches overstate speed/size and some understate them? After reading DCTF, I can now assume that Valastero is one that understates. I think they have Anderle's speed listed at 4.7 or 4.8...he got the corner on a legit 4.5 (or faster) corner in Meeks of Wimberley last year...4.8 my fanny.

I agree, Anderle is faster than 4.7. Coach V tends to understate speeds IMO. Anderle will be even stronger this season and should prove to be a big threat. He has the ability to find the seam in the line and, like Tye Gunn, can really accelerate when he gets around the corner. He is an effective passer as well, making the option and screen pass work well for the Leps. The Leps will be deep at Qb with Lewis, an excellent JV Qb moving up this year. Both can run the veer offense well.

QBKilla
07-07-2002, 09:22 PM
Everyone should expect big things from James Northcutt out of Barbers Hill this year. He started at cornerback last season and knows the coverages that will be thrown at him. He saw time last year at QB and was excellent his sophomore year on JV. He is calm in the pocket and can scramble with the best of them. He runs a 4.5 and can throw the ball a mile with incredible accuracy. Northcutt will put up some big numbers in '02 and bring his team a long ways.

toby070
07-07-2002, 09:59 PM
Pudlugger, Anderle was awesome against Wimberley, seemed to constantly get 4-5 yards at least, and mixed in some killer long runs. I think he had more than 15 carries in the first quarter of that game. Tough kid!

j_dog
07-08-2002, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by Bulldog92:
j_dog....have you heard anything from the coaching staffs about Jasper's freshman and JV teams? What do we have in reserves in case of injuries?

No, I have not heard anything directly. I do know that two freshmen were on the varsity last year and played some. I think it was Jordon Patton who started against Forest Brook and Bay City. For depth, I am hoping the defensive backs that got knocked out for the season last year make it back. I think 4 out of the 5 were juniors. One was a Limbrick and I think you know what that means. He probably would have had all-state written all over his back if he had not gotten injured.

The other place I am anticipating depth is from the seniors. With 35 to 40 seniors, depending on who is counting, we will probably get some pleasant surprises. I heard Walkoviak say one time that the secret to a good program is how many of the marginal kids you can keep in the program until they are seniors. That you never know which kid will blossom and be the starting star his senior year. I remember that in 1980 he had a defensive back starting who had never started at any level in his life. He helped the Dogs to an undefeated season that year. And last year, wasn't it 15 juniors who stayed down on the JV, getting playing experience? One thing that Brooks did an incredible job of was getting the participation level back up like it used to be. In fact, the level now is probably the highest it has ever been. They reportedly were adding to the field house just to accomodate the number of athletes this year. I suspect the quality of reserves will not be a problem.

Bulldog92
07-08-2002, 10:59 PM
That's great news. I think our level of participation over the years was what made Jasper football so special. I know that every little boy in Jasper's dream is to be on that field at the Doghouse on Friday nights. Hopefully the new coach can keep it rolling... http://bbs.3adownlow.com/ubb/smile.gif

duckbutter
07-09-2002, 11:04 AM
Boy I wish we had the same paticipation level as Jasper does. Some of our best athletes don't even play sports when they get to be srs. Looks like we will only have about 25 on varsity this yr. Having no depth can kill you when you hit the playoffs, but the kids we do have will be players and they give all they have.

c-town_balla
07-09-2002, 10:34 PM
Our level of participation....is hmmm alot. in cameron thats all there is every one wants to play football and everyone that dosent is at the game the whole town is football.

j_dog
07-09-2002, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by Bulldog92:
That's great news. I think our level of participation over the years was what made Jasper football so special. I know that every little boy in Jasper's dream is to be on that field at the Doghouse on Friday nights. Hopefully the new coach can keep it rolling... http://bbs.3adownlow.com/ubb/smile.gif

I forgot to mention, those two freshmen, sophs this year, have SPEED, SPEED, SPEED... And one has the moves to go with it. So, in case misfortune does strike at QB, or RB, we just might be seeing him there. Or, at WR. By the way, I heard that Jasper's varsity travel squad this year will be around 50 kids. There ought to be players in there somewhere.

Chris Hart
07-14-2002, 11:21 PM
Well I talked to my brother today.He plays for Jasper and he said Mitchell is going to play and he is a team captain.I figured he would play but just thought I would let some of you know that what you were hearing was just rumors.Apparently he is very healthy and hungry as is the rest of their team for the 3A state crown.

------------------
Big Green Dawg

Bulldog92
07-15-2002, 12:04 AM
Newton has only 25 kids on varsity? WOW. That means a pretty high percentage of those kids will play both ways. Depth is gonna be a problem for you guys. You're definitely right about that. Do you guys use a lot of the JV kids during the season? I know that Jasper does that a lot with their best JV and freshman kids depending on fail-outs and injuries, but I never realized that Newton had the problems with participation that they do. Is there any concern about dropping to 2A in the next realignment?

duckbutter
07-15-2002, 02:40 PM
We were very close to dropping to 2A this time. I don't recall how many over the limit we were but it was only a few. Just a couple of weeks before school was out we were 3 kids under the 2A limit. Go figure. I don't see how we can stay 3A next time around. Depth is a big problem with Newton, just one key injury (Will Gulley against Giddings) and its over. This is nothing new to us but the numbers are down from past yrs. I see us playing a lot of soph and a few freshmen.

Bulldog92
07-15-2002, 03:53 PM
That makes a lot of sense. The lack of depth forces Barbay to use younger guys every year so I guess it doesn't make as much of a difference as I thought. That's why your seniors are almost always very seasoned players. Jasper very rarely plays younger guys unless they are "men among boys" at the JV level. Our kids generally have to wait their turn because we're always so deep at most every position. It'll help us a lot more now that we've dropped down because most 3A teams face the same issues Newton has. Coach Barbay does more with what he has than anybody. I never met the guy when I was in Jasper, but he's a hell of a football coach.