PDA

View Full Version : Randy Kitchens

redfish961
01-04-2007, 08:31 PM
Wondering what everyone's thoughts are on graduating Robinson QB Randy Kitchens? I thought for sure he would get some offers from some D-1 schools, but so far, none reported.

For those that are familiar with him, do you think he has D-1 talent, and if so, what position would you project him at?

I think he can play D-1 ball, but I admit to being biased. What do you think?

g$$
01-04-2007, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by redfish961
Wondering what everyone's thoughts are on graduating Robinson QB Randy Kitchens? I thought for sure he would get some offers from some D-1 schools, but so far, none reported.

For those that are familiar with him, do you think he has D-1 talent, and if so, what position would you project him at?

I saw him play once vs. WC at Kyle Field. Yes, I think he is a D1 player. Surprised he has no offers. Good arm, good athlete, very smooth & polished, seemed to be a leader, etc. I bet he ends up helping someone soon at the D1 level. Best of luck.

Did he attend any football camps to get noticed? In today's world, that is a must. Camps have become major recruiting tools. Most major schools have a list formed by the end of summer as to whom they plan to offer.

neck_06
01-04-2007, 08:37 PM
its hard to project him because i've never seen him catch a ball....but i see him as a WR or a DB in college.......maybe a QB.

and yes, he is a D1 talent.

necks_c/09
01-04-2007, 08:46 PM
saw him versus us and he looked pretty good to me.....good speed...good instincts....leadership....good arm.....

overall a good athlete......maybe a d-1 talent.....he had a pretty good team around him so that helps him quite a bit....

big daddy russ
01-04-2007, 08:47 PM
D1 prospect at QB IMO. Yeah, he's fast and athletic, but he makes great reads and puts the ball where it needs to be. Definitely a QB.

neck_06
01-04-2007, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by necks_c/09
he had a pretty good team around him so that helps him quite a bit....

division 1 college teams are usually pretty good too.......

redfish961
01-04-2007, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by neck_06
division 1 college teams are usually pretty good too.......

One thing for sure, is once you get to D-1, 4.6 speed isn't extraordinary anymore. It's the norm.

The thing I like about Kitchens is, his instinct is his best attribute. His moves combined with his speed have proven to be a fairly lethal combo in many instances. He's a winner and has much heart.

I know his grades aren't a problem, he's got good size, and good speed.

Personally, I think he could give a run at QB and if it didn't work out, he could play WR or DB. I believe QB is his best shot.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
01-04-2007, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
D1 prospect at QB IMO. Yeah, he's fast and athletic, but he makes great reads and puts the ball where it needs to be. Definitely a QB.

Finally, something that we can agree on once again.

carter08
01-04-2007, 10:20 PM
Kitchens is a good player

charlesrixey
01-04-2007, 10:27 PM
i think he would be a good pick-up for rice or UNT

redfish961
01-04-2007, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by charlesrixey
i think he would be a good pick-up for rice or UNT

I was kind of thinking that (UNT). I'd like to see UNT do well since my oldest will go there in 2007. Not sure there would be a great chance of playing though. Where is Riley Dodge going?

Swarm 51
01-05-2007, 01:03 AM
Randy is an all-round athlete. Is outstanding in basketball and a very good baseball player. Read in the Waco paper where he is averaging 20 points or more in the Rocket basketball games. He has God-given talent, some of which can't be coached. It is just there.

Gsquared
01-05-2007, 07:31 AM

Kitchens is a stud for sure but, I dont think he will get any D1 offers. Not quite the D1 QB , doest have the size for LB. Doesnt quite have the speed to put him in the slot on O, safety or CB on D.

txkmom
01-05-2007, 10:04 AM
Randy Kitchens is a fantastic, do-it-all quarterback. But, as we learned last year, the qb camps have become the place to be seen. Mine only went to one, I think, and it was after pitching a full game the night before, so he was not at the top of his football game. They post all your stats and rank you based on performances at these camps/clinics. Plus, this year it seems like there are a lot of multi-talented hs qb's out there, which makes it harder for many to stand out. It's a shame.

pirate4state
01-05-2007, 10:10 AM
I thought I read somewhere that he wanted to play baseball at the next level, not football. :confused:

He was very impressive against Ingleside.

Adidas410s
01-05-2007, 10:17 AM
I was kind of thinking that (UNT). I'd like to see UNT do well since my oldest will go there in 2007. Not sure there would be a great chance of playing though. Where is Riley Dodge going?

Riley is just a junior so he can't be "officially" recruited yet. One would think that he'll go to UNT with dad since he's only about 6' tall and other schools might pass on that height. Then again...we did just see Kinne Jr skip out on daddy @ Baylor to head for greener pastures.

redfish961
01-05-2007, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by Swarm 51
He has God-given talent, some of which can't be coached. It is just there.

This is what separates him from most. Unfortunately combines and camps have no way to evaluate heart and instinct.

The main reason I posed my question is that I've seen quite a few D-1 commits play this year and I honestly haven't seen anyone be able to control a game with his play like Kitchens.

He might not run as fast, jump as high, or throw as far, but he does make things happen pretty consistently.

g$$
01-05-2007, 03:23 PM
This is what separates him from most. Unfortunately combines and camps have no way to evaluate heart and instinct.

The main reason I posed my question is that I've seen quite a few D-1 commits play this year and I honestly haven't seen anyone be able to control a game with his play like Kitchens.

He might not run as fast, jump as high, or throw as far, but he does make things happen pretty consistently.

You make some great points, & I have said previously that I think Kitchens is a D1 kid. But unfortunately, combines & camps have become necessary to get on the "lists" & if you don't attend at least some then you are fighting an uphill battle.

Very similar to kids playing select baseball, AAU basketball, or club volleyball - it is a must to be seen & go big-time in today's climate. Not always fair, but it is what it is. In fact, it actually levels the playing field for kids from all classes getting seen.

big daddy russ
01-05-2007, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Riley is just a junior so he can't be "officially" recruited yet. One would think that he'll go to UNT with dad since he's only about 6' tall and other schools might pass on that height. Then again...we did just see Kinne Jr skip out on daddy @ Baylor to head for greener pastures.
That's an interesting thought. I know height can scare away a lot of schools, but look at what guys like Drew Tate and Chris Leak have done.

Just looked him up on Scout.com. They have him listed at 5-11, 180, but say that a couple of ACC teams plus OU and TCU are looking at him. He still has a year or two to grow, so I wonder what will happen between now and then.

And I really think Kitchens has a D1 arm. He can put it right where it needs to be 50 yards downfield and has better touch on his throws than many college QB's. Don't get me wrong, he can throw it on a rope when needed, but I see no reason he couldn't start for a mid-major team (UH, TCU, etc). Also, he's faster (4.6 forty) than Emmitt Smith or Anquan Boldin and he has enough shiftiness to keep defenses honest with his feet. Should be a good pickup for someone.

g$$, what are your thoughts on him and have you heard anything from anyone? You're probably more closely tied in with the college ranks than anyone else on the board.

g$$
01-05-2007, 04:11 PM
That's an interesting thought. I know height can scare away a lot of schools, but look at what guys like Drew Tate and Chris Leak have done.

Just looked him up on Scout.com. They have him listed at 5-11, 180, but say that a couple of ACC teams plus OU and TCU are looking at him. He still has a year or two to grow, so I wonder what will happen between now and then.

And I really think Kitchens has a D1 arm. He can put it right where it needs to be 50 yards downfield and has better touch on his throws than many college QB's. Don't get me wrong, he can throw it on a rope when needed, but I see no reason he couldn't start for a mid-major team (UH, TCU, etc). Also, he's faster (4.6 forty) than Emmitt Smith or Anquan Boldin and he has enough shiftiness to keep defenses honest with his feet. Should be a good pickup for someone.

g$$, what are your thoughts on him and have you heard anything from anyone? You're probably more closely tied in with the college ranks than anyone else on the board.

I agree with everything you said. I like him a lot. The problem is Kitchens came on the scene late so to speak, & very few schools knew much about him. He did not do the summer camps circuit like most top kids & is fighting an uphill battle. I spoke to A&M's Les Koenning twice recently about a couple of kids (one being the Sweeny kid Carder, who only attended a couple of camps himself) & Les told me after summer camps they knew exactly who they planned to offer. It has become a feeding frenzy at camps & combines. You flat have to do it in today's climate.

That does not mean it cannot happen. But, after the dead period ends next week I would bet Kitchens will be contacted. Jan. 13th is the next Official Visit date for schools. Kitchens can play at a mid major school, or he he can go juco & hope to improve his stock that way. TCU is a program to watch: Top 25 in football & baseball & moving up. TCU just might get a Brazoria County boy too by the way! It would not hurt to send a profile to some coaches/schools & have the Waco Robinson HC work the phones too. Time is of the essence, so get on it now. Signing Day is Feb. 7th.

As for Dodge, he will play D1, & he is only a junior. Maybe for his dad as a QB, but most definitely for most major schools at another position. I could see him at Tech playing slot receiver a la Wes Welker. You can't teach speed, & Riley is legit sub 4.4 in the 40. He will play somewhere based on his athleticism & his name doesn't hurt either. Kid's a winner. His grandfather Ebbie Neptune (Sweeny boy) has lots of ties & contacts too from his Westlake days as well. I would not worry about Riley Dodge!

texasjeremy
01-05-2007, 04:25 PM
Reminds me a lot of Stephen McGee. Not the greatest arm, but can run and is tough.

g$$
01-05-2007, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by texasjeremy
Reminds me a lot of Stephen McGee. Not the greatest arm, but can run and is tough.

Funny you say that: coming out of hs, McGee was regarded as a true drop-back passer who threw for over 8,000 yds. at Burnet. A&M' scheme has relegated him to now being a tough, option QB. I also think his shoulder is hurting too. His final 5 in recruiting were A&M, Georgia, Tennessee, USC, & Texas. No one questioned his arm then. You do the math...

carter08
01-05-2007, 04:31 PM
TCU is a program to watch: Top 25 in football & baseball & moving up. TCU just might get a Brazoria County boy too by the way!

Who exactly?

g$$
01-05-2007, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by carter08
Who exactly?

Well, you do the math. The 24-3A MVP is set to visit Jan. 13th & really likes TCU. TCU is a solid Top 25 program who has won 11 games 4/5 years currently. He has other offers on the table too so we'll see what happens. TCU did see 3 playoff games though & they really like him, have been to the house, etc. Like I said though, there are others in the mix too. His stock really rose throughout the season & he was named All-Greater Houston 2nd Team, etc. TCU loves to take "Athletes" & find a spot for them. This kid would certainly qualify as an athlete, don't you think?

That's all I can say, but very happy for the kid & his family. He deserves it. He will be an asset to any program down the line.

Adidas410s
01-05-2007, 04:42 PM

to talk about undersized QB's...look no further than Jordan Neal. He was the 1st Team All State QB in 5A his senior at Abilene Cooper HS. He led the state in passing yardage with a completion % over 70%. How many scholarship offers did he receive from Division 1 schools??? 0...he received 2 offers from D2 schools (Midwestern and ACU) and ended up going to Hardin-Simmons University instead. Why didn't a D1 school look arguably the best QB in the state in 2000??? He was 5'10"

carter08
01-05-2007, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Well, you do the math. The 24-3A MVP is set to visit Jan. 13th & really likes TCU. TCU is a solid Top 25 program who has won 11 games 4/5 years currently. He has other offers on the table too so we'll see what happens. TCU did see 3 playoff games though & they really like him, have been to the house, etc. Like I said though, there are others in the mix too. His stock really rose throughout the season & he was named All-Greater Houston 2nd Team, etc. TCU loves to take "Athletes" & find a spot for them. This kid would certainly qualify as an athlete, don't you think?

That's all I can say, but very happy for the kid & his family. He deserves it. He will be an asset to any program down the line.

TCU is an exellent program. He would fit in well there. It would be nice to have 2 excellent players go D1 from the West Brazos area in the year

Adidas410s
01-05-2007, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Funny you say that: coming out of hs, McGee was regarded as a true drop-back passer who threw for over 8,000 yds. at Burnet. A&M' scheme has relegated him to now being a tough, option QB. I also think his shoulder is hurting too. His final 5 in recruiting were A&M, Georgia, Tennessee, USC, & Texas. No one questioned his arm then. You do the math...
McGee certainly had the arm in HS but Fran's system and McGee's tough running has gone a long way to killing that shoulder. :(

g$$
01-05-2007, 04:49 PM
TCU is an exellent program. He would fit in well there. It would be nice to have 2 excellent players go D1 from the West Brazos area in the year

Oh, he will go D1, the only question is where. Flannel to Tech, then ... to ...! You are right, it is good for the Area to have 2 go big-time. Shelton from Wharton can play too. Be fun to watch them grow & develop at the next level.

With respect for the family, let's keep this on the dl for now, ok?

g$$
01-05-2007, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
McGee certainly had the arm in HS but Fran's system and McGee's tough running has gone a long way to killing that shoulder. :(

Agreed 100%

carter08
01-05-2007, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Oh, he will go D1, the only question is where. Flannel to Tech, then ... to ...! You are right, it is good for the Area to have 2 go big-time. Shelton from Wharton can play too. Be fun to watch them grow & develop at the next level.

With respect for the family, let's keep this on the dl for now, ok?

No problem.

There is a linebacker for Columbia who has the talent to play major college ball. I'm not sure where he will end up going. The Flannel news overshadowed everything I was hearing about him.

g$$
01-05-2007, 04:53 PM
No problem.

There is a linebacker for Columbia who has the talent to play major college ball. I'm not sure where he will end up going. The Flannel news overshadowed everything I was hearing about him.

Woodard right? Good player. He may have to go juco route 1st.

carter08
01-05-2007, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Woodard right? Good player. He may have to go juco route 1st.

Yes. He has tons of ability.