PDA

View Full Version : Bill Cower to retire from Pittsburgh

piratebg
01-04-2007, 08:20 PM
Report: Steelers coach Cowher to resign Friday

January 4, 2007
PITTSBURGH (TICKER) -- Bill Cowher, the NFL's longest current tenured coach, reportedly will retire from the Pittsburgh Steelers on Friday.

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, citing unidentified sources with knowledge of the situation, reported Thursday on its web site that Cowher is expected to announce his retirement Friday.

According to the report, Cowher was going to to wait until Monday to make his decision but did not want to delay the Steelers' search for his successor. The team has scheduled a news conference for 1 p.m. EST.

The Post-Gazette reported Cowher met with Steelers chairman Dan Rooney and president Art Rooney II in Raleigh, North Carolina on Tuesday.

It also was reported that Cowher has told friends and associates he wants to spend more time with his family. His oldest daughter plays college basketball for Princeton and he has two other daughters, both teenagers.

Cowher, 49, is less than a year removed from a long-awaited Super Bowl triumph that cemented his status as one of the NFL's top contemporary coaches. He has guided the Steelers since 1992 and has one year remaining on his contract.

Pittsburgh-born and bred and known for his intensity and scowl, Cowher became just the second coach to win a Super Bowl for the city of his birth, joining George Seifert of San Francisco.

But after guiding the Steelers to their fifth Super Bowl title in franchise history, Cowher was unable to get the team back to the playoffs this season.

Pittsburgh went 8-8 this campaign, becoming the first Super Bowl champion to fail to make the playoffs the next season since the 2002 Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Cowher came to Pittsburgh in 1992, succeeding Hall of Fame coach Chuck Noll, who went 4-0 in Super Bowls.

With the Steelers, Cowher compiled a 161-99-1 overall record, including 149-90-1 in the regular season. Only 10 coaches in NFL history have won 130 or more games with one team.

During Cowher's tenure, the Steelers made six trips to the AFC championship game, won eight division titles and garnered 10 playoff berths. He also took the Steelers to the Super Bowl in 1996, when they lost to Dallas.

Only three active coaches - Marty Schottenheimer, Bill Parcells and Joe Gibbs - have won more games than Cowher. Since the advent of the Super Bowl, only Bud Grant of the Minnesota Vikings spent more time (17 years) with the same team without winning a championship before Cowher accomplished the feat.

If Cowher does indeed leave, the Steelers will have just their third coach since 1969.

Always run like a family business under the Rooneys, the Steelers almost certainly will stay in-house to fill their coaching vacancy.

Offensive line coach Russ Grimm and offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt, both of whom are candidates around the league, also could be in line for the Pittsburgh job.

Updated on Thursday, Jan 4, 2007 7:57 pm EST

tigerpride_08
01-04-2007, 08:22 PM
great coach...:clap:

Bullaholic
01-04-2007, 08:25 PM
A real "player's" coach and a good man---he will be missed, but he is young enough to show up somewhere else before it's over---perhaps even in the college ranks.

tigerpride_08
01-04-2007, 08:26 PM
yea i think it's very possible for him to make a comeback...

Bull Butter
01-04-2007, 09:12 PM
Favorite Cowher moment----- Stuffing the picture in the referee's shirt pocket after a blown call.:D

neck_06
01-04-2007, 09:27 PM
great coach
great career

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

SintonFan
01-04-2007, 10:05 PM
Are you listening Cowboys?:D

charlesrixey
01-04-2007, 10:20 PM
why do they call it retire? i don't think he's done yet

mwynn05
01-04-2007, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by charlesrixey
why do they call it retire? i don't think he's done yet Well, because he is leaving because he wants to and isn't just taking another job and hes been there long enough

Jason1725
01-04-2007, 11:05 PM
It has been reported that Cowher has told close friends that he wants to spend time with his family. That's repectable and I hope thats why he is leaving. However if it's because of money, and this means this is how he repays the Rooney's after they have been so loyal. I say if thats true I lose a lot of respect for the guy. How many other teams would have stuck by him during the whole Kordell fiasco? How many would have waited 14-years for a Super Bowl when he has had all of these great teams that always choked at home in the Championship games? Not many thats for sure.

kaorder1999
01-04-2007, 11:54 PM
its been reported for weeks that he might take a one year break away from football. Who knows!

AggieJohn
01-04-2007, 11:59 PM
shocking....indeed, he'll sit out a year and then coach another 3-4 at a very premium price

bandera7
01-05-2007, 12:05 AM
I dont know. Cowher doesnt seem like that type to me. I think he really is done.

mwynn05
01-05-2007, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by Jason1725
It has been reported that Cowher has told close friends that he wants to spend time with his family. That's repectable and I hope thats why he is leaving. However if it's because of money, and this means this is how he repays the Rooney's after they have been so loyal. I say if thats true I lose a lot of respect for the guy. How many other teams would have stuck by him during the whole Kordell fiasco? How many would have waited 14-years for a Super Bowl when he has had all of these great teams that always choked at home in the Championship games? Not many thats for sure. His daughter plays fro Princeton i think and they showed her on tv once and if i remember correctly shes pretty hot

bandera7
01-05-2007, 12:19 AM
I dont understand how high profile guys can have so many good things happen to them. He is the coach of the Superbowl Champs, he makes a lot of money, and has a beautiful daughter. That is just messed up.

88bobcats
01-05-2007, 03:47 AM
Originally posted by SintonFan
Are you listening Cowboys?:D

Good riddance to "the Jaw".

Of course, I must admit that Parcells hasn't brought my 'boys to the big dance.

Maybe if Jerry Jones gives him 14 years to do it.....:thinking:

bobcat1
01-05-2007, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by 88bobcats
Good riddance to "the Jaw".

I'm sorry but I like Bill. I would have played for him. I think he is kind of like a blue collar worker. He is a player's coach. Yea he looks like Popeye but he's a good coach.