PDA

View Full Version : Mark Loretta to sign with Astros

Maroon87
01-04-2007, 02:04 PM
Agent says 2B Loretta will sign with Astros
By Amy K. Nelson
ESPN The Magazine

Mark Loretta will sign with the Houston Astros on Thursday, his agent said.

The agreed-to deal is for one year at $2.5 million, but could be worth as much as $3.5 million with incentives, said Loretta's agent, Bob Garber.

The free-agent second baseman had multiple offers, including ones from the Texas Rangers and Cincinnati Reds. While the Rangers offered more money, Garber said Houston was a better opportunity.

Craig Biggio has long been entrenched as the starting second baseman for the Astros. But Garber said Loretta, who has also played first, third and shortstop during his career, will play "all over the infield" for Houston.

"We wanted to wait until the second-base market got better. The market is great for everyone but second basemen," Garber said.

Loretta, a 12-year veteran, played for the Boston Red Sox last season, hitting .285 in 155 games. He has previously played for the Brewers, Astros and Padres and has a career .299 average and .987 career fielding percentage.

AggieJohn
01-04-2007, 02:07 PM
a good addition but not that solid pitcher we need

BTEXDAD
01-04-2007, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
a good addition but not that solid pitcher we need

Still going to leave Burke in Cf, you think? or will he now be trade bait?

Burke would be playing a lot of second also

g$$
01-04-2007, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by BTEXDAD
Still going to leave Burke in Cf, you think? or will he now be trade bait?

Burke would be playing a lot of second also

Burke is the CF this year, & this signing to me means he will play very little 2B this season. I think they want him to play CF & concentrate on that. Now in the future, Burke is the heir apparent at 2B.

I have always liked Loretta. You know he played for us before in a playoff push (either 2002 or 2003?) & in 21 games hit over .400, plus he can play 2B, SS in a pinch, 3B, & even some 1B. He will need plenty of different gloves this year! I like the signing a lot. Professional hitter & solid pro all the way. He played for Garner in Milwaukee years ago too.

Still need starting pitching though big-time & ASAP...

tigerpride_08
01-04-2007, 05:33 PM
i'm mad they let go of Willy T...:mad:

g$$
01-04-2007, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by tigerpride_08
i'm mad they let go of Willy T...:mad:

Defensively yes, but Burke will supply much more offense that Taveras. Jason Jennings will help but the Astros need more starting pitching ASAP.