PDA

View Full Version : January 4, 2006 One Year Ago today

Phil C
01-04-2007, 01:55 PM
We beat USC for the National Championship! Happy Aniversary Horns!

neck_06
01-04-2007, 01:58 PM
i was wondering if anyone was going to post this.....

AggieJohn
01-04-2007, 02:11 PM
and a little over a month ago you lost to K-state and A&M......what you considered to be the "easy" part of your schedule

Phil C
01-04-2007, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
and a little over a month ago you lost to K-state and A&M......what you considered to be the "easy" part of your schedule

Hey AJ How did you all do against California? :)

Adidas410s
01-04-2007, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Hey AJ How did you all do against California? :) whoa now Phil...keep the gloves up!!! :mad:

Oh and by the way it was Cal 45 Ags 10 ;)

Maroon87
01-04-2007, 02:24 PM
How long until the lock comes out on this bad boy?:thinking:

AggieJohn
01-04-2007, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
whoa now Phil...keep the gloves up!!! :mad:

Oh and by the way it was Cal 45 Ags 10 ;) it was 44-10 and we all know that El Franchione chokes in bowl games....this isn't a new development, see Cotton bowl 2004

Fal44
01-04-2007, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
We beat USC for the National Championship! Happy Aniversary Horns!

Back to topic, that has to be the greatest game I have ever watched...

tigerpride_08
01-04-2007, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Fal44
Back to topic, that has to be the greatest game I have ever watched...

more like....ever played...;)

carter08
01-04-2007, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by tigerpride_08
more like....ever played...;)

:eek: :eek: :eek:

tigerpride_08
01-04-2007, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by carter08
:eek: :eek: :eek:

well that's my feeling of it...:)

ASUFrisbeeStud
01-04-2007, 05:39 PM
Guys lets not college bash for it is against the rules, besides it's so easy to bash A&M it's not even worth it anymore.

Hook 'Em.

Greatest Game Ever

Our parents remember where they were when Kennedy was shot, we'll always remember where we were when UT beat USC.

JHS_c/o_06'
01-04-2007, 05:50 PM
it was 44-10 and we all know that El Franchione chokes in bowl games....this isn't a new development, see Cotton bowl 2004

Dont blame it on Franchione.......between the day after thanksgiving and the day before the game against Cal you guys claimed him as your savior.

But back on topic.......me and a couple of people are gonna get together and watch the DVD...lol...relive the experience....no matter how many times i watch it....i still get nervous during those last 5 min.

Funk-d-fied
01-04-2007, 05:56 PM
Yes it was a great game.... That year ut had to of had the best quarterback sneak offense in the nation.... no the world! Awesome game, even though there was some questionable calls.... Great win though!

AggieJohn
01-04-2007, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by tigerpride_08
more like....ever played...;) see boise st. vs. OU 2007

BreckTxLonghorn
01-04-2007, 06:47 PM
see boise st. vs. OU 2007

The one glaring problem that may not make it the best game ever played (IMO): It wasn't for the national championship. Simple as that. I've argued with myself for the past few days on whether it was or not, and that's the only reason I wouldn't give it to that game. Both games were amazing in their own right, two unique situations where I hadn't seen anything like that, but USC/UT was worth more than pride or respect. It was for all the marbles. That's why it's no.1 to me.

rcbulldog34
01-04-2007, 06:48 PM
Aggiejohn when was the last time aTm played for a NC?

Hook'em

wedo
01-04-2007, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by rcbulldog34

Hook'em

g$$
01-04-2007, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by JHS_c/o_06'
Dont blame it on Franchione.......between the day after thanksgiving and the day before the game against Cal you guys claimed him as your savior.

Not by this guy - Fran has never been praised by me. And with next year's road schedule (Miami, Mizzou, Tech, OU, & Nebraska), I think it will be his final season. He is still 25-23 overall with 2 wins against the Big 4 in the Big 12. 2 blow-out bowl losses too. Enough said.

g$$
01-04-2007, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by rcbulldog34

Hook'em

Too long - but 1939 National Champions to be fair for A&M. TCU won 2 titles in the 1930s as well.

bandera7
01-04-2007, 07:02 PM
OSU/Nebraska 1971 was the number one game of all time

JJ7997
01-04-2007, 07:11 PM
Texas fans are entitled to call it the greatest game ever. Its part of their rights. Just like I have the right to be an Aggie til I die and choose not to drag others and their teams thru the mud, or tear others down to build myself up. No more negative posts for me.

Phil C
01-05-2007, 12:18 PM
Have they come up with the Aggies' official schedule for next year?

Phil C
01-05-2007, 12:20 PM
Early last night I had to go to the grocery store with my son. As we drove I noticed the moon was full in the west and was colored orange. Most appropriate on this night I thought. We got through at the HEB and headed west to home. I looked at the sky and noticed the moon was higher and the sky and had changed to a white color. I smiled as we continued our drive home.

TheDOCTORdre
01-05-2007, 02:45 PM
see boise st. vs. OU 2007
I saw it it was a good one, not the greatest, people have short memorie spans, and go with whats hot at the moment, you want a game you gotta consider wahts at state and I am a UT homer so I will have bias to that NC game from a year ago, but let us not forget the 02 NC game i believe between Miami and tOSU that was a great game

88bobcats
01-05-2007, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by Funk-d-fied
Yes it was a great game.... That year ut had to of had the best quarterback sneak offense in the nation.... no the world! Awesome game, even though there was some questionable calls.... Great win though!

I agree about the "questionable calls". Pete Carroll won the game for t.u. by not playing for field position and punting.:doh:

Pete Carroll was t.u's. MVP for the game.

Maroon87
01-05-2007, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by 88bobcats
I agree about the "questionable calls". Pete Carroll won the game for t.u. by not playing for field position and punting.:doh:

Pete Carroll was t.u's. MVP for the game.

t.u.? I didn't know Tulane played in the Rose Bowl last year?!?:p

At first I thought Carroll was crazy for going for it, but to hear him explain it later I understood where he was coming from. Neither defense had stopped the opposing offense at all in the second half. He knew if he gave the Horns the ball back they would more than likely score. He felt his only choice was to keep the football so he had to go for it on 4th down. The Texas defense needed one stop and they got it.

TheDOCTORdre
01-05-2007, 03:20 PM
hind sight is always 20/20 if carroll punts it away and UT drives down the field and wins the game (which they would have done, we all know that, and VY would have ened up with better numbers for the game) then people would be saying that he should have went for it on 4th down

pirate4state
01-05-2007, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
I saw it it was a good one, not the greatest, people have short memorie spans, and go with whats hot at the moment, you want a game you gotta consider wahts at state and I am a UT homer so I will have bias to that NC game from a year ago, but let us not forget the 02 NC game i believe between Miami and tOSU that was a great game So true, I had already forgotten about that 02 game!!! :clap: Good call!!! :thumbsup: That was a great game!!! :thumbsup: Wasn't there a controversial pass interference call or was it a "no call".... :thinking: :thinking:

TheDOCTORdre
01-05-2007, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Wasn't there a controversial pass interference call or was it a "no call".... :thinking: :thinking:
depends on who you were going for:D

pirate4state
01-05-2007, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
depends on who you were going for:D

I didn't care who won that game, but I guess you're right. :D

LitanyofFury
01-05-2007, 03:36 PM
I think December 31, 2006 was a more important date. Texas beat Iowa in the Alamo Bowl and secured it's 6th season in a row of 10 victories or more. No team has won more football games in the past decade than Texas. Dominance and staying power.

Phil C
01-05-2007, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Too long - but 1939 National Champions to be fair for A&M. TCU won 2 titles in the 1930s as well.

And SMU won one in 1935 according to some of the polls.

Phil C
01-05-2007, 03:49 PM
At the time and even years later many people call the last game of 1969 between UT and Arkansas the greatest game ever. Not just because it was for the MNC and an exciting game but other circumstances. It was the last game of the end of the first 100 years of football. The president showed up which added much to the excitement. You would have had to have been alive then and old enough to understand what was going on to understand the excitement in the air.

I was there. Still I think that the UT vs USC was more exciting.
But there have been a lot of great games and usually as has been pointed out already it is the what have you done lately that determines a lot of people's favorites.

charlesrixey
01-05-2007, 09:12 PM
what a bittersweet day

i awoke at 3:00am in iraq to watch my beloved longhorns play the game of their lives. the best game i have ever witnessed. I remember feeling light-headed in the fourth quarter, as the game was on the line-that's how great it was.

later that day, my wife returned from texas after having our daughter katherine to find our apartment had been damaged in a storm and no one had come to check it out during the 4-month stretch she was in texas. mold had destroyed everything we owned.

immediately after, she received a call from my dad that my grandfather had finally succumbed to prostate cancer. my grandfather was a ww2 vet, fought on okinawa, and was the main motivation for me joining the marine corps after war broke out in iraq (he has always been the greatest man i have ever known).

I received all of this news at once in a red cross message; needless to say it was one of the hardest days of my tour (the hardest being the birth of my daughter).

It all kind of put into perspective how unimportant football was (although it was a great comfort during the deployment for many of us to get together in the middle of the night and watch our favorite NFL teams play--even though our signal was often interrupted by mortar fire--they like to bomb at night).

We were lucky to have a great number of people back home donate a lot of furniture, baby clothes and money, and my unit took good care of my family. Now that we live in on-base housing, we don't have to worry about any situations like that happening again. But i will never forget feeling so good and so bad in the same day.

As i prepare to return to Iraq again over next fall/winter, one of my greatest time-passers will be following my favorite sports teams through their seasons. But i will never forget what i am really fighting for

That's my January 4th, 2006.

Go Longhorns

Maroon87
01-05-2007, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by charlesrixey
what a bittersweet day

i awoke at 3:00am in iraq to watch my beloved longhorns play the game of their lives. the best game i have ever witnessed. I remember feeling light-headed in the fourth quarter, as the game was on the line-that's how great it was.

later that day, my wife returned from texas after having our daughter katherine to find our apartment had been damaged in a storm and no one had come to check it out during the 4-month stretch she was in texas. mold had destroyed everything we owned.

immediately after, she received a call from my dad that my grandfather had finally succumbed to prostate cancer. my grandfather was a ww2 vet, fought on okinawa, and was the main motivation for me joining the marine corps after war broke out in iraq (he has always been the greatest man i have ever known).

I received all of this news at once in a red cross message; needless to say it was one of the hardest days of my tour (the hardest being the birth of my daughter).

It all kind of put into perspective how unimportant football was (although it was a great comfort during the deployment for many of us to get together in the middle of the night and watch our favorite NFL teams play--even though our signal was often interrupted by mortar fire--they like to bomb at night).

We were lucky to have a great number of people back home donate a lot of furniture, baby clothes and money, and my unit took good care of my family. Now that we live in on-base housing, we don't have to worry about any situations like that happening again. But i will never forget feeling so good and so bad in the same day.

As i prepare to return to Iraq again over next fall/winter, one of my greatest time-passers will be following my favorite sports teams through their seasons. But i will never forget what i am really fighting for

That's my January 4th, 2006.

Go Longhorns

Reminds me of June 25, 1999.

My beloved Spurs won thier first NBA title that night, beating the NY Knicks at MSG in Game 5.

That morning, my mother was buried after succumbing to lung cancer two days earlier.

Quite the odd mix of emotions.:(

God Bless you rixey...we're behind you!

charlesrixey
01-05-2007, 09:47 PM
thank you maroon!

although i have to tell you, i am a mavs fan and they have pulled within 5!

hope my next deployment is a bit quieter, especially since i will be a civilian soon after we get back

it was so great to be able to sit in the stands in Celina again, even if only for one game!

charlesrixey
01-05-2007, 11:33 PM
topup