PDA

View Full Version : Don Shula just blasted Nick Saban

District303aPastPlayer
01-04-2007, 12:00 PM
and said some things that just made my jaw drop...

"I don't intend to speak with him, so i don't really want to pick at what i would say to him"

"He ran away from a challenge with the Dolphins"

"He had a good thing going for him and said he loved college football, and ran away from LSU to the NFL..."

Don Shula has a new level of my respect...

Adidas410s
01-04-2007, 12:03 PM
he went off on him on Mike & Mike early this morning...

kaorder1999
01-04-2007, 12:06 PM
what does Don Shula do for the organization....is he still involved?

District303aPastPlayer
01-04-2007, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999

Special Consultant i believe...

Bullaholic
01-04-2007, 12:18 PM
Every contract in the NFL should be 1 year--period, no exceptions--- players and coaches alike. That would put an end to all this ridiculous multi-year option junk that nobody honors anyway and spare us all the drama everytime somebody changes "horses".

kaorder1999
01-04-2007, 12:19 PM
maybe I'm just an idiot here but what the big deal with Saban going back to college?

CenTexSports
01-04-2007, 12:20 PM
I think Don is on the Board of Directors or something similar. But lest we forget, Saben is taking Don's son's job.

I heard him on Mike and Miike this morning and he wasn't overly critical of Saben but he told it like it is. I think Shula has always been a straight shooter. He is one of the last great coaches from my youth.

Not necessarily all good men but great coaches:

Bryant, Schemblecher (sp), Landry, Shula, Royal, Broyles, Stram

BILLYFRED0000
01-04-2007, 12:22 PM
I think Shula should just retire from Coaching. Oh wait he did?
Gee wonder what Saban thinks of that? :eek:

kaorder1999
01-04-2007, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by CenTexSports
But lest we forget, Saben is taking Don's son's job.

great point!

Adidas410s
01-04-2007, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Every contract in the NFL should be 1 year--period, no exceptions--- players and coaches alike. That would put an end to all this ridiculous multi-year option junk that nobody honors anyway and spare us all the drama everytime somebody changes "horses".

and no player or coach would ever sign that contact either! :(

Bullaholic
01-04-2007, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
and no player or coach would ever sign that contact either! :(

Yeah they would if that was the only kind of contract offered.

AggieJohn
01-04-2007, 02:10 PM
Shula just wants his name in the media

JJ7997
01-04-2007, 07:05 PM
Its not Shulas' sons job anymore, so whats the big deal ? He should have won more if he wanted to keep his job. The old mans oppinion doesnt mean anything anyway. Why dont he coach the fins again ?

Snydertigersrul
01-04-2007, 07:22 PM

My memory is that great sometimes, but I believe he was forced out by the owner.

CenTexSports
01-04-2007, 07:28 PM
Maybe they will hire Mike Shula to replace Saben.

big daddy russ
01-04-2007, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by JJ7997
Its not Shulas' sons job anymore, so whats the big deal ? He should have won more if he wanted to keep his job. The old mans oppinion doesnt mean anything anyway. Why dont he coach the fins again ?
LOL.

Hupernikomen
01-04-2007, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
Shula just wants his name in the media

Why would a coach of Shula's stature care about having his name in the media? Is he hoping to get a job? I am sure he could have the Miami job back if he really wanted it.

Shula has a deep concern for the Dolphins and is mad that Saban bolted to go back to the NCAA and not staying at Miami to try and right the ship.

Personally, I think Saban made the right move.

$cooter!
01-05-2007, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
Special Consultant i believe... (Don Shula) He needs a freaking special consultant to tell him he needs to get his Bob Barker looking [bleep] a clue. All Saban has done is make the best decision for him and his family. God forbid him from making a decision for him and his family. He's an opportunist. I would have done the same thing. The Dolphins were stupid anyways for giving him all the power and all that money when they knew they had a drug fiend on a average squad plus the owner knew before hiring him that he still loved the college game. Its not like they were gonna make the playoffs anytime soon also, they play in the AFC East not the NFC East. I'm happy for the guy and he will win at Alabama, probably not a Title this decade, but in the next i expect one. Shula's real problem is that his son is a Shula reject, meaning he can't coach like his father when the talent is right there, mind you its not the Alabama of the olden days, but its enough around to win at least 9 games a year unless you get lucky. Plus add the fact that it was Saban who took over, ha!, i guess that really got under his diaper a lil bit. :eek:

If in fact he's a special consultant and has a say in certain major things and think he knows it all---tell him to go recruit a coach. I mean you won 2 super bowls and been to six he must be some kinda freaking genious, god's gift to coaching in my opinion. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

88bobcats
01-05-2007, 03:06 AM
maybe I'm just an idiot here but what the big deal with Saban going back to college? :thinking:

Originally posted by $cooter!
(Don Shula) He needs a freaking special consultant to tell him he needs to get his Bob Barker looking [bleep] a clue. All Saban has done is make the best decision for him and his family. God forbid him from making a decision for him and his family. :confused:

I don't think anyone would give Saban such a hard time if he hadn't vehemently denied that he was going to Alabama so many times, and then turned around and announced he was going to Alabama.

I agree with $cooter!, he obviously made the best decision for himself and his family; but, even when you do what's best for yourself and your family, you should do it forthrightly and honestly. Saban should've grown a pair (or backbone) and said "No comment!" or "Buzz Off!" when he was questioned about the move. Instead, he LIED!

"Lie Tide!" Uh, I mean, "Roll Tide!"