PDA

View Full Version : IMHO (for all you whiners out there...THIS IS A SPORTS RELATED THREAD)

neck_06
01-04-2007, 12:04 AM
Notre Dame is over-rated, has always been over-rated (since i was born), and will always be over-rated!!!

they have played 3 high ranked teams this year and they have been trounced by all of them. (USC, Michigan, LSU)

i would have much rather seen one loss Wisconsin (or anyone other than Notre Dame) play LSU tonight.

bulldogman06
01-04-2007, 12:06 AM
hmmm, maybe this year they are overrated, but they have always been? Knute Rockne is rollin in his grave. as are the four horseman. ND used to be the most dominant team, period. they are not anymore, but they have not ALWAYS been overrated

neck_06
01-04-2007, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by bulldogman06
hmmm, maybe this year they are overrated, but they have always been? Knute Rockne is rollin in his grave. as are the four horseman. ND used to be the most dominant team, period. they are not anymore, but they have not ALWAYS been overrated

sorry, when i say always i mean since i have been on this earth......i'll change it.

bulldogman06
01-04-2007, 12:13 AM
hahaha, its cool, just tryin to find the little bit of good in the whole lot of bad

JR2004
01-04-2007, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by neck_06
sorry, when i say always i mean since i have been on this earth......i'll change it.

Wrong again! When you were still a baby they won a national title during the 1988 season when QB Tony Rice led them past Don Nehlen's Mountaineers who were led by a darn good QB by the name of Major Harris. The following season they were a win against Miami away from having a shot at back-to-back national titles before losing down in Miami 27-10 to end their winning streak.

In 1993 they were again a win away from playing for the national title before losing on a last second field goal to Boston College after rallying from 22 down to take a one point lead late the 4th. They won the Catholics vs. Convicts game that year against FSU, but couldn't win the Catholic Bowl match-up that would've given them another shot at a national title. They had some great talent that year with Aaron Taylor, Ray Zellars, Lake Dawson, Lee Becton, Bryant Young and Bobby Taylor among others. Notre Dame didn't begin to go downhill until 1994. They are just now beginning to recover from a decade of mostly mediocre football.

Phil C
01-04-2007, 09:33 AM
JR I admire the Catholic Church.

GOFOR2
01-04-2007, 11:29 AM
i am sick and tired of Notre Dame getting a free pass because they are an independent. They belong in the Motor City Bowl.

neck_06
01-04-2007, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
Wrong again! When you were still a baby they won a national title during the 1988 season when QB Tony Rice led them past Don Nehlen's Mountaineers who were led by a darn good QB by the name of Major Harris. The following season they were a win against Miami away from having a shot at back-to-back national titles before losing down in Miami 27-10 to end their winning streak.

In 1993 they were again a win away from playing for the national title before losing on a last second field goal to Boston College after rallying from 22 down to take a one point lead late the 4th. They won the Catholics vs. Convicts game that year against FSU, but couldn't win the Catholic Bowl match-up that would've given them another shot at a national title. They had some great talent that year with Aaron Taylor, Ray Zellars, Lake Dawson, Lee Becton, Bryant Young and Bobby Taylor among others. Notre Dame didn't begin to go downhill until 1994. They are just now beginning to recover from a decade of mostly mediocre football.

WOW! you really did some research to prove me wrong on this one. it makes me feel good that someone would go to ALL that trouble just to prove little me wrong.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

NDFootball
01-04-2007, 01:34 PM
???????????????

No they haven't always been overrated and they are on the way back up...just watch and see. It takes awhile to get out all the rot from Ty Willingham's and Bob Davie's mediocre recruiting classes. The Irish made it in the Sugar Bowl because the clause in the BCS states there can only be two teams from each conference that go to the big games, so sorry Wisconsin. Before long everybody is going to be eating the crud they are talking right now, or better yet they'll disappear and say they've been watching ND work its way back up all along and how they've known all this time it was going to happen. Try doing some research before you start posting remarks like that, it'll help you out.

neck_06
01-04-2007, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by NDFootball
???????????????

No they haven't always been overrated and they are on the way back up...just watch and see. It takes awhile to get out all the rot from Ty Willingham's and Bob Davie's mediocre recruiting classes. The Irish made it in the Sugar Bowl because the clause in the BCS states there can only be two teams from each conference that go to the big games, so sorry Wisconsin. Before long everybody is going to be eating the crud they are talking right now, or better yet they'll disappear and say they've been watching ND work its way back up all along and how they've known all this time it was going to happen. Try doing some research before you start posting remarks like that, it'll help you out.

the fact of the matter is that if Notre Dame ever finishes in the top 10 in the BCS they are going to get a BCS game because of who they are. thats why they were able to get in this year with a 2 loss record.

i also think that the whole no more than two teams from a conference rule is dumb.........if there are more than two teams who are deserving, then they should get in. theyshouldn't be punished for being in a good conference.

BobcatBenny
01-04-2007, 01:45 PM
OK then, BYU or TCU should have been selected.

I prefer the Mormons or the Disciples of Christ over the Catholics. :D

neck_06
01-04-2007, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by BobcatBenny
OK then, BYU or TCU should have been selected.

I prefer the Mormons or the Disciples of Christ over the Catholics. :D

its not a Holy War, i'm a Catholic.

i just dont like the way that the BCS favors Notre Dame.

BobcatBenny
01-04-2007, 02:02 PM
its not a Holy War, i'm a Catholic.

i just dont like the way that the BCS favors Notre Dame.
And I just could not help myself. I wasn't really attacking the Catholic church. Just having some fun with the general trend of postings.

However, I would rather see any team from an actual denomination (conference) over the autonomous (Church of Christ) independents. Perhaps Pepperdine should start a foosball program? :confused:

BILLYFRED0000
01-04-2007, 02:09 PM
LEST anyone forget, they almost (and should have) stopped USC
last year in what everybody is still calling game of the ages and an instant classic. the only game better IMHO is Doug Flutie and
his hail mary and last years Rose Bowl followed closely by the band on the field game that Elway lost.

AggieJohn
01-04-2007, 02:17 PM
Notre Dame is over-rated and has been all year...their fan base consists of mediocre uniformed catholic sports fans who can't pick a team to follow or follow their own. Their in the national spotlight because they hope that they will regain national prominence. The TV stations cover them because they want to be the broadcast station that is tied to their emergence on the national scene.

Charlie Weis was an excellent hire, don't get me wrong, but he isn't the savior to that University. When Notre Dame can win the big games, they can then talk to me, until then they are no better than Baylor in my eyes.

NDFootball
01-04-2007, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
their fan base consists of mediocre uniformed catholic sports fans who can't pick a team to follow or follow their own.

When Notre Dame can win the big games, they can then talk to me, until then they are no better than Baylor in my eyes.

Last time I checked I wasn't Catholic...or mediocre. I mean you've met so many of the Irish fans you just know, or do you? I guess you'd know alot about stereotypes though you're an Aggie...lots of stereotypes about you. That kind of remark coming from an Aggie sure carries alot of weight :rolleyes:

But hey I wouldn't be talking too bad about Baylor the Aggies are about the same level as them...doormats of the Big XII that will never have a prayer of overtaking OU or UT at the top of the Big XII South :thinking:

NDFootball
01-04-2007, 03:19 PM
Sorry if I ruffle some feathers with that I'm just tired of mediocre college football fans acting like sheep and all they do is talk about how bad ND is just because they're poor little team didn't make it to the BCS.

JR2004
01-04-2007, 04:55 PM
WOW! you really did some research to prove me wrong on this one. it makes me feel good that someone would go to ALL that trouble just to prove little me wrong.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

That wasn't research. I grew up rooting for Notre Dame. That was just going off of memory kid.

carter08
01-04-2007, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by NDFootball

But hey I wouldn't be talking too bad about Baylor the Aggies are about the same level as them...doormats of the Big XII that will never have a prayer of overtaking OU or UT at the top of the Big XII South :thinking:

Didn't A&M beat Texas?

tigerpride_08
01-04-2007, 05:18 PM
i think Notre Dame was very overrated this year..maybe Jimmy Claussen will make them not so overrated though...:thinking:

g$$
01-04-2007, 06:39 PM
Notre Dame is over-rated, has always been over-rated (since i was born), and will always be over-rated!!!

they have played 3 high ranked teams this year and they have been trounced by all of them. (USC, Michigan, LSU)

i would have much rather seen one loss Wisconsin (or anyone other than Notre Dame) play LSU tonight.

Agreed. I saw ND's last bowl wins in person in 1993 & 1994 over A&M in the Cotton Bowl. They are living off name & hype.

Rutgers or Louisville or WVU deserved to be in this game (or Wisconsin) way more than Notre Dame. ND lacks the athletes right now of the elite schools.

bandera7
01-04-2007, 07:08 PM
Aggie John, I am completely disgusted with you. I used to respect you. The fact that you say Notre Dame fans are only fans because they cant pick a team...that is absolutely ridiculous. That generalization was the stupidest thing I have ever heard. Also, I am a huge Notre Dame fan, because both of my grandfathers went there. And my great grandfather played on the team with the four horsemen. And I also like Notre Dame because they refuse to lower their admittance standards, unlike the rest of college football. They are successful without bowing down to kids that cant pass Algebra 1, but are good athletes. They only accept student athletes. STUDENT athletes. Student comes first. Your stereotyping is quite ridiculous, and I would appreciate if you would keep your mouth shut about Catholics from now on.

Emerson1
01-04-2007, 07:10 PM
I wonder if ESPN will bump Notre Dame Football from #7 to top 5 on their list for "Most Overrated"

g$$
01-04-2007, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by bandera7
Aggie John, I am completely disgusted with you. I used to respect you. The fact that you say Notre Dame fans are only fans because they cant pick a team...that is absolutely ridiculous. That generalization was the stupidest thing I have ever heard. Also, I am a huge Notre Dame fan, because both of my grandfathers went there. And my great grandfather played on the team with the four horsemen. And I also like Notre Dame because they refuse to lower their admittance standards, unlike the rest of college football. They are successful without bowing down to kids that cant pass Algebra 1, but are good athletes. They only accept student athletes. STUDENT athletes. Student comes first. Your stereotyping is quite ridiculous, and I would appreciate if you would keep your mouth shut about Catholics from now on.

The admission requirements were lowered under Lou Holtz (Tony Rice & others), & that is one reason he left when the new President/Father changed them back. ND's are slightly higher but not by much anymore. ND does not redshirt kids by their own university rule. Bottom line is ND is just not getting as many elite kids anymore (some yes, but not bunches of them). ND lacks athletes & speed.

But, let's be careful annointing their players (as a whole) as rocket scientists.

Pudlugger
01-04-2007, 07:14 PM

Typical egocentric thinking here. Nothing ever happened that counts before I was born. Don't they teach history anymore?:rolleyes:

Pudlugger
01-04-2007, 07:20 PM
Notre Dame is over-rated and has been all year...their fan base consists of mediocre uniformed catholic sports fans who can't pick a team to follow or follow their own. Their in the national spotlight because they hope that they will regain national prominence. The TV stations cover them because they want to be the broadcast station that is tied to their emergence on the national scene.

Charlie Weis was an excellent hire, don't get me wrong, but he isn't the savior to that University. When Notre Dame can win the big games, they can then talk to me, until then they are no better than Baylor in my eyes.

AggieJohnny Come Lately speaks!:D

bandera7
01-04-2007, 07:30 PM
Im not anointing their students as rocket scientists, I am just saying we dont take kids that have problems passing classes. And as for Claussen pulling it out, he will need a supporting cast. Brady Quinn is as good as they come, but the defense needed help this year. And we are pulling in one of the best recruiting classes this year. Ty and Bob Davies were horrible, the only thing they really picked up was Quinn. Charlie Weiss has put us in competition in every game, so watch out once he has the talent surrounding him from this years recruiting class in a few years. I agree ND has been overrated, however.

bulldogman06
01-04-2007, 07:38 PM

Oh wow, wait a minute. that fan base crap has to stop. im an Aggie fan and a Notre Dame fan, and a catholic, and some of the stuff you say makes sense but the bullcrap about the fane base is way off.

JR2004
01-04-2007, 09:54 PM
Notre Dame is over-rated and has been all year...their fan base consists of mediocre uniformed catholic sports fans who can't pick a team to follow or follow their own.

This has to be one of the most, if not the absolute most, ignorant things I've read on this board since I started looking at this site in 2004. Stirring the pot I can understand, but completely and utterly ignorant statements like that I can't.

bandera7
01-04-2007, 11:56 PM
I think that we have mostly come to an agreement on here then. Notre Dame IS over rated. I am an avid ND fan, and I agree with that, to a certain point. ND's players are a bit over rated. But Charlie Weis is amazing, and I dont think his value can really be measured. He is the reason for the bowl appearance. Sure, maybe ND had some help due to the BCS rules, but they wouldnt even be close with Ty Willingham still coaching. Charlie Weis not only has improved this team drastically, he has improved the recruiting drastically. What he did with a great quarterback and mediocre surrounding cast was quite incredible. But I am quite interested to see what he will do with a great quarterback and a good surrounding cast.

turbostud
01-05-2007, 12:06 AM
When Notre Dame can win the big games, they can then talk to me,
Who appointed you to the College Game Day crew?

neck_06
01-05-2007, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by Pudlugger
Typical egocentric thinking here. Nothing ever happened that counts before I was born. Don't they teach history anymore?:rolleyes:

last time i checked "History of Notre Dame Football" wasn't offered at West Columbia High School or at Texas A&M University......so i guess no, they don't teach it.

burnet44
01-05-2007, 01:00 AM
academics is killing them
and
thre is not many fast catholics
if anyone can turn it around charlie can

recruiting is a problem
it is at all church schools

agree or disagree

many kids just aint going there
its a shame
It is truly a fine school

g$$
01-05-2007, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by burnet44
academics is killing them
and
thre is not many fast catholics
if anyone can turn it around charlie can

recruiting is a problem
it is at all church schools

agree or disagree

many kids just aint going there
its a shame
It is truly a fine school

ND people like to point at academics, but in reality the requirements at ND are very similar to those of everybody else. I have worked in Athletic Academic Affairs (D1) in the past, & yes ND has tough requirements, but not to the extent they once were. ND can get kids in now, but the problem has been getting them to campus. Weis is doing better in this area, but it still remains a problem. Holtz had them lowered when he was there, then left when they were raised again by the new Father. Tony Rice, the fine QB, was a partial qualifier for example.

Bottom line, don't blame it all on academics. The playing field is not that uneven. ND has lost some of the luster & prestige to this generation's kids being recruited. They have no idea who the 4 Horseman or Paul Hornung were, nor do they care.