PDA

View Full Version : Bad news, Phil...

Maroon87
01-03-2007, 05:33 PM
Original WNBA franchise Charlotte Sting folds

By MIKE CRANSTON, AP Sports Writer
January 3, 2007

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) -- The WNBA's Charlotte Sting folded Wednesday, three weeks after the Bobcats gave up control of the team.

The WNBA was unsuccessful in finding a buyer for the Sting, one of the original eight franchises.

"It was driven by economics, certainly not philosophy," said Greg Economou, the Bobcats' chief marketing officer. "We believe in the women's game. If it could work here we'd be all for it. The situation we're in is trying to build the Bobcats' brand. It was difficult to absorb losing as much money as we were on the Sting side to continue."

The Sting were owned and operated by the Charlotte Hornets when the WNBA formed in 1997. The Sting stayed in Charlotte when the Hornets moved to New Orleans in 2002, and Bob Johnson took control of the team when he was awarded the Bobcats' expansion franchise in 2004.

The Sting struggled to draw fans in recent years and their move to the downtown Charlotte Bobcats Arena last season didn't help. They averaged 5,783 fans in 17 home games in 2006, which ranked 13th out of 14 teams in the league.

The franchise also struggled on the court. The Sting reached the WNBA finals in 2001, but made the playoffs only once since and were 17-51 in the past two seasons. Former Hornets star Muggsy Bogues coached the team for its final season and a half after Trudi Lacey gave up the coaching duties to focus on her general manager role.

Losing the Sting leaves the WNBA, set to begin its 11th season in May, with 13 teams.

Players from the Sting, including Monique Currie and Tangela Smith, are expected to be awarded to other teams in a dispersal draft.

"It's sad to see them go," Economou said. "They meant a lot to the people of the city, but at the same token, not enough people

GreenMonster
01-03-2007, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
They averaged 5,783 fans in 17 home games in 2006

"It's sad to see them go," Economou said. "They meant a lot to the people of the city

I'd like to say something really mean here but I can't break Phil C's heart. I know that it's women's thump-thump but, the destruction of any thump-thump is a good day in my book.

Phil C
01-03-2007, 05:52 PM
:(

Phil C
01-04-2007, 09:34 AM
The Houston Comets Coach resigned!

:( :mad:

Bull Butter
01-04-2007, 10:00 AM
I was gonna post that a little earlier. I guess the basketball was cutting into Van's Golf time.

Maroon87
01-04-2007, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
The Houston Comets Coach resigned!

:( :mad:

Well he did win 4 titles so I guess there's not much else to accomplish in the "W"...:thinking:

neo800
01-04-2007, 10:10 AM
I bet there will be no wnba in 5to 10 years.Womens basketball boring.

AggieJohn
01-04-2007, 11:02 AM
you would think that with a name like economu you would come up with a financial way to get things going

Phil C
01-04-2007, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
you would think that with a name like economu you would come up with a financial way to get things going

What a shame. :(

Phil C
01-04-2007, 11:45 AM
It's disgraceful. We need to support womens' sports which includes the WNBA, Soccer and Softball. Come on USA. Let's get with the support. Especially that are fortunate to live near an area that has one of these sports close by.

Shame for Shame!

:mad:

District303aPastPlayer
01-04-2007, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
It's disgraceful. We need to support womens' sports which includes the WNBA, Soccer and Softball. Come on USA. Let's get with the support. Especially that are fortunate to live near an area that has one of these sports close by.

Shame for Shame!

:mad:

If they got a lil more exciting...we just might... :(

AggieJohn
01-04-2007, 11:56 AM
MJ should of scooped them

SWMustang
01-04-2007, 04:15 PM
The Comets are in negotiation to be sold too. I think the WNBA is done in 3 years - at most. It was a bad idea.