PDA

View Full Version : Duke invites 2 lacrosse players back

luvhoops34
01-03-2007, 04:57 PM
Jan 3, 4:25 PM EST

2 accused athletes invited back to Duke

By AARON BEARD

RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) -- Duke University said Wednesday that two of the lacrosse players accused of sexually assaulting a stripper have been invited to return to school and are eligible to rejoin the team.

Collin Finnerty and Reade Seligmann had been barred from attending class during the fall semester while their case made its way through court. A third player, Dave Evans, graduated in May, the day before he was charged.

Lawyers for Seligmann and Finnerty said their clients were still making up their minds about whether to return.

Rape charges against all three athletes were dropped last month, after the woman who said she was attacked a team party last March wavered on some key details. The men are still charged with sexual offense and kidnapping; they are not expected to go to trial before the spring.

"As circumstances have evolved in this extraordinary case, we have attempted to balance recognition of the gravity of legal charges with the presumption of your innocence," Larry Moneta, Duke's vice president for student affairs said in a letter to Seligmann and Finnerty dated Tuesday.

"Now with the approach of a new term, we believe that circumstances warrant that we strike this balance differently. At this point, continued extension of the administrative leave would do unwarranted harm to your educational progress."

Both Seligmann and Finnerty would also be eligible to return to the lacrosse team, Duke spokesman Keith Lawrence said.

The university could still punish them if they are convicted of any of the charges, Moneta said in a separate letter to Duke's president.

"We feel that this is a very important moment," Finnerty's lawyer Wade Smith said. "This announcement speaks to Duke's integrity as an institution, to its mission, and to its belief in Collin Finnerty's innocence."

The defense is expected to ask a judge at a Feb. 5 hearing to throw out results of a photo lineup in which the accuser identified the players. Without her identification, experts said, District Attorney Mike Nifong may have to drop the other charges.

"By now it should be plain to any person who has any objectivity that the charges against Reade are transparently false," the Seligmann family said in a statement Wednesday.

Nifong did not immediately return a call.

The scandal led to the resignation of Duke's lacrosse coach and the cancellation of the rest of the season for the highly ranked team.

Adidas410s
01-03-2007, 05:05 PM
what about the coach? :(

GreenMonster
01-03-2007, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
what about the coach? :(

He sure did get the shaft. I know that he resigned, but I'd sure like to know whether that was a forced resignation. I think the President of the University should resign after the way he jumped to conclusions so quickly in this case. He made himself and Duke University look like an ASS. Much more so than what the students ever did.

BobcatBenny
01-03-2007, 05:46 PM
There is a lesson here.

Behave yourself! :nerd:

BILLYFRED0000
01-03-2007, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by BobcatBenny
There is a lesson here.

Behave yourself! :nerd:

Benny quit talkin about yourself. Sides, I think they did behave themselves.

jason
01-03-2007, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by BobcatBenny
There is a lesson here.
just go to the strip club, dont invite them to your house

LitanyofFury
01-03-2007, 06:15 PM
I feel really bad for those kids. Didn't do a damn thing wrong except for drinking when they weren't 21 (which damn near every person under 21 does at one time or another). Now they'll have to carry this around their entire life like a scarlet letter. Anytime they meet someone it'll be "Oh. . .you're the Duke lacrosse player, right?"

I hope ole' Jesse Jackson pays THEM some money!

BobcatBenny
01-03-2007, 07:35 PM
I honestly do not want to seem too prudish or hijack this thread, but adults and kids need to learn a valuable lesson from these Duke players.

Misbehaving can and does have negative consequences.

So behave!

http://blogsimages.skynet.be/images/000/497/677_1093434703.jpg

Car Ramrod
01-03-2007, 08:38 PM
I'm glad the University is doing this. They didn't deserve to be under the scrutiny they were under.