PDA

View Full Version : Mark McGwire Hall of Fame?

ASUFrisbeeStud
01-03-2007, 04:02 PM
http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/16361760.htm

What do yall think, should McGwire go to the hall of fame?

I love him and I really think he should 'roids or not.

Discuss...jk

But I do want to know what everyone thinks

GreenMonster
01-03-2007, 04:50 PM
No way Jose! Even half of the Bash Brothers is too much. He weaseled out of giving any real testimony to Congress so I say leave the weasel out of the Hall of Fame.

Txbroadcaster
01-03-2007, 04:52 PM
I dont think he should go..but that has nothing to do with roids..I think he is/was VERY OVERRATED..a one trick pony who spent to much time on DL.

The roid things does not matter..if a player has not actually tested positive I dont think it is fair for the HOF voters to ASSUME who was on roids and who was not

tigerpride_08
01-03-2007, 05:03 PM
i think he should get in...

injuredinmelee
01-03-2007, 05:24 PM
The MCGwire/Sosa home run race saved the sport of baseball. They should both get in for rekindling Americas interest n the game.

Tiger90
01-03-2007, 05:25 PM
He single handedly brought MLB back from the brink of death after the strike with his homerun record chase. I personally dislike baseball with a passion, but he saved the league.

ASUFrisbeeStud
01-03-2007, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by Tiger90
He single handedly brought MLB back from the brink of death after the strike with his homerun record chase. I personally dislike baseball with a passion, but he saved the league.

I definitly agree with that and I don't think he was a "One hit wonder" by any means, he had a more than solid carrer. Yeah his congressional hearing BS wasn't his finest hour but you know what I respect a man alot more who doesn't admit or deny anything than a man who denies denies denies and then six months later test positive for steroids. He hasn't lied to us at least.

BILLYFRED0000
01-03-2007, 05:37 PM
I say let steroids be steroids. We never yelled at the Ball players
during prohibition who got lit up and played anyway. And while steriods does increase power it does not help if you cannot hit the ball.
Just put an asterisk by his name. Steroids gave him how many more homeruns? That is why I think it is silly. We could not quantify the thing if we wanted to. Like Tiger Woods changed golf the modern era ball player is just stronger better trained and
more talented than they were in the 20's. Babe would still be Babe but the most of the starters then would be minors now.

JR2004
01-03-2007, 06:14 PM
Biggest McGwire fan on this board, but I don't think he should be in the Hall of Fame after what he said, or better yet didn't say, before Congress. Not that he cares what any fans think about him as he lives in complete seclusion, but his stats from at least the mid to late 90's are completely tainted.

BILLYFRED0000
01-03-2007, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
Biggest McGwire fan on this board, but I don't think he should be in the Hall of Fame after what he said, or better yet didn't say, before Congress. Not that he cares what any fans think about him as he lives in complete seclusion, but his stats from at least the mid to late 90's are completely tainted.

But that is my point. Tainted by what? How many more homeruns did he get because of what he took or did not take?
Stipulate something that proves something. The truth is all we have is a lot of speculation. If taking steroids was all there was to it you and I ought to rush out and buy some then we become multi-million dollar ball players.... Right????

District303aPastPlayer
01-03-2007, 07:18 PM
i think Pete Rose should get in before McGwire...

Veritas
01-03-2007, 07:18 PM
Pete Rose should be in what a shame but bonds should and will get in the hall his records speak for themselves

ASUFrisbeeStud
01-03-2007, 07:25 PM
Pete Rose has dug his own grave.

District303aPastPlayer
01-03-2007, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by Veritas
Pete Rose should be in what a shame but bonds should and will get in the hall his records speak for themselves

I hope that the Feds indict Bonds on perjury and that he has to spend time in prison...

tigerpride_08
01-03-2007, 08:18 PM
Pete Rose was a great player and i honestly believe he should get in some day...people make bad decisions and i think he's been punished enough already...but thats just me:)

Car Ramrod
01-03-2007, 08:23 PM
If the steroid thing did not come up then this would be a non issue and he would be a first ballot hall of famer. I think that he and Pete Rose should be in the hall.

ASUFrisbeeStud
01-03-2007, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by Car Ramrod
If the steroid thing did not come up then this would be a non issue and he would be a first ballet hall of famer. I think that he and Pete Rose should be in the hall.

I agree, especially Pete you go into the hall as a ball player not because of what kind of person you are.

GOFOR2
01-03-2007, 10:25 PM
He played as well as he did with the aid of steriods. He played as long as he did with the help of steriods. He does not belong in the Hall of Fame.
If you let him in, might as well let "Shoeless" Joe Jackson and Pete Rose into the Hall as well.

big daddy russ
02-12-2007, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by Veritas
I never got in on this argument, but I wish I would've.

You know what, screw it. It's the offseason. I'll revive the thread. For my opinion, click here... seven posts down the page. (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=47996&perpage=15&highlight=pete%20rose&pagenumber=3)

coach
02-12-2007, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
No way Jose! Even half of the Bash Brothers is too much. He weaseled out of giving any real testimony to Congress so I say leave the weasel out of the Hall of Fame.

this was about mark not jose canseaco...and yeah he should be in the hof just like pete rose but thats a different story

ASUFrisbeeStud
02-12-2007, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by coach
this was about mark not jose canseaco...and yeah he should be in the hof just like pete rose but thats a different story

I agree

pirate4state
02-12-2007, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
I never got in on this argument, but I wish I would've.

You know what, screw it. It's the offseason. I'll revive the thread. For my opinion, click here... seven posts down the page. (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=47996&perpage=15&highlight=pete%20rose&pagenumber=3)

as always - good stuff :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

big daddy russ
02-12-2007, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by coach
You should be lobbying for Shoeless Joe over Rose. He was a more dominant player his time, and was thrown out of the league after batting .375 with a HR, 6 RBI, 5 runs, and 3 doubles in the 1919 World Series.

Rose had more hits than anyone because he was a top-of-the-order hitter (more AB's than any player ever, almost 2,000 more than number two Hank Aaron) who was a good contact hitter. Sure, he made a couple of runs at the batting title, but Ferris Fain (who?) has as many batting titles as Rose. Hell, Larry Walker has twice as many seasons with a .325+ batting average as Rose. As a matter of fact, Walker did something that Rose never did and he did it four times--- he hit .350.

I'm going to take this argument one step further and say that he was only the fourth-best everyday player on the Big Red Machine. He wasn't that much better than George Foster or Dave Concepcion. I'd say Johnny Bench, Joe Morgan, and even Tony Perez (a largely-forgotten power hitter who also made good contact) ahead of Rose. That's right, Perez.

I love the way he played. You can't help but love his playing style, and if he wouldn't have bet against baseball, I'd say he was a HOFer. On that note, I also loved the playing styles of Dale Murphy and Lenny Dykstra, but they're not in the Hall.

And remember, Rose did bet on baseball (THE cardinal sin in all of sports), probably bet against his team, lied about it, busted himself in that book that he wrote, then dug himself in a deeper hole with ESPN.

People seem to think 'roids are a worse crime against sports than gambling, but everyone's forgotten the lessons of the Black Sox. Like I said in my previous argument, you can take every performance-enhancing drug in the world, but there's still someone (a Pedro Martinez, Jake Peavy, etc) standing in the way of your goal. When your goal is to win, there's always going to be someone trying to keep you from winning.

But when you're betting against your team and trying to lose, there's nobody trying to stand in the way of your goal.

Pete Rose is a piece of crap. I hope he never gets in the Hall.

NDFootball
02-12-2007, 09:04 PM
I think he and rose deserve to be in...unless rose had bet on his own game.

Question : Why is Congress wasting their time with baseball? Don't they have better things to do than judge players who are under suspicion of steroids? I guess not :thinking:

burnet44
02-12-2007, 09:58 PM
1 no they dont
2. if michael irvin gets in let everbody in
3. the hall aint what it was
4. players have no shame so let em in the hall of fame

NDFootball
02-12-2007, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by burnet44
1 no they dont
2. if michael irvin gets in let everbody in
3. the hall aint what it was
4. players have no shame so let em in the hall of fame

Can't get out of the "glory days" eh? Did you have to walk five miles uphill both ways through the snow just to get to school every day? I'm j/k with that last part. Just lettin you know it was around when your view of the hall of fame was good. The difference? A liberal media that will do anything to get a story is around today.

Who-dun-it!!?
02-13-2007, 02:38 AM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
i think Pete Rose should get in before McGwire...

Absolutely!! Not without Pete!!!!