PDA

View Full Version : Notre Dame's Weis has no interest in NFL

CalallenWildcat
01-03-2007, 01:53 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowls06/news/story?id=2717774

Notre Dame's Weis denies any interest in return to NFLBy Mark Schlabach
ESPN.com

NEW ORLEANS -- While Miami Dolphins coach Nick Saban continues to ponder an opportunity to return to college football as Alabama's new coach, Notre Dame coach Charlie Weis again insisted Tuesday he has no intention of leaving his alma mater to return to pro football.

Weis has led Notre Dame to consecutive BCS bowl games and won 19 games, the most by an Irish coach in his first two seasons. The No. 11 Fighting Irish play No. 4 LSU in Wednesday night's Allstate Sugar Bowl at the Louisiana Superdome.

Weis, a former offensive coordinator with the New England Patriots and assistant with the New York Jets and New York Giants, has been mentioned among the possible candidates to replace Giants coach Tom Coughlin, whose job seems to be in jeopardy after his team limped to an 8-8 record.

The Giants play the Philadelphia Eagles in an NFC wild-card playoffs game on Sunday.

"I can only say it so many times," Weis said Tuesday, when asked about potential NFL coaching opportunities. "You know the worst part of it, whether it's the Giants or anywhere else? Every coach is perceived to be a liar. 'Well, Weis said it, but he's just a liar.' Believe it or not, there are coaches out there who aren't liars."

Last October, Weis signed a 10-year contract extention with Notre Dame, which is believed to have a total financial package of between $30 milion and $40 million.

"I plan on being here until [his son] Charlie graduates from Notre Dame, and Charlie is in the eighth grade," Weis said. "Hopefully after that, we'll have enough money to be sitting on a beach somewhere sipping pina coladas."

Mark Schlabach covers college football and men's college basketball for ESPN.com. You can contact him at schlabachma@yahoo.com.

Jason1725
01-03-2007, 08:12 AM
As a Steeler fan knowing Bill Cowher will resign any day now I was kinda hoping they could land this guy.