PDA

View Full Version : No Offense to Our Leadership, But I Refuse to Use NS In My Posts...A Petition

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
01-03-2007, 01:15 AM
I know that you guys and gals are trying to "moderate" the strife between posters who want to keep the non-sports topics from cluttering up the page and those who post them on here, but I think that it is unnecessary. In my opinion, it should not be the job of me or anyone else on here to have to clarify what were a posting about. If it really bothers a person that a thread is not about football, they can be the ones to go out of there way to avoid the threads. A lot of the threads that are non-sports are the ones who have brought us together the most as friends and a community, and are an integral part of the Downlow. I know it says "Football Discussion" as plain as day, but the small talk has been a staple of the Downlow and is what has brought me and hundreds of others back on a daily basis to read. No offense to the leadership, I know you are trying to do what you think is right, but this is my official petition. Post here if you feel the same as I do.

ASUFrisbeeStud
01-03-2007, 01:20 AM
Sounds good to me.

AggieJohn
01-03-2007, 01:36 AM
i third that.....i don't think we should have too unless it's during high school football season, which is over.....

injuredinmelee
01-03-2007, 02:01 AM
the way i see it is you dont have unalienable rights here. They set the rules and if we dont like them we can leave.

BreckTxLonghorn
01-03-2007, 02:35 AM
I don't think it's a definitive rule. I believe the moderators are just trying to get everyone to be what the civilized call "courteous."

AggieJohn
01-03-2007, 02:52 AM
No, it's not a set in stone rule but rather courtesy...however, I don't believe that it follows after the spirit of the downlow and is rather P.C. move

SintonFan
01-03-2007, 04:22 AM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
I know that you guys and gals are trying to "moderate" the strife between posters who want to keep the non-sports topics from cluttering up the page and those who post them on here, but I think that it is unnecessary. In my opinion, it should not be the job of me or anyone else on here to have to clarify what were a posting about. If it really bothers a person that a thread is not about football, they can be the ones to go out of there way to avoid the threads. A lot of the threads that are non-sports are the ones who have brought us together the most as friends and a community, and are an integral part of the Downlow. I know it says "Football Discussion" as plain as day, but the small talk has been a staple of the Downlow and is what has brought me and hundreds of others back on a daily basis to read. No offense to the leadership, I know you are trying to do what you think is right, but this is my official petition. Post here if you feel the same as I do.
Is this post about football?!?:mad:
SHOW SOME COMPASSIDERATION!!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

bullfrog_alumni_02
01-03-2007, 04:45 AM
um...:confused: i think i must have missed something when i was home gettin hitched...where did all this stuff come from? i was kinda wondering why and what the nf or ns was all about...guess i know now.

3afan
01-03-2007, 06:50 AM
NF/NS --- never have, never will .........

CenTexSports
01-03-2007, 08:16 AM
This is a bunch of STUPIDITY. Any normal person can see that the majority of the posts are non-football and non-sports. So why put the burden on these posters. Those that actually post sports or football related topics should have to label them. So I propose the following:

FR (football related) + HS or PRO or college

GSR (general sports related) + soccer or BB or HSBB or etc.

Why put the burden on the majority of the posters? Put the burden on the minority, it is the American way.

Phil C
01-03-2007, 09:06 AM
This is 3A Texas High School Football and WE HAVE NO BUSINESS GETTING OFF THE SUBJECT like some of you do so often. Hello! Knock Knock! Earth to 3A Downlow! Stay with the subject!
I have even saw a thread about a western movie on tv today for crying out loud!

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU ALL!!!!

3A DOWNLOW FOOTBALL!!

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Ranger Mom
01-03-2007, 09:36 AM
I may get my hand slapped for saying this here, but I don't particularly want to put NS or NF on my posts either.

I may can understand it a little more during football season....but not during the off season.

The way I look at it, we have maybe 10 people who complain about it....EVERYONE else is just fine with the way it is.

For the next few months, the majority of posts WILL be non-sports related!

Phil C
01-03-2007, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
For the next few months, the majority of posts WILL be non-sports related!

:eek: :(

Ranger Mom
01-03-2007, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
:eek: :(

Sorry PhilC...it is what it is!:)

pirate4state
01-03-2007, 09:47 AM
Some thread titles are a little vague, but 9 times out of 10 those are the ones that are NOT about football. ;) :D

I am all for posting NF/NS during HS football season. We all know it is over now. :weeping:

The off season has begun and 90% of this board will be about NON FOOTBALL stuff.

Next month I will begin to start posting about softball & baseball as will some others. (GWOOD, Phil C & hopefully Old Cardinal)

There are a few posters talking about :hairpunk: basketball so just stick around and give it a chance and if you still don't like it then there is something wrong with you! :p :p :D

Ranger Mom
01-03-2007, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Some thread titles are a little vague, but 9 times out of 10 those are the ones that are NOT about football. ;) :D

To me...that's all part of the game!

I know that I will post a thread title sometimes (usually NS related) and will use what little imagination I have to make it interesting, or confusing enough to make the reader want to open in and see what in the heck I am talking about!:p :p

pirate4state
01-03-2007, 10:09 AM
To me...that's all part of the game!

I know that I will post a thread title sometimes (usually NS related) and will use what little imagination I have to make it interesting, or confusing enough to make the reader want to open in and see what in the heck I am talking about!:p :p

I know. :D Or sometimes I'll just assume everyone will know what I'm talking about. :p

That little blurb was just for some other posters. ;)

Bullaholic
01-03-2007, 10:20 AM
You have a driver's license, but you can't afford a car. Somebody gives you a nice car to drive anywhere you want and even builds an Interstate highway for you to drive it on. The only thing the car owner asks is that you be sure to use your turn signals while driving and obey a few other simple traffic rules. The nerve of that person who let you use their car.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
01-03-2007, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
You have a driver's license, but you can't afford a car. Somebody gives you a nice car to drive anywhere you want and even builds an Interstate highway for you to drive it on. The only thing the car owner asks is that you be sure to use your turn signals while driving and obey a few other simple traffic rules. The nerve of that person who let you use their car.

A very valid argument, but it's the offseason. 90% of the posts are going to be non-sports related. I can understand that during the season, I used NF on my threads during the season. This would have never been brought up had we not had so many people crying to our leadership that they felt obligated to appease them by making this guideline.

Bullaholic
01-03-2007, 12:16 PM
A very valid argument, but it's the offseason. 90% of the posts are going to be non-sports related. I can understand that during the season, I used NF on my threads during the season. This would have never been brought up had we not had so many people crying to our leadership that they felt obligated to appease them by making this guideline.

I hear you, Gary, and thanks for understanding the intent of my post correctly. It was not meant as a "shot". Sometimes in business I make the mistake of trying to get new customers so vigorously that I forget to pay attention to some of my old, loyal, longtime customers. IMO, I think the board management is just trying to explain to mainly new posters about why threads are not segregated into areas and requesting that all posters tag non-sports related posts with (NS) to avoid potential misunderstanding by new posters. I think they don't want to turn anyone "off" to the board until they have a chance to get their feet wet. I can understand that. Some people feel that it is a waste of their time if they open a thread and the subject is entirely different from what they expected, and you know that some posters deliberately disguise their thread topics as a "hook" or to be funny. Anyhow, maybe all of us can tolerate this request in the interest of extending a friendly face to newcomers and some "old" members.

neck_06
01-03-2007, 12:21 PM
i'm with ya BBDE. i think its a little over the top putting NS or NF on threads in the off season.

luvhoops34
01-03-2007, 01:05 PM
I think it's funny that whoever these new posters are, that have complained via pm to the moderators about non sports posts are not on this thread taking up for their point of view. :thinking:

I'm with ya of this one Gary!

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
01-03-2007, 01:09 PM
Tiger WR would like all of you to know that he agrees with me on this topic.

STANG RED
01-03-2007, 01:43 PM
:thinking: Is something this trivial really worth complaining about:confused: I'll be glad when yalls classes start up again, so youll have more important things to concern yourselves with.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
01-03-2007, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
:thinking: Is something this trivial really worth complaining about:confused: I'll be glad when yalls classes start up again, so youll have more important things to concern yourselves with.

When classes start up, you will be lucky to see me on here anymore.

carter08
01-03-2007, 04:16 PM
I agree

88bobcats
01-03-2007, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by luvhoops34
I think it's funny that whoever these new posters are, that have complained via pm to the moderators about non sports posts are not on this thread taking up for their point of view. :thinking:

I was one of the posters that suggested, in the SUGGESTIONS forum, adding an additional discussion or forum for the "other stuff" topics. I'm all for the variety of topics, but it seems to be an easy solution since there is a forum for coaching jobs and another for suggestions. How difficult could it be to break the discussions into "sports" and "other stuff"? I have not asked any other posters to add any codes to their topics.....that came from the moderators and administrators.

By the way, all of my posts on this topic have been public. You are far too presumptuous luvhoops34 to suggest that this is the result of "...complaints via pm to the moderators...", unless there have been posters other than me.

WildTexan
01-03-2007, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
This is 3A Texas High School Football and WE HAVE NO BUSINESS GETTING OFF THE SUBJECT like some of you do so often. Hello! Knock Knock! Earth to 3A Downlow! Stay with the subject!
I have even saw a thread about a western movie on tv today for crying out loud!

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU ALL!!!!

3A DOWNLOW FOOTBALL!!

:mad: :mad: :mad:

surely this must be his running joke, since most of the crap he posts about is how far up the arse of the longWhorns he is....which, unless he figures UT football is really bad, is NOT 3A football related.....

Bullaholic
01-03-2007, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by WildTexan
surely this must be his running joke, since most of the crap he posts about is how far up the arse of the longWhorns he is....which, unless he figures UT football is really bad, is NOT 3A football related.....

You have just become an official member of the Phil C fan club, WildTexan. Welcome aboard. :D

sinton66
01-03-2007, 07:39 PM

Again, you just don't understand, Gary. They aren't complaining that people post non sports topics. They are complaining that posters aren't making it clear in their titles what the thread is about. lepfan's "I Hate Snow" thread is an example of one that IS self explanatory, it OBVIOUSLY isn't about sports. One that simply says "Question?" isn't clear at all. No one said you HAVE to do it. All we are suggesting is if you CAN'T think of a way to word your title so it is self explanatory, a simple "NS" tag would suffice just fine for practically everyone. Think of it as common internet courtesy.

BILLYFRED0000
01-03-2007, 07:53 PM
Ya know the one thing about forums is there is a purpose. However, if ya can't have a little fun then whats the point? I like
to be off the wall occasionally or random as my 21 year old daughter puts it, and like many of you, I find it funny to post a thread that says one thing but means another. Can't help the devils advocate in me or the word games people play. On the other hand, I suppose that some posters come here and just get
confused because they are looking for something specific and really should just sink in and enjoy the atmosphere. I mean if all you can do is one thing well do it and enjoy it but don't expect me to do it with you all the time.

sinton66
01-03-2007, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by 88bobcats
I was one of the posters that suggested, in the SUGGESTIONS forum, adding an additional discussion or forum for the "other stuff" topics. I'm all for the variety of topics, but it seems to be an easy solution since there is a forum for coaching jobs and another for suggestions. How difficult could it be to break the discussions into "sports" and "other stuff"? I have not asked any other posters to add any codes to their topics.....that came from the moderators and administrators.

By the way, all of my posts on this topic have been public. You are far too presumptuous luvhoops34 to suggest that this is the result of "...complaints via pm to the moderators...", unless there have been posters other than me.

You aren't the only one to suggest it, and yes, your suggestion was public. As the announcement indicates, it has been intermittantly suggested for a couple of years now. We've even voted on the subject several times. Clearly 80% of the board prefers it this way. I can tell you for sure that if we did this, the mods would be spending way more time moving threads to the correct forum than moderating or participating in the discussions. Creating a seperate forum is the easy part. Getting people to use it is a different story.

For myself, I don't mind it this way at all. I've been here long enough to know who posts about sports and who doesn't. Most of these folks are the same way. If you hang around long enough, you'll get that way too.;)

luvhoops34
01-03-2007, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
You aren't the only one to suggest it, and yes, your suggestion was public. As the announcement indicates, it has been intermittantly suggested for a couple of years now. We've even voted on the subject several times. Clearly 80% of the board prefers it this way. I can tell you for sure that if we did this, the mods would be spending way more time moving threads to the correct forum than moderating or participating in the discussions. Creating a seperate forum is the easy part. Getting people to use it is a different story.

For myself, I don't mind it this way at all. I've been here long enough to know who posts about sports and who doesn't. Most of these folks are the same way. If you hang around long enough, you'll get that way too.;)

Thank goodness our moderators have some common sense! Unlike some posters!

Cameron Crazy
01-03-2007, 09:59 PM
I still do not understand why we can not talk about or fav team!

pirate4state
01-03-2007, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by Cameron Crazy
I still do not understand why we can not talk about or fav team!

:confused: What are you talking about??

Hupernikomen
01-03-2007, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
I've been here long enough to know who posts about sports and who doesn't. Most of these folks are the same way. If you hang around long enough, you'll get that way too.;)

You aren't kidding. Some of these people on here have several thousand post of which no more than a score or two had anything to do with football. It is very easy to navigate the nonsense once you stay here for a while.

pirate4state
01-03-2007, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by Hupernikomen
You aren't kidding. Some of these people on here have several thousand post of which no more than a score or two had anything to do with football. It is very easy to navigate the nonsense once you stay here for a while.

What nonsense??? ;) :confused: :D

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
01-03-2007, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by Hupernikomen

Yeah, like Adidas. :thinking:

AggieJohn
01-04-2007, 04:23 AM

For the next few months, the majority of posts WILL be non-sports related! since i signed up all of my posts have been non sports related...i will continue to buck the camel

Ranger Mom
01-04-2007, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
What nonsense??? ;) :confused: :D

I am a proud nonsense poster!!:p :D