PDA

View Full Version : Ahhh so Baylor goes back on word as well?

Txbroadcaster
01-02-2007, 11:33 AM
http://recruitingbuzz.beloblog.com/
Berkner's Johnson out with Baylor
So Buzz gets back from vacation and gets this news:

Apparently Baylor and Richardson Berkner athlete Justin Johnson have parted ways.

Berkner coach Jim Ledford reports Johnson found out Sunday night after a talk with Bears coach Guy Morriss.

"Justin called Coach Morriss last night and he told him Baylor would no longer honor that commitment," Ledford said.

We'll try to get more from Johnson today
===============================

So lets hear thoughts on Baylor backing out of a commitment from a kid

carter08
01-02-2007, 11:35 AM
Do they want to lose?

Adidas410s
01-02-2007, 11:36 AM
They sure showed Kinne on this one! ;)

JJ7997
01-02-2007, 11:37 AM
Of course, they're Baylor.

Txbroadcaster
01-02-2007, 11:38 AM
Just shows a verbal commit is a two way street

JasperDog94
01-02-2007, 11:40 AM
Baylor = Lame

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
01-02-2007, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Just shows a verbal commit is a two way street

It is, and wrong in either case. I guess that Baylor deserved to lose Kinne after all.

JasperDog94
01-02-2007, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
It is, and wrong in either case. I guess that Baylor deserved to lose Kinne after all. You know, it's one thing for a 17 year old kid to go back on his word. I don't think it's right, but sometimes it happens.

An adult is an entirely different matter. I've lost a lot of respect for Morris. Unless there's more to this story than we've heard.

txkmom
01-02-2007, 11:53 AM
A couple of years ago, a friend's son was offered a full ride at a well-known university ... then they found someone they liked better and TOLD him that, taking away their offer. Perfectly legal, but how disheartening to any 18-year-old, much less one who had worked so hard on the field, court, and track, and in the classroom, then to be told he wasn't good enough.

3afan
01-02-2007, 11:54 AM
don't be so quick to judge BU on what MAY HAVE happened ..... no-one outside the actual players knows the real story

Txbroadcaster
01-02-2007, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
don't be so quick to judge BU on what MAY HAVE happened ..... no-one outside the actual players knows the real story

I was not judging, hence why I put the Question mark...But you can say the same for Kinne as well, dont be so quick to judge EITHER side

3afan
01-02-2007, 12:00 PM
I was speaking generally, not specifically to you ;)

Phil C
01-02-2007, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
http://recruitingbuzz.beloblog.com/
Berkner's Johnson out with Baylor
So Buzz gets back from vacation and gets this news:

Apparently Baylor and Richardson Berkner athlete Justin Johnson have parted ways.

Berkner coach Jim Ledford reports Johnson found out Sunday night after a talk with Bears coach Guy Morriss.

"Justin called Coach Morriss last night and he told him Baylor would no longer honor that commitment," Ledford said.

We'll try to get more from Johnson today
===============================

So lets hear thoughts on Baylor backing out of a commitment from a kid

Makes Coach Mack Brown look even more classier for keeping the UT scholarship open for the player that got injured.

Phil C
01-02-2007, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Baylor = Lame

Jasper I admire the Baptist Church.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
01-02-2007, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
You know, it's one thing for a 17 year old kid to go back on his word. I don't think it's right, but sometimes it happens.

An adult is an entirely different matter. I've lost a lot of respect for Morris. Unless there's more to this story than we've heard.

Yeah, an adult doing that is much worse. Even Mack honored his scholarship to a kid who will never again play football.

JasperDog94
01-02-2007, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Jasper I admire the Baptist Church. As do I....seeing as how I work at one.:)

sahen
01-02-2007, 05:17 PM
hold on...i have no idea what happened as i havent been around a computer for a while but there has to be a reason baylor pulled the offer....lets think about this, baylor lost i know 2 good commitments over the weekend and probably more since i havent looked at it why would we pull someone's scholarship that wants to go here in the middle of a mass exodus of our class thanks to kinne jr. and friends? doesnt make much sense though i have been wrong before, i gotta dig around on this and see what i can find....

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
01-02-2007, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by sahen
hold on...i have no idea what happened as i havent been around a computer for a while but there has to be a reason baylor pulled the offer....lets think about this, baylor lost i know 2 good commitments over the weekend and probably more since i havent looked at it why would we pull someone's scholarship that wants to go here in the middle of a mass exodus of our class thanks to kinne jr. and friends? doesnt make much sense though i have been wrong before, i gotta dig around on this and see what i can find....

Great, we have a Baylor student on assignment. Now, after he finds the bathroom in his own house, he can then move on to finding the information that we need. This is going to be a while....*sigh* ;)

texasjeremy
01-02-2007, 05:58 PM
Actually, Baylor KEPT their word, thats what the problem was. They told the kid if he took a 2nd recruiting trip to a school, they would consider it a decommitment, his HS coach told him to go ahead and make a 2nd trip to Houston. When he did, Baylor considered it a decommit and dropped his offer. His HS coach is the one he should blame, he screwed the kid over. Baylor keeping the offer open would have been going back on their word.

sahen
01-02-2007, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by texasjeremy
Actually, Baylor KEPT their word, thats what the problem was. They told the kid if he took a 2nd recruiting trip to a school, they would consider it a decommitment, his HS coach told him to go ahead and make a 2nd trip to Houston. When he did, Baylor considered it a decommit and dropped his offer. His HS coach is the one he should blame, he screwed the kid over. Baylor keeping the offer open would have been going back on their word.
this is what i found as well...though everyone i can talk to are all going to be pro-baylor so who knows....it doesnt make sense for baylor to cut one of their better recruits scholarship for no reason especially considering the events of the past couple weeks...

JR2004
01-02-2007, 06:12 PM
Congratulations Baylor! Not only did you lose a kid that would've been a difference maker on your defense, you're now completely shut off from getting any recruits from one of the better schools in the metroplex. You can bet that Berkner won't be the only school in the Dallas area that you've just been shut out of for the forseeable future due to this debacle.

I could understand if this was a school like UT, Oklahoma, USC, or Ohio State pulling an offer because a kid visited elsewhere. Schools like that can do this and just get another big-time recruit to make a committment. Baylor is in NO position to do something like this.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
01-02-2007, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by sahen
this is what i found as well...though everyone i can talk to are all going to be pro-baylor so who knows....it doesnt make sense for baylor to cut one of their better recruits scholarship for no reason especially considering the events of the past couple weeks...

Does this mean you found your bathroom?

GreenMonster
01-02-2007, 11:29 PM
I hope you guys aren't so naive to think that this isn't a regular occurrence. We just don't hear about it. Happened to me 10 years ago. I had a verbal agreement to receive a $1000 scholarship coming into my second season of college baseball. Coaches changed but the new coach was aware of the agreement. He chose to back out and didn't even have the decentcy to give me a call and let me know. Instead I was called into the coaches office the day I reported in and was told there would be no scholarship funds available and that if I wanted to stay in school I would need to pay the additional funds. It was too late to transfer so I paid the extra. Within a month I had re-injured a shoulder and had to pack it in. I will always be bitter about how I was treated, but life goes on.

sahen
01-03-2007, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by JR2004
Congratulations Baylor! Not only did you lose a kid that would've been a difference maker on your defense, you're now completely shut off from getting any recruits from one of the better schools in the metroplex. You can bet that Berkner won't be the only school in the Dallas area that you've just been shut out of for the forseeable future due to this debacle.

I could understand if this was a school like UT, Oklahoma, USC, or Ohio State pulling an offer because a kid visited elsewhere. Schools like that can do this and just get another big-time recruit to make a committment. Baylor is in NO position to do something like this. OR they decided to not get left holding a scholarship they could give to a decent player on signing day when the kid from Berkner backed out....he apparantly had taken 2 visits to Houston since he commited to Baylor, if the coaches told him that if he took a visit elsewhere then he was going to lose his scholarship then they did the right thing...maybe baylor is getting tired of kids screwing them, i can recall several players who have changed at the last moment since i have been going to school here and its never the lower ranked ones that do that...If he really wanted to go to school at Baylor then i think he would have done what the coaches asked him to...

Dogman_1969
01-03-2007, 08:14 AM
I think that this is a perfect reason for having a fall signing period. I think that football should do a signing during the fall semester of an athletes senior year. This would take care of all of this. I think this is coming.

I too agree that a commitment is exactly that and should be as good as ones word weather it is an athlete or a institution.

Just remember this though, if a kid de-commits that just opens the door for another kid to go there on a full scholarship. Besides, most of the kids that receive scholarships don't end up near as good as people think they will be. I think coaches and recruiters don't spend near enough time looking at a kids charicter and academics. If a kid don't want to put the time into his school work and strive to be a D-1 student, what makes you think he can do this in college either?