PDA

View Full Version : Arizona Cardinals Fire HC Dennis Green

ILS1
01-01-2007, 01:05 PM
TEMPE, Ariz. -- The Arizona Cardinals fired coach Dennis Green on Monday after he failed to turn the downtrodden franchise into a winner in three seasons on the job.

Green was dismissed one day after the Cardinals concluded a 5-11 season with a 27-20 loss at San Diego. He finished with a 16-32 record at Arizona. The Cardinals will pay $2.5 million to buy out the final year of his contract.

He was the seventh coach the Cardinals have had since the franchise moved to Arizona in 1988. Green's mission was to turn around the perpetually losing Cardinals, who have had one winning season since 1984, and put a winner into the new stadium when it opened this season.

The stadium, the signing of running back Edgerrin James and the drafting of quarterback Matt Leinart stirred up interest in the team, which sold out every home game this year.

But after a season-opening home victory over San Francisco, the Cardinals lost eight in a row and quickly fell out of the playoff hunt. The skid included close home losses to St. Louis, Kansas City and, most memorably on a Monday night, Chicago.

Green demoted offensive coordinator Keith Rowen after six games and replaced him with Mike Kruczek, one of many shakeups on his staff during his time with the Cardinals. Leinart replaced Kurt Warner after five games and showed great promise.

However, the team's fortunes didn't turn around until the coach finally settled on who should play on the offensive line. Arizona won four of its last seven but it was too little, too late.

Green was out of coaching after his decade with the Minnesota Vikings ended in 2001. He was lured back by a four-year, $10 million contract and the belief that Arizona was on the brink of becoming a successful team.

He made several moves that seemed to backfire, beginning with the abrupt release of offensive lineman Pete Kendall on the eve of his first training camp. In his first season, Green benched quarterback Josh McCown for Shaun King even though the team had won three of its last four. By the time McCown got the job back, the Cardinals had lost three straight.

Green's three teams in Arizona went 6-10, 5-11 and 5-11. He has a career NFL coaching record of 124-115.

Story Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2716484)

3afan
01-01-2007, 01:05 PM
its a tough business .....

ILS1
01-01-2007, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
its a tough business .....

It's even TOUGHER coaching the Cardinals!!! They haven't been good in a LONG time!!!!!!!

:eek: :eek:

LitanyofFury
01-01-2007, 01:08 PM
THEY ARE WHO WE THOUGHT THEY WERE!!!!

necks_c/09
01-02-2007, 01:40 AM
haha the cardinals suck.....just like my texans....feel the wrath....ne way i cant wait to see who else gets fired

neck_06
01-02-2007, 01:41 AM
i wonder who dennis green is going to blame now? it seems like with every loss he was blaming something or someone new.

necks_c/09
01-02-2007, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by neck_06
i wonder who dennis green is going to blame now? it seems like with every loss he was blaming something or someone new. how ironic dont ya think???

TexanAlum_06
01-02-2007, 02:03 AM
With the right coach, system and a good draft class or 2 and the cardinals will be a good team. they have the players to succeed and the right division to be playing in especially since seattle is starting to slide. IMO they are in the same boat as the Texans. They have the talent to compete, they just need that last 1 or 2 things to bring it all together. We shall see what happens next year.

Old Tiger
01-02-2007, 02:04 AM
The Cardinal's already have a lot of talent. They just need the right system. They need to think defensively this draft and pick up some good offensive line players through free agency.

HM33
01-02-2007, 02:05 AM
I think they have the players on offense already to be a pretty good team. Now I don't know about their D. So no comment on that.

TexanAlum_06
01-02-2007, 02:14 AM
I think they are pretty solid in the secondary. but I really dont know much about their front 7. I should go check them out on madden 07 to get a good idea. lol.

Old Tiger
01-02-2007, 02:15 AM
Front seven needs some work. Patrick Willis would be a good pick up for them.

Darren
01-02-2007, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
The Cardinal's already have a lot of talent. They just need the right system. They need to think defensively this draft and pick up some good offensive line players through free agency.

I agree the Offense is very talented. One of the best WR cores in the NFL, A once great RB and a good young QB.

They could be very good with a beefed up O-Line and Defense.

burnet44
01-02-2007, 10:05 AM
owner is killing em
sometime you have to cut off the head
to save the body
the bidwells only want money
the reason the cards will never win till they sell
which they wont
bidwell is like JJ
he will never sell
even though its good for the team

AggieJohn
01-02-2007, 10:51 AM
i hear the cardinals are talking to norm chow

LitanyofFury
01-02-2007, 12:34 PM
I hear that ole Pete Carroll is gonna be getting a call VERY soon.