PDA

View Full Version : Did We Expect Anything Else? (Terrell Owens)

Emerson1
12-31-2006, 11:57 PM
Did We Expect Anything Else?

Nick Eatman
DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer
December 29, 2006 5:21 PM

IRVING, Texas - Why are we surprised?

Isn't this what we wanted? This is what the Cowboys wanted. This is what the media wanted.

Terrell Owens is a story. He always has been, always will be and most importantly, always wants to be.

And guess what, the media wants it that way too.

That's why we sit in front of his locker room every Wednesday or Thursday, whatever day he decides to talk, and ask him dozens of questions about everything from his relationships with his teammates and coaches, to dropped passes, injured fingers and everything else we can think of.

That's why we ask Owens what he thinks about this, just hoping he might (and usually does) say something controversial so some media source can have another headline for the day.

Why, kicker Mike Vanderjagt gets released after Thanksgiving and no other player gets asked his opinion. But Owens is asked and he tells the truth. He questions the move and hopes it doesn't "come back to haunt us."

Well, that's no different than what any other player, coach or even the fans think. They just don't say it. Yet, Owens gets criticizes for speaking his mind. It's a total setup. The media plays the game and yet Owens falls for it every time.

Or is it the other way around?

Maybe Owens is the one playing the game, and knows the media will fall for everything he says.

Who knows, but there certainly are more games being played than the 16 that are on the schedule each weekend.

No one can say they weren't warned about this guy. The Cowboys, from the owner to the coaches and players, all knew what they were getting into. The fans knew what they were getting and even the media knew the baggage that comes along with this guy.

He's a great player, yes. He's a piece of work, yes. With all the good, you have to put up with the mess that surrounds him.

That's what we thought. That's what we've got.

Yes, I might be one of the biggest T.O. apologists around. I find myself defending Owens on a regular basis. And it's not just because I have a personal friendship with the guy at all. Other than shooting a few baskets with him the day before the Carolina game earlier this season, I haven't really said two words to him other than in the locker room for interviews.

But somehow, I'm just not buying this guy is that much of a problem.

Quick, name the two or three things you're worried about this team heading into the playoffs.

If you've been watching at all, you started out with defense - the secondary giving up big plays or the absence of the pass rush. Either way, the Cowboys are going downhill fast on that side of the ball.

That's the reason they haven't been winning games here lately. So what does T.O. have to do with that?

Sure, the offense hasn't been lights out for the entire month of December, and Owens is part of the problem. He's dropped some passes at key times, but he's made some clutch catches, too.

When I think of Owens' season this year, if anything, it's a wash.

Sure, he talks a lot. He's always got something going on with him outside of the actual game. Whether it was the hamstring injury in camp, or the stationary bike incident, or the accidental overdose, or the broken hand, the spitting incident with DeAngelo Hall, it's always something.

Something, but nothing huge. Nothing that has prevented him from playing. And to be honest, I wouldn't say any of those incidents have had major effects on his play, much less the rest of the team.

If anything, the broken hand and the latest torn tendon in his right ring finger, most definitely affects his ability to catch the ball.

But for some reason, nobody wants to hear about it. In fact, Owens doesn't really want to talk about it. He knows it's just an excuse no one wants to hear. And he's right, the fans and media; they don't want to give this guy the benefit of the doubt when it comes to playing with pain.

Actually, Owens said it best on Thursday.

"If it was anybody else gutting it out with the way my hand is, I'm guaranteeing you that they would be probably saying that he's a warrior, he's sucking it up for the team," Owens said. "But just because it's me, that's not going to be case. I understand that."

Think about it. No really, think about that.

True?

If Marvin Harrison was playing with a torn tendon in his finger, don't you think it would be some feel-good story on HBO's Inside the NFL or something like that? Doesn't even have to be Harrison, just anyone but Owens.

I admit, with all of his baggage, it's not easy sifting through some of the (insert your own noun if you'd like) stuff T.O. throws out there on a daily basis.

But if he's legitimately hurt, especially on the part of the body he needs the most to do his job, then it shouldn't just be disregarded so easily.

OK, how 'bout last week against the Eagles. Rookie receiver Miles Austin has a broken left hand, similar to what Owens had earlier this year. So Austin has the hand taped up and he's carrying the ball in his right arm, closest to the defense. Austin gets stripped and fumbles, and the Eagles recover.

Immediately, Austin gets a media pass:

"Well, his left hand is hurt so he has to carry the ball in his right hand and that's why he fumbled."

OK, so why doesn't Owens get that? And don't tell me because he gets paid $25 million. Money has nothing to do with injuries.

All I'm saying is, if the guy has a "jacked-up hand" as he calls it, then don't throw it out of the conversation. We all know if he decided to have the surgery, he'd be called a soft, selfish, can't-play-with-pain type of player who is simply stealing money from the Cowboys.

OK, so now that we've established some sort of injury, that leads us to the drops.

Sure, he drops more than the rest of the guys. He also catches more too. If you get more passes thrown your way, you're going to catch and drop more, right?

Michael Jordan missed more shots than most guys. Why do you think that is?

To me, I have a hard time criticizing a wide receiver who leads the NFL in touchdown catches. Isn't that the goal?

And I understand some of those touchdowns have come late in the game or turned out to be meaningless scores. The opportunities he's had to make game-changing plays haven't always gone his way.

There was the big drop pass against Washington that would've put the Cowboys up by two touchdowns. OK, and even though T.O. blamed the loss on himself, was that really the case? Did Owens lose the game, even though he scored a touchdown and caught seven passes for 76 yards? Seems like there was a missed field goal or something there at the end. But of course, Marc Colombo is a pretty nice guy. So let's just blame Owens.

He dropped a fourth-down pass against the Giants. Yeah, that was a big play. Of course, the Cowboys were still down 12 at the time, late in the third quarter. Owens also caught six for 96 yards and a touchdown in that game, one dominated by the Giants. But then, Owens took his share of blame for that one.

Ask yourself what you'd rather have - a guy who catches about 85 passes for 1,100 yards and 12 touchdowns, or a guy that catches every one of the passes that goes his way, but yet ends up with about 40 for 500 yards and about three scores. Because you've got that, too. His name is Patrick Crayton.

If you look closely, you'll see that Owens is just too easy of a target to pass up. So everyone takes their shots.

Terence Newman says people to need to stop talking and immediately everyone from ESPN to Jason Witten assume he's referring to Owens. As it turned out, Newman apparently pulled T.O. aside and told him it wasn't him he was referring to after all.

But then again, when in doubt, just blame T.O.

Because if we can blame this whole thing on T.O., then all of you who called him a cancer and a locker-room divider can say those three words that most of us live to shout on a daily basis: "I was right."

Everyone wants to be right. They want to say, "Told you. Told you T.O. would tear this apart like he did the 49ers and Eagles."

Well, here we are with one game to play and the Cowboys on the verge of a 10-6 season and a trip to the playoffs. Know it hurts to hear, but Owens hasn't torn this team part. He hasn't torn anything at all.

Other than a tendon in his finger. But of course, no one seems to care about that.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news.cfm?editorialAuthor=2&id=D0865FC4-92F3-C95C-044E3D49A26E59EF

Haunta Yo
01-01-2007, 01:09 AM
Like I said on 7/28:

Originally posted by Haunta Yo
I was born a Cowboys fan, but I hope WE LOSE EVERY GAME that this punk plays in.

People that want this piece to help "us" win games aren't Cowboy fans...how quickly bandwagoners forget...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uq4giZcz5fU

Clap for TO if you want to. As for me, I'm naming my first born George Teague.

football4life
01-01-2007, 03:42 AM
Originally posted by Haunta Yo
Like I said on 7/28:

uhh....ok. anyways, i have no problem with TO right now. it's frustrating when he drops those passes for sure. but he does make plays. i'm freakin sick of watching the pathetic excuse for a defense we throw out on the field every week. if we score 31 points and can't beat the damn lions, there's something wrong.

Bandera YaYa
01-01-2007, 04:16 AM
IMHO enough from TO lovers.....
:rolleyes:

theyoefnshow
01-01-2007, 09:28 AM
using TO as a scapegoat is wrong. like when the longhorns lost to kansas....blame snead all you want but he isn't the one that gave up a ridiculous amount of points. owens is an asset to the team and I think they would be crazy to let him go. he can't carry the team on his back.

Emerson1
01-01-2007, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Bandera YaYa
IMHO enough from TO lovers.....
:rolleyes:
What did you ever do to you? He spill your drink at the Koffe Kup Kafe?

:D

Macarthur
01-01-2007, 11:47 AM
As I have said from day one, he is a prima donna, but the media is partly to blam for blowing him out of proportion. He has been a realtively minor distraction this year, while quitely putting together one of the best seasons ever by a Cowboys WR.

I laugh at the Cowboy fans that say they will never watch a game and he tarnishes the franchise, blah, blah, blah....

What a crock. He's not even close to the worst human being to ever put on a Cowboys uniform. Prima donna, Yes! Terrible human, not so much.

And for you old timers that think Landry would have never put up with such an idiot....Anyone remember Hollywood Henderson snorting cocaine on the sidelines? How about Duane Thomas?

necks_c/09
01-01-2007, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Did We Expect Anything Else?

Nick Eatman
DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer
December 29, 2006 5:21 PM

IRVING, Texas - Why are we surprised?

Isn't this what we wanted? This is what the Cowboys wanted. This is what the media wanted.

Terrell Owens is a story. He always has been, always will be and most importantly, always wants to be.

And guess what, the media wants it that way too.

That's why we sit in front of his locker room every Wednesday or Thursday, whatever day he decides to talk, and ask him dozens of questions about everything from his relationships with his teammates and coaches, to dropped passes, injured fingers and everything else we can think of.

That's why we ask Owens what he thinks about this, just hoping he might (and usually does) say something controversial so some media source can have another headline for the day.

Why, kicker Mike Vanderjagt gets released after Thanksgiving and no other player gets asked his opinion. But Owens is asked and he tells the truth. He questions the move and hopes it doesn't "come back to haunt us."

Well, that's no different than what any other player, coach or even the fans think. They just don't say it. Yet, Owens gets criticizes for speaking his mind. It's a total setup. The media plays the game and yet Owens falls for it every time.

Or is it the other way around?

Maybe Owens is the one playing the game, and knows the media will fall for everything he says.

Who knows, but there certainly are more games being played than the 16 that are on the schedule each weekend.

No one can say they weren't warned about this guy. The Cowboys, from the owner to the coaches and players, all knew what they were getting into. The fans knew what they were getting and even the media knew the baggage that comes along with this guy.

He's a great player, yes. He's a piece of work, yes. With all the good, you have to put up with the mess that surrounds him.

That's what we thought. That's what we've got.

Yes, I might be one of the biggest T.O. apologists around. I find myself defending Owens on a regular basis. And it's not just because I have a personal friendship with the guy at all. Other than shooting a few baskets with him the day before the Carolina game earlier this season, I haven't really said two words to him other than in the locker room for interviews.

But somehow, I'm just not buying this guy is that much of a problem.

Quick, name the two or three things you're worried about this team heading into the playoffs.

If you've been watching at all, you started out with defense - the secondary giving up big plays or the absence of the pass rush. Either way, the Cowboys are going downhill fast on that side of the ball.

That's the reason they haven't been winning games here lately. So what does T.O. have to do with that?

Sure, the offense hasn't been lights out for the entire month of December, and Owens is part of the problem. He's dropped some passes at key times, but he's made some clutch catches, too.

When I think of Owens' season this year, if anything, it's a wash.

Sure, he talks a lot. He's always got something going on with him outside of the actual game. Whether it was the hamstring injury in camp, or the stationary bike incident, or the accidental overdose, or the broken hand, the spitting incident with DeAngelo Hall, it's always something.

Something, but nothing huge. Nothing that has prevented him from playing. And to be honest, I wouldn't say any of those incidents have had major effects on his play, much less the rest of the team.

If anything, the broken hand and the latest torn tendon in his right ring finger, most definitely affects his ability to catch the ball.

But for some reason, nobody wants to hear about it. In fact, Owens doesn't really want to talk about it. He knows it's just an excuse no one wants to hear. And he's right, the fans and media; they don't want to give this guy the benefit of the doubt when it comes to playing with pain.

Actually, Owens said it best on Thursday.

"If it was anybody else gutting it out with the way my hand is, I'm guaranteeing you that they would be probably saying that he's a warrior, he's sucking it up for the team," Owens said. "But just because it's me, that's not going to be case. I understand that."

Think about it. No really, think about that.

True?

If Marvin Harrison was playing with a torn tendon in his finger, don't you think it would be some feel-good story on HBO's Inside the NFL or something like that? Doesn't even have to be Harrison, just anyone but Owens.

I admit, with all of his baggage, it's not easy sifting through some of the (insert your own noun if you'd like) stuff T.O. throws out there on a daily basis.

But if he's legitimately hurt, especially on the part of the body he needs the most to do his job, then it shouldn't just be disregarded so easily.

OK, how 'bout last week against the Eagles. Rookie receiver Miles Austin has a broken left hand, similar to what Owens had earlier this year. So Austin has the hand taped up and he's carrying the ball in his right arm, closest to the defense. Austin gets stripped and fumbles, and the Eagles recover.

Immediately, Austin gets a media pass:

"Well, his left hand is hurt so he has to carry the ball in his right hand and that's why he fumbled."

OK, so why doesn't Owens get that? And don't tell me because he gets paid $25 million. Money has nothing to do with injuries.

All I'm saying is, if the guy has a "jacked-up hand" as he calls it, then don't throw it out of the conversation. We all know if he decided to have the surgery, he'd be called a soft, selfish, can't-play-with-pain type of player who is simply stealing money from the Cowboys.

OK, so now that we've established some sort of injury, that leads us to the drops.

Sure, he drops more than the rest of the guys. He also catches more too. If you get more passes thrown your way, you're going to catch and drop more, right?

Michael Jordan missed more shots than most guys. Why do you think that is?

To me, I have a hard time criticizing a wide receiver who leads the NFL in touchdown catches. Isn't that the goal?

And I understand some of those touchdowns have come late in the game or turned out to be meaningless scores. The opportunities he's had to make game-changing plays haven't always gone his way.

There was the big drop pass against Washington that would've put the Cowboys up by two touchdowns. OK, and even though T.O. blamed the loss on himself, was that really the case? Did Owens lose the game, even though he scored a touchdown and caught seven passes for 76 yards? Seems like there was a missed field goal or something there at the end. But of course, Marc Colombo is a pretty nice guy. So let's just blame Owens.

He dropped a fourth-down pass against the Giants. Yeah, that was a big play. Of course, the Cowboys were still down 12 at the time, late in the third quarter. Owens also caught six for 96 yards and a touchdown in that game, one dominated by the Giants. But then, Owens took his share of blame for that one.

Ask yourself what you'd rather have - a guy who catches about 85 passes for 1,100 yards and 12 touchdowns, or a guy that catches every one of the passes that goes his way, but yet ends up with about 40 for 500 yards and about three scores. Because you've got that, too. His name is Patrick Crayton.

If you look closely, you'll see that Owens is just too easy of a target to pass up. So everyone takes their shots.

Terence Newman says people to need to stop talking and immediately everyone from ESPN to Jason Witten assume he's referring to Owens. As it turned out, Newman apparently pulled T.O. aside and told him it wasn't him he was referring to after all.

But then again, when in doubt, just blame T.O.

Because if we can blame this whole thing on T.O., then all of you who called him a cancer and a locker-room divider can say those three words that most of us live to shout on a daily basis: "I was right."

Everyone wants to be right. They want to say, "Told you. Told you T.O. would tear this apart like he did the 49ers and Eagles."

Well, here we are with one game to play and the Cowboys on the verge of a 10-6 season and a trip to the playoffs. Know it hurts to hear, but Owens hasn't torn this team part. He hasn't torn anything at all.

Other than a tendon in his finger. But of course, no one seems to care about that.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news.cfm?editorialAuthor=2&id=D0865FC4-92F3-C95C-044E3D49A26E59EF

you have a crush on TO....thats ur problem

Emerson1
01-01-2007, 12:14 PM
And you just don't like him for no reason, what has he done to the cowboys that was a distraction and made them lose games? Nothing, but I doubt you even read the article or else you would realize the numerous valid points it makes.

necks_c/09
01-01-2007, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
And you just don't like him for no reason, what has he done to the cowboys that was a distraction and made them lose games? Nothing, but I doubt you even read the article or else you would realize the numerous valid points it makes.

actually i did read it.... and there are some very good points in there that i truly havn't thought about......

maybe its just b/c he loves the spotlight and the media gives it to him....im just tired of hearing him always having something to say....its gets old.

and the fact that i like Jeff Garcia and McNabb and he caused so much drama and distractions that those have just rubbed wrong on me....i just dont like him b/c of the neverending drama asscosiated and most of that is the press' fault for giving it to him.....

Im sorry and i will try to lay off and be more understanding.:)

Emerson1
01-01-2007, 12:28 PM
http://img58.imageshack.us/img58/4081/tozy3.jpg

That is the reason he always has something to say. He controls sports media. The media wants him on camera, because hate him or love him you will tune it to see what the latest TO "debacle" is.

3afan
01-01-2007, 12:41 PM
good article .......... and pretty much right on IMO

slpybear the bullfan
01-01-2007, 01:46 PM
ROFLMAO...

I have said many times that I think TO is an idiot.

But if anyone who watched that Lions game thinks that that TO had anything to do with the loss then they are not sane.

IT WAS A TERRIBLE DEFENSE THAT LOST THAT GAME. (With a little help from a rookie QB playing like a rookie.)

THE DEFENSE has been getting worse and worse and worse. They let the Lions score on their first three possessions. FIRST THREE. This with a team that has a banged up back up O Line. AUUGH.

slpybear

PS - I stuck around to watch Parcells, Romo, and TOs press confrences. One of them sounded like he was beyond repair and would bring the Team down. It wasn't the QB or WR.

Txbroadcaster
01-01-2007, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan
ROFLMAO...

I have said many times that I think TO is an idiot.

But if anyone who watched that Lions game thinks that that TO had anything to do with the loss then they are not sane.

IT WAS A TERRIBLE DEFENSE THAT LOST THAT GAME. (With a little help from a rookie QB playing like a rookie.)

THE DEFENSE has been getting worse and worse and worse. They let the Lions score on their first three possessions. FIRST THREE. This with a team that has a banged up back up O Line. AUUGH.

slpybear

PS - I stuck around to watch Parcells, Romo, and TOs press confrences. One of them sounded like he was beyond repair and would bring the Team down. It wasn't the QB or WR.

The 'rookie' QB completed 71% of his passes averaging 10 yards per attempt...Yes he had two fumbles, but he kept the team in the game with his arm and his playmaking ability.

Emerson1
01-01-2007, 01:51 PM
Cowboys got screwed by the refs, should of been 7-0 20 seconds into the game anyways

Cameron Crazy
01-01-2007, 02:00 PM
The D needs to step it up!

slpybear the bullfan
01-01-2007, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
The 'rookie' QB completed 71% of his passes averaging 10 yards per attempt...Yes he had two fumbles, but he kept the team in the game with his arm and his playmaking ability.

Yeah, perhaps we can commend ROMO for the effort. He did look pretty good most of the day. But he lost two fumbles at key junctures in the game, one due to floating in the pocket too long again. He dropped another one in the endzone that he got himself out of by a nift atheletic move.

I am definitely still on the ROMO bandwagon. But I do think he is a rookie and will still have rookie mistakes in games.

The defense on the other hand.... blech.

burnet44
01-01-2007, 03:53 PM
all that article is the media giving excuses for the media
just because they write it dont make it true
lol
kinda like on here?
lol