PDA

View Full Version : Random Drug Testing

ElMeroMero
06-26-2002, 09:58 AM
With all the steroids talk in baseball I was wondering if any schools are starting random drug testing in their athletic programs.

kaorder1999
06-26-2002, 10:18 AM
Honestly, most schools wouldnot be able to afford it. While its affordable to test for marijuana and other illegal narcotics, its VERY expensive to test someone for steroids. Not sure if schools would spend that extra money!

sinton66
06-26-2002, 11:04 AM
He may be referring to the story I heard that the UIL is considering requiring this testing. I am against it. It definitely is expensive, and I don't know too many school districts that could afford it. Frankly,it sounds like the UIL is starting to get a little "too big for their britches". I am not an advocate for any drug usage, but I hear there are legitimate uses for steroids.

[This message has been edited by sinton66 (edited June 26, 2002).]

ElMeroMero
06-27-2002, 07:52 PM
No I was actually referring to Barbers Hill bc they are starting the random tests this upcoming school year. I did hear bout the UIL considering the tests and it doesnt look like it will happen any time soon but I do think it could have an impact on hs sports.

sinton66
06-27-2002, 07:55 PM
There is one small legal thing they need to keep in mind, high schoolers are minors. If the parents object, I don't see how the school/UIL could do this legally.

[This message has been edited by sinton66 (edited June 27, 2002).]

bearcat1
06-27-2002, 08:10 PM
as far as the parents objecting and the kids being minors...the difference is that athletics is a voluntary school activity. It is not a required course. Therefore, they can ask/expect you to participate in random drug testing if that is part of the stipulations to being in athletics, just like saying you are required to attend practice, you are required to wear a helmet....If you or your parents object to any of the requirements or expectations of the course (athletics), then you simply don't participate in it. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think that's the way that reads.

bearcat1
06-27-2002, 08:11 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by bearcat1:
[B]The school can do it legally because athletics is a voluntary school activity. It is not a required course and you are not obligated to participate in it. Therefore, they can ask/expect you to undergo random drug testing; just like saying you are required to attend practice, you are required to wear a helmet....If you or your parents object to any of the requirements or expectations of the course (athletics), then you simply don't participate in it.

QBKilla
06-27-2002, 10:06 PM
Exactly. Nicely said bearcat1. I don't think Barbers Hill is going to be testing for steroids though. Like yall have stated earlier it is simply too expensive. They will of course test for other illegal substances such as marijuana and other wide spread drugs. I think the testing is a good thing and should be put into effect in other schools throughout the state. It not only catches the people that do use drugs but is also able to prevent kids from ever starting.

sinton66
06-28-2002, 10:10 AM
You folks may be right, but seems to me they would be asking for trouble if they single out just the atheletes. I would think it would have to be school wide, and not JUST the students either. Believe they would lose that argument in a class action lawsuit. I'm no lawyer, so that's just a guess.

kaorder1999
06-28-2002, 10:22 AM
We reported on this topic on our morning show this morning....its actually anyone who is invloved in ANY extra-curricular activity whether it be band, chess, football, baseball, or cheerleading. Not just athletes!!

Jacket2000
06-28-2002, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by sinton66:
You folks may be right, but seems to me they would be asking for trouble if they single out just the atheletes. I would think it would have to be school wide, and not JUST the students either. Believe they would lose that argument in a class action lawsuit. I'm no lawyer, so that's just a guess.

Nope, it would be much easier to single out athletes or those who participate in extra-curricular activities. This has been fought before, and the court rulled that participating in extra-curricular activities is a privllage.
J2K

QBKilla
06-28-2002, 01:50 PM
Even though there are some kids that take part in illegal drug use in extra curricular activities, the majority of them are just regular students with little or no conformity in their lives. Even though I don't think it will ever get passed; I think thats the way it should be.

bearcat1
06-28-2002, 01:55 PM
Once again, it is a rivelege to participate in any extra curricular activity, and you are not compelled to do it. So no law suit will affect that.You simply can't sue someone for something you aren't required to participate in. That is what makes the whole thing still considered to be 'free choice'...you have the free choice NOT to suit up.
bc

Originally posted by sinton66:

SintonFan
06-28-2002, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999:
We reported on this topic on our morning show this morning....its actually anyone who is invloved in ANY extra-curricular activity whether it be band, chess, football, baseball, or cheerleading. Not just athletes!!

LOL....
You've got to be kidding. There must be alot of tuba players doing 'roids because they need 'that little extra air' to hit that low B flat. Or maybe the drummers can't make enough noise (yeah, like that's a given) so they gotta beef up their forearms. This has got to be stranger than fiction. I don't think I've laughed this hard since Matt posted his take on the Cardinals. Jeez... what's next, banning "The Pledge of Allegiance"?

[This message has been edited by SintonFan (edited June 28, 2002).]

ElMeroMero
06-28-2002, 05:12 PM
Lol I dont where kaorder came up with that but BH is only testing the athletes and cheerleaders because those are the only activities they can test for right now but who knows it might end up being all activities.

Matthew328
06-28-2002, 06:36 PM
Hey what was wrong with my preview of Bridge City?? LOL

bearcat1
06-29-2002, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by ElMeroMero:
Lol I dont where kaorder came up with that but BH is only testing the athletes and cheerleaders because those are the only activities they can test for right now but who knows it might end up being all activities.

Actually, the Supreme Court passed a ruling stating that random drug testing can be extended to include students involved in any extra-curricular activities. Just FYI.

SintonFan
06-29-2002, 04:59 PM
Matt, there was nothing wrong with your take on BC. It's just the response I knew it would get. I will try to behave when you get to Sinton, hehe.

Matthew328
06-29-2002, 06:57 PM
LOL I figured that is what it was...LOL