PDA

View Full Version : Michael Jordan & Wife To Divorce After 17 Years Together

ILS1
12-29-2006, 09:59 PM
CHICAGO (AP) -- Michael Jordan and his wife, Juanita, divorced Friday after 17 years of marriage.

"Michael and Juanita Jordan mutually and amicably decided to end their 17 year marriage," the couple said in a statement issued through their lawyers. "A judgment for dissolution of their marriage was entered today. There will be no further statements."

Michael Jordan's lawyer, Frederick J. Sperling, declined comment.

But in court documents filed Friday with the Lake County Circuit Court, the couple said "irreconcilable differences have caused an irretrievable breakdown of the marriage." The couple said attempts to reconcile their marriage had failed and future ones "would be impractical and not in the best interests of the family."

Juanita Jordan previously filed for divorce in January 2002, but withdrew her petition a month later when the couple announced they were attempting a reconciliation.

The couple met at a Chicago restaurant during his second season with the Bulls and were married Sept. 2, 1989, in Las Vegas. They have three children: Jeffrey, 18, Marcus, 16, and Jasmine, 14.

Michael Jordan, 43, lives in Chicago; Juanita Jordan, 47, lives in Highland Park, Ill.

The Jordans, who have lived separately since February, will share custody of their children, according to court documents.

"The co-petitioners acknowledge that although their marriage is ending, they desire to resolve all of the issues surrounding the dissolution of marriage in the most amicable, expeditious and private fashion possible, for the benefit of themselves and their children," the documents read.

Jordan, a part-owner of the Charlotte Bobcats, led the Bulls to six NBA titles and was a five-time league MVP.

Story Link (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-michaeljordan-divorce&prov=ap&type=lgns)

tigerpride_08
12-29-2006, 10:45 PM
i wonder how much money she'll end up with...

neck_06
12-29-2006, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by tigerpride_08
i wonder how much money she'll end up with...

too much...

GreenMonster
12-29-2006, 11:10 PM
the Nike money alone is astronomical.

Matthew328
12-29-2006, 11:14 PM
she'll get way more than she deserves..that's why if you ever get rich you should not ever get married...

ILS1
12-29-2006, 11:19 PM
"We want pre-nup!!!"-Kayne West

:D :D :D

neck_06
12-30-2006, 12:05 AM
she is going to get half and he will STILL be rich!!!

Bandera YaYa
12-30-2006, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by Matthew328
she'll get way more than she deserves..that's why if you ever get rich you should not ever get married... Why do you say that?? That's a pretty chauvanistic (sp) thing to say! :mad:

Emerson1
12-30-2006, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by Bandera YaYa
Why do you say that?? That's a pretty chauvanistic (sp) thing to say! :mad:
Because she hasn't done anything to make the income as high at it is.

Bandera YaYa
12-30-2006, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Because she hasn't done anything to make the income as high at it is. You're just a kid...you know nothing, so shush

Emerson1
12-30-2006, 12:21 AM
Why should she get millions and millions of dollars? She should only get the amount the amount of money she earned during the manage and maybe a little more.

It's like Kfed wanting 20 million upfront plus money every year from brittany spears, he doesn't deserve it.

Bandera YaYa
12-30-2006, 12:23 AM
Why should she get millions and millions of dollars? She should only get the amount the amount of money she earned during the manage and maybe a little more.

It's like Kfed wanting 20 million upfront plus money every year from brittany spears, he doesn't deserve it. Shame on you....show what you said to your mom.....I hope she wacks you on your head!!! :mad: :p

SintonFan
12-30-2006, 12:25 AM
This is the best country in the world. A divorce in other countries might get you stoned to death. It's not perfect but since a couple is considered equal in the eyes of the law, it is what it is. Sometimes it doesn't seem fair, but it's the best we now have.

Bandera YaYa
12-30-2006, 12:25 AM

It's like Kfed wanting 20 million upfront plus money every year from brittany spears, he doesn't deserve it. Duh, K-Fed and Brit weren't married that long.....use your brain there boy! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Bandera YaYa
12-30-2006, 12:27 AM
I swear, I sometimes just don't know who raised ya'll.......!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

pirate4state
12-30-2006, 04:00 AM
Originally posted by Matthew328
she'll get way more than she deserves..that's why if you ever get rich you should not ever get married...

true....true....that's why you always protect yourself with a pre-nup!!

I always loved Eddie Murphy's rant on the Raw concert about Johnny Carson's wife taking half!!! ROFL!!

I hate that whole "maintain the lifestyle I'm accustomed to crap" :rolleyes: Please, spare me!

ILS1
12-30-2006, 09:22 AM
I hate that whole "maintain the lifestyle I'm accustomed to crap"

Well,she's 47 now. They were married for 17 years. What kinda lifestyle did she maintain the PREVIOUS 30 years??? Hummmmmmmmmm!!!!

:D :D :D

luvhoops34
12-30-2006, 09:32 AM
Pulease! She is ENTITLED to half! She was married to him for 17 years and has three kids by him. Who do you think raised them and took care of the house while he was off playing basketball, baseball, golf and being part owner of the Washington Wizards????? SHE DID! Plus, he had numerous affairs on her and she stuck with him.

Besides what kind of moron would want to leave the mother of his three children, who he will have joint custody with, destitute??? Duh.....That would really make your nearly grown kids happy wouldn't it??? They're living with their mother in a hovel all because you are too greedy to share your immense fortune. Then they would see why she wanted to divorce you in the first place.

He'll never miss that money, and if you get married without a pre nup then too bad. That's just how the cookie crumbles.

3afan
12-30-2006, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by Bandera YaYa
I swear, I sometimes just don't know who raised ya'll.......!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

careful ....................

you're right of course about the issue, but be careful how you vent - please, ma'am ...

Bandera YaYa
12-30-2006, 10:13 AM
[\COLOR] :thinking:Well , then you tell my why the dismissal of the mother of his three kids...does everyone think she's just chopped liver just cuz he was the "star"? Sounds like she's being given no credit here....so tell me...plus I haven't seen anything written or said by her, about how much she wants or is asking for. :thinking: ALSO, they were married for a long time and if she was a gold digger, like so many of you think, she would have taken him for everything a long time ago.....come on, use your heads here! :rolleyes:

ILS1
12-30-2006, 10:36 AM
Who do you think raised them and took care of the house while he was off playing basketball, baseball, golf and being part owner of the Washington Wizards?????

Uh Pulease!!!!!!! If it WASN'T for his basketball,baseball & being part owner of the Wizards they wouldn't have the money for her to live "her kinda lifestyle"!!! Plus,I'm forgetting about the endorsements he got for being the greatest basketball player alive today!!! Nike,McDonalds,Hanes...............the list goes on and on. He made so much money they could've hired a nanny and she could've gone back to waitressing. "Uh, honey. Here's the $52 dollars in tip money I got today. Put that on top of the $42 million in endorsements you made today. So,WE made $42 million and 52 dollars today" Again.......... UH PULEAZE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Bandera YaYa
12-30-2006, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by ILS1
Uh Pulease!!!!!!! If it WASN'T for his basketball,baseball & being part owner of the Wizards they wouldn't have the money for her to live "her kinda lifestyle"!!! Plus,I'm forgetting about the endorsements he got for being the greatest basketball player alive today!!! Nike,McDonalds,Hanes...............the list goes on and on. He made so much money they could've hired a nanny and she could've gone back to waitressing. "Uh, honey. Here's the $52 dollars in tip money I got today. Put that on top of the $42 million in endorsements you made today. So,WE made $42 million and 52 dollars today" Again.......... UH PULEAZE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:eek: :eek: :eek: Shame, shame, shame.......you dont' get it......blah......love the way ya'll are sooooooo into him and his super stardom and how you can ignore the fact she is the wife, mother of his children, so she doesn't count.....shame on you all. No wonder there is such a high divorce rate with the way ya'll see things...... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: But here's the good news.....he's sooooo rich he can get a high powered attorney who can make sure she is back waitressing......now that will feel good, right????

Aesculus gilmus
12-30-2006, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
This is the best country in the world. A divorce in other countries might get you stoned to death.

From whose perspective? From the male perspective, it appears to me that the emir of Kuwait has a pretty good thing going. Every Thursday he procures a new virgin from the countryside, consummates the marriage that night and next morning says "I divorce you" three times as required by Islamic law.

Then he has his other three permanent wives, of course. But there again, all he has to do is say "I divorce you" three times to any one of them and she's outta there.

pirate4state
12-30-2006, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by luvhoops34
Pulease! She is ENTITLED to half! She was married to him for 17 years and has three kids by him. Who do you think raised them and took care of the house while he was off playing basketball, baseball, golf and being part owner of the Washington Wizards????? SHE DID! Plus, he had numerous affairs on her and she stuck with him.

Besides what kind of moron would want to leave the mother of his three children, who he will have joint custody with, destitute??? Duh.....That would really make your nearly grown kids happy wouldn't it??? They're living with their mother in a hovel all because you are too greedy to share your immense fortune. Then they would see why she wanted to divorce you in the first place.

He'll never miss that money, and if you get married without a pre nup then too bad. That's just how the cookie crumbles.

I'm sorry, but she is not ENTITLED just b/c she was a mother. :rolleyes: THEY made that decision to have children. AND if "he had numerous affairs and she stuck with him" why do you think she did??? MONEY!!! I'm sure after every indiscretion she got a little baubble. SHE didn't have to stay; she could have done like any other self respecting women would do and kick his ass to the crub AND then take all his money!!! :devil: :D :D

Sure, she deserves some compensentation, but HALF??? I would feel the same way if SHE were the primary earner.

Divorce is just an ugly thing. I've seen way too many in the short amount of time I've been working for this attorney.

But you are right luvs he should have had a pre-nup!!

Maroon87
12-30-2006, 01:50 PM
She's entitled to a pretty nice settlement, but half of what he owns or is worth? No way.

She wouldn't be who she is if he weren't who he is.

And for the record, ladies, I'd say the same thing if the roles were reversed.

;)

pirate4state
12-30-2006, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
She's entitled to a pretty nice settlement, but half of what he owns or is worth? No way.

She wouldn't be who she is if he weren't who he is.

And for the record, ladies, I'd say the same thing if the roles were reversed.

;)

and that's all I'm saying too....

Bandera YaYa
12-31-2006, 01:53 AM
Has there been any proof of her asking for half of anything????? And is it any of our business what she gets?? It won't be any skin off your backs.....So many of ya'll so quick to condemn her.....I'll say it again , shame, shame, shame.......AND I'd say the same thing, if the roles were reversed, too! Marriage is a partnership, 50/50. AND if I were a betting person , I'd bet SHE endured alot more pain and misery being married to him then him, her....but just my opinion.

Alaska cat
12-31-2006, 03:03 AM
marriage is the screwing you get for the screwing you got..

.in this case it is probably a lack of her putting out...at that age that is the norm...

men can endure a lot but somethings they just need...like beer, sex and football..cut out any one of them...and Houston..we have a problem:)

I think they call that irreconsilable differences

SintonFan
12-31-2006, 03:20 AM
Originally posted by Aesculus gilmus
From whose perspective? From the male perspective, it appears to me that the emir of Kuwait has a pretty good thing going. Every Thursday he procures a new virgin from the countryside, consummates the marriage that night and next morning says "I divorce you" three times as required by Islamic law.

Then he has his other three permanent wives, of course. But there again, all he has to do is say "I divorce you" three times to any one of them and she's outta there.
From MY perspective. You can go live somewhere else if it sits you. Go with the anti-American crowd and move to France or Iran please? Since you seem to want to tear down this country because you have a problem with our President, why don't you join that crowd in your earnest feeling that we as a country must suck. Why do you become compelled when someone says something nice about this country( which happens to be the best country out there) to play Devil's advocate.. Did you dispute my point? I can't tell...:doh:

Pudlugger
12-31-2006, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by luvhoops34

:clap: :clap: :clap: MJ will do the right thing and she will get her share of the pie. MJ will always have way more money than he needs. Besides, if he does the right thing it only makes his brand name more valuable. If he stiffs her he will lose face and tarnish his image as a sportsman and hero. I'm sure he wants the best for his children and will take care of his ex-wife as well. The lawyers will do all right too.:D

Pudlugger
12-31-2006, 10:21 AM

Sick:eek:

Aesculus gilmus
12-31-2006, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by SintonFan
From MY perspective. You can go live somewhere else if it sits you. Go with the anti-American crowd and move to France or Iran please? Since you seem to want to tear down this country because you have a problem with our President, why don't you join that crowd in your earnest feeling that we as a country must suck. Why do you become compelled when someone says something nice about this country( which happens to be the best country out there) to play Devil's advocate.. Did you dispute my point? I can't tell...:doh:

Feeling a little defensive, are we? The marriage I described is of one of our "best" allies, the emir of Kuwait. It has nothing to do with France or Iran. There is nothing nice to be said about divorce. It is not a nice idea. It is sometimes the lesser of two evils. I'm not taking up for it.

As for the President, his father received millions of dollars in gifts from that same "sick" emir of Kuwait in the early 1990s after GHW Bush literally saved his @$$ with our soldiers. 30 percent of you will always defend anything anyone named Bush does. This has nothing to do with America, only with one dynastic political family.

Pudlugger
12-31-2006, 11:23 AM
Feeling a little defensive, are we? The marriage I described is of one of our "best" allies, the emir of Kuwait. It has nothing to do with France or Iran. There is nothing nice to be said about divorce. It is not a nice idea. It is sometimes the lesser of two evils. I'm not taking up for it.

As for the President, his father received millions of dollars in gifts from that same "sick" emir of Kuwait in the early 1990s after GHW Bush literally saved his @$$ with our soldiers. 30 percent of you will always defend anything anyone named Bush does. This has nothing to do with America, only with one dynastic political family.

BDS: Bush Derangment Syndrome

That's the impetus for this libel.:rolleyes:

Txbroadcaster
12-31-2006, 01:35 PM
Some of you amaze me...You assume she is out to get half and is looking to take as much as she can.

Ask MJ was it is more precious to him, his titles, accolades, money, or kids?

Yes she is ENTITLED to part of his money. Raising three kids is a job, and she did not take the easy route like alot of rich moms and hire a nanny to raise the kids. It is not like they were married for 2 years. They were married 17 years, she earned some equity in that.

I am a divorced dad, and while My ex wife and I did not make it, She is the mother of my child and I will always respect that.

SintonFan
12-31-2006, 01:54 PM

I'll always defend the good ole U S of A. The fact that we can talk about darn near anything in this country is proof of just how great we are. I think many of us take for granted our freedoms. I suspected you would tie in Bush somewheres in that post so I responded with that in mind. 25 percent of you will call for Bush's head no matter what he does.:D
I'm tempted to ask what your attitude was toward this country from say... '93 to maybe(let me throw out a random number lol) early '01. ;)
But I digress, the reason for my intitial post was to call into light that our justice system, while not perfect, is the best around. :clap: