PDA

View Full Version : Don't Be a Lemming

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
12-29-2006, 11:25 AM
You might be a lemming if: you use the expressiong t.u., refuse to call it the University of Texas, or refer to one of the Longhorn players as "Cart" McCoy, etc.

You might be a lemming if: you use this incorrect spelling of aggy, give A&M stereotypes about sheep, etc.

If you do this or anything similiar to this, you might just be a lemming. Don't be a lemming.

JJ7997
12-29-2006, 11:26 AM
Well said.

rundoe
12-29-2006, 11:32 AM
So now I have to learn to spell and type, darn

Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
You might be a lemming if: you use the expressiong t.u., refuse to call it the University of Texas, or refer to one of the Longhorn players as "Cart" McCoy, etc.

You might be a lemming if: you use this incorrect spelling of aggy, give A&M stereotypes about sheep, etc.

If you do this or anything similiar to this, you might just be a lemming. Don't be a lemming.

Adidas410s
12-29-2006, 11:47 AM
you forgot to mention this other alternate "aggie" spelllings...

aggsy
faggies
etc

3afan
12-29-2006, 01:59 PM

doesnt make sense :: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/lemming

big daddy russ
12-29-2006, 02:03 PM
nm

3afan
12-29-2006, 02:16 PM
:crazy1:

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
12-29-2006, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
doesnt make sense :: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/lemming

Lemmings drown so often in their migrations because they are followers, and if one of them falls off a cliff into a river, all of them follow, even though what they are doing is stupid.

LitanyofFury
12-29-2006, 03:29 PM
Maybe you were being a "lemming" by believing the myths about lemmings and using them for your post.

Lemmings Don't Commit Mass Suicide (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemming)

Lemming populations go through rapid growths and subsequent crashes that have entered popular consciousness as a supposedly "widespread" phenomenon, first noted in an encyclopaedia in 1908 but famously promulgated by the Walt Disney Pictures film, White Wilderness. White Wilderness depicted a mass suicide using staged footage of a dozen or so tame lemmings purposely driven into the sea. Based on this myth, the term "lemming" is often used in slang to denote those who mindlessly follow the crowd, even if destruction is the result.

In fact, the behavior of lemmings is much the same as that of many other rodents which have periodic population booms and then disperse in all directions, seeking the food and shelter that their natural habitat cannot provide. The actual reason for their 'suicide' deaths is because lemmings have poor eyesight and cannot distinguish a small river, which they can easily cross, from a fjord, in which they will almost surely drown.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
12-29-2006, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by LitanyofFury
Maybe you were being a "lemming" by believing the myths about lemmings and using them for your post.

Lemmings Don't Commit Mass Suicide (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemming)

Lemming populations go through rapid growths and subsequent crashes that have entered popular consciousness as a supposedly "widespread" phenomenon, first noted in an encyclopaedia in 1908 but famously promulgated by the Walt Disney Pictures film, White Wilderness. White Wilderness depicted a mass suicide using staged footage of a dozen or so tame lemmings purposely driven into the sea. Based on this myth, the term "lemming" is often used in slang to denote those who mindlessly follow the crowd, even if destruction is the result.

In fact, the behavior of lemmings is much the same as that of many other rodents which have periodic population booms and then disperse in all directions, seeking the food and shelter that their natural habitat cannot provide. The actual reason for their 'suicide' deaths is because lemmings have poor eyesight and cannot distinguish a small river, which they can easily cross, from a fjord, in which they will almost surely drown.

Maybe you're a lemming for believing the people who say that lemmings have poor eyesight. :thinking:

We can go 'round and around, but you got the idea, I'm sure. I'm just flattered that you would go through all of the trouble to prove me wrong. :cool:

3afan
12-29-2006, 03:44 PM
Lemmings drown so often in their migrations because they are followers, and if one of them falls off a cliff into a river, all of them follow, even though what they are doing is stupid.

thanks - you won me $5 !!!!! :thumbsup:

LitanyofFury
12-29-2006, 03:45 PM
Maybe you're a lemming for believing the people who say that lemmings have poor eyesight. :thinking:

We can go 'round and around, but you got the idea, I'm sure. I'm just flattered that you would go through all of the trouble to prove me wrong. :cool:

Maybe it's a lot of trouble for an Aggie to go to Wikipedia and type in lemming, for most normal people it's fairly easy research.:p

And why would lemmings having poor eyesight be such an outrageous thing? Lotsa animals have poor eyesight. I'm not a biologist or scientist, so in this case I'll defer to the experts.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
12-29-2006, 03:51 PM
Maybe it's a lot of trouble for an Aggie to go to Wikipedia and type in lemming, for most normal people it's fairly easy research.:p

And why would lemmings having poor eyesight be such an outrageous thing? Lotsa animals have poor eyesight. I'm not a biologist or scientist, so in this case I'll defer to the experts.

But the experts are contradicting each other, so it is my person choice on which ones I want to believe. At least I didn't have to go to Wikipedia to search about lemmings to know what I knew. :p

carter08
12-29-2006, 03:52 PM
West... I mean LitanyOf Fury

You do know that Wikipedia is the most inaccurate website you can find

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
12-29-2006, 03:52 PM
thanks - you won me $5 !!!!! :thumbsup:

How did I do that?

Dogman_1969
12-29-2006, 04:10 PM

I must admit that I have been a lemming before and I'll try real hard not to be a lemming again.........

\m/ Hookem \m/

LitanyofFury
12-29-2006, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by carter08
West... I mean LitanyOf Fury

You do know that Wikipedia is the most inaccurate website you can find

Um, no. . .I'd guess internet message boards are the most inaccurate websites you can find. Wikipedia is overseen by people that check and regulate what is posted. Sorry, I just don't see too many people going on to Wikipedia to lie or post erroneous information about lemmings.

Also. . .since when are the experts contradicting each other? They said the lemming population goes through changes like every other rodent species. Sometimes they fall in the drink because they can't tell it isn't fordable. The people from Disney watched one specific incident where lemmings fell into the water and drowned and then made a Disney movie out of it. Is that your idea of experts?:confused:

Also, the WestTX stuff is old. If you and others wanna keep it up I'll report it to Matt under harrassment.:thumbsup:

carter08
12-29-2006, 04:52 PM
Um, no. . .I'd guess internet message boards are the most inaccurate websites you can find. Wikipedia is overseen by people that check and regulate what is posted. Sorry, I just don't see too many people going on to Wikipedia to lie or post erroneous information about lemmings.

Also, the WestTX stuff is old. If you and others wanna keep it up I'll report it to Matt under harrassment.:thumbsup:

Anybody can edit what is posted on Wikipedia

Go ahead
Report me

Old Tiger
12-29-2006, 04:52 PM
Wiki has gotten better.

big daddy russ
12-29-2006, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
Wiki has gotten better.
Maybe, but a prof would never let you use it for legit research.

carter08
12-29-2006, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Maybe, but a prof would never let you use it for legit research.

My US History Proffesor told us that if Turnitin.com detects anything from wikipedia, she will give us an F.

Turnitin.com is ineffective. I got an A on my last paper

LitanyofFury
12-29-2006, 05:16 PM
Funny, buddies of mine from UT say they use Wiki all the time and that it is encouraged for your 1-2 internet sources. Of course most of your sources are from books, scientific articles, etc.

And its done carter.

carter08
12-29-2006, 05:18 PM

And its done carter.

Thank You Sir

BreckTxLonghorn
12-29-2006, 05:33 PM
Is the Discovery Channel count as credible?

http://dsc.discovery.com/news/afp/20031027/lemmings.html

It's amazing what you can find by googling "discovery channel lemmings'. Took me 2 minutes, and I believe it settles the debate. Just curious, BBDE, where did you get your contradictory information on lemmings that you took instead of wiki?

IMO, wikipedia is a great site. If you've ever read Thomas Friedman's book, "The World is Flat," it talks about how 'pedia is so effective due to 2 reasons: 1) every change is noted in a server in which the people who ran it can verify to make sure its accurate/neutral Point of view, and 2) so many people use it, that there's usually one person checking an entry that sees an inaccuracy and corrects it. It's not perfect, but it works. My professors always suggested using Wikipedia as a source of information, as long as it wasn't the main source.

Seriously, the WTL to LOF thing should be over. The issue was settled last week. Even if you still think so, move on.

Lastly, I think the intent of this thread was great. Maybe lemming isn't the best word, but classless, disrespectful, or (an) idiot would suffice perfectly as a substitute.

3afan
12-29-2006, 05:37 PM
How did I do that?

a bet on your response ... thx again! :p

LitanyofFury
12-29-2006, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn

It's amazing what you can find by googling "discovery channel lemmings'. Took me 2 minutes, and I believe it settles the debate. Just curious, BBDE, where did you get your contradictory information on lemmings that you took instead of wiki?

IMO, wikipedia is a great site. If you've ever read Thomas Friedman's book, "The World is Flat," it talks about how 'pedia is so effective due to 2 reasons: 1) every change is noted in a server in which the people who ran it can verify to make sure its accurate/neutral Point of view, and 2) so many people use it, that there's usually one person checking an entry that sees an inaccuracy and corrects it. It's not perfect, but it works. My professors always suggested using Wikipedia as a source of information, as long as it wasn't the main source.

Seriously, the WTL to LOF thing should be over. The issue was settled last week. Even if you still think so, move on.

Lastly, I think the intent of this thread was great. Maybe lemming isn't the best word, but classless, disrespectful, or (an) idiot would suffice perfectly as a substitute.

Thanks Breck! Wiki is a great source of info for anything you'd like to look up, not just lemmings. If I'm ever interested in learning about something I usually go there first. It isn't going to make you an expert on whatever you look up, but it gives a good summary of the topic and relevant info.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
12-29-2006, 06:46 PM
a bet on your response ... thx again! :p

Who did you bet, and what did the other person think I was going to say?

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
12-29-2006, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn

My chemistry teacher my sophomore year told us about lemmings. Smart guy, qualified Who Wants to Be a Millionaire but never made the hot seat.

bulldogman06
12-29-2006, 06:51 PM
I want a pet lemming

BreckTxLonghorn
12-29-2006, 07:28 PM
My chemistry teacher my sophomore year told us about lemmings. Smart guy, qualified Who Wants to Be a Millionaire but never made the hot seat.

They must have asked a question about lemmings. :D

3afan
12-29-2006, 07:41 PM
Who did you bet, and what did the other person think I was going to say?

don't matter !$! :devil: