PDA

View Full Version : Kinne to be a Longhorn???

Sftball4Life
12-29-2006, 10:27 AM
Smoaky.com is reporting that GJ Kinne has withdrawn his commitment to Baylor and made a new one to Texas.

http://www.dallasblog.com/david-mcnabbs-high-school-spor/

Funk-d-fied
12-29-2006, 10:27 AM
yeah, it's already posted on orangebloods....

charlesrixey
12-29-2006, 10:29 AM
Rivals has it posted in their paid subscription portion---

it's official, although i was skeptical at first

GJ Kinne has in fact de-committed from Baylor and will go to Texas

Phil C
12-29-2006, 10:29 AM
:)

JasperDog94
12-29-2006, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by charlesrixey
GJ Kinne has in fact de-committed from Baylor and will go to Texas :dispntd:

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
12-29-2006, 10:55 AM
I guess some people will be happy that Kinne can't be a man of his word. If you say you're going to do something and make a commitment to something, then do it.

JasperDog94
12-29-2006, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
If you say you're going to do something and make a commitment to something, then do it. true

charlesrixey
12-29-2006, 11:03 AM
As a longhorn fan, i'd like to say i'm happy, but Baylor needs Kinne a whole lot more than we do, and i've always wished baylor well

I wish he would have stayed, for the Bear's sake

LitanyofFury
12-29-2006, 11:06 AM
If the kid can fix his attitude and whatnot then I suppose having him along will help. Still, I'd rather have seen the Horns pick up someone else to fill their QB needs.

Centexhorn
12-29-2006, 11:06 AM
As a longhorn fan, i'd like to say i'm happy, but Baylor needs Kinne a whole lot more than we do, and i've always wished baylor well

I wish he would have stayed, for the Bear's sake

Same here Charles.

charlesrixey
12-29-2006, 12:37 PM
Who does Baylor have at the QB position for next year now?

kaorder1999
12-29-2006, 12:40 PM
he's put his dad in an uncomfortable position i bet!

Aesculus gilmus
12-29-2006, 12:42 PM
On the thread that was locked, someone accused Kinne of throwing a flag at an official.

I believe I recall the incident in question. It was from Canton's 2005 quarterfinal game against Tatum, but it was not Kinne who threw the flag back at the official. It was his buddy, WR Houston Tuminello.

Adidas410s
12-29-2006, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
he's put his dad in an uncomfortable position i bet!
yep...cuz you know Baylor brought him in under the assumption that Jr would follow! ;)

kaorder1999
12-29-2006, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
yep...cuz you know Baylor brought him in under the assumption that Jr would follow! ;)

well Kinne Sr. is also supposed to be a great recruiter and if you cant keep your own son committed then something's wrong...oh well...

Funk-d-fied
12-29-2006, 12:58 PM
I can see Guy Morris and his face just starring down Sr......

JasperDog94
12-29-2006, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by Funk-d-fied
I can see Guy Morris and his face just starring down Sr...... Or callin Sr. into his office the next day. That would not be a fun meeting.:helpme: :helpme:

sahen
12-29-2006, 09:48 PM
kinne jr. hurt baylor more by doing this than by just saying no thanks in the first place....he brought some recruits w/ him that are now going to decommit....such is the life of a baylor fan, people just keep kicking you once ur down so that you cant get back up again

Old Tiger
12-29-2006, 10:10 PM
I guess some people will be happy that Kinne can't be a man of his word. If you say you're going to do something and make a commitment to something, then do it. Oh well you nor I have ever been in the situation. How do we know what is best for that player? We don't and it is their decision and should be to their best ineterest on where they will live for the next four to five years.

burnet44
12-29-2006, 10:24 PM
i wouldnt take him
he is another sneed
here is how he figures it
i go to texas
i become the backup
colt goes down
im the starter
what happens if colt dont go down
or you aint good enough to be the backup?
transfer to baylor?
let baylor have him
and pound his a$$ when they play
IF he is the starter

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
12-30-2006, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
Oh well you nor I have ever been in the situation. How do we know what is best for that player? We don't and it is their decision and should be to their best ineterest on where they will live for the next four to five years.

Kinne had the opportunity to simply say that he wasn't sure and was weighing his options to Baylor, but he came on TV and announced his decision, and then he went back on it. If you say you're going to do something follow through with it all the way, don't back out after you realize you can get something better. Baylor is a great school, and he would have had a better degree than he could have received at Texas. He had a choice a long time ago and he made it and went back on it. It is just my opinion to be a man of your word, not everyone shares that. It was my thoughts on the subject, take them or leave them, but please don't try to prove me wrong and try to change the way I feel.

kaorder1999
12-30-2006, 01:09 AM
kids don't know what loyalty is anymore!

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
12-30-2006, 01:11 AM
kids don't know what loyalty is anymore!

Look at the post above you, I'm still a kid.

Old Tiger
12-30-2006, 01:46 AM
Kinne had the opportunity to simply say that he wasn't sure and was weighing his options to Baylor, but he came on TV and announced his decision, and then he went back on it. If you say you're going to do something follow through with it all the way, don't back out after you realize you can get something better. Baylor is a great school, and he would have had a better degree than he could have received at Texas. He had a choice a long time ago and he made it and went back on it. It is just my opinion to be a man of your word, not everyone shares that. It was my thoughts on the subject, take them or leave them, but please don't try to prove me wrong and try to change the way I feel. Okay so your saying you've never made a decision then went back on it? It doesn't really matter if a kid makes a verbal commitment or not. It's what happens on signing day. AND do you have to be loyal to a university that technically doesn't have no ties to you at the time except the recruitment. You aren't registered for classes there yet or enrolled.

JasperDog94
12-30-2006, 01:59 AM
Baylor is a great school, and he would have had a better degree than he could have received at Texas. It all depends on what you're majoring in.

kaorder1999
12-30-2006, 02:05 AM
whats the odds of Daddy Kinne leaving Baylor? Maybe that happening is making it easy for GJ to change his commitment

burnet44
12-30-2006, 02:09 AM
morris has fired 2 asst in the last 2 weeks

one was harold jackson
if harold jackson aint good enough to coach your nn wr's
it aint the asst fault

Jackson's numbers

16 NFL Season Totals 579 10372 17.9 76 0

morris is hanging on barely
and I like him

kaorder1999
12-30-2006, 02:17 AM
i could picture Kinne trying to get the Southlake job or the North Mesquite job...

Txbroadcaster
12-30-2006, 02:32 AM
i could picture Kinne trying to get the Southlake job or the North Mesquite job...

He played at North Mesquite and coached at Mesquite, so IMO that would be the logical place if he wanted to go back to HS.

Couple of things..First off Gary Joe was NOT hired at Baylor because his son, the man is a legend for Baylor.

Second someone mentiond GJ's attitude, he has never had an attitude problem that goes beyond the bounds of a normal teenage boy. You can say what you want about him but he stepped in at Gilmer and had a team with a ton of talent and players who had been there rally around him.

I think people remember how his dad can act at times and associate to GJ and so far he has never shown that.

big daddy russ
12-30-2006, 03:25 AM
Kids have no loyalty these days? Because they decommit from a school?

That's funnier than Michael Irvin talking about TO's character issues.

Go look up Sammy Baugh's story. Or Red Grange. Or Larry Kelley. Or tons of other guys.

Stop with all this complete crap about kids decommitting. It has nothing to do with being a man of your word and everything to do with finding out that a better opportunity is being presented to you.

I really wanted Kinne to wind up at Baylor and help Morriss take that next step, but it's not in the cards. On that note, this kind of stuff didn't just recently start happening. It's been happening for years, and some of the highest-character men to ever play the game have been some of the ones who did it.

Let's just imagine for a moment that you had wanted to major in either journalism or broadcast journalism (radio/TV) all your life. Let's also imagine that you were a pretty big stud in football and had a few offers, the best of which was with your dad at Baylor. They're footing the bill for your education and all you have to do is play some football.

I know I'd jump on that offer in a heartbeat.

Now what happens if UT (who has one of the top two J-schools in the nation) came in late and presented you with an opportunity that wasn't there before. Almost 80% of their J-school students have a job as soon as they graduate, making about $5,000 more than your average J-school grad.

I don't know about you, but I'd say "screw it" and hop on the first train to Austin.

Not saying that J-school was the reason Kinne decommitted. I don't know the actual reasons, all I know is that a new opportunity presented itself (one that wasn't there previously) and the kid jumped on it. It's the same as if you were to leave your job for a better one.

TexanAlum_06
12-30-2006, 03:39 AM
I wanted to see him end up at baylor as well. I believe he was the future stud QB for that team. But as stated by a source close to him orangebloods. he alwaz wanted to go to Texas but they never offered so he assumed they wouldnt. and now they have so he jumped on it because it was his dream to play at Texas. and he was given a chance. so he took it. you cant fault him for that.

carter08
12-30-2006, 03:42 AM
sad day weekend for baylor
losing he and but another
what is left for the bears
shall they rest obscurred by others
it is a big 12
yet 12 do not compete
watered down competiton
and the big 10
involves 11
liars are them all
kinne leaves another day
resting in the shade
from green to orange his allegiance fades
good riddance
he was committed
but not committed

LitanyofFury
12-30-2006, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ

Go look up Sammy Baugh's story. Or Red Grange. Or Larry Kelley. Or tons of other guys.

Stop with all this complete crap about kids decommitting. It has nothing to do with being a man of your word and everything to do with finding out that a better opportunity is being presented to you.

I really wanted Kinne to wind up at Baylor and help Morriss take that next step, but it's not in the cards. On that note, this kind of stuff didn't just recently start happening. It's been happening for years, and some of the highest-character men to ever play the game have been some of the ones who did it.

Let's just imagine for a moment that you had wanted to major in either journalism or broadcast journalism (radio/TV) all your life. Let's also imagine that you were a pretty big stud in football and had a few offers, the best of which was with your dad at Baylor. They're footing the bill for your education and all you have to do is play some football.

Now what happens if UT (who has one of the top two J-schools in the nation) came in late and presented you with an opportunity that wasn't there before. Almost 80% of their J-school students have a job as soon as they graduate, making about $5,000 more than your average J-school grad.

I don't know about you, but I'd say "screw it" and hop on the first train to Austin.

Not saying that J-school was the reason Kinne decommitted. I don't know the actual reasons, all I know is that a new opportunity presented itself (one that wasn't there previously) and the kid jumped on it. It's the same as if you were to leave your job for a better one.

/signed

I believe Earl Campbell was originally headed to the Sooners before changing his mind and staying south of the border.

In Kinne's case, word is that he always wanted to come to Texas but the coaching staff told him no because we had Chiles and Brantley. So, Kinne took the next best offer which was with his old man at Baylor. Then, once Brantley left he came calling and said he still wanted on the team. It's quite a bit different from Brantley's case. Brantley had offers from BOTH schools very early and decided to commit before he was ready and then puss out and not tell Mack until late in the game that he'd decided on Florida. Kinne's dad and the Bears knew G.J. wanted to go to UT but he didn't have an offer there until this week.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
12-30-2006, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
Okay so your saying you've never made a decision then went back on it? It doesn't really matter if a kid makes a verbal commitment or not. It's what happens on signing day. AND do you have to be loyal to a university that technically doesn't have no ties to you at the time except the recruitment. You aren't registered for classes there yet or enrolled.

I never made a group of people believe that I was going to do something and backed out on it, no. I didn't want to play basketball my senior year, I wanted to start getting ready to try to walk on, but I had a committment towards my teammates from the year before to go back and finish it out, and I'm glad that I did, not only because it was the right thing to do, but because I made some of the best memories of my life in doing so.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
12-30-2006, 10:56 AM

You're exactly right, they don't have loyalty when they say they're going to do something and don't follow through. There were people counting on GJ Kinne to go to Baylor this fall and begin his collegiate football career. Kinne gave them the impression that he was going to and made an early announcement that he was going to wear the green and gold. It doesn't matter that national sports figures did the exact same thing, it doesn't make it right. Mike Tyson just got arrested for cocaine use, does that mean that it should be okay for everyone else to do it to because he was the Heavyweight Boxing Champion twenty years ago? Hell no. A person always has a choice on what they can or can't do. GJ could have made the choice a long time ago that Baylor didn't offer the career opportunity that he was interested in before he ever said that he was going to go there. A long time ago, people never had to sign a legal contract, a shake of the hand was good enough, but today, it's not the same. The morals of America have been eroding away over time. I know that everyone has their own morals and has the right to live by them, but that doesn't mean that they should lie and take advantage of other people.

AggieJohn
12-30-2006, 01:46 PM
i bet people are calling for his Kinne sr. right now

big daddy russ
12-30-2006, 02:09 PM
You're exactly right, they don't have loyalty when they say they're going to do something and don't follow through. There were people counting on GJ Kinne to go to Baylor this fall and begin his collegiate football career. Kinne gave them the impression that he was going to and made an early announcement that he was going to wear the green and gold.... A person always has a choice on what they can or can't do. GJ could have made the choice a long time ago that Baylor didn't offer the career opportunity that he was interested in before he ever said that he was going to go there.
I'll never let my 'word' outweigh my good sense, just like these guys didn't.

This is about the kid's future. What happens if he plays a year then transfers like he wanted to do in the first place? He lived up to his "word" (and I use that term loosely), but he's wasted a year of both his and the coaches' time. Then we'd be having another conversation about some kid's character. We'd be calling him a "Jevan." What you're essentially saying is that once a 17-year old says he's going to a certain school, he MUST finish out all four years there, but you're losing sight of the fact that staying there all four years may not be the best situation for a particular kid.

It's the same thing as getting another job. Say you told your boss when you were hired 15 years ago that you were going to stay with the company forever. Back then, you were single, fresh out of college, and the job was a great opportunity. Fifteen years later, you're stuck in a rut at the exact same job. You've also gotten married, had two kids, and have one on the way. Unfortunately, though, you've only received a couple of raises and are trying to raise your family on a combined household income consisting of your $25,000 a year and only partial medical insurance, no dental coverage.

Oh, and your wife has to be a stay-at-home wife instead of pursuing that job she went to college for at the museum because you're putting in 90 hours a week.

Now let's say another company comes in and offers you a $100k salary, guaranteed 40-hour weeks, with full medical and dental.

What would you do?

A long time ago, people never had to sign a legal contract, a shake of the hand was good enough, but today, it's not the same. The morals of America have been eroding away over time. I know that everyone has their own morals and has the right to live by them, but that doesn't mean that they should lie and take advantage of other people.

Grange played in the 20's, Baugh in the 30's, and Kelley in the 40's. This is business. They realized that.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
12-30-2006, 02:15 PM
I'll never let my word outweigh my good sense.

This is about the kid's future. What happens if he plays a year then transfers like he wanted to do in the first place? He lived up to his "word" (and I use that term loosely), but he's wasted a year of both his and the coaches' time. Then we'd be having another conversation about some kid's character. We'd be calling him a "Jevan." What you're essentially saying is that once a 17-year old says he's going to a certain school, he MUST finish out all four years there, but you're losing sight of the fact that staying there all four years may not be the best situation for a particular kid.

You make it sound like he's left hung these guys out to dry, but it isn't even signing day yet. Hell, it's over a month from signing day. That's enough time to find another quarterback. Maybe not one as high-profile as Kinne, but a QB nonetheless.

The bottom line is that Kinne made a decision and went back on it. No matter how you try to spin it, this is an undeniable truth. A man is only as good as his word, and Kinne went back on his. I'm just not seeing the argument here. A full scholarship to Baylor is a positive thing and an opportunity to go to a school people dream of going to. Kinne lied and went back on his word, end of story.

big daddy russ
12-30-2006, 02:27 PM
The bottom line is that Kinne made a decision and went back on it. No matter how you try to spin it, this is an undeniable truth. A man is only as good as his word, and Kinne went back on his. I'm just not seeing the argument here. A full scholarship to Baylor is a positive thing and an opportunity to go to a school people dream of going to. Kinne lied and went back on his word, end of story.
I reworded it, Gary. Makes a better argument now.

You glorify these things way too much. It's not a character issue, it's an issue of common sense. If you fail to see that then it's a tough life ahead of you.

burnet44
12-30-2006, 02:27 PM
its not about your word
its about me all about me
where can I play so I can play on sunday
seems a lot of people hammer greg davis (texas oc)
about how he cant call plays
cant coach qb's
a terrible oc
but this guy want to play for him?
kinne is out for himself period
no different that sneed or bomar
thats why I wouldnt sign him
kinda like major vs crissy
yeah i know crissy is playing on sundays and major is a coach
remember this
selfish players make selfish teams
ask dallas?
this is all about kinne seeing a chance to play maybe
i didnt see him wanting to go to texas BEFORE the 2 other guys said they were not
no different than sneed
the competition was too good
now its one hit and Im the guy
its about ducking competition
its about not earning it
kinda like going to gilmer
saw an opportunity huh
see how that worked out

i realize im making some generalizations here
but can u see the pattern
so much so he would turn on his dad
thats embarressing
it is for morris, baylor and his dad
if not I would be

again I wouldnt take him
but if texas thinks they need him to win so be it

i dont think he will pan out

jmho

big daddy russ
12-30-2006, 02:35 PM
Man, ya'll are so caught up in this you don't even see the past for what it is.

You have a future to think about, period. A lot of times, coaches are just as guilty as the kids.

So burnet 44, would you have regretted signing Sammy Baugh? A great character guy by all accounts. Started out at Texas, but when the football coach told him he couldn't play two sports for him (he wanted to play both football and baseball) he transferred to TCU. And this was back in the 30's.

kaorder1999
12-30-2006, 02:40 PM
who freaking cares...he is a kid who "commited" to something and then changed his mind. Maybe I phrased it wrong earlier...kids don't know what commitment is any more.

big daddy russ
12-30-2006, 02:41 PM
...Kinne lied and went back on his word, end of story.
Oh, and Gary...

lie1 /laɪ/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[lahy] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation noun, verb, lied, ly·ing.
–noun 1. a false statement made with deliberate intent to deceive

He may have gone back on his word, but he didn't lie.

burnet44
12-30-2006, 02:42 PM
So burnet 44, would you have regretted signing Sammy Baugh? A great character guy by all accounts. Started out at Texas, but when the football coach told him he couldn't play two sports for him (he wanted to play both football and baseball) he transferred to TCU. And this was back in the 30's.

sammy went to texas
let kinne go to baylor
then we will see
and kinne aint there for 2 sports

big daddy russ
12-30-2006, 02:44 PM
who freaking cares...he is a kid who "commited" to something and then changed his mind. Maybe I phrased it wrong earlier...kids don't know what commitment is any more.
Neither did Baugh, Kelley, Grange, and tons of other guys.

Maybe he did change his committment, but the term 'anymore' doesn't apply here. You'd be better off just saying "kids never did know what committment was."

big daddy russ
12-30-2006, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by burnet44

sammy went to texas
let kinne go to baylor
then we will see
and kinne aint there for 2 sports
OK, let's use Kelley then. Committed to Princeton then backed out to play for Yale in '33.

I can throw at least 10 high-profile, old-school names out there who have done exactly the same thing Kinne did.

burnet44
12-30-2006, 02:54 PM
after 2 players at that position dropped out?
its not the same thing

big daddy russ
12-30-2006, 02:58 PM
after 2 players at that position dropped out?
its not the same thing
Huh? You're going to have to take me through this one. I don't see how it's any different.

kaorder1999
12-30-2006, 03:00 PM
my accusation of kids not knowing what commitment is goes way beyond college football commitments.

burnet44
12-30-2006, 03:02 PM
OK, let's use Kelley then. Committed to Princeton then backed out to play for Yale in '33.

I can throw at least 10 high-profile, old-school names out there who have done exactly the same thing Kinne did.

so who backed out before kelly went to yale?
and who backed out on the schools before the 10
high profile names went to those schools

is that clear?

if not drop it
it aint worth arguing over
and I aint

big daddy russ
12-30-2006, 03:04 PM
my accusation of kids not knowing what commitment is goes way beyond college football commitments.
Fair enough. I can agree with that.

big daddy russ
12-30-2006, 03:19 PM
so who backed out before kelly went to yale?
and who backed out on the schools before the 10
high profile names went to those schools

is that clear?

if not drop it
it aint worth arguing over
and I aint
44, sometimes I love to argue too much. So does BBDE. Please, don't take this personal at all... that's not what I mean to do.

Other names include Harold "Red" Grange choosing Illinois over Notre Dame, Harry Agganis choosing Boston University over Notre Dame, Alan Ameche choosing Wisconsin over St. John's, and Terry Baker choosing Oregon State over Stanford off the top of my head. I'll admit, I can't name off ten right now, but I can do some research to jog my memory.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
12-30-2006, 04:40 PM
I reworded it, Gary. Makes a better argument now.

You glorify these things way too much. It's not a character issue, it's an issue of common sense. If you fail to see that then it's a tough life ahead of you.

Of course it is a character issue. There are absolutely no negatives about a full scholarship to Baylor, the grass was greener on the other side of the fence. He gave his word, he broke it. You can't compare this situation to having a job. Out of all of your arguments, I know that you can come up with a reasonable argument instead of trying to compare apples and oranges. You have every right to believe I may have a tough life ahead of me, and I might, but at least I will be able to uphold the morals I was raised with. I just hope that you can do the same and not justify lying and wronging others.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
12-30-2006, 04:45 PM
Oh, and Gary...

lie1 /laɪ/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[lahy] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation noun, verb, lied, ly·ing.
–noun 1. a false statement made with deliberate intent to deceive

He may have gone back on his word, but he didn't lie.

Since you're throwing your definition out there, I'll throw out my own:

Noun
1. A false statement presented as being true; a falsehood.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
12-30-2006, 04:47 PM

Going back on your word is wrong, no matter who does it. Don't justify wrongs because celebrities do it. See my Mike Tyson argument.

charlesrixey
12-30-2006, 04:48 PM
I'm just glad Kinne will be in our QB mix

Good backup for McCoy since Brantley opted out

big daddy russ
12-30-2006, 05:11 PM
Of course it is a character issue. There are absolutely no negatives about a full scholarship to Baylor, the grass was greener on the other side of the fence. He gave his word, he broke it. You can't compare this situation to having a job. Out of all of your arguments, I know that you can come up with a reasonable argument instead of trying to compare apples and oranges. You have every right to believe I may have a tough life ahead of me, and I might, but at least I will be able to uphold the morals I was raised with. I just hope that you can do the same and not justify lying and wronging others.
It's exactly like having a job. You're "working" to pay your way through college. Why not work for the best company?

Since you're throwing your definition out there, I'll throw out my own:

Noun
1. A false statement presented as being true; a falsehood.
Either way, the definition includes a "deliberate intent to deceive." Did Kinne have a deliberate intent to deceive at the time?

Going back on your word is wrong, no matter who does it. Don't justify wrongs because celebrities do it. See my Mike Tyson argument.
I wasn't planning on justifying it. I don't think there's anything to justify, but I did feel the need to point out that it's not a recent trend like it seems that most people believe.

Basically, you think that someone must be inflexible when circumstances come up that weren't originally in the cards. A new development happened and things changed. You boil it down to a moral issue when it's not that at all.

None of us know what happened to change his mind. He may have seen Mack's bling, he may have been a lifelong Texas fan, or he may be going there for academic reasons. None of us really know. Either way, it's not a moral issue. As a community, the Downlow tends to demonize the kids and canonize the coaches, but the coaches are every bit as guilty as the kids.

Whether or not you see it this way, it is a job. A job with a high level of scrutiny. He's doing this to pay his way through college. The same way the students working the desk of the MSC Hotel, working at Sbisa, or working maintenance works there to pay their way.

I don't know about you, but I can't stand desk jobs. Let's say for a minute that you hate them as much as me but you're shelving books in the library. Then a maintenance guy comes by and says that he can get you out of there if you want. I know I'd take the job and it wouldn't be a moral issue at all.

District303aPastPlayer
12-30-2006, 05:23 PM
everyone acts like its a big thing... Drew Tate was verbal to A&M... turn on ESPN... see what uniform he's wearing right now...

charlesrixey
12-30-2006, 05:34 PM
that's why i don't even bother with the commitments until after signing day

3-4 players per year per team will probably switch over the course of the recruiting season, and after the season there will always be transfers

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
12-30-2006, 06:37 PM
It's exactly like having a job. You're "working" to pay your way through college. Why not work for the best company?

Either way, the definition includes a "deliberate intent to deceive." Did Kinne have a deliberate intent to deceive at the time?

I wasn't planning on justifying it. I don't think there's anything to justify, but I did feel the need to point out that it's not a recent trend like it seems that most people believe.

Basically, you think that someone must be inflexible when circumstances come up that weren't originally in the cards. A new development happened and things changed. You boil it down to a moral issue when it's not that at all.

None of us know what happened to change his mind. He may have seen Mack's bling, he may have been a lifelong Texas fan, or he may be going there for academic reasons. None of us really know. Either way, it's not a moral issue. As a community, the Downlow tends to demonize the kids and canonize the coaches, but the coaches are every bit as guilty as the kids.

Whether or not you see it this way, it is a job. A job with a high level of scrutiny. He's doing this to pay his way through college. The same way the students working the desk of the MSC Hotel, working at Sbisa, or working maintenance works there to pay their way.

I don't know about you, but I can't stand desk jobs. Let's say for a minute that you hate them as much as me but you're shelving books in the library. Then a maintenance guy comes by and says that he can get you out of there if you want. I know I'd take the job and it wouldn't be a moral issue at all.

Where was the negative to going to Baylor? As I said before, the grass looked greener on the other side of the fence. Kind of like him moving from Canton to the #1 team in the state for "safety" reasons.

The definition you looked at says one thing, the one I looked at says another.

I'm not saying that a person should be inflexible given certain circumstances, what I'm saying is that a person should be a man of his word. Kinne wasn't getting screwed over by going to Baylor like you're trying to say he is. You're painting over morals that you, I, and no telling how many others have been raised on. As I said before, you can't compare this to a job, it's not a job, football is a GAME. This isn't professional football, and he's getting his school paid for wherever he goes to a top-tier university. If it were academic reasons that made him change his mind, he had the opportunity to point that out before and not make the committment. Kinne put all of those things aside so he could play football, he made a choice, and he went back on his choice. Plain and simple, end of story and argument. Morals are morals and should be upheld in all situations unless it is going to make a drastic negative impact on a person's live or well-being. Going to Baylor to play football did none of those. It's all about what him not doing what he said he was.

Your mentality clearly demonstrates how America has changed, how our morals are eroding in favor personal greed. Kinne left because he wanted to be in the spotlight, at the big and popular school. It's not the first time he's done this, either. I think you're a great guy Russ, but I'm not going to budge. This isn't just about GJ, this is about every player who goes back on a word. Last time I checked, not doing something that you said you were going to do is a lie. Also, if you want to talk about deliberate, Kinne was definately deliberate when he told the University of Texas that he was going there to play next year.

BU97
12-30-2006, 10:05 PM

Blake Szymanski who finished the year, Tyler Beaty, Chandler Dane, Ryan Roberts, Jason Lovorrne, and Brad Taylor.

who? exactly!

I know that the oc likes the Lavorrne kid, but that could have been b/c they were red-shirting some of the others. I have heard good things about Beaty (Pflugerville) and Roberts.

Since Benedict Arnold switched to UT, BU has picked up the QB from Tyler JC and some other JC QB. It may actually be better because maybe one of these guys might be better prepared to play next year.

As for what was posted about the coaches. Kinne, Sr. apparently is burning it up on recruiting. If you look at the Rivals page his name is listed by half of the names that we have commitments from. So I think that will save his a$$ for now.

As for Harold Jackson, he was not a real strong recruiter. To make matters worse he recruited Houston. You cant have a poor recruiter working Houston.

rcbulldog34
12-30-2006, 10:54 PM
Maybe it went like this. Texas calls he thinks do I play for Baylor or do I play to win the Big 12 with Texas? Easy I am a winner I want to play for Texas.

HOOK'EM

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
12-30-2006, 11:16 PM
Tyler Beaty has a cannon on him. I ran routes with him at a few camps during the summer, and he throws a pretty pass and was the most accurate of all of the ones that I saw throwing the ball. He had me impressed.

burnet44
12-31-2006, 12:58 AM
mark it down
kinne wont play at tu
will prob do a sneed and go
baylor signed some qb from kent state
with 1 year left
go figure
and if harold jackson cant recruit houston?
why did morris put him there?
the kids from houston aint comming to baylor anyway
the good ones
not the 2nd team all dist

baylor cant recruit because its baylor
not harold jackson
why doesnt morris recruit houston himself?
because he might have to fire himself

no church school wins at the d 1 level
byu has fallen off
nd is not the nd of old

baylor gets the kids who dont want to go to tcu and want to be in the big 12

3a kids
and the left over 4-5 a's

why do you think tu didnt offer kinne at first?
if he was that good wouldnt they?

he is a left over

im done on this

stupid reply by me

BU97
12-31-2006, 09:04 PM
Why are you calling my reply stupid?

I just stated what I know. As for why Jackson was given the Houston area I dont know. But the fact is that he was a poor recruiter, how do I know? Because I AM a coach in the Houston area!

As for what you said about BU getting the left overs from UT and aTm, I do not disagree. So that is exactly why you HAVE to have good recruiters to go find the kids that are unknown. We'll see if they fair any better when someone else gets the Houston area. Houston has more than enough D-1 prospects.

Again, I guess you are calling me stupid because I went to Baylor, I do just fine thank you.

Phil C
12-31-2006, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by BU97
Why are you calling my reply stupid?

I just stated what I know. As for why Jackson was given the Houston area I dont know. But the fact is that he was a poor recruiter, how do I know? Because I AM a coach in the Houston area!

As for what you said about BU getting the left overs from UT and aTm, I do not disagree. So that is exactly why you HAVE to have good recruiters to go find the kids that are unknown. We'll see if they fair any better when someone else gets the Houston area. Houston has more than enough D-1 prospects.

Again, I guess you are calling me stupid because I went to Baylor, I do just fine thank you.

Bu you got a point. Even though UT will probably get more than share of the best recruits there are more than enough of them around. No one can get them all. I remember in the 1960s a coach was quoted on Dave Campbell's magazine "You take the top 50 players in the state and I'll take the rest. I'll beat you."
The magazine rightfully said he was right. Of course no one will be able to get the top fifty players or all of the rest.

Tiger90
12-31-2006, 11:15 PM
I do not understand the logic of bashing and being down on this kid. He doesn't owe any allegiance to anyone. These colleges look at these kids as "meat". The best "meat" puts $$$$ into the school/program and fans and their $$$$ into the school/program. There is no love factor included here. If this kid verbally committed early and then tore a ligament or broke a bone putting his career in doubt would the recruiting school go through with the deal.....I doubt it.

GreenMonster
01-01-2007, 12:15 AM
Szmanski from Wichita Falls Rider HS. Will be a SOPH.

Emerson1
01-01-2007, 12:28 AM
from smoaky

***New G.J. Kinne quotes on commitment to UT***
Gilmer senior G.J. Kinne has been out of pocket since changing his verbal commitment from Baylor to Texas this week, but tonight, he after he's been playing in a basketball tournament in Mount Pleasant, he responded to a couple of my questions about his change of heart (more to come)...

(Please credit Smoaky.com with any use of the following quotes)

1) Have you yet decided on whether to enroll at UT for the spring semester?

"I’ve actually been super busy with basketball and getting ready for the East Meets West All-American game. When we return on January 7th, I’ll sit down with my family and continue the discussion with Coach Davis and Coach Traylor and decide. I am academically able to graduate early."

2) Do you have 1-2 favorite memories growing up a UT fan, a game, or play, or a player...elaborate on that just a little bit?

"I vividly remember (among other great UT memories) a game my dad took me to for my birthday at Texas Stadium. It was when the Longhorns played Colorado for the Big 12 Championship. It was such a memorable experience even though we lost. Chris Simms threw a couple of picks; they brought in Major Applewhite. He rallied the team back but couldn’t QUITE pull it off. We just ran out of time. The fans, the burnt orange EVERYWHERE, the whole UT atmosphere – you can’t beat it."

3) So what are your emotions now that you've changed your commitment from Baylor to Texas?

"Right now I’m feeling a pretty big range of emotions. I’m thrilled about becoming a Texas Longhorn. It is such an honor, and I am looking forward to being a part of the UT family. I’m also grateful for the opportunity to have played for men like Coach Traylor and Coach Metzel who helped me develop so much and who made this opportunity possible for me. I’m grateful for all my coaches, friends and teammates who mean so much to me and who are so excited for me right now. But, my excitement is honestly a bit reserved because I know that lots of folks were depending on me to make an impact for Baylor. I don’t like to let anybody down; I really hate disappointing people."

4) How difficult was this decision for you, especially with your father being an assistant coach at Baylor?

"Few people really know how long I struggled with the decision or how hard it has been. A decision like this is difficult for ANY athlete, but when you add that aspect into the mix, words are hard to describe how difficult it has been. The opportunity to play a big part in the positive things that Coach Morris and his staff are doing for the BU program was promising. But at the “end of the day” I had to make a decision that I felt was best for me. I think almost everyone can identify with that type of internal struggle, but it’s really awkward doing it in the public eye."

rcbulldog34
01-02-2007, 07:18 PM
Member #: 5249
Ahhh so Baylor goes back on word as well?
http://recruitingbuzz.beloblog.com/
Berkner's Johnson out with Baylor
So Buzz gets back from vacation and gets this news:

Apparently Baylor and Richardson Berkner athlete Justin Johnson have parted ways.

Berkner coach Jim Ledford reports Johnson found out Sunday night after a talk with Bears coach Guy Morriss.

"Justin called Coach Morriss last night and he told him Baylor would no longer honor that commitment," Ledford said.

We'll try to get more from Johnson today
===============================

So lets hear thoughts on Baylor backing out of a commitment from a kid

big daddy russ
01-02-2007, 07:43 PM
..The definition you looked at says one thing, the one I looked at says another...

I'm not saying that a person should be inflexible given certain circumstances, what I'm saying is that a person should be a man of his word. Kinne wasn't getting screwed over by going to Baylor like you're trying to say he is...

Your mentality clearly demonstrates how America has changed, how our morals are eroding in favor personal greed. Kinne left because he wanted to be in the spotlight, at the big and popular school. It's not the first time he's done this, either. I think you're a great guy Russ, but I'm not going to budge. This isn't just about GJ, this is about every player who goes back on a word. Last time I checked, not doing something that you said you were going to do is a lie. Also, if you want to talk about deliberate, Kinne was definately deliberate when he told the University of Texas that he was going there to play next year.
They may be different definitions, but they have the same meaning. Either way it's an intent to deceive. And I don't know if he's getting screwed over by Baylor, but I'd like to hear all parts of the story before passing judgment. I thought the way the Ryan Perriloux de-committ went down stunk, but I didn't have as much of a problem with the Snead transfer or Brantley de-committ.

And my whole argument isn't to say that GJ's the greatest guy in the world, I'm just playing Devil's advocate and pointing out that America isn't so different when it comes to recruiting. What if he transferred for all the right reasons and we're out on a witch hunt?

One final thing, my personal belief is that if you exchange a service for another service/object/etc, then it is the same as a job. I've mowed lawns in exchange for a lawnmower, did some odd- and end-jobs in exchange for a nice date, and put up with a girlfriend's mom to maintain a relationship. They were all jobs in my mind, just like him performing a service for Mack Brown in order to pay for his college education is a job in my mind. That's just a difference of opinion.

lostaussie
01-02-2007, 08:14 PM
I have bit my tongue long enough. I have personally NEVER met G.J. But what I want to ask is have any person on this board ever been through what this kid has? Enough is enough............this is a 17 year old we are talking about. He can go to college where ever he damn well pleases. Only he knows why he came to Gilmer. Only he knows why he has made decisions he has. All I know is he was our QB this year and he did the absolute best job he could on a terrific team. They just ran up against a very tough foe and lost. Thats not a crime, lots of good teams lose. Everybody for once needs to put yourself in this kids shoes and walk a mile or two. This has been blown way out of proportion. I'm not a UT fan or a Baylor fan, but if the kid has a full ride to UT or BU, which one would you take? Think about that............enough is enough and this is enough!!!!!!!!!!