PDA

View Full Version : Bridge City - Bellville (Softball)

middleagecardinal
05-07-2003, 10:55 AM
Can anyone give any info on Bellville Softball? I am wondering what kind of game we can expect. Thanks.

Bellville22
05-07-2003, 02:16 PM
I can provide a little info for you, I've got a sister on the team (#13, Go Kate).

Bellville is a very solid softball team, they're not overpowering, and I don't expect them to be the State Champ this year, but they're plenty scrappy and a team that can probably hang with most teams.

They don't have the one dominant pitcher who can shut down a team for 7+ innings. They've got 4 girls who throw, all of whom can get the job done, and keep the Brahmanettes (I hate that, there are female Brahmas too) in the game, which is all that is asked of them. Each of the girls provide a little different look, which can be effective, but like I said, none of them can shut down an offense. They also have 2 or 3 others who can come in and throw strikes if needed.

Bellville does rely on the bats. They are capable of scoring some runs, and against a good team like BC, will probably need to score 5 or 6 per game. Top 2 have some pop, do a good job getting on base, 3 and 4 are the RBI machines (4 is my sis ;-) ) 5-9 aren't the hitters that the top 4 are, but definately not easy outs, got some good production from the bottom the other day. These girls don't steal alot from what I've seen, but they are aggressive as far as taking the extra base on a ball thru the IF and scoring on hits. A very complete lineup, capable of putting some runs on the board.

Defense is definately the strong point of this bunch (knock on wood). Balls will be put in play off of our pitchers, and the D has been great making the plays behind them. Good range and great arms in the OF, reliable IFs, and a freshman catcher who's fun to watch. Not a weak spot on the field.

I'm sure BC is the favorite in this matchup, as they probably should be. I expect a great series, and I look for 'em to use the full 3 games. If BC's pitchers come in and hold Bellville to 3 or fewer runs, then they'll have the advantage; but if these games get up around the 5 and 6 run marks, the Brahmanettes have their kind of game, and have a great chance.

That's my opinion on Bellville, Brahma73 has seen 'em more than I have, he may have some input as well.

Best of luck to BC, should be a great series. If you wouldn't mind, provide a little info on what we should expect to see from BC this weekend.

Old Cardinal
05-07-2003, 04:30 PM
Bellville 22: I think we were expecting to be playing BH instead of Bellville...BC has a team that has worked real hard to improve, during the year.They are very well Coached, and not just in the ballgames.. They have 6 good Select team nearly year-round players; however, Senior Julia Curl had to have an operation on her foot. That was a real setback for the team. Above the 5 Select team players, they have some very good athletes. It has been their experience that if they hit they win, because their pitching staff of 3 can keep them in the ballgame. Looking forward to a good contest Fri. & Sat.....A comical little story-Bridge City as an infant school were the Cobras: and then they decided to change their Name to something else,in about 1955. Well the boys wanted to be the Red Brahma Bulls (because the established colors were red & white). Well, one of the boys prior to a vote told the girls that their basketball team would be called the "red heifers". Now that polarized the boys and the girls against one another...So the School Superintendent Grover Die and a few others named the Mascot name- CARDINALS and it never came to a vote by the student body. So Brahmanettes is not a bad name after all, right?

<small>[ May 07, 2003, 04:38 PM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>

Bellville22
05-07-2003, 05:17 PM
Hahaha, I guess they would prefer brahmanettes over heifers. funny story.

Thanks for the input, look forward to this weekend. If your at the game Sat.(I'm going to boys game Friday) and notice me, feel free to head over and say hi, I'll most likely be sitting next to Brahma73. I'm a tall, thin, 21 year old w/ a goatee (sp?...facial hair). I'll be wearing a Boston Red Sox hat, should be the only one wearing one of those.

Best of luck to y'all.