PDA

View Full Version : Where is Texas not like Texas???

Adidas410s
12-28-2006, 10:58 AM
What city/area of the state would say is the least representative of what you think of when you think of Texas???
For me...it's definitely from d/t Dallas moving north through the along 75 and the Tollway until you reach 380. I consider this area the "import capital of Texas" as the people and much of the business are not from Texas. They have moved here from other parts of the country (and sometimes the world) and look at Texas as where they live rather than their home. Many of them never leave the Metroplex area and see other parts of the state...thus missing out on what (at least to me) Texas is all about.

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/169/metroplex20mapnd8.gif

JJ7997
12-28-2006, 11:07 AM
I would have to say right here in El Paso, Chihuahua. I honestly dont know who drives worse, Chihuahuans or Iraqis in Baghdad, and I speak from experience.

SWMustang
12-28-2006, 11:09 AM
Houston - anywhere inside beltway 8

SWMustang
12-28-2006, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
I consider this area the "import capital of Texas" as the people and much of the business are not from Texas. They have moved here from other parts of the country (and sometimes the world) and look at Texas as where they live rather than their home. Many of them never leave the Metroplex area and see other parts of the state...thus missing out on what (at least to me) Texas is all about.

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/169/metroplex20mapnd8.gif

We should put those people in internment camps. To graduate and join the rest of us Texans they need to do the following things:

1) pass a Texas History Class
2) Make several "missions" to rural Texas for some High School Football
3) Swear allegiance to Sam Houston

Did I leave anything out?

carter08
12-28-2006, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by SWMustang

There are some Texan parts of Houston
Not very many
but a few

Maroon87
12-28-2006, 11:45 AM

Especially those parts along Bellaire Blvd. where the street signs are in Vietnamese.:doh:

Adidas410s
12-28-2006, 11:45 AM
We should put those people in internment camps. To graduate and join the rest of us Texans they need to do the following things:

1) pass a Texas History Class
2) Make several "missions" to rural Texas for some High School Football
3) Swear allegiance to Sam Houston

Did I leave anything out?

My neighbors are from Indiana. At first she didn't seem too keen on the idea of leaving the Metroplex other than trips to Ft Worth. She's never heard of bluebonnets (wth???) so I'm taking her down 35 and then down hwys 6 and 36 in the spring time so that she can see Texas! :)

pirate4state
12-28-2006, 11:48 AM
My neighbors are from Indiana. At first she didn't seem too keen on the idea of leaving the Metroplex other than trips to Ft Worth. She's never heard of bluebonnets (wth???) so I'm taking her down 35 and then down hwys 6 and 36 in the spring time so that she can see Texas! :)

Never heard of bluebonnets??? :doh: She needs to venture out.

Looking at this map, I have just realized I have lived all over the damn metroplex!!

DU_stud04
12-28-2006, 11:56 AM

neighbors.......are they cute and how old? hahahahaha

Centexhorn
12-28-2006, 12:02 PM
I actually ventured into that corridor the other day that you have posted. Living near Fort Worth I have to say it did not feel like Texas very much.

Fort Worth is very Texas, north Dallas not so much.

El Paso the one time I was there didnt seem much like Texas.

Considering how far out there it is, that is very understandable.

Adidas410s
12-28-2006, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
neighbors.......are they cute and how old? hahahahaha

i'm sure not complaining...and she's a year younger than me. Her roommate is pretty hot but also has a b/f back in Indianapolis of about 5 years (they fly back and forth EVERY w/e) and she'll probably be moving back that way as soon as she can.

Gsquared
12-28-2006, 12:03 PM
Are you gonna play itsy bitsy spider on her leg while drivin?

Txbroadcaster
12-28-2006, 12:07 PM
IMO the area most Not like Texas as far as the culture and the people is Austin..Dont get me wrong I LOVE Austin, but it is a more liberal area as far as attitude and political enviroment than any other area.

Dallas is like Texas, Big money Texas.

olddawggreen
12-28-2006, 12:16 PM
Austin

olddawggreen
12-28-2006, 12:19 PM
So far I've lived in Burnet, Austin, Houstin, Corpus Christi, Victoria and the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex, I've worked in close to 90 counties in Texas and there is no question in my mind, Austin is the most un-Texas, Texas city in the state. Both politicly and economicly.
It used to be because of the Hippy mentality and the large number of government employees that work for the University and the state, but now I think its partially due to the large population of out of stators that have settled there because of the high tech industry. :doh: And the thing is, many Austinites take pride in being un-Texas to a certain degree.:confused:

Old Tiger
12-28-2006, 12:42 PM
The Valley

Txbroadcaster
12-28-2006, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by olddawggreen
And the thing is, many Austinites take pride in being un-Texas to a certain degree.:confused:

Thing is..to buck the trend and not be like everyone else is VERY TEXAN. The reason Texas became a great place is because of people willing to be different, have a different attitude, and I for one love it.

BILLYFRED0000
12-28-2006, 12:51 PM
I think Texans take great pride in not being like everybody else meaning out side the state. But inside the state all major metro
areas are more liberal than the norm in texas. It all comes down to the same thing. IN the city, people want the services. In the country, people tend to take care of things themselves. I lived in Big D for 10 years. I much prefer the country. I don't need rules and enforcement to tell me right from wrong and I can take care
of myself.

SWMustang
12-28-2006, 12:54 PM
And the thing is, many Austinites take pride in being un-Texas to a certain degree.:confused:

Get a rope :eek:

SintonFan
12-28-2006, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Thing is..to buck the trend and not be like everyone else is VERY TEXAN. The reason Texas became a great place is because of people willing to be different, have a different attitude, and I for one love it.
Yes, but it's very un-TEXAN to have guys dressing up as show queens with paisleys on their keesters and nethers.:eek:
Austin's got the market cornered on that stuff.:nerd:

SWMustang
12-28-2006, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by BILLYFRED0000
IN the city, people want the services. In the country, people tend to take care of things themselves. I lived in Big D for 10 years. I much prefer the country. I don't need rules and enforcement to tell me right from wrong and I can take care
of myself.

Right on BillyFred.

Txbroadcaster
12-28-2006, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
Yes, but it's very un-TEXAN to have guys dressing up as show queens with paisleys on their keesters and nethers.:eek:

Again why is it "untexan"? He is doing what he wants bucking the "normal" way of life in the pursuit of happiness. Not something I would do, but IMO he is pure Texan because he dont care what anyone else thinks and living life as he wants.

SintonFan
12-28-2006, 01:00 PM
Again why is it "untexan"? He is doing what he wants bucking the "normal" way of life in the pursuit of happiness. Not something I would do, but IMO he is pure Texan because he dont care what anyone else thinks and living life as he wants.
lol
ummm....
haha
Let's not go all out and start saying those "Brokeback" moments are very Texan.:p

Txbroadcaster
12-28-2006, 01:10 PM
lol
ummm....
haha
Let's not go all out and start saying those "Brokeback" moments are very Texan.:p

Being a Texan is not about your political, sexual, or religious orientation. It is about living your life on you own accord, not worried about what others think. It is also about not worrying about how others live their life.

LHPfactory
12-28-2006, 01:11 PM
I work in Austin, there are alot of Texans that commute ( and some live in the city) to the city. However, it is like a little slice of California deep in the heart of Texas.

injuredinmelee
12-28-2006, 01:18 PM
nm messed that all up...

SintonFan
12-28-2006, 01:32 PM
Being a Texan is not about your political, sexual, or religious orientation. It is about living your life on you own accord, not worried about what others think. It is also about not worrying about how others live their life.
If I worried how others think I wouldn't be posting this.
I'm not worrying on how others live their life. When it's wrong it's just wrong imho. Maybe it's just me who's being un-Texan.:(
Nah... I doubt it.:D

Txbroadcaster
12-28-2006, 01:44 PM
I'm not worrying on how others live their life. When it's wrong it's just wrong imho. Maybe it's just me who's being un-Texan.:(

Nope your all Texas because your sticking to your values. Nothing ever wrong with that

SWMustang
12-28-2006, 01:55 PM

I would also throw in courteous, self sufficient and showing compassion for those in need (had to get that in for Phil:) )

icu812
12-28-2006, 02:04 PM
Without a doubt....Austin.

Ranger Mom
12-28-2006, 02:09 PM

My thoughts exactly D!!:clap:

texasjeremy
12-28-2006, 03:21 PM

Going to Fort Worth is NOT leaving the Metroplex.

texasjeremy
12-28-2006, 03:22 PM
The Metroplex is the 4th largest Metropolitan area in the entire nation (behind on NYC, LA, and Chicago) of course there are gonna be people there not from Texas.

texasjeremy
12-28-2006, 03:26 PM

Because "being gay" is un-Texan.

buff4life
12-28-2006, 03:27 PM
Giddings is about as Texas as you can get....with the exception of the ten mexican bakeries and taco shops

texasjeremy
12-28-2006, 03:28 PM
What about College Station, 50,000 mindless zombies running around doing what they are told is not texan.

big daddy russ
12-28-2006, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
Especially those parts along Bellaire Blvd. where the street signs are in Vietnamese.:doh:
ROFL. My fiancee went to high school over in that area, at St. Agnes Academy.

My friends and I have an old saying for ol' H-town. "Houston isn't a Texas city, it's just a city in Texas."

There isn't a single part of Houston proper that's Texan. Even my cousin, who lives out in Cypress, is only fringe Texan, and he's living off the Texan that comes from his mom (raised in Brownfield) and dad (raised in Corsicana).

big daddy russ
12-28-2006, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by texasjeremy
What about College Station, 50,000 mindless zombies running around doing what they are told is not texan.
College Station is semi-Texan. You're encouraged to wear wranglers and a Stetson, but quite a few of the kids that live there went to high schools where you were a nerd if you wore Wranglers. Granted, a lot of the kids that go there are from Houston, but a lot of them are shell shocked when they get there and see people walking around in cowboy hats.

It's still a Texan city IMO.

Adidas410s
12-28-2006, 03:57 PM
Going to Fort Worth is NOT leaving the Metroplex.

The Metroplex is the 4th largest Metropolitan area in the entire nation (behind on NYC, LA, and Chicago) of course there are gonna be people there not from Texas.

wow...thanks for the insight...:rolleyes:

Maroon87
12-28-2006, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
ROFL. My fiancee went to high school over in that area, at St. Agnes Academy.

Strake Jesuit is in that area as well. Talk about a collision of cultures...:eek:

Txbroadcaster
12-28-2006, 04:02 PM
Because "being gay" is un-Texan.

Why? Because the majority is straight? Again as I stated before sexual preference has no part of being a Texan..Living free and being yourself whatever that self may be is being Texas

big daddy russ
12-28-2006, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
Strake Jesuit is in that area as well. Talk about a collision of cultures...:eek:
Yes it is. The two schools share a parking lot and a few religion classes.

texasjeremy
12-28-2006, 04:32 PM
Again as I stated before sexual preference has no part of being a Texan..

Sure it is, Texans are known for being rugged no-nonsense people, not fruity drama majors.

big daddy russ
12-28-2006, 04:45 PM
Actually, D/FW is only the ninth-largest in the nation. All of the following metro areas are larger:

-Philly/Wilmington/Atlantic City, Baltimore/D.C.
-San Fran/Oakland/San Jose
-Detroit/Ann Arbor/Flint
-Boston
-Atlanta. (not necessarily in that order)

Adidas410s
12-28-2006, 04:47 PM
our friends at Wikipedia list DFW as the 5th largest as of 2005...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_metropolitan_area

texasjeremy
12-28-2006, 04:54 PM

You are correct, in 2005 Dallas was 4th, Philly 5th, but DFW was growing at a much faster rate and overtook Philly this year. I don't know what that guy was talking about 9th, he must have been looking at information from the 90's.

Ranger Mom
12-28-2006, 04:56 PM

In the 6 months I lived in California aka hell on earth....I didn't meet a single person that was originally from California!!

pirate4state
12-28-2006, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by buff4life
Giddings is about as Texas as you can get....with the exception of the ten mexican bakeries and taco shops

What's wrong with mexican bakeries & taco shops?? Where else you gonna get real tortillas?? :thinking:

big daddy russ
12-28-2006, 05:18 PM

Those are probably estimates projecting 2005 populations from the 2000 census. As of the 2000 census, D/FW was still ninth.

I also noticed that Wikipedia didn't include San Jose with San Fran and Oakland, but it's right at the base of San Francisco Bay, about 15 miles down a stretch of populated highway from either city.

Typically, San Fran, San Jose, Oakland, Santa Clara, and Palo Alto are considered the San Fran Metro Area (at least in TV markets they are), and San Jose is one of the ten largest cities in the US (third-largest in CA behind LA and SD).

Here's (http://geography.about.com/library/weekly/aa010102a.htm) a list from the 2000 census. This is the same info that I had.

big daddy russ
12-28-2006, 05:20 PM
You are correct, in 2005 Dallas was 4th, Philly 5th, but DFW was growing at a much faster rate and overtook Philly this year. I don't know what that guy was talking about 9th, he must have been looking at information from the 90's.
The US hasn't conducted a census since 2000, so these are just projections to 2005. We won't know actual populations again until 2010.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
12-28-2006, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
The Valley

Care to elaborate further, Tiger? :thinking:

Centexhorn
12-28-2006, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by Centexhorn
I actually ventured into that corridor the other day that you have posted. Living near Fort Worth I have to say it did not feel like Texas very much.

Fort Worth is very Texas, north Dallas not so much.

El Paso the one time I was there didnt seem much like Texas.

Considering how far out there it is, that is very understandable.

What I meant was I ventured into a certain mall in that corridor because they had some attraction that my 2 year old would like.

There I saw a 70+ year old man with tights and hair shaved on both sides of his head with purple hair spiked in the middle, running with similar younger males.

This you dont see in the Chilton/Marlin/Mart corridor.

olddawggreen
12-28-2006, 06:29 PM

Yes they do, Such as the famous Leslie;

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/554/leslievo2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Who always hung out in downtown Austin everyday on Congress Avenue. This guy actually ran for City Council and I think Mayor. People in Austin loved this guy, always people walking up and giving him money. Its funny what you let yourself get used to.
:eek: :(

tree8400
12-28-2006, 06:37 PM
i know some people that live in Prosper, and they say it goes a little north of what you marked off.

luvhoops34
12-28-2006, 06:43 PM
R O M A........nuff said. What a hole.

olddawggreen
12-28-2006, 06:59 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Being a Texan is not about your political, sexual, or religious orientation. It is about living your life on you own accord, not worried about what others think. It is also about not worrying about how others live their life. [/QUOTE

I don't k I buy that. While there have been those that have made the sacrifices so this guy can have the freedom to show his A$$ on Congress Avenue in our state capitol, that doesn't mean that he's a great example of what a Texan is supposed to be.

I'm a 7th generation Texan, had one 4 times great grandfather sign the Goliad Declaration of Indepence, another helped take San Antonio from General Cos before the Battle of the Alamo, then went on to San Jacinto, later went on to be one of the first Texas Rangers and Indian fighters, another was a member of the Mier Expidition, who spent time in a Mexican prison, being lucky enough to draw a white bean instead of a black one before escaping and making his way back to Texas and freedom. Had others involved in every war Texas and the USA have fought in. These guys are what I consider a good example of what a Texan is.

While most of them would probably agree that they made the necessary sacrifices to insure our freedoms and to help make this state and country what it is, I think they would probably be pretty insulted if you stood someone like Leslie up next to them and said "This is what it is to be a Texan".:mad:

SWMustang
12-28-2006, 07:06 PM

Dallas has never been 4th. 10 years ago they were 8th and they've steadily been climbing.

This is a crappy copy, but this is from Nielsen Media Research 2006 DMA rankings.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j200/pattonwb/DMA.jpg

Txbroadcaster
12-28-2006, 07:20 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Being a Texan is not about your political, sexual, or religious orientation. It is about living your life on you own accord, not worried about what others think. It is also about not worrying about how others live their life. [/QUOTE

I don't k I buy that. While there have been those that have made the sacrifices so this guy can have the freedom to show his A$$ on Congress Avenue in our state capitol, that doesn't mean that he's a great example of what a Texan is supposed to be.

I'm a 7th generation Texan, had one 4 times great grandfather sign the Goliad Declaration of Indepence, another helped take San Antonio from General Cos before the Battle of the Alamo, then went on to San Jacinto, later went on to be one of the first Texas Rangers and Indian fighters, another was a member of the Mier Expidition, who spent time in a Mexican prison, being lucky enough to draw a white bean instead of a black one before escaping and making his way back to Texas and freedom. Had others involved in every war Texas and the USA have fought in. These guys are what I consider a good example of what a Texan is.

While most of them would probably agree that they made the necessary sacrifices to insure our freedoms and to help make this state and country what it is, I think they would probably be pretty insulted if you stood someone like Leslie up next to them and said "This is what it is to be a Texan".:mad:

Why would they be insulted? Because they dont agree with his personal choice? I to have a deep root in Texas, and my family came here because they did NOT want the governemnt telling them what to do in every step. They believed people should take care of themselves and not worry how other people are.

That teaching has passed down from generation to generation, and I am glad it has. I believe each person lives their life, and as long as you dont personally push your beliefs on me to the point it gets to be a nusiance then I respect your wishes, dreams, morals, and goals even if they dont agree with mine.

Pudlugger
12-28-2006, 07:39 PM

Wikipedia is not a reliable source. If you quote it in a college paper you will be dinged. There is a lot of misinformation in that site.

Pudlugger
12-28-2006, 07:49 PM
Why would they be insulted? Because they dont agree with his personal choice? I to have a deep root in Texas, and my family came here because they did NOT want the governemnt telling them what to do in every step. They believed people should take care of themselves and not worry how other people are.

That teaching has passed down from generation to generation, and I am glad it has. I believe each person lives their life, and as long as you dont personally push your beliefs on me to the point it gets to be a nusiance then I respect your wishes, dreams, morals, and goals even if they dont agree with mine.

Txbroadcaster while I admire your stand for tolerance I doubt that those who fought and founded the great State of Texas would abide this sort of "in your face" foolishness. Tolerance is okay and it is okay to have some fun but it ain't Texan. It is something else...maybe Californian or San Franciscan or whatever, but it ain't Texan. If folks want to run down Congress Ave with a feather in their arse and a boa over their nether regions and throw kisses to the crowd then well fine, that is funny and outrageous and all, but it ain't Texan.:D

BTW Texans and Libertarians are two different things.

Pudlugger
12-28-2006, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by TarponFanInNorthTexas
Care to elaborate further, Tiger? :thinking:

Give me some authentic Tex/Mex and Corona anytime and we'll talk Texan all night.:D

olddawggreen
12-28-2006, 08:11 PM

From what I understand, there have been pleanty of hard working business people down on Congress Avenue that have found this guy and others to be very much a nusiance.

No disrespect, but if you have to ask why these people that I have mentioned would be insulted by being compared to Leslie, I would say that you and I have definatly drinking from different creeks. ;) I think that people that work hard, lay their lives on the line and contribute to their communities deserve a little better than that.
Sorry, but while I do respect other peoples choices in life, I have a hard time believing that people like Leslie, that has chosen to live the life that he does, living on the street, panhandling and selling sex in the alley's should be the kind of person that we should hold up as an example of what a "Texan" is.

While personal freedom is important, I think responsibility and contributions to your community and neighbors is equally important. Sorry, but guys like Leslie and the wino's peeing on the church steps on the Drag don't really care about you or I, or making the community a better, safer place to raise a family.

All that said, I do respect your right to your opinion, just don't agree with your choices for "Texan of The Year";) :)

SintonFan
12-28-2006, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
My thoughts exactly D!!:clap:
GMTA!:D :)

olddawggreen
12-28-2006, 09:03 PM

I think your second sentence is pure BS.

We have some neighbors that live across the street from our house in Burnet. They constantly come in late, loud, drunk, throwing trash in their yard and on neighbor's property. They have a garage sale and three months later the crap that didn't sale (most of it) is still on the front porch. They pile old appliances, tires, trash, ect. in their yard. Its only removed after someone calls the city and complains. Their kids have all their black t shirted little thugs hanging out on the street with their skate boards all the time, trying to intimidate the older people on the street, daring cars to hit them, leaving their trash where they throw it. (The older ones are now in jail after being caught vandlizing the schools last year, about $80,000.00 worth from what I remember)

THEY LIVE THEIR LIFE ON THEIR OWN ACCORD, NOT WORRIED ABOUT WHAT OTHERS THINK. Not caring what their doing to their neighbors and their property values, ect. Wev'e had three good families (one coach) put their houses on the market and try to move because of these people. I do not consider these people an example of what a Texan should be.

SintonFan
12-28-2006, 09:03 PM
Why? Because the majority is straight? Again as I stated before sexual preference has no part of being a Texan..Living free and being yourself whatever that self may be is being Texas
Yes, but when do you "draw the line"? Do you allow this enlightened attitude toward homo-sexuality progress to the point where grown men(or even woman) start to prey on children and that becomes acceptable? Wait wait wait... it already is acceptable among many circles. Click on this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NAMBLA)
I'm not asking the government to pass laws which restrict people's personal choices. It used to be peer pressure which kept folks who had unsavory desires and goals in check and I think that can still work. But with all this political correctness run amuck; good, decent folks speak out less and less when they see an abnormal behavior or action. You see things now as acceptable that used to be unacceptable or abominations to most of the population. Why is that? I think that the main seeds started in the 60's and followed through to late 70's(when
homo-sexuality was taken off the American Psychiatrists Association list of mental disorders). The progression of from which now has us celebrating these "alternative lifestyles" as folks who are heroic and trendy. It's all like this has never happened before in history. It has happened many times before from the Greeks to the Romans and so on. All for this attitude in which we pride ourselves as enlightened? I'd rather be a little wiser than what we consider "enlightened" these days.
I respect your right to your opinion so please continue this discussion.
I also know when I hear the value of wisdom from ODG and Pud, it's very refreshing to know there are many others who have the same values as I do.:)
I'll speak for myself here, but I do think
"gay" is not Texan. Am I saying we should all run them out of Texas? Not remotely, but it's still not Texan.

SintonFan
12-28-2006, 09:13 PM
I think your second sentence is pure BS.

We have some neighbors that live across the street from our house in Burnet. They constantly come in late, loud, drunk, throwing trash in their yard and on neighbor's property. They have a garage sale and three months later the crap that didn't sale (most of it) is still on the front porch. They pile old appliances, tires, trash, ect. in their yard. Its only removed after someone calls the city and complains. Their kids have all their black t shirted little thugs hanging out on the street with their scate boards all the time, trying to intimidate the older people on the street, leaving their trash where they throw it. (The older ones are now in jail after being caught vandlizing the schools last year, about $80,000.00 worth from what I remember)

THEY LIVE THEIR LIFE ON THEIR OWN ACCORD, NOT WORRIED ABOUT WHAT OTHERS THINK. Not caring what their doing to their neighbors and their property values, ect. Wev'e had three good families (one coach) put their houses on the market and try to move because of these people. I do not consider these people an example of what a Texan should be.
I agree with you. That post is a perfect example of what is the natural progression from what some of what Txbroadcaster has posted. I think that with greater freedom should come greater responsibility.

Txbroadcaster
12-28-2006, 10:07 PM
Yes, but when do you "draw the line"? Do you allow this enlightened attitude toward homo-sexuality progress to the point where grown men(or even woman) start to prey on children and that becomes acceptable? Wait wait wait... it already is acceptable among many circles. Click on this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NAMBLA)
I'm not asking the government to pass laws which restrict people's personal choices. It used to be peer pressure which kept folks who had unsavory desires and goals in check and I think that can still work. But with all this political correctness run amuck; good, decent folks speak out less and less when they see an abnormal behavior or action. You see things now as acceptable that used to be unacceptable or abominations to most of the population. Why is that? I think that the main seeds started in the 60's and followed through to late 70's(when
homo-sexuality was taken off the American Psychiatrists Association list of mental disorders). The progression of from which now has us celebrating these "alternative lifestyles" as folks who are heroic and trendy. It's all like this has never happened before in history. It has happened many times before from the Greeks to the Romans and so on. All for this attitude in which we pride ourselves as enlightened? I'd rather be a little wiser than what we consider "enlightened" these days.
I respect your right to your opinion so please continue this discussion.
I also know when I hear the value of wisdom from ODG and Pud, it's very refreshing to know there are many others who have the same values as I do.:)
I'll speak for myself here, but I do think
"gay" is not Texan. Am I saying we should all run them out of Texas? Not remotely, but it's still not Texan.

Oh I love the slippery slope argument. If they are messing with kids it is ILLEGAL..just as many "straight" people molest kids.

The house argument has no bearing on what we were talking about. I was talking about living your private life in your own accord. Not how you keep your house ot things like that. But I understand your feelings and respect it, just disagree

slpybear the bullfan
12-28-2006, 11:04 PM
Gents,

I humbly submit that being "Texan" involves two fantastic and precious elements...

1.) An independent streak that will not be broken by ANYONE.

2.) A FIERCE desire to be "Left Alone." i.e. PRIVACY.

I have read many a bit of text about our good ole Lone Star State and I have found these two traits to be a common thread running through the traditional Texan of the past... no matter race, creed, or county.

As you might guess, I heartily agree with both! ;)

slpybear the bullfan
12-28-2006, 11:07 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention my vote... I have two places...

1.) Plano. I spend about 30 days a year in the San Jose- Fremont CA area. They look the same.

2.) Lost Maples State Park. When the leaves turn you think you are up in the Sierra Nevadas.

Txbroadcaster
12-28-2006, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan
Gents,

I humbly submit that being "Texan" involves two fantastic and precious elements...

1.) An independent streak that will not be broken by ANYONE.

2.) A FIERCE desire to be "Left Alone." i.e. PRIVACY.

I have read many a bit of text about our good ole Lone Star State and I have found these two traits to be a common thread running through the traditional Texan of the past... no matter race, creed, or county.

As you might guess, I heartily agree with both! ;)

YEa that was what I was trying to say but somehow it got pushed into a sexuality corner.

olddawggreen
12-28-2006, 11:17 PM
The house argument has no bearing on what we were talking about. I was talking about living your private life in your own accord. Not how you keep your house ot things like that. But I understand your feelings and respect it, just disagree

The house argument has everything to do with what we were talking about, thats why I used your own words;

[Being a Texan is not about your political, sexual, or religious orientation. It is about living your life on you own accord, not worried about what others think. It is also about not worrying about how others live their life.]

One of the examples you gave was;

Its about living your life on your own accord, not worried about what others think.

The example I used with the neighbors and the house was a direct example of what its like when you have people that don't care about anyone other than themselves. That live their lives on their own accord with no consideration of the community and other people around them.
As far as; It also being about not worrying about how others live their life, thats all well and good until those others start to live their lives in a way that has a direct negative effect on you or others in the community.

Seems like I remember a group out in Alpine a few years ago called the "Republic of Texas" that had similar ideas.

:eek: Turns out very few of their leaders were actually from Texas.:rolleyes:

olddawggreen
12-28-2006, 11:21 PM
Might be because you added the sex thing to it. :rolleyes:

Txbroadcaster
12-28-2006, 11:32 PM
Might be because you added the sex thing to it.:rolleyes:

actually no i did not..someone else made a comment about what someone wears and then a brokeback mountain comment and I responded.

Youand I see things different, no problem with that, I respect your views, just dont agree, so no reason to keep going back and forth because I am not looking to change your mind, and I dont think your trying to change mind.

I just simply feel what you do in your home is your personal buisness in regards to your mate, simple as that.

LitanyofFury
12-28-2006, 11:32 PM
Regardless, Texas is the best state in the Union. Wouldn't wanna live anywhere else!

olddawggreen
12-28-2006, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by LitanyofFury
Regardless, Texas is the best state in the Union. Wouldn't wanna live anywhere else!

Ditto:clap:

olddawggreen
12-28-2006, 11:35 PM
actually no i did not..someone else made a comment about what someone wears and then a brokeback mountain comment and I responded.

Youand I see things different, no problem with that, I respect your views, just dont agree, so no reason to keep going back and forth because I am not looking to change your mind, and I dont think your trying to change mind.

I just simply feel what you do in your home is your personal buisness in regards to your mate, simple as that.

Not really concerned what you do behind your closed door with your mates. Just don't crap in my yard ;)

olddawggreen
12-28-2006, 11:37 PM
http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/4769/analphilosophercimg1532qd1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Txbroadcaster
12-28-2006, 11:38 PM
Just don't crap in my yard;)

I try to crap in my own at all times LOL

SintonFan
12-29-2006, 01:23 AM
I try to crap in my own at all times LOL
Let me know when you move into my neighborhood.:D

SintonFan
12-29-2006, 01:31 AM
YEa that was what I was trying to say but somehow it got pushed into a sexuality corner.
I didn't push you into a corner there. I DID mention the whole "guy wearing stuff to basically not cover stuff"(paisleys and whatnot) and then you made reference to sexuality as something that is personal and a choice and TEXAN. I disagreed with that and made counterpoints(poorly but still).

Bandera YaYa
12-29-2006, 01:59 AM
Yes they do, Such as the famous Leslie;

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/554/leslievo2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Who always hung out in downtown Austin everyday on Congress Avenue. This guy actually ran for City Council and I think Mayor. People in Austin loved this guy, always people walking up and giving him money. Its funny what you let yourself get used to.
:eek: :( Well, I live in the "Coyboy Capital of the World" and it doesn't get more Texan than this! And if this Leslie person showed up on our streets, dressed like that, he'd be picked up by the law, PDQ !! He represents NOTHING Texan....if Austin loves him, well we have our opinions about Austin, too! Telling yourself he represents true frontier values is just hog wash and plain sad. :(

SintonFan
12-29-2006, 02:15 AM
Oh I love the slippery slope argument. If they are messing with kids it is ILLEGAL..just as many "straight" people molest kids.

How is this a slippery slope? The difference here is you never see "straight" people trying to legalize what they do(molesting kids), but you do see many gays trying to legalize their ability to molest kids their same sex(hence Nambla was born). Without agreeing with me you somewhat agreed with me, slippery slope or not. But to bring up that "straight" folks molest children kinda makes one to say both are equal. I have my values from HIM which are pretty black and white, so to me what NAMBLA does is in essence a double crime. That does NOT take away from the heinousness of each crime but does compound one.
Going back to the original argument...
it IS not Texan to be "gay". That's why we are talking this.
That is also why what ODG mentioned in the house argument becomes pertinent. When you say "It is about living your life on you own accord, not worried about what others think", you kinda change what IS Texan. If that was true then why do we worry about crime? Is it Texan to be OK with that? Your logic would seem to suggest that since it is ok to be "on your own accord" and "not worry about what others think" that this is acceptable. I beg to differ.
I am always fascinated that those who have opinions who defend abhorrences(imho) seem to have an "enlightened" opinion(not saying you are that at all Txbc). I guess I am tired of my values being looked down upon by those "in the know" and considered "old-fashioned". The way I see it there are things we should all aspire to but those sames things are being muted by a cacophony of abnormal acceptance. It is frustrating when you do try to stand up for something that is traditional and right, folks out there say you are wrong for your Christian beliefs.
I'm tired and retire....
for now.:D

TarponFanInNorthTexas
12-29-2006, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by Pudlugger
Give me some authentic Tex/Mex and Corona anytime and we'll talk Texan all night.:D

Ok, as long as we're drinkin' Corona and eatin' some GOOD Mexican food at one of South Padre Island's FINE restaurants (Port Isabel's got some too), and just chillin' out, I'm fine with that!

Someone mentioned Roma earlier.....agreed that place is a dump. From personal experience (and opinion), I think the only towns in the Rio Grande Valley that are the most "Texan Like" are Port Isabel/South Padre Island, Los Fresnos, La Feria, Mercedes, Weslaco, and Mission.

Ranger Mom
12-29-2006, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by Bandera YaYa
Well, I live in the "Coyboy Capital of the World" and it doesn't get more Texan than this! And if this Leslie person showed up on our streets, dressed like that, he'd be picked up by the law, PDQ !! He represents NOTHING Texan....if Austin loves him, well we have our opinions about Austin, too! Telling yourself he represents true frontier values is just hog wash and plain sad. :(

AMEN SISTER!!:clap: :clap:

LitanyofFury
12-29-2006, 10:47 AM
Seriously, if all you want to focus on when talking about Austin is Leslie and his thong and the gay population. . .that's pretty sad. Regardless, they're STILL TEXANS! Besides, most people there are fairly normal, beer drinkin', fun lovin', football crazy folks just like everyone else in the State. They just happen to have a great college there, the seat of government there, and they have open-minds about dealing with people.

There's a reason Austin is ranked in the Top 10 for best cities to live in. It's a great place and I'm glad we have it!

charlesrixey
12-29-2006, 10:53 AM
So anyway, back to the original thread:

I have lived all over that blue section of Dallas, but i like to think that i have experienced enough of the rest of the state to feel pretty good about my texas-ness

Cities i have lived

Mesquite
Dallas (apartment near preston road on arapaho)
Carrollton (6 years)
Celina (8 years)
Plano
Frisco
Allen (where my parents are now, they moved from Celina after i joined the service)

My dad has lived in:

Addison
Longview (for 12 years)

My Wife is from:

Waxahachie

and lived in

Garland (a teensy when she was young)

and her family is from:

Riesel
Waco
Mexia

and i lived with a girl from Stanton once

so 'ive been around

Since i've been around most of the state, i'd say i can safely call myself texan, although i was born in mississippi!

bobcat1
12-29-2006, 11:39 AM
Seriously, if all you want to focus on when talking about Austin is Leslie and his thong and the gay population. . .that's pretty sad. Regardless, they're STILL TEXANS! Besides, most people there are fairly normal, beer drinkin', fun lovin', football crazy folks just like everyone else in the State. They just happen to have a great college there, the seat of government there, and they have open-minds about dealing with people.

There's a reason Austin is ranked in the Top 10 for best cities to live in. It's a great place and I'm glad we have it!
It is also ranked as the #1 place for a gay man to find a husband.

http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/wuerg/vomit-smiley-014.gif http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/wuerg/vomit-smiley-014.gif

LitanyofFury
12-29-2006, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by bobcat1
It is also ranked as the #1 place for a gay man to find a husband.

http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/wuerg/vomit-smiley-014.gif http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/wuerg/vomit-smiley-014.gif

Ok. . .and that means what? That instead of the homosexual population making up 1% of everyone in the city like most places it's at 2% in Austin? Seriously, I know some guys from down there and they say they hardly ever bump into anyone like that. Just down in Austin you don't get burned at the stake for wanting to pork people of the same sex like you do in the other parts of the state.

In fact, here in Abilene there's a LOT of homosexuals. They all go hang out at the IHOP late at night. One of the guys I knew back in highschool. . .played football and everything. . .saw him for the first time the other day. . .and his boyfriend was the biggest flamer I'd ever seen! People with different sexual preferences are all over the place, not just Austin, TX. Better get used to it too because it only seems to be getting worse.

bobcat1
12-29-2006, 02:08 PM
Never as long as there is a God in Heaven will I get used to it. Speaking of Flamers, they will get hot before too long once they die.:flaming:

Ranger Mom
12-29-2006, 02:34 PM
Never as long as there is a God in Heaven will I get used to it.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

LitanyofFury
12-29-2006, 02:39 PM
Shrug. I thought Jesus said to love your neighbor as yourself and to go out and preach the word....

Sounds like a lot of you are just talking bad about people instead of working to change them....

Just my humble opinion.

TheDOCTORdre
12-29-2006, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by JJ7997
I would have to say right here in El Paso, Chihuahua. I honestly dont know who drives worse, Chihuahuans or Iraqis in Baghdad, and I speak from experience.

i would have to agree with hell paso

Ranger Mom
12-29-2006, 02:56 PM
Shrug. I thought Jesus said to love your neighbor as yourself and to go out and preach the word....

Sounds like a lot of you are just talking bad about people instead of working to change them....

Just my humble opinion.

Just because I don't agree with it doesn't mean I am talking bad about them.

I had a cousin who was gay...we were 4 months apart, so we were fairly close.

He KNEW his lifestyle was wrong but didn't know how to change it, there was nothing we in the family could do or say to him that made him feel any better.

So....he took, what he considered, the easy way out.....he committed suicide.

I loved him....but I never accepted his gay lifestyle.

bobcat1
12-29-2006, 03:09 PM

Just my humble opinion.

I said "Never as long as there is a God in Heaven will I get used to it. Speaking of Flamers, they will get hot before too long once they die." Let me rephrase that. I will never accept it or anyone that is. They will split hell wide open unless they repent. Repent means to turn away from it not say I am sorry and keep on violating God's laws.

Fair Question Litany? Are you gay or democrat?:p

LitanyofFury
12-29-2006, 03:23 PM
I said "Never as long as there is a God in Heaven will I get used to it. Speaking of Flamers, they will get hot before too long once they die." Let me rephrase that. I will never accept it or anyone that is. They will split hell wide open unless they repent. Repent means to turn away from it not say I am sorry and keep on violating God's laws.

Fair Question Litany? Are you gay or democrat?:p

No. And no. Libertarian. I think people should be able to do what they wanna do as long as they don't bother anyone else or violate other people's rights. I don't mix church and state.;)

Never said I liked their lifestyle either. Just said I wasn't going to go around bad-mouthing them because they don't believe like I do. And saying they're headed straight for hell is bad-mouthing them, admit it.

big daddy russ
12-29-2006, 03:47 PM

Just my humble opinion.
Since you're playing the religion card, I'll bite. One of the more well-known evangelists used to say, "Hate the sin, love the sinner." Many churches today have adopted that philosophy. So have I.

I'm not a strong Christian anymore and don't claim to be, but I still try to stick to that philosophy. I have three friends who are gay. Every single one of them knows that I don't approve of their lifestyle, but I don't badger them about it. They know, but they also know I won't tell them what they don't want to hear unless they're ready to hear it.

Texas as a whole has very deep Christian roots. Most of the early white pioneers of this state were Protestant. The vast majority of the early Mexican settlers during our first years as a nation were Catholic. As a sixth-generation Texan, I can honestly say we still maintain those strong ties to our Christian heritage.

But another side of our heritage is that fierce independence. And by fierce independence, I'm not talking about doing whatever you want whenever you want. I'm talking about the idea that we can make it on our own. We don't need anyone but Momma telling us what we can't do, and we definitely don't respond well to those who would like us to be more gentle, politically correct people.

So based on our mostly-Christian background and our unrelenting will, it's going to be a tough row to get most Texans to think the way the rest of the world thinks. Most everyone else sees us as strong-willed, highly-opinionated people that aren't afraid to tell someone what we think. They're right.

That brings us full-circle back to the whole "Where is Texas not like Texas?" debate. And even though homosexuality may be a newly-accepted establishment through most of the world, this is not most of the world. Combine our strong ties to a Christian background with our fierce independence and unwillingness to just accept what someone else tries to tell us is "just natural" and I have to agree with everyone else who said that it's just not Texan.

I know you love you some Austin. And I know you'll fight to the death to preserve Austin as the greatest city this side of Houston. But to say that what Austin has evolved into is the embodiment of all things Texas is rediculous. Take Leslie and stick him/her out in Strawn for a Saturday night. Or drop him off in Hooks, Daingerfield, Smithville, or Post. Let him hang out in one of those towns for a while.

The simple fact of the matter is that while Austin isn't quite anti-Texan like Houston and Dallas (and yes, they strongly dislike real Texans), it's definitely not the embodiment of our great state.

So while I still won't classify Austin as merely a "city in Texas" like I do Big D and H-Town, it's hardly a "Texan city." It's a great place to visit and I may actually wind up living on the outskirts of the city, but a city with the second-largest percentage of homosexuals in the US is hardly representative of Texas.

PS: The evangelist I was talking about in the first paragraph was Saint Augustine back in the fifth century.

olddawggreen
12-29-2006, 03:49 PM
Seriously, if all you want to focus on when talking about Austin is Leslie and his thong and the gay population. . .that's pretty sad. Regardless, they're STILL TEXANS!

I agree, anyone that lives in Texas is considered a Texan, but that doesn't mean they have Traditional Texas Values, which in the past has had a lot to do with what people have traditionaly considered what it means to be Texan. I have a good friend that was born in Texas, but had parents that were born and raised up north. While he may be a Texan, he has never expierenced real Texas values, and after your around him awhile he comes off as more of a Yankee than a Texan. I've always jokingly said that it takes 2 or 3 generations with some time spent in a rural setting to really get it as to what real traditional Texas values are.

It wasn't that many years ago that Texas was a rural state, and not too many years before that, out of staters were not extreemly welcome in most parts of Texas. This had a lot to do with reconstruction after the civil war, which was a time that many carpet baggers, shysters and basic theifs flooded Texas from the north and other parts of the country.
What we consider to be Traditional Texas Values were formed in the early years of Texas. It seems that they are found to be alive and well more in the rural areas of Texas or amoung people who have relocated to the cities, but have still retained their ties to the rural upbringing or roots.

Being Republican or Democrat really doesn't have a lot to do with it as much as being conservative or liberal does. Texas was basicly a Democrat state until the early 80's, but the majority of Democrats were very conservative. It was largely because of the liberalization of the National Democratic party that pushed many Texan's to begin to vote Republican, but Democrats in rural areas still tend to be conservative when it comes to what they consider traditional Texas values. It seems more and more it becomes an urban, rural thing. With more and more people moving to Texas from out of state and more and more Texans living in the cities, becoming more distant from their rural past, values are changing in some areas.

I think its important to remember that although we have seen many changes in recent years, it was traditional values that made this state and country what it is.

bobcat1
12-29-2006, 04:00 PM
And saying they're headed straight for hell is bad-mouthing them, admit it.
Nope just calling it like it is. If you choose that life and die in that life you will go to hell period.

charlesrixey
12-29-2006, 05:55 PM
this went from a dialogue about suburbia and urban sprawl to religious convictions.

It's not like everyone in Texas before the 1990's was steadfastly devout

olddawggreen
12-29-2006, 05:56 PM
Since you're playing the religion card, I'll bite. One of the more well-known evangelists used to say, "Hate the sin, love the sinner." Many churches today have adopted that philosophy. So have I.

I'm not a strong Christian anymore and don't claim to be, but I still try to stick to that philosophy. I have three friends who are gay. Every single one of them knows that I don't approve of their lifestyle, but I don't badger them about it. They know, but they also know I won't tell them what they don't want to hear unless they're ready to hear it.

Texas as a whole has very deep Christian roots. Most of the early white pioneers of this state were Protestant. The vast majority of the early Mexican settlers during our first years as a nation were Catholic. As a sixth-generation Texan, I can honestly say we still maintain those strong ties to our Christian heritage.

But another side of our heritage is that fierce independence. And by fierce independence, I'm not talking about doing whatever you want whenever you want. I'm talking about the idea that we can make it on our own. We don't need anyone but Momma telling us what we can't do, and we definitely don't respond well to those who would like us to be more gentle, politically correct people.

So based on our mostly-Christian background and our unrelenting will, it's going to be a tough row to get most Texans to think the way the rest of the world thinks. Most everyone else sees us as strong-willed, highly-opinionated people that aren't afraid to tell someone what we think. They're right.

That brings us full-circle back to the whole "Where is Texas not like Texas?" debate. And even though homosexuality may be a newly-accepted establishment through most of the world, this is not most of the world. Combine our strong ties to a Christian background with our fierce independence and unwillingness to just accept what someone else tries to tell us is "just natural" and I have to agree with everyone else who said that it's just not Texan.

I know you love you some Austin. And I know you'll fight to the death to preserve Austin as the greatest city this side of Houston. But to say that what Austin has evolved into is the embodiment of all things Texas is rediculous. Take Leslie and stick him/her out in Strawn for a Saturday night. Or drop him off in Hooks, Daingerfield, Smithville, or Post. Let him hang out in one of those towns for a while.

The simple fact of the matter is that while Austin isn't quite anti-Texan like Houston and Dallas (and yes, they strongly dislike real Texans), it's definitely not the embodiment of our great state.

So while I still won't classify Austin as merely a "city in Texas" like I do Big D and H-Town, it's hardly a "Texan city." It's a great place to visit and I may actually wind up living on the outskirts of the city, but a city with the second-largest percentage of homosexuals in the US is hardly representative of Texas.

PS: The evangelist I was talking about in the first paragraph was Saint Augustine back in the fifth century.

Very well put BDR:)

Black_Magic
12-29-2006, 06:20 PM

He KNEW his lifestyle was wrong but didn't know how to change it, there was nothing we in the family could do or say to him that made him feel any better.

I loved him....but I never accepted his gay lifestyle. We Love PMONEY too.. we dont accept his lifestyle but we love him.:clap: :p

SWMustang
12-29-2006, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by Black_Magic
We Love PMONEY too.. we dont accept his lifestyle but we love him.:clap: :p

What lifestyle? is he gay?

Pudlugger
12-29-2006, 08:38 PM

I loved him....but I never accepted his gay lifestyle.

So sad. Love the sinner, hate the sin.

Pudlugger
12-29-2006, 08:44 PM
I agree, anyone that lives in Texas is considered a Texan, but that doesn't mean they have Traditional Texas Values, which in the past has had a lot to do with what people have traditionaly considered what it means to be Texan. I have a good friend that was born in Texas, but had parents that were born and raised up north. While he may be a Texan, he has never expierenced real Texas values, and after your around him awhile he comes off as more of a Yankee than a Texan. I've always jokingly said that it takes 2 or 3 generations with some time spent in a rural setting to really get it as to what real traditional Texas values are.

It wasn't that many years ago that Texas was a rural state, and not too many years before that, out of staters were not extreemly welcome in most parts of Texas. This had a lot to do with reconstruction after the civil war, which was a time that many carpet baggers, shysters and basic theifs flooded Texas from the north and other parts of the country.
What we consider to be Traditional Texas Values were formed in the early years of Texas. It seems that they are found to be alive and well more in the rural areas of Texas or amoung people who have relocated to the cities, but have still retained their ties to the rural upbringing or roots.

Being Republican or Democrat really doesn't have a lot to do with it as much as being conservative or liberal does. Texas was basicly a Democrat state until the early 80's, but the majority of Democrats were very conservative. It was largely because of the liberalization of the National Democratic party that pushed many Texan's to begin to vote Republican, but Democrats in rural areas still tend to be conservative when it comes to what they consider traditional Texas values. It seems more and more it becomes an urban, rural thing. With more and more people moving to Texas from out of state and more and more Texans living in the cities, becoming more distant from their rural past, values are changing in some areas.

I think its important to remember that although we have seen many changes in recent years, it was traditional values that made this state and country what it is.

Yes!:clap: :clap: :clap:

SintonFan
12-29-2006, 08:47 PM

:clap:
Great post!:clap:

LitanyofFury
12-29-2006, 11:19 PM
Since when is Leslie representative of Austin as a whole?:confused:

Last time I checked he's THE ONLY dude walking around in buttless chaps with a leopard skin thong while running for mayor....

Again, all of you are trying to take the small minority of people in Austin and use them to classify the whole. The only difference with Austin than the rest of Texas is that:

A) It has better live music than anywhere else

B) It has a more educated population (don't get pissed, it's fact. 40+% of the city supposedly has a bachelor's degree or better).

C) It houses the second largest college campus in the nation.

Other than that the people in Austin are the same as people everywhere else across Texas.

SintonFan
12-30-2006, 12:46 AM

Last time I checked he's THE ONLY dude walking around in buttless chaps with a leopard skin thong while running for mayor....

Again, all of you are trying to take the small minority of people in Austin and use them to classify the whole. The only difference with Austin than the rest of Texas is that:

B) It has a more educated population (don't get pissed, it's fact. 40+% of the city supposedly has a bachelor's degree or better).

Other than that the people in Austin are the same as people everywhere else across Texas.
Noone is saying that all of Austin is not Texan just about 42% of them.:D
A) So Seatle, LA and NY has better live music than Austin. Maybe I should move to one of those places? Nah, they are just as bad as Austin.:p
B) lol That wouldn't piss me off. It's just makes them better argue-errs errs.:doh:
C) Also still has the biggest gift baskets
in Texas consisting of fruits and nuts. Hmmmm...
Nothing wrong with having the 2nd largest college campus. We're all about the whole creed "Everything is bigger in Texas". At least THATS Texan.:clap:

big daddy russ
12-30-2006, 03:01 AM

You don't visit Austin much, do you?

They have the second-highest homosexual population in the nation (according to estimates) only to San Francisco, their city-wide motto is "Keep Austin Weird," and it's one of the bluest areas north of Corpus Christi.

I agree about A, B, C, and the fact that Leslie's the only guy running around in buttless champs while running for mayor. But take out the "while running for mayor" part and you're talking about half of the bar district in Austin.

It's been about two years since I've partied down there, but I think it's Fifth Street that's the gay area. I know it's like a block away from Sixth Street, and if you walk around any given Thursday or Saturday night you're bound to see that kind of stuff all over the place.

If you don't believe me about this, check this story (http://kutv.com/topstories/local_story_161181301.html) from KUTV in Salt Lake City and what it had to say about Austin...

Major cities with high levels of same-sex couples per capita include San Francisco, Oakland, Calif., Seattle, Fort Lauderdale, Fla., and Austin, Texas, according to The Gay and Lesbian Atlas, published last year by Urban Institute demographer Gary Gates and researcher Jason Ost using 2000 census data. [/B]

Sorry man, but if you're going to try to tell me that Leslie's the only homeless transvestite running around, you're spinning your wheels. I've actually been there, hung out, partied, all that good stuff way too many times to buy what you're selling.

Now if you're just saying that he's the only one running for mayor, I'd believe that.

Like I said earlier, Austin's a helluva town and a great time waiting to happen, but it doesn't embody everything Texan. And this is coming from a guy who wants to wind up in Wimberley, Dripping Springs, etc when I finally settle down.