PDA

View Full Version : Clearly two best teams

GreenMachine
12-28-2006, 12:07 AM
I will probably get hammered for this, but so what. I have bit my tongue long enough. I kept reading that CLEARLY the two best 3a division two teams made it to the finals and CLEARLY was always in caps. LH won, but they also got beat by Wimberley and Cuero. Cuero got beat by Wimberley, who got beat by Hondo, who got beat by LH, who got beat by, well you know the circle. In addition, LH beat Giddings, who beat Wimberley, who beat LH. Celina didn't play any of these teams and got beat by LH. I tell you that you are splitting hairs when talking about any of these teams and any of these teams could have beaten the other on any given night. Like I said, I will probably get hammered, but it is just a thought. I said before, the two that got to the finals deserved it, but not CLEARLY. ;) :)

Bandera YaYa
12-28-2006, 12:17 AM
IMHO, it's never about who is the best team.....it's just about who gets to play for the ring....if you're not playing for the ring, it really doesn't matter how good you were.

SintonFan
12-28-2006, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by GreenMachine
I will probably get hammered for this, but so what. I have bit my tongue long enough. I kept reading that CLEARLY the two best 3a division two teams made it to the finals and CLEARLY was always in caps. Well I gave each team their dues, but ya'll weren't CLEARLY the two best teams. LH won, but they also got beat by Wimberley and Cuero. Cuero got beat by Wimberley, who got beat by Hondo, who got beat by LH, who got beat by, well you know the circle. In addition, LH beat Giddings, who beat Wimberley, who beat LH. Celina didn't play any of these teams and got beat by LH. So, CLEARLY is a stretch. I tell you that you are splitting hairs when talking about any of these teams and any of these teams could have beaten the other on any given night. Like I said, I will probably get hammered, but it is just a thought. I said before, the two that got to the finals deserved it, but not CLEARLY. ;) :)
So are you saying LH and Celina are the two best teams this year? No one is gonna "monkey stomp" you so just list your two best teams.:p :clap: :thinking:

Txbroadcaster
12-28-2006, 12:24 AM
To decide the REAL two best teams I have an idea

Instead of a play-off we will go by a number of polls voted by writers and coaches...factor in a couple of computer polls to balance strength of schedule and what not, then at the end of the year the top 2 teams play in a State Final..We will call it....

The Texas HS BS Title Game

pirate4state
12-28-2006, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster

Instead of a play-off we will go by a number of polls voted by writers and coaches...factor in a couple of computer polls to balance strength of schedule and what not, then at the end of the year the top 2 teams play in a State Final..We will call it....

The Texas HS BS Title Game

:clap: :clap: I like it!!! ;) :cool: :hairpunk:

SintonFan
12-28-2006, 12:30 AM
The BS title game haha.

GreenMachine
12-28-2006, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by SintonFan
So are you saying LH and Celina are the two best teams this year? No one is gonna "monkey stomp" you so just list your two best teams.:p :clap: :thinking: I said that LH and Celina were deserving of being there and the two best teams. I also have said that LH very much deserved the championship. I was saying that their were a lot of teams that were very even in talent and desire, but only two can make it. My hat is still off to those two. :)

GreenMachine
12-28-2006, 12:37 AM

The Texas HS BS Title Game Not what I meant at all, but leave it to you to come up with that.

Bull Butter
12-28-2006, 12:38 AM
In 2002, Bandera won the title despite losing 2 District games and finishing 3rd in their district. I'm pretty sure that 4 years later, not one official from UIL has showed up at Bandera High School and attempted to take back the State Champioship trophy, saying they didn't deserve it.

Bottom line------LH earned their championship ON THE FIELD. We're not talking about who had the best team in September, we're talking about RIGHT NOW!

GreenMachine
12-28-2006, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by Bull Butter
In 2002, Bandera won the title despite losing 2 District games and finishing 3rd in their district. I'm pretty sure that 4 years later, not one official from UIL has showed up at Bandera High School and attempted to take back the State Champioship trophy, saying they didn't deserve it.

Bottom line------LH earned their championship ON THE FIELD. We're not talking about who had the best team in September, we're talking about RIGHT NOW! Ok, what I meant by this whole thread was that there were a lot of real good 3a teams out there this year which made for some great football, and I never said they didn't deserve it. I always said they did! ;) :)

pirate4state
12-28-2006, 12:42 AM
Ok, what I meant by this whole thread was that there were a lot of real good 3a teams out there this year which made for some great football. ;) :)

CLEARLY! ;) :D

Txbroadcaster
12-28-2006, 12:50 AM
Not what I meant at all, but leave it to you to come up with that.

leave it to me??? I was just using the thread to post a lame joke. I totally understand what you mean.

Winning a title is not about always being the best..it is about getting on a roll at the right time. Ciaches say it ALL THE TIME..They dont want to peak to early, they want the team to be on a rise and then hit that peak once the play-offs begin.

lion75
12-28-2006, 12:51 AM
I was just wondering if my Vernon Lions would have made it to 2 semifinals in 4 years if they would have had to have been voted in by a Texas BCS.

GreenMachine
12-28-2006, 12:59 AM
I think that what makes football great, especially in 3a, is that there is not a clear dominant team. Coaching staffs have done a great job with their teams. How boring would it be if we had one team that was clearly head and shoulders above the rest. There were probably 15 or so teams, that if they got on a roll at the right time, would have had a shot at the championship. :thumbsup:

Bandera YaYa
12-28-2006, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by Bull Butter

...over my dead body!!!!! :eek: :D

loyalleopard
12-28-2006, 01:44 AM
According to the final analysis, Liberty-Eylau & Liberty Hill are the two BEST Teams in Class 3A.

It's not where you start, its where you FINISH!

Adidas410s
12-28-2006, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by Bandera YaYa
IMHO, it's never about who is the best team.....it's just about who gets to play for the ring....if you're not playing for the ring, it really doesn't matter how good you were.

true...because if we went on "the best team" (take that to mean whatever you want) then many people would still want to put Gilmer in the discussion. However...since they lost in bi-district nobody even mentions them.

Ranger Mom
12-28-2006, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
true...because if we went on "the best team" (take that to mean whatever you want) then many people would still want to put Gilmer in the discussion. However...since they lost in bi-district nobody even mentions them.

We had a discussion with buckeye80 at sintonfan's house and all agreed that the 2 best teams aren't always the ones in the State Championship matchup!!

Adidas410s
12-28-2006, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
We had a discussion with buckeye80 at sintonfan's house and all agreed that the 2 best teams aren't always the ones in the State Championship matchup!!
Way to make him feel better. It's a small consolation prize! :thumbsup:

GreenMachine
12-28-2006, 12:16 PM
Leave it to the downlow crowd to spin this thread however they want. I said Celina and LH were the two best teams, I am not disputing that, as they are the ones who made the finals. But,when you say CLEARLY they WERE the two BEST teams, you are saying, IMHO, that they were two untouchable, dominating teams. That is not the case, as there was a lot of parity in the 3a ranks, in region 3 and 4 especially (don't know about region 1 and 2).

44INAROW
12-28-2006, 12:18 PM

I think that is a fair statement :cool:

Adidas410s
12-28-2006, 12:20 PM
I said Celina and LH were the two best teams, I am not disputing that, as they are the ones who made the finals.

did TL-E and Robinson not make the finals as well??? :confused:

BTEXDAD
12-28-2006, 12:20 PM

The Texas HS BS Title Game :clap: :clap:

For some reason when i read this, tx I laughed aloud. Good post!

SintonFan
12-28-2006, 12:25 PM
I don't remember what we talked about.:doh: Was I part of that conversation? :D I didn't have anywhere to go so I kinda "cut loose"... ;)

BILLYFRED0000
12-28-2006, 12:43 PM

No but they are the ones that are still winning at the end of the season and have the best playoff record. Since it is usually the best playing the best then it is arguable that the best two are still standing. You can debate it all day long but only two get to play for the ring. Everything else is moot. Nice thing about 3a is there is a certain amount of parity. It is hard to dominate like Celina did in 2a. I think you can but not for long unless you have a system like LH and Celina where continuity plays into it. Keep the same system long enough with enough good players coming thru and who knows. SLC is doing it now in 5a.

44INAROW
12-28-2006, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
I don't remember what we talked about.:doh: Was I part of that conversation? :D I didn't have anywhere to go so I kinda "cut loose"... ;)

we didn't see THOSE pictures SF :D

buff4life
12-28-2006, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
did TL-E and Robinson not make the finals as well??? :confused:

IMO...LH and Celina were better than LE..by a fair margin.

Dogman_1969
12-28-2006, 03:45 PM

Ranger Mom I think this is the first time I disagree with you. I guess great minds don't always think alike....

I think that the 2 best teams are in the title game. Here me out. I think that there were several teams that had superior athletes, some with multiple kids that will get 4 yr rides to play football as well as other sports. I think the Best TEAMS are in the title games because they find a way to prevail, be it with grit, muscle, never say die attitude and most of all heart. And I think that is why LHill won this year. They always played with heart and played as one unit.

Not all teams that have superior athletes understand you have to have one heartbeat.................

keep up the good work on the downlow....................

tigerpride_08
12-28-2006, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by loyalleopard
According to the final analysis, Liberty-Eylau & Liberty Hill are the two BEST Teams in Class 3A.

It's not where you start, its where you FINISH!

i like how that sounds...

charlesrixey
12-29-2006, 11:35 AM
I have to agree with Ranger mom on this one

Last year, Highland Park Beat Marshall 59-0 in the championship game

in 1998, SA Macarthur was crushed 52-0 (although they were called up after Katy was declared ineligible)

Highland Park played two close games, with stephenville and Texarkana Texas, before winning the title. Sometimes the other half of the bracket just isn't as strong

That being said, Celina may have had an easy bracket but was likely the no 2 team in the state, as it ended up. Seeing as how Liberty Hill handled Giddings and Hondo fairly well, i don't know how south texas teams could complain that Cuero, Hondo or Wimberley were equal to or better than Celina

44INAROW
12-29-2006, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by charlesrixey
i don't know how south texas teams could complain that Cuero, Hondo or Wimberley were equal to or better than Celina

except for the fact that Cuero and Wimberley both beat a team Celina didn't

I might have misunderstood what you said - but in case I didn't...

charlesrixey
12-29-2006, 11:38 AM
I think most observers would say the Division I championship game was not a battle of the top 2 or even 4 teams

Robinson and LE were probably not as good as Celina or LH, and i won't even bring the stats in here to back me up.

But Texarkana is the state champions in Division I, and deservedly so

Snydertigersrul
12-29-2006, 11:39 AM

The two best teams don't always make it to the championship game due to how the UIL sets up the pairings. But this year the two best teams did play in the championship game in both divisions.

charlesrixey
12-29-2006, 11:44 AM
At the end of the year, Liberty Hill beat teams that were favored against them because of results in the regular season against similar opponents.

Liberty Hill won when it mattered, and obviously was playing at a much higher level than earlier in the season, when they lost back to back games by 4 points apiece to two top 10 teams

Hondo certainly beat Wimberley fairly well, and Liberty Hill disposed of them, and inversely Liberty Hill beat Giddings, whom had beaten Wimberley during the regular season.

So it appears the regular season didn't factor in too terribly to the final standings. This is why i didn't talk about Celina's 45-14 win against Robinson or Wimberley's 35-14 win against LE

In the playoffs, Celina played LH to a standstill, won by a last second field goal

Did anyone else come close to that in the post-season? No

dogdad
12-29-2006, 12:09 PM
I'm gonna defend Robinson and LE a little.........
I believe LE was without their RB #6 when they played Wimberly and may have neen without the QB as well. LE is a different team without either of those 2 players. Also, LE is a team that rose to whatever level was necessary to win during the play-offs. I can tell you that after the LE-Royse City game, I felt that RC had the better team. I'm sure Robinson felt the same, as did Gilmer, but in retrospect, LE did what was necessary in each game to win. I don't know what Robinson's situation was in the early season, but after watching them in the finals I can tell you Celina fans that Robinson was REAL good in week 15 and would have been difficult for anyone to beat. I honestly think that LE, Robinson, LH, and Celina could all play each other and it would be tough to pick a winner. Another thing to keep in mind is that Gilmer was the greatest collection of 3A talent and the greatest thing since sliced bread and LE beat them. You cannot compare results from earlier in the season and get a fair assessment of who is the best at the end of the season. LE and LH are the 2 best teams in the great state this year!

txkmom
12-29-2006, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by dogdad
I'm gonna defend Robinson and LE a little.........
I believe LE was without their RB #6 when they played Wimberly and may have neen without the QB as well. LE is a different team without either of those 2 players. Also, LE is a team that rose to whatever level was necessary to win during the play-offs. I can tell you that after the LE-Royse City game, I felt that RC had the better team. I'm sure Robinson felt the same, as did Gilmer, but in retrospect, LE did what was necessary in each game to win. I don't know what Robinson's situation was in the early season, but after watching them in the finals I can tell you Celina fans that Robinson was REAL good in week 15 and would have been difficult for anyone to beat. I honestly think that LE, Robinson, LH, and Celina could all play each other and it would be tough to pick a winner. Another thing to keep in mind is that Gilmer was the greatest collection of 3A talent and the greatest thing since sliced bread and LE beat them. You cannot compare results from earlier in the season and get a fair assessment of who is the best at the end of the season. LE and LH are the 2 best teams in the great state this year!

I agree with you, dogdad. If you look at either team or individual stats, LE comes in behind almost everyone they played, but still pulled the wins. Chemistry played a big part, as did turnovers both forced and gifted. Coaching and preparation for each individual matchup was key as they approached each team very differently and didn't so much rely on the tried-and-proven, but what would work against each opponent best that week.

dogdad
12-29-2006, 04:43 PM
sometimes we get so caught up in stats, records, common opponents, strength of schedule, Massey Ratings, etc. that we fail to appreciate some things that should be apparent to us. Liberty Eylau is an example of what I'm talking about. They did not always win the game stats, they did not always dominate an opponent. However they did always come up with the key offensive play or the big defensive stop when the game was on the line. That is as much a mark of a champion as anything you can say about a team. "Just win baby".

Black_Magic
12-29-2006, 05:12 PM
sometimes we get so caught up in stats, records, common opponents, strength of schedule, Massey Ratings, etc. that we fail to appreciate some things that should be apparent to us. DING DING DING!!! And folks we have a winner!!!:clap: :wave: :crazy: :thumbsup: :clap:

BILLYFRED0000
12-29-2006, 06:59 PM
sometimes we get so caught up in stats, records, common opponents, strength of schedule, Massey Ratings, etc. that we fail to appreciate some things that should be apparent to us. Liberty Eylau is an example of what I'm talking about. They did not always win the game stats, they did not always dominate an opponent. However they did always come up with the key offensive play or the big defensive stop when the game was on the line. That is as much a mark of a champion as anything you can say about a team. "Just win baby".

Well said, well said. Celina never thought at the out set of the season that we would be as good as we were. Lots of injuries few returning starters but the kids just kept on coming. Here is to all the teams that kept overcomin....:clap: :clap: :clap: