PDA

View Full Version : The Only Town in Texas Where...

whtfbplaya
11-15-2002, 02:40 PM
Wharton, Texas is the only town in Texas where your starting running back can fail art going into the playoffs. He was the district leading rusher with 66 carries and 1100 yards in 5 district games. It would be one thing if he was a problem, but he is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet. He is very coachable and plays hard. I mean art, :mad: art ******* art he passes english, math and the ******* art teacher fails him. Some college will find this guy and you will probably see him play on saturday's some day.

BIG19
11-15-2002, 02:45 PM
What a blow to the team. But do you REALLY think it is the teachers fault? Seems to me that the student/athlete has to take the brunt of this one. Everyone knows you have to pass all classes in order to compete. Seems that the coaches were also not doing the checking that they should have been doing going into the post season. All I can say, is oh well and best of luck tonight.

whtfbplaya
11-15-2002, 03:08 PM
Yes, I blame the student to SOME extent, but this is a teacher who has done this in the past to. I think he likes the power.

BIG19
11-15-2002, 03:12 PM
Just doesn't make any since to pick on one person. Did the teacher fail many other students? Seems if the student/athlete is not in the wrong, then he should be able to prove he is passing. If he cannot, then it is bad on him.

Z motion 10 out on 2
11-15-2002, 03:12 PM
Man that blows me away. Dang art? I will say that if this student can't pass art he sure won't be playing on Saturdays, because there is no way he will be able to pass college~

Gobbla2001
11-15-2002, 03:15 PM
I took art in high school, did very well, but a lot of good students didn't because it was taken more as a goof off class... School, esspecially HIGH SCHOOL, is a life lesson... If you goof off and don't do as you're supposed to, you will not be rewarded... Now, most teachers would most-likely just say 'okay, I'll let him pass', and those are the ones that I like and I'm sure you like, but the one who says 'I'm failing him' are the ones who really care for the kid's future... Football IS life in South Texas, if he loved football enough he would have passed 'ART'!

(I remember being moved up to the playoffs my sophmore year in '98 but failed English with a 69, we went on to state, just a little proof that I'm not just 'hating' on him because he's not from 'Cuero' or something, that teacher made me realize not to take life, football etc... for granted)

whtfbplaya
11-15-2002, 03:18 PM
The teacher was a college teacher and grades as if the students want to make art into a career, and not like he knows they have to take his class for a fine arts credit to graduate.

whtfbplaya
11-15-2002, 03:20 PM
I would not consider failing him caring for his future, because failing him might have cost him a chance to go to college.

BIG19
11-15-2002, 03:22 PM
Goobla2001, sounds like you 'learned' what you needed to. Good for you. Hope everyone else that plays sports in high school/college will learn this lesson early. Sure puts the tem at a disadvantage.

keep_it_real
11-15-2002, 04:50 PM
Man that really suck! I feel bad for this guy. Some teachers........... I don't know you wonder if they have souls!

Donkey41
11-15-2002, 05:12 PM
Art, let me see was that six weeks about clay and the tools of clay because that's what almost made me fail art in my Freshman year and I will never forget it.

bd0707
11-16-2002, 11:54 AM
Are we talking about #31, if so that must be a major blow to the Tigers. How did they handle it last nite against Gonzales, did Wharton step up their passing game?

whtfbplaya
11-16-2002, 04:45 PM
We had guys step up and make the plays. Both in the running game and passing game.