PDA

View Full Version : 2006 LHHS Panthers

LH Panther Mom
12-26-2006, 10:29 PM
To the Fighting Panthers of 2006 - parents and/or players, please pass this on.

Guys - what an incredible year you had. Week in and week out, you proved to yourselves, your teammates, coaches, families, fans and opponents that you meant business. The two losses early in the season made you stronger and more determined to accomplish the goal you set last year. The off-season, PAC and 7-7 committments each of you made paid off when it came to 2-a-days. The grueling heat seemed to not be a problem with the conditioning you guys went through beforehand. I'm certain that gassers were the last thing any of you wanted to run after the scrimmages, but I never saw any of you back down.

Graduation last year was pretty heavy and there were many across the state that doubted that the coaches could replace the talent that was lost. With several of the starters being young, even a few of our own wondered early on if you would step up and become a team equal to what we have had the last few years. Never in my mind did I doubt any of you and it's my opinion that you became 100% TEAM. You were always there to pick each other up, to encourage each other and to cheer each other on. Not one of you was more nor less important than any other and it showed on the field.

Coaches - I have known most of you for a number of years and have watched you turn the Liberty Hill football program into a household name in Texas High School football. Coach Vance, I remember my oldest coming home from school the day you met with the team after you arrived. The 2000 season prior had not been a good one for LH, nor had the seasons before. The awe and somewhat disbelief he had on his face when he told me your words was something I'll never forget. "We WILL make the playoffs, maybe not next season, but definitely in 2 years." You made believers out of that group of kids and it showed. And you made believers out of the 2006 team when you told them they would win state.

Seniors (Gray, Kody, Thomas, Brent, Shaun, Victor, Kyle, Blake, Luis, J. T., Gio, Brandon, Sammy, Kenny & Daniel) - What a special group of young men you are. Your senior leadership with the younger kids paid off greatly and helped them become ONE with you. Each of you has become very special to me this year & I will truly miss each and every one of you. Very few players in the state have the experience you did. Cherish the season for as long as you live because it is definitely one to remember. As it comes time for you to move on, please know that you all have a place in my heart.

To the rest of the Fighting Panthers - Take the knowledge you have gained from the seniors, your "brothers", and build on it. It truly is time to "HOLD THE ROPE" for you. This championship season for some of you was just the beginning of your varsity days. May you all have the same success, on the gridiron and in life, as you all have had this year. And to # 74 - :kiss: :inlove: :kiss: :inlove: :kiss:

2006 DII 3A State Champs - LHHS Fighting Panthers - A BAND OF BROTHERS

LHMom
12-27-2006, 12:22 AM
Great post, LHPM. I'll add a couple of comments, as well.

I think everyone knows this is the first year that I have not had a son on the team since Vance took over at LH. High school football and all that it entails has been such a huge part of our life, I couldn't quite imagine life without it. With that said, I entered this season thinking that I'd probably attend the home games, but probaby only travel to away games if I had nothing better to do...

But I went to the opener in Waco,.. and I went to Cuero for an INCREDIBLE game; I traveled to Wimberely for another GREAT game,... and well, let's just say I was hooked again. No, I didn't have either of my sons and all of their best friends out there, but from the Cuero game on, I saw a group of boys with their eyes set on the goal. The losses to Cuero and Wimberley only seemed to make them more focused.

I don't know as many of you as well as the teams of the past, but there are a couple that are very special to me personally - you know who you are. There are a few new to varsity this year, that likely don't even know who I am. Doug - fun to watch the new #44 this year! Marlowe - what a great defensive player you are! #74 - Wow - did you ever grow up tough! To the entire team - thanks so much for making my first "non-mom" season such a great one to remember!

And to the coaches - congrats on your success. I was just looking through a scrapbook of the '02 season. It is clear that this really did begin way back then. The hard work you demand, the high expectations you set for these boys. And it was incredible that in your moment of glory - I heard coaches over and over tell former Panthers that they had helped by building the tradition. What great models you are for our older, but still growing young men. You deserve this every bit as much as the players.

AND to the Panther fans - we are just getting better & better, aren't we?! Just like the Panther football team!