PDA

View Full Version : BEWARE of McAfee

STANG RED
12-26-2006, 01:51 PM
If you have McAfee installed on your computer, and dont plan on renewing it, you need to make sure and contact them, or they will just automaticly renew it, using the info they have on line, if you purchased it with a credit card on line. Here is the email I received from them on the 23rd. I cant believe they had the gaul to renew my subscription, without my expressed permission to do so. Also, when you do finally drill deep enough in their website to finally find a phone number to call customer service, it is not an 800 number, so you will have a long distance call.
I'm so mad at the s.o.b.s, I could bite nails into.
Here is the email I recieved from them.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Marlin,

Your McAfeeŽ subscription has been successfully renewed using the payment information on file.
You can now enjoy another year of protection whenever you use your computer and go online.

With McAfee protection, you will be able to continue to confidently surf the web, send e-mail, and
shop and bank online without worrying about viruses, spyware, spam, phishing scams, hackers
and identity theft.

Details of your subscription renewals:

--------------------------------------------------
CONFIRMATION RECEIPT
Name: Marlin ******
Order #: ************
Date: 12/23/2006 3:36:57 AM

McAfee VirusScan Plus : $ 39.99(USD)
Total Tax : $3.30
Total Price : $43.29

McAfee is always working hard to keep you and your computer protected. We know your loyalty
depends on our ability to continually provide you with the best and most innovative security
products on the market. We are the only major security company that is 100% dedicated to
security.

As always, we thank you for being a McAfee customer.

Sincerely,
McAfee Team

P.S. If for some reason you wish to cancel your subscription, McAfee can provide a full refund only if
cancellation is within 60 days of this renewal notice.

To contact McAfee Customer Support, visit www.mcafeehelp.com and select your country
or language.

This message is being sent from: McAfee, Inc, McAfee Ireland Holdings Ltd (Europe), McAfee Co., Ltd. (Japan).
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By the way, I now have Norton, bought it from Sam's, and they do not have any payment info on me. I never liked the way McAfee worked anyway, and it was a bitch to install initially.

luvhoops34
12-26-2006, 01:58 PM
I have McAfee, because Norton sucks. It screws up everything. Wait and see. But thanks for the heads up about McAfee.

ASUFrisbeeStud
12-26-2006, 02:29 PM
Ive worked customer service for a long time now with different clients, XM, Capital One, Reliant Energy and nearly all companies will do that to you. Pisses ppl off all the time.

Dogman_1969
12-26-2006, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by luvhoops34
I have McAfee, because Norton sucks. It screws up everything. Wait and see. But thanks for the heads up about McAfee.

Man you are not kidding. I bought a copy of Norton 2007 internet security and with in 3 hours it crashed my son's PC as well as my machine that my wife uses. I had to get both machines formatted and reloaded. Luckily I have some super geek friends that bailed me out once again.

Txbroadcaster
12-26-2006, 02:38 PM
The whole renewing with credit card is used by almost EVERY company online whether it be virus protection, or subscritpions to a website. They ALL say when you sign up that unless you stop it, they will renew it.

luvhoops34
12-26-2006, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Dogman_1969
Man you are not kidding. I bought a copy of Norton 2007 internet security and with in 3 hours it crashed my son's PC as well as my machine that my wife uses. I had to get both machines formatted and reloaded. Luckily I have some super geek friends that bailed me out once again.

Norton is evil! Not only did it mess my laptop up, not once but twice(because I went back for seconds) it screwed up my sisters desktop.

Alaska cat
12-26-2006, 08:12 PM
Mcafees is the best thing going....you dont have to leave an auto renew in there...you can change it at any time.

Norton on the other hand misses half the stuff and is a pain todeal with period.

DaHop72
12-26-2006, 10:19 PM
Trend Micro PC-cillin :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

pirate4state
12-26-2006, 11:09 PM
We use Norton at work and we've never had any problems.

Technoredneck
12-27-2006, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by luvhoops34
Norton is evil! Not only did it mess my laptop up, not once but twice(because I went back for seconds) it screwed up my sisters desktop.
Now that is some bad stuff, if it messed up your sisters by being on yours!

Boosty_Hondo
12-27-2006, 12:52 AM
i had norton for a loooooong time never had problems with it but i tried a new one called Windows Live OneCare and it works great its made by microsoft so of course it is going to be compatiable with windows and should not mes sit up and i ahve had no problems with it what so ever so if u need a good one go for Windows Live OneCare

JasperDog94
12-27-2006, 12:31 PM
I had the exact same thing happen with me and McAfee. I just used the online chat feature and it was taken care of in minutes. :)

jason
12-27-2006, 10:57 PM
mcafee and norton both suck, most IT professionals would agree to that...

the best free anti-virus/spyware available are from grisoft (www.grisoft.com) - their avg anti-virus is the best ive ever used....

SintonFan
12-27-2006, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by Alaska cat
Mcafees is the best thing going....you dont have to leave an auto renew in there...you can change it at any time.

Norton on the other hand misses half the stuff and is a pain todeal with period.
I'd always pick McAfees from the two big virus protection companies. Nortons is a huge system hog that can crash your computer if you have less RAM than 512 MB installed. There are a few new companies that have great programs to choose from if you so desire.:nerd: