PDA

View Full Version : Vernon's Whiteside Earns All Star Team MVP

Z motion 10 out on 2
12-25-2006, 10:25 PM
From the Wichita Falls Times Record News. The sports writers select an all star team of 22 of the best players in the Wichita Falls area considering all classifications.

Part of the story follows:

Whiteside earns MVP honor on Red River 22 team

By Andy Newberry/Times Record News
December 25, 2006

Aston Whiteside was good enough in four district games to be called the best player in District 6-3A.

Then Whiteside turned it up a notch with a highlight-filled five-game playoff run, taking Vernon to a Region I-3A championship and earning the Times Record News 2006 Red River 22 Most Valuable Player honor for the large school division.

Whiteside ended up with some flashy numbers, such as 1,934 rushing yards and 24 touchdowns, but his game was much more substance than flash. Whiteside was willing to block, serve as a decoy and play defense to help the Lions achieve their goals.

"Aston just wanted to help the team," Vernon coach Keith Hall said. "I tried to keep him out on kickoffs, that was his only time to rest, and he was always wanting to go in on those.

"He didn't care if he was getting the ball 30 times per game or being a decoy all the time, he just wanted to see the team do well."

"He's a kid you better pay attention to," said Red River 22 Coach of the Year Neil Searcy, whose Hirschi Huskies slowed Whiteside but were burnt by a couple of big plays from the fullback. "He's a beast, and a good kid, too. We did a good job against him and he still beat us."

The opposing defenses sure didn't want to see him get the ball too much. The impending collision usually left them on the ground while Whiteside bulled his way toward another defender. Even from a fullback spot close to the line without a lead blocker, Whiteside averaged better than 7 yards per carry. And many of those came on short-yardage plays designed to get just a few feet.

Whiteside gained 200 or more yards three times in the playoffs, including 214 and two touchdowns in the Region I-3A championship win over Midland Greenwood. When Celina held him to 108 the next week, he was still the first running back to make triple figures on the Bobcats.

Whiteside is joined by Vernon teammates Tyson Pope, a senior defensive lineman, and Darien Williams, a junior safety.

Graham, which won District 6-3A and two playoff games, placed three on the squad: receiver Chance McCoy, linebacker Trevor Sparks and offensive lineman Ben Butler. If the Red River 22 honored a freshman or newcomer it would have surely gone to freshman quarterback Case McCoy, who passed for 2,150 yards and 16 touchdowns a year after playing junior high games.

Burkburnett running back Nate Brown and Iowa Park offensive lineman Ryan McLaughlin round out the team.

Snydertigersrul
12-25-2006, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by Z motion 10 out on 2
From the Wichita Falls Times Record News. The sports writers select an all star team of 22 of the best players in the Wichita Falls area considering all classifications.

Part of the story follows:

Whiteside earns MVP honor on Red River 22 team

By Andy Newberry/Times Record News
December 25, 2006

Aston Whiteside was good enough in four district games to be called the best player in District 6-3A.

Then Whiteside turned it up a notch with a highlight-filled five-game playoff run, taking Vernon to a Region I-3A championship and earning the Times Record News 2006 Red River 22 Most Valuable Player honor for the large school division.

Whiteside ended up with some flashy numbers, such as 1,934 rushing yards and 24 touchdowns, but his game was much more substance than flash. Whiteside was willing to block, serve as a decoy and play defense to help the Lions achieve their goals.

"Aston just wanted to help the team," Vernon coach Keith Hall said. "I tried to keep him out on kickoffs, that was his only time to rest, and he was always wanting to go in on those.

"He didn't care if he was getting the ball 30 times per game or being a decoy all the time, he just wanted to see the team do well."

"He's a kid you better pay attention to," said Red River 22 Coach of the Year Neil Searcy, whose Hirschi Huskies slowed Whiteside but were burnt by a couple of big plays from the fullback. "He's a beast, and a good kid, too. We did a good job against him and he still beat us."

The opposing defenses sure didn't want to see him get the ball too much. The impending collision usually left them on the ground while Whiteside bulled his way toward another defender. Even from a fullback spot close to the line without a lead blocker, Whiteside averaged better than 7 yards per carry. And many of those came on short-yardage plays designed to get just a few feet.

Whiteside gained 200 or more yards three times in the playoffs, including 214 and two touchdowns in the Region I-3A championship win over Midland Greenwood. When Celina held him to 108 the next week, he was still the first running back to make triple figures on the Bobcats.

Whiteside is joined by Vernon teammates Tyson Pope, a senior defensive lineman, and Darien Williams, a junior safety.

Graham, which won District 6-3A and two playoff games, placed three on the squad: receiver Chance McCoy, linebacker Trevor Sparks and offensive lineman Ben Butler. If the Red River 22 honored a freshman or newcomer it would have surely gone to freshman quarterback Case McCoy, who passed for 2,150 yards and 16 touchdowns a year after playing junior high games.

Burkburnett running back Nate Brown and Iowa Park offensive lineman Ryan McLaughlin round out the team.

Who cares?

GreenMonster
12-25-2006, 10:56 PM
STR, quit being an ass.

Z motion 10 out on 2
12-26-2006, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by Snydertigersrul
Who cares?

I do. I'm proud of him and all of the young men that were selected for this honor.

Congrats to them all.

RMAC
12-26-2006, 02:17 AM
Originally posted by Snydertigersrul
Who cares?

Obviously enough people care to get together and make an All-Red River team. Here's a thought. Come back here in August when it's time for football again and talk crap then. :rolleyes: Ass.

mchavez
12-26-2006, 02:48 PM
Z, what did the district 6-3A look like?

Z motion 10 out on 2
12-26-2006, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by mchavez
Z, what did the district 6-3A look like?

Whiteside was the MVP and Vernon had numerous players on the 1st & 2nd teams.

See www.timesrecordnews.com on December 18th story in the local sports for the entire team.

Alaska cat
12-26-2006, 07:49 PM
I'm glad he got the honor he surely deserved it.

His coach is right..he was a beast to deal with.