PDA

View Full Version : Celina - Defeated, but not losers

lhpantherdad
12-25-2006, 01:54 AM
Celina played LH the toughest game this year since Cuero and Wimberley. It was exactly as a state championship game should be. It was tied 19-19 all thru the 4th quarter and I was thinking that it would go into overtime. It was truly a defensive game that last quarter. Then LH got the ball back in the last minute and kicked a field goal with 6 seconds left on the clock. LH kicked to Celina with 1 second left on the clock and their receiver almost broke free before being tackled.

One thing that really impressed me, was how Celina handled the loss. They did not immediately go off in the corner and have their talk from the coach. Instead, they joined hands and formed a half-circle around the Panthers who were celebrating the win. One of our coaches motioned for our team to join hands with Celina and complete the circle...THAT is one of the classiest things I have ever seen!

My hat's off to the players and coaches of Celina. Your team played hard, played us 4 quarters of smash-mouth football and above all, lost with dignity. The Celina Bobcats are not losers...but worthy opponents who played one heck of a game!

bobcat1
12-25-2006, 06:21 AM
Thanks Dad, With your permission I will share your post with the coaches and players. "The goal of our staff is to turn out quality young men" according to Coach Ford. He says, "The Championships that accompany are just gravy." Those are the words he told me when we moved here. That is part of the reason we chose Celina. Give Mom a hug and shake the monster's hand in congratulation for me. Merry Christmas!

rundoe
12-25-2006, 08:27 AM
I would also like to add my two cents on how much class the Celina Bobcats showed both during and after the game. Hats off to the players and the coaches.

Watched "Its a Wonderful Life" last night with Jimmy Stewart and it just reminded me of how lucky we all are to have our kids and our families and friends!!!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to ALL the 3A Downlow Folks. We may not always agree on everything, but we are Blessed.
Rundoe

bandera7
12-25-2006, 12:59 PM
Just proves how great of a football program really is. Their coaches really taught them the right way to win AND lose. Congratulations on a great season, Celina football really is a special thing.

shamu85
12-25-2006, 01:48 PM
You know there was a lot of that after the Westlake-Carroll game, too. Those kids got after it in that game, too.

I commented to my brother several times during the game about there not being any penalties. I think the game ended with 4 penalties, and one was declined. I have watched the LH kids for 3 years now, and they are always classy (Giddings game was a test for them though, with all that trash talking, but Coach Vance took care of that right away). It was nice to see such a great attitude from their opponent this time, too.

Pudlugger
12-25-2006, 04:31 PM
What a great game and classy couple of teams. It is encouraging to know what fine young men LH and Celina have in these two quality programs. Those boys learned something wonderful about life and themselves, win or lose, and that makes it all worthwhile. Merry Christmas to the Panthers and Bobcats.:) :) :)

VERNONLION#1
12-26-2006, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by lhpantherdad
Celina played LH the toughest game this year since Cuero and Wimberley. It was exactly as a state championship game should be. It was tied 19-19 all thru the 4th quarter and I was thinking that it would go into overtime. It was truly a defensive game that last quarter. Then LH got the ball back in the last minute and kicked a field goal with 6 seconds left on the clock. LH kicked to Celina with 1 second left on the clock and their receiver almost broke free before being tackled.

One thing that really impressed me, was how Celina handled the loss. They did not immediately go off in the corner and have their talk from the coach. Instead, they joined hands and formed a half-circle around the Panthers who were celebrating the win. One of our coaches motioned for our team to join hands with Celina and complete the circle...THAT is one of the classiest things I have ever seen!

My hat's off to the players and coaches of Celina. Your team played hard, played us 4 quarters of smash-mouth football and above all, lost with dignity. The Celina Bobcats are not losers...but worthy opponents who played one heck of a game!

They joined our players in a circle after the game when we played them also. They are a class act in my book along with my LIONS. Hope we can meet up again next season. Come on August.

tigerpride_08
12-26-2006, 07:18 PM
congrats on a great season Celina...:clap:

LHMom
12-26-2006, 11:45 PM
I would definitely put Celina fans right up there with Cuero, who I totally respect & admire. It was great to watch such an amazing game!!