PDA

View Full Version : 5A All-State Team voting...

JR2004
12-24-2006, 04:09 AM
Is it really about to be 2007? I'm having a hard time figuring it out after reading this crap about how Cedar Hill's William Cole got screwed out of making the all-state team.

From high school writer Keith Whitmire on the DMN blog...

<<Why William Cole didn't make All-State

I did some digging yesterday to find out why William Cole didn't make AP All-State, not even honorable mention. I won't bore you with the details, but suffice it to say there were breakdowns in the nominating and voting processes.

No Cedar Hill players were on the AP All-State ballot. Due to unforseen circumstances, a far West Texas newspaper was the sole outlet in charge of coordinating the nominations for Region I. Cedar Hill is a Dallas-area team, but it's in Region I which is predominantly west of Dallas. So there was no media outlet touting Cedar Hill's players in Region I. (The DMN handled Region II) It shouldn't be up to coach Joey McGuire - his players had done enough on their own to warrant nominations.

Still, someone should have noticed it. That was the breakdown in the voting process. It's a big ballot, and voters are asked to vote during the early rounds of the playoffs - the most hectic time of the year. That's no excuse, but it doesn't make it easy for voters.

I'm sure the AP will take a hard look at both processes and make some changes. One change I would strongly recommend is to not divide the nominations by the UIL's regions, which often make no geographic sense. Newspapers should nominate players from the teams they cover, period. And then, if they aren't already doing this, run the ballot by as many eyes as possible before making it official.

The saving grace is that William Cole doesn't need the AP or anyone else to confirm he's one of the state's best players. He's having a season people will remember much, much longer than who made the All-State team.>>

Apparently this "far West Texas Newspaper" (I'd like to know which paper is in charge of this) still found a way to get Riley Dodge on there and he's in Region I just like Cedar Hill's players who got snubbed. I'm sure Cole and his teammates are far happier to win a state title, but for goodness sakes how darn hard is it to look at what teams are in your region and get those players nominated? Cole (Watched him last week at Texas Stadium against Garland) should've been the 5A MVP in my opinion if they had actually had his name in the voting.

Adidas410s
12-24-2006, 10:46 AM
did you see Coach McGuire's comments after the game??? He said something to the effect of, "We don't need voters and newspapers to tell us that William Cole is the best player in the state of Texas..."

carter08
12-24-2006, 11:01 AM
William Cole was outstanding yesterday

District303aPastPlayer
12-24-2006, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
did you see Coach McGuire's comments after the game??? He said something to the effect of, "We don't need voters and newspapers to tell us that William Cole is the best player in the state of Texas..."

"William Cole is the best player in the state of Texas... yes, i said it, William Cole is the best High School Football player in the state of Texas.... PERIOD"

that was what he said... :)