PDA

View Full Version : Colt is cleared to play

Snyder_TigerFan
12-22-2006, 11:43 AM
12/21/2006

Colt McCoy cleared to play in Alamo Bowl

AUSTIN, Texas -- Longhorn freshman quarterback Colt McCoy, who sustained a severe pinched nerve in his neck in the season finale versus Texas A&M, has been cleared to play in the Alamo Bowl, UT's Athletic Trainer for football Kenny Boyd said on Thursday.

"We have been evaluating Colt on a regular basis for the past several weeks, and he's made great progress," Boyd said. "He went through a thorough and complete evaluation that involved everyone on our staff and a series of tests to insure his recovery was complete. Colt passed all of the functional and diagnostic tests to return to the field, and his performance and recovery in practices confirmed that he is back at full strength. We're all comfortable that he's physically ready to play."

Tabbed the Longhorns' co-Most Valuable Player as a redshirt freshman, McCoy also was named a semifinalist for the 2006 Davey O'Brien Award (nation's top QB), was voted the National Freshman of the Year by The Sporting News and was tabbed the consensus Big 12 Offensive Freshman of the Year.

"I feel like everything is back to normal and I am 100 percent," McCoy said. "I worked closely with our trainers and doctors to get healthy. It took a lot of patience because they didn't want to rush anything and wanted to be sure to let the injury heal. I worked really hard doing everything they asked and made steady progress every day. It all paid off because I could feel the strength in my arm coming back. Now, I'm excited and ready to go."

In his first year as a starter, McCoy completed 191-of-278 passes (68.7%) for 2,262 yards (No. 3 on UT's freshman list) and 27 TDs (second-most on NCAA single-season freshman list/No. 1 on UT's single-season list/No. 6 on the UT career list), while throwing just seven interceptions. McCoy tallied 2,429 yards of total offense (No. 1 on UT's freshman single-season list).

"Colt has looked better and better everyday in practice," Mack Brown said. "We've all seen what he can do when he's healthy, and we're really excited to have him back at 100 percent. I'm looking forward to seeing him back in action next week as we prepare in San Antonio, and in the Alamo Bowl against Iowa."

awizzy
12-22-2006, 11:49 AM
i hope he really 100% its not worth risking in this bolw game