tigerpride_08
12-20-2006, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by awizzy
FYI durant goes off for 30 and 12 reb.

hook em

that would be nice to see...

LitanyofFury
12-20-2006, 07:32 PM
I know the Horns are starting 4 Freshmen and a Sophomore. . .but shouldn't they be in the Top 25?

I mean, the close loss to Michigan St. was disappointing, but Gonzaga is awesome and they beat Big Baby and the LSU Tigers. Definitely will be a team that could make some noise in the tourney.

awizzy
12-20-2006, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by LitanyofFury
I know the Horns are starting 4 Freshmen and a Sophomore. . .but shouldn't they be in the Top 25?

I mean, the close loss to Michigan St. was disappointing, but Gonzaga is awesome and they beat Big Baby and the LSU Tigers. Definitely will be a team that could make some noise in the tourney.
a win tonite and over tenn. should get them in. but i think they are def. one of the 25 best teams in the ncaa

kepdawg
12-20-2006, 09:54 PM
FYI durant goes off for 30 and 12 reb.

hook em

13 and 6 at halftime

tigerpride_08
12-20-2006, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
13 and 6 at halftime

on pace for a good finish...

LitanyofFury
12-20-2006, 10:38 PM
Really close. Great game.

awizzy
12-20-2006, 11:20 PM
okay ill eat the crow on this one durant only had 28 and 12

Pmoney
12-20-2006, 11:21 PM
Texas 80
Ark. 76
FINAL

Pmoney
12-20-2006, 11:21 PM
okay ill eat the crow on this one durant only had 28 and 12
only a field goal away....

g$$
12-20-2006, 11:33 PM
Texas has plenty of athletes but their lack of an inside presence is going to hurt them down the road. Yes, they beat LSU, but I mean over the long haul. Outside shots don't always fall & you need a presence in the paint.

Big 12 should be fun.

KTJ
12-20-2006, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Texas has plenty of athletes but their lack of an inside presence is going to hurt them down the road. Yes, they beat LSU, but I mean over the long haul. Outside shots don't always fall & you need a presence in the paint.

Big 12 should be fun.

We will probably hurt down the stretch, but a lack of a "true" big man won't be the reason.

LitanyofFury
12-20-2006, 11:44 PM
Shrug. Free throws hurt down the stretch.

I mean, the Horns are starting 4 Freshman and a Sophomore and they're already this good. Future looks rather nice.

g$$
12-20-2006, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by KTJ
We will probably hurt down the stretch, but a lack of a "true" big man won't be the reason.

What do you mean? Too much youth?

I did not say you have to have Greg Oden at Center, just more big guys who can bang & score in the paint/grab boards. Texas is a perimeter team. Over the long haul, it is hard to win like that. Ask Tom Penders!

KL3
12-20-2006, 11:49 PM
Any longhorn fan who says their lack of a true big man won't hurt them is flat out wrong. Arkansas, a team that just got beat at home by Texas Tech by 16, who doesn't really have a standout big man, almost beat you guys at home. As even the ESPN guys were saying, they were taking it to you on the boards and that is what kept the game close.

g$$
12-20-2006, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by KL3
Any longhorn fan who says their lack of a true big man won't hurt them is flat out wrong. Arkansas, a team that just got beat at home by Texas Tech by 16, who doesn't really have a standout big man, almost beat you guys at home. As even the ESPN guys were saying, they were taking it to you on the boards and that is what kept the game close.

Agreed, that was my point too. You better have Plan B for those nights when the outside shots are not falling. And rebounding has been a problem in every game I have seen for Texas.

I thought Pittman might be of some help, but he is too raw & fat. Maybe by next year.

LitanyofFury
12-20-2006, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by KL3

Hey man, it'll be ok. We want the Horns to do well but they're a REALLY young team. I think it's just exciting to see them play. Obviously they aren't championship material yet, but they've been playing well and it's fun to watch!

The really cool thing is that some other teams in the Big 12 are playing awesome as well and it's going to make for some great games.

g$$
12-21-2006, 12:02 AM
Hey man, it'll be ok. We want the Horns to do well but they're a REALLY young team. I think it's just exciting to see them play. Obviously they aren't championship material yet, but they've been playing well and it's fun to watch!

The really cool thing is that some other teams in the Big 12 are playing awesome as well and it's going to make for some great games.

Agreed, Texas is fun to watch & gets up & down. I just question their depth & lack of big bodies in the paint.

KL3
12-21-2006, 12:02 AM
Everyone uses the "young" excuse and for good reason right now. Sure they will improve, but that doesn't guarantee anything come tourny time. Kansas was in the same boat last year. Everyone knew how awesome the young talent was and on some nights talent alone will get you the W.

In the tournament, you have to bring it every game, and thats when the experience factor comes into play. Kansas didn't play well in its game vs. Bradley and got knocked out in the 1st round.

Txbroadcaster
12-21-2006, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by g$$
Agreed, that was my point too. You better have Plan B for those nights when the outside shots are not falling. And rebounding has been a problem in every game I have seen for Texas.

I thought Pittman might be of some help, but he is too raw & fat. Maybe by next year.

I think they kind of play to the talent and strenghts of the other team right now..agianst LSU they out rebounded them by one 43-42..they were out rebounded by the Hogs 39-32..the problem with Texas tonight was giving up to many rebounds to the Hogs guards, and that is just discipline of staying in the lane and not jumping out on the fast break to quick

LitanyofFury
12-21-2006, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by KL3
Everyone uses the "young" excuse and for good reason right now. Sure they will improve, but that doesn't guarantee anything come tourny time. Kansas was in the same boat last year. Everyone knew how awesome the young talent was and on some nights talent alone will get you the W.

In the tournament, you have to bring it every game, and thats when the experience factor comes into play. Kansas didn't play well in its game vs. Bradley and got knocked out in the 1st round.

Agreed. However, as fans there's nothing we can do about the lineup, right? Just gotta enjoy watching them and hope they do well.

I tend to agree with you tho. I don't think they'll go deep in the tourny. However, I think they have a good shot in future years if the guys all hang around. We've got some good big men coming up that just need time to develop.

g$$
12-21-2006, 12:10 AM
Agreed. However, as fans there's nothing we can do about the lineup, right? Just gotta enjoy watching them and hope they do well.

I tend to agree with you tho. I don't think they'll go deep in the tourny. However, I think they have a good shot in future years if the guys all hang around. We've got some good big men coming up that just need time to develop.

Yes, you do have young talent, but say good-bye to Durant. He is long gone after 1 year to the NBA.

KTJ
12-21-2006, 12:12 AM
I never said I didn't agree with the lack of a big man. I did say that I don't think it's the #1 factor.

Other factors--

a.) starting 4 frosh
b.) staying in the zone defense when we clearly need to get out of it.
c.) no experience.

With Abrams, our outside game isn't that bad. Combine that with the ability to drive to the paint by DJ, and we've got a pretty good offensive set. Is a big man needed? Of course. Is it the end all-be all? Not really.

LitanyofFury
12-21-2006, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by g$$
Yes, you do have young talent, but say good-bye to Durant. He is long gone after 1 year to the NBA.

And out comes Debbie Downer.

g$$
12-21-2006, 02:43 AM
And out comes Debbie Downer.

Hey man, saying Durant is leaving is not exactly rocket science! The new rule is the only reason he is in college for 1 year anyway. Oden will leave Ohio State too. I hate it b/c I wish they would stay in school & get better & then the NBA would get better too (less young guys not ready to play). But oh well, enjoy him while you can.

Texas has other good young kids & more on the way. They will be fine.

awizzy
12-21-2006, 03:04 AM
Originally posted by g$$
Hey man, saying Durant is leaving is not exactly rocket science! The new rule is the only reason he is in college for 1 year anyway. Oden will leave Ohio State too. I hate it b/c I wish they would stay in school & get better & then the NBA would get better too (less young guys not ready to play). But oh well, enjoy him while you can.

Texas has other good young kids & more on the way. They will be fine.
it would not shock me is oden stayed a another year...but i dout it thats alot of money to pass up lets just enjoy them while we can

stxfootballfan
12-21-2006, 09:02 AM
I think that new rule about one year of college before going to the draft is stupid. I mean really whats the point? I could understand a min of 2 yrs but 3 would be better just like the NFL.

Phil C
12-21-2006, 10:20 AM
What do you mean a great future? Most of those players will be going to the NBA next year making big money!

Phil C
12-21-2006, 10:37 AM
Way to go Horns! :)

BreckTxLonghorn
12-21-2006, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by stxfootballfan
I think that new rule about one year of college before going to the draft is stupid. I mean really whats the point? I could understand a min of 2 yrs but 3 would be better just like the NFL.

Personally, I like the 1 year rule. Players like Garnett and Lebron have shown us that college may not be a necessary to become a professional in basketball. However, this rule helps out good players who need to be polished, but come out due to the temptation of $$$--only to be sent to the D-league, cut from the roster, or not even drafted. If they don't get drafted, they're stuck: colleges can't take them. Hopefully the 1 year rule will polish many of these types or players in that buffer year, or maybe even help them realize they need 2 or 3 to really be able to play with the pros. All the while, they get an education. It's a win-win situation in my opinion. Stern hit the mark on this one.