PDA

View Full Version : John Brantley A Gator

Old Tiger
12-20-2006, 05:48 PM
http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=110&p=8&c=1&nid=1936639

:(

Maybe Chiles chances at QB are better now.

g$$
12-20-2006, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=110&p=8&c=1&nid=1936639

:(

Maybe Chiles chances at QB are better now.

Guess West TX Longhorn will have a Litany of Tears now!

West TX Longhorn = aka Litany of Fury

Still say Chiles is a WR down the road, but he may given a look at first.

Old Tiger
12-20-2006, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by g$$

West TX Lonhorn = aka Litany of Fury

Still say Chiles is a WR down the road, but he may given a look at first. He will ;). Too bad no one knows the full story on how serious that nerve injury is on Colt. That sucker could have lingering affects throughout his life and could lose some mobility depending on the nerve and how serious it is.

From what I have heard Chiles is a better passer than Sherrod was coming out of HS.

No need to be mean old chum lets have an intelligent thread today ;)

Adidas410s
12-20-2006, 05:52 PM
glad to see that "an ethical family" will stick to their word! :(

LitanyofFury
12-20-2006, 05:53 PM
Shrug. Wish him well I suppose.

Just kinda annoying considering how his recruitment went. He came calling to the Horns, not the other way around. He commits and you see him on video shaking Mack's hand and saying that he won't let Mack down. Eight months and he's saying he's solid like a rock. Then, 1 month before signing day he has his Uncle announce the news on a radio station?

The really annoying thing about it is that because Brantley committed to the Horns, Mack and Co. backed off on recruiting Mallett who actually wanted to come to Austin. Since we had Brantley as a supposedly sure lock we told Mallett good luck and so he ends up choosing Michigan. Now we have neither Brantley OR Mallett. Classic!

Silver lining? We still have Colt. We still have Sherrod. And we still have Chiles coming in and that kid's a freak dual-threat QB. So, we have some depth at the QB spot. Still, this was a pretty big blow to the Horns recruiting class. :(

LitanyofFury
12-20-2006, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by g$$

West TX Longhorn = aka Litany of Fury

Still say Chiles is a WR down the road, but he may given a look at first.

Man, seriously. . .how big of a jerk are you? You're the epitome of a class act, lemme tell ya.

WildTexan
12-20-2006, 05:57 PM
Sherrod was never good enough to be a QB at a school as good as UT (and I hate UT but let's be honest, they are better than a jr college)

Sherrod can be a slot receiver or a RB or a trot in for a running play QB, but he ain't much of the total package....he was not even all that accomplished in HS by UT recruit standards....

Who will have the best crew of QBs in the Big12 next year? I think it will be Tech....

g$$
12-20-2006, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by LitanyofFury
Shrug. Wish him well I suppose.

Just kinda annoying considering how his recruitment went. He came calling to the Horns, not the other way around. He commits and you see him on video shaking Mack's hand and saying that he won't let Mack down. Eight months and he's saying he's solid like a rock. Then, 1 month before signing day he has his Uncle announce the news on a radio station?

The really annoying thing about it is that because Brantley committed to the Horns, Mack and Co. backed off on recruiting Mallett who actually wanted to come to Austin. Since we had Brantley as a supposedly sure lock we told Mallett good luck and so he ends up choosing Michigan. Now we have neither Brantley OR Mallett. Classic!

Silver lining? We still have Colt. We still have Sherrod. And we still have Chiles coming in and that kid's a freak dual-threat QB. So, we have some depth at the QB spot. Still, this was a pretty big blow to the Horns recruiting class. :(

Ryan Mallett is immobile as heck, can throw it a mile.
Sherrod Harris is not the answer.
John Chiles is a great athlete better suited to another position.

Jarrett Lee from Brenham would have been the choice IMO (now committed to LSU).

Texas has serious depth problems at QB.

Old Tiger
12-20-2006, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by WildTexan
Who will have the best crew of QBs in the Big12 next year? I think it will be Tech.... Tech QB's are all products of the system.

For best crew of QB's I would go with Nebraska. Their QB for next year sat out a year after transferring from Arizona State I cannot think of his name right now but he is GOOD.

Old Tiger
12-20-2006, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by g$$

Isn't that what everyone said about Vince? :D:D:D:D

g$$
12-20-2006, 06:03 PM
Man, seriously. . .how big of a jerk are you? You're the epitome of a class act, lemme tell ya.

Don't even go there West TX Longhorn.

You, like TO, bring it all on yourself. Yada, yada, yada.

Class? Yeah, people who make racist statements cannot go there fella.

Are ROMmed people now allowed to return Mods???

LitanyofFury
Originally posted by g$$
Ryan Mallett is immobile as heck, can throw it a mile.
Sherrod Harris is not the answer.

Jarrett Lee from Brenham would have been the choice IMO (now committed to LSU).

Texas has serious depth problems at QB.

Some of you braniacs said the same thing about Vince Young. . .that he was better suited to another position. Genius!:rolleyes:

Also, let's not forget how other QBs who flip-flopped after committing to Texas have worked out. Perriloser, Xavier Lee, Bomar, etc. and so forth.

Emerson1
Tech QB's are all products of the system.

For best crew of QB's I would go with Nebraska. Their QB for next year sat out a year after transferring from Arizona State I cannot think of his name right now but he is GOOD.
Sam Keller

Old Tiger
12-20-2006, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by g$$
As do you...

Emerson1
12-20-2006, 06:06 PM
I really don't see why he would want to change. He is gonna redshirt at both schools, and he has a better Chance of beating out Colt then he does Tebow. With Jevan leaving to you would of thought it was more incentive for him to stay.

LitanyofFury
12-20-2006, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Don't even go there West TX Longhorn.

Class? Yeah, people who make racist statements cannot go there fella.

Are ROMmed people now allowed to return Mods???

Seriously, I think you have a serious problem with this West guy. Seems like he got under your skin pretty good if you're running around like a chicken w/ its head cut off accusing people of being him.

You're making this stuff WAY too personal man. Don't base your life around a message board and trying to show people up. It's rather lame.

Old Tiger
What is funny is that he got his uncle to announce it on a radio station in Florida instead of announcing it himself:rolleyes:

g$$
Isn't that what everyone said about Vince? :D:D:D:D

Not so much. Sure some may have said that about VY, but he was regarded very highly out of HS. More people I know say Chiles is not a QB. I have seen him play too & I think he will be a great WR too.

Old Tiger
12-20-2006, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Not so much. Sure some may have said that about VY, but he was regarded very highly out of HS. More people I know say Chiles is not a QB. I have seen him play too & I think he will be a great WR too. Chiles HS team sucked and if it wasn't for him they would not of even made the playoffs.

LitanyofFury
12-20-2006, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
I really don't see why he would want to change. He is gonna redshirt at both schools, and he has a better Chance of beating out Colt then he does Tebow. With Jevan leaving to you would of thought it was more incentive for him to stay.

I think that Uncle of his is a Florida legend or something.

Just ridiculous that you're going to commit to a team for 8 months, shake their hands and say you're not going to let them down only to back out at the last minute. Make up your mind and down be blowing smoke up people's butts. He cost us another 5 star QB with his flip-flopping. So, now we only have 1 instead of 2. . .

g$$
12-20-2006, 06:09 PM
Seriously, I think you have a serious problem with this West guy. Seems like he got under your skin pretty good if you're running around like a chicken w/ its head cut off accusing people of being him.

You're making this stuff WAY too personal man. Don't base your life around a message board and trying to show people up. It's rather lame.

You are not fooling anybody. The only person I dislike on here is you. If you ever want to say hi, let me know WTL. YOU made it personal when you played the race card.

KL3
12-20-2006, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1

I think maybe being closer to home just might have had a little something to do with it.

LitanyofFury
12-20-2006, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by g$$
You are not fooling anybody. The only person I dislike on here is you. If you ever want to say hi, let me know WTL. YOU made it personal when you played the race card.

Seriously, you're insane. Since obviously you've flipped your lid. . .just don't respond to any of my posts. I won't respond to yours. I mean, it's sad that you can harrass a new member like this and that I have to work around your nonsense. Still, since you obviously aren't going to quit on the BS even tho you've said that you "don't want me to talk to you" or whatever childish thing that was. . .how about you just not reply to any of my posts or comment on them? I'll do the same for yours. Should fix things until you pull your head outta yer rear, right?

Old Tiger
12-20-2006, 06:17 PM
How about you two teen age girls go have yalls pissing match somewhere else like maybe in a private message or maybe on a thread that one of you created but quit stealing my damn threads you bafoons!!

LitanyofFury
12-20-2006, 06:19 PM
How about you two teen age girls go have yalls pissing match somewhere else like maybe in a private message or maybe on a thread that one of you created but quit stealing my damn threads you bafoons!!

Yes, because in a thread about a Longhorn recruit I personally attacked another member.:rolleyes:

Old Tiger
12-20-2006, 06:20 PM
It doesn't matter don't argue on my threads it's pointless someone will just end up getting upset and there will be no winner.

buff4life
12-20-2006, 06:22 PM
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Mr. John Brantley on choosing to be a two year back-up at the Univeristy of FLorida when you could have been a started after beating Colt McCoy out of a spot at THE University of Texas...Happy Trails to ya!!

g$$
12-20-2006, 06:25 PM
Yes, because in a thread about a Longhorn recruit I personally attacked another member.:rolleyes:

Still not fooling anybody! Wait & see...

LitanyofFury
"I want to end with a very special thanks to coach Brown, coach (Greg) Davis and coach (Gene) Chizik. I won't let you down. Hook'em."
-John Brantley

Reminds me of this movie. What was it called again? I think Jerry McGuire. . .something about Team Cushman and our word being as strong as oak.;)

Old Tiger
Originally posted by g$$
Still not fooling anybody! Wait & see... End it now....take a 12 gauge to the pinky toe.

big daddy russ
12-20-2006, 06:26 PM
I think that Uncle of his is a Florida legend or something.

Just ridiculous that you're going to commit to a team for 8 months, shake their hands and say you're not going to let them down only to back out at the last minute. Make up your mind and down be blowing smoke up people's butts. He cost us another 5 star QB with his flip-flopping. So, now we only have 1 instead of 2. . .
Welcome to college football. This kind of stuff happens ALL THE TIME. Not all the time as in a couple of times a year, all the time as in a couple of times to every team every year.

UT's stolen some recruits away from other schools just as other schools have done the same to UT. It's a two-way street and if the kid realizes that another school would be a better fit before he actually signs the LOI, I'm happy for him. A verbal committment is non-binding. A verbal is a 17- or 18-year-old kid saying that's where he'd like to go to school, but he's not obligated to do anything until national signing day.

g$$
12-20-2006, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by buff4life
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Mr. John Brantley on choosing to be a two year back-up at the Univeristy of FLorida when you could have been a started after beating Colt McCoy out of a spot at THE University of Texas...Happy Trails to ya!!

Who is to say he won't beat out Tebow in time? Brantley has the credentials & pedigree for sure. Why not? You say he could beat out Colt, but no chance on Tebow? I disagree.

Old Tiger
I remember when Lorenzo Booker came out of HS to go to college he played ND hard then chose Florida State.

Old Tiger
NM - Double Post

Old Tiger
12-20-2006, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Who is to say he won't beat out Tebow in time? Brantley has the credentials & pedigree for sure. Why not? You say he could beat out Colt, but no chance on Tebow? I disagree. Tebow is the perfect fit for Urban Meyers offense some experts say he is a better fit for that offense than Alex Smith was. Tebow is the real deal and should have started over Leak this year but Leak is a senior and Meyer respected that. Long story short Brantley WILL NOT beat out Tebow

LitanyofFury
12-20-2006, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Welcome to college football. This kind of stuff happens ALL THE TIME. Not all the time as in a couple of times a year, all the time as in a couple of times to every team every year.

UT's stolen some recruits away from other schools just as other schools have done the same to UT. It's a two-way street and if the kid realizes that another school would be a better fit before he actually signs the LOI, I'm happy for him. A verbal committment is non-binding. A verbal is a 17- or 18-year-old kid saying that's where he'd like to go to school, but he's not obligated to do anything until national signing day.

Too true. I think it just stings because he came calling to the Horns and because we ended up losing Mallett because of it. Kinda like Perriloser. So what if we lose that kid? He turned out to be a chump. However, he waited until late in the game to switch and it screwed us on finding some other guys.

Still, I suppose you can't knock the kid too much. He's not even 18 yet and it's a decision that's going to affect the rest of his life. Good luck to him.

BreckTxLonghorn
12-20-2006, 06:32 PM
Well, this doesn't mean Texas can't steal back some of its old recruits that already 'committed' to other colleges. If Brantley did it, why can't they?

Just a thought...

g$$
12-20-2006, 06:33 PM
Tebow is the perfect fit for Urban Meyers offense some experts say he is a better fit for that offense than Alex Smith was. Tebow is the real deal and should have started over Leak this year but Leak is a senior and Meyer respected that. Long story short Brantley WILL NOT beat out Tebow

Tebow is a good fit I agree, but to dismiss Brantley before he steps on campus is a joke. Sounds like sour grapes among Horn fans to me. If you thought he was all that, then why now does he have no chance?

Old Tiger
12-20-2006, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Tebow is a good fit I agree, but to dismiss Brantley before he steps on campus is a joke. Sounds like sour grapes among Horn fans to me. If you thought he was all that, then why now does he have no chance? Because Tim Tebow is God. Just kidding. Have you seen Tim Tebow's highlights compared to Brantley? Way better and as for dismissing him Tebow is the perfect fit and a dual threat QB for that offense so why wouldn't you dismiss him.

g$$
12-20-2006, 06:35 PM
Too true. I think it just stings because he came calling to the Horns and because we ended up losing Mallett because of it. Kinda like Perriloser. So what if we lose that kid? He turned out to be a chump. However, he waited until late in the game to switch and it screwed us on finding some other guys.

Still, I suppose you can't knock the kid too much. He's not even 18 yet and it's a decision that's going to affect the rest of his life. Good luck to him.

It has pointed to Florida for a while now.

- family ties
- close to home
- girlfriend gonna go there next year, etc.

I am not surprised to be honest.

Old Tiger
12-20-2006, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by g$$
It has pointed to Florida for a while now.

- family ties
- close to home
- girlfriend gonna go there next year, etc.

I am not surprised to be honest. Colt McCoy's girlfriend goes to Tech :p

g$$
12-20-2006, 06:36 PM
Anybody think Mack makes a run at Jarrett Lee (Brenham) now to decommit from LSU?...

Old Tiger
12-20-2006, 06:37 PM
Jeramy Kerley....bet dat :D

g$$
12-20-2006, 06:37 PM
Colt McCoy's girlfriend goes to Tech :p

I know that, but it did not affect Colt's decision. Evidently it did Brantley to some degree, along with some other ties to Florida.

Old Tiger
12-20-2006, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by g$$
I know that, but it did not affect Colt's decision. Evidently it did Brantley to some degree, along with some other ties to Florida. I don't think his girlfriend affected it. His uncle and father most likely. He could come to Texas and be QB here and boink any chick he wants. It's all about boinking random college chicks if your a stud starting QB on THE University of Texas Longhorns.

g$$
12-20-2006, 06:39 PM
Because Tim Tebow is God. Just kidding. Have you seen Tim Tebow's highlights compared to Brantley? Way better and as for dismissing him Tebow is the perfect fit and a dual threat QB for that offense so why wouldn't you dismiss him.

Yes, I have seen both. I watched a complete game for Tebow too. I am just saying don't count Brantley out before he steps on campus. Kid is very talented.

Tiger: get my PM?

Old Tiger
12-20-2006, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Yes, I have seen both. I watched a complete game for Tebow too. I am just saying don't count Brantley out before he steps on campus. Kid is very talented.

Tiger: get my PM? Tebow is more talented

g$$
12-20-2006, 06:42 PM
I don't think his girlfriend affected it. His uncle and father most likely. He could come to Texas and be QB here and boink any chick he wants. It's all about boinking random college chicks if your a stud starting QB on THE University of Texas Longhorns.

So you are saying Colt is cheating on his girl at Tech? My nephew knows him at UT & says he does not even go out much!!

I think all of it together contributed to Brantley's decision.

Old Tiger
12-20-2006, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by g$$
So you are saying Colt is cheating on his girl at Tech? My nephew knows him at UT & says he does not even go out much!!

I think all of it together contributed to Brantley's decision. Well probably not but the players I have talked to told me all they do is boink chicks plus you don't have to go out they'll come to you if your are players like Colt McCoy and Stephen McGee. Not saying they are boinking girls but the girls do show up I know from talking to Stephen McGee's step sister who coaches softball here at Rockdale.

big daddy russ
12-20-2006, 06:43 PM
Man, what is with all the Colt hate coming from UT fans? Seems like all the A&M and Tech fans are standing up for him while all the 'Horn fans are the first to disown him.

Nobody is taking the job from Colt, whether you want them to or not. Whether or not you may think Snead should've got the gig, Colt was a Heisman-caliber QB as a redshirt freshman. Ya'll lose a couple of games and the world is suddenly turned upside down. Stop living in your little fantasy world and appreciate the fact that you have one of the best QB's in the game under center instead of complaining about him and talking about Jevan Snead, John Brantley, and Chris Simms beating him out.

Colt is a clone of Major Applewhite. Doesn't have the strongest arm, doesn't run a 4.3, and doesn't have much of a chance at the NFL, but has it all upstairs.

College QB's don't need an NFL arm to be great. Danny Wuerffel, Jason White, Pat Sullivan, Josh Heupel, and Gino Torretta are all great examples. The noodle attached to Tom Brady's shoulder looks like a rocket compared to those guys, but they all won Heismans (Heupel won the Heisman, didn't he?) and all are considered some of the best college players of all time. Hell, Wuerffel is usually ranked as one of the top three QB's of all time.

Compare that to big-armed guys like Chris Simms, Chris Rix (FSU), Joe Tereshinski (UGA), and Kyle Wright (Miami, FL). The only one of those guys who I'd even consider a decently-good college player was Simms.

Old Tiger
12-20-2006, 06:45 PM
BDR, I have no hate but I am questioning this nerve injury. The affects can be lingering and a loss of mobility is probable. That is my only concern and it worries me with the lack of depth at QB position.

Also I will not be making the trip to Dallas. I wish I could but I am probably going to watch an old team mate out in El Paso.

big daddy russ
12-20-2006, 06:48 PM
BDR, I have no hate but I am questioning this nerve injury. The affects can be lingering and a loss of mobility is probable. That is my only concern and it worries me with the lack of depth at QB position.

Also I will not be making the trip to Dallas. I wish I could but I am probably going to watch an old team mate out in El Paso.
It's cool. I forgot to tell you that we won't be going through CenTex now anyways. Picking up some people in Houston, then heading up there.

As far as the nerve injury, I've never heard of a pinched nerve having a lingering effect a year or two down the road. The worst sports-related one I can think of was Junior Seau's a few years back. Finished the year with it, then just had postseason surgery to get it fixed.

Old Tiger
12-20-2006, 06:50 PM
It's cool. I forgot to tell you that we won't be going through CenTex now anyways. Picking up some people in Houston, then heading up there.

As far as the nerve injury, I've never heard of a pinched nerve having a lingering effect a year or two down the road. The worst sports-related one I can think of was Junior Seau's a few years back. Finished the year with it, then just had postseason surgery to get it fixed. You never know what they are letting out. If it is still bothering him I think it may be something a little more serious than a pinched nerve. Only those close to the clubhouse and team know the extent of this injury.

g$$
12-20-2006, 06:59 PM
Well probably not but the players I have talked to told me all they do is boink chicks plus you don't have to go out they'll come to you if your are players like Colt McCoy and Stephen McGee. Not saying they are boinking girls but the girls do show up I know from talking to Stephen McGee's step sister who coaches softball here at Rockdale.

Sure they do. When I worked at A&M, girls would hang out in the lobby at Cain Hall trying to hook up all times of the day. Kind of disturbing really! It was not like that in juco baseball I assure you. And of course the parties are crazy.

Funniest thing I ever saw: Dante' Hall was dating this Caucasian girl, but her dad did not know. When he found out, he pulled up to campus hauling a trailer & checked her of school that day & loaded up everything she owned. Of course Pup just blew it off & moved on to the next one! The girl that had to leave school was not happy.

It's all about the uniform & status for "cleat chasers".

LitanyofFury
12-20-2006, 07:22 PM
I don't see Mack trying to pull in any other QB recruits. Especially ones that have already committed elsewhere. Why? He's a class act. I'm sure when Brantley's dad called Mack today (because Johnny sure doesn't have the stones to do it) Mack was nice and wished his kid luck at Florida. Just the way he is.

Supposedly this kid named Luck (yeah, his last name is Luck, go figure) is going to be a great QB coming out next year and he's all hot on us. He's also in-state and we tend to do very well with QBs from Texas as opposed to these OOS kids.

As for Brantley at Florida, I think he can definitely be the starter there but not until Tebow packs it in and leaves. Not because of talent level or anything but just because Tebow has been SO clutch for the Gators this year and they're in the title game. He's a living legend already on that campus and he just happens to be a great dual-threat QB who fits that offense very well. Besides, Brantley said he wanted to 'shirt for us so I'm sure he's planning on doing the same for the Gators. Most Horn fans are ticked, but they're also relieved that the wait is over and all the speculation and crap can end. Now we can focus on Chiles and the other insane recruits we've got showing up and this Brantley circus can end. Miss having him but in the end, you really only want kids on campus that WANT to be a Longhorn, right? If his heart was elsewhere he shouldn't be here and I'm glad he decided like he did.

EDIT: I just watched this to bouy my spirits and make myself feel a little better. The kid is a freak and he isn't backing out on his commit. Just check out the very first run of his. . .insane.

Chiles is SICK! (http://youtube.com/watch?v=2b0oO0bdtHM)

g$$
12-20-2006, 07:33 PM
I don't see Mack trying to pull in any other QB recruits. Especially ones that have already committed elsewhere. Why? He's a class act. I'm sure when Brantley's dad called Mack today (because Johnny sure doesn't have the stones to do it) Mack was nice and wished his kid luck at Florida. Just the way he is.

Supposedly this kid named Luck (yeah, his last name is Luck, go figure) is going to be a great QB coming out next year and he's all hot on us. He's also in-state and we tend to do very well with QBs from Texas as opposed to these OOS kids.

As for Brantley at Florida, I think he can definitely be the starter there but not until Tebow packs it in and leaves. Not because of talent level or anything but just because Tebow has been SO clutch for the Gators this year and they're in the title game. He's a living legend already on that campus and he just happens to be a great dual-threat QB who fits that offense very well. Besides, Brantley said he wanted to 'shirt for us so I'm sure he's planning on doing the same for the Gators. Most Horn fans are ticked, but they're also relieved that the wait is over and all the speculation and crap can end. Now we can focus on Chiles and the other insane recruits we've got showing up and this Brantley circus can end. Miss having him but in the end, you really only want kids on campus that WANT to be a Longhorn, right? If his heart was elsewhere he shouldn't be here and I'm glad he decided like he did.

You are referring to Andrew Luck at Stratford HS here in Houston. His dad Oliver played for the Oilers (& West Va). Oliver was a Rhodes Scholar too & his son is just as smart. He is talented & I went to watch him this year. He will be a good one. His dad said on the radio that right now he is leaning towards the West Coast, but Brantley's decision may affect that. Academics are a big criterium for him too.

I was told by a college coach at a Big 12 school last week that Texas had 2 kids about to decommit. Brantley was one of them & another name kid the other. I do NOT know who the other one is, but he said it was a big name. See what happens...

LitanyofFury
12-20-2006, 07:38 PM
Right. Well, ya gotta like the Longhorn's recruiting class any way ya cut it. Even with the loss of Brantley it'll be Top 1-3. I haven't heard a single thing about any other recruits dropping whereas we'd been hearing about Brantley for WEEKS.

Just wondering, how's old TAMU doing recruiting QBs to campus? McGee is a hoss and seems to shrug off any hit ya give him, so I don't see him going down anytime soon, but is Fran putting out feelers on any kids to replace him once he's gone? Is Ryan Tannehill looking to play out well? He was hurt and then came back to play and got beat by Sweetwater no less. He played well tho I think.

g$$
12-20-2006, 07:47 PM
Right. Well, ya gotta like the Longhorn's recruiting class any way ya cut it. Even with the loss of Brantley it'll be Top 1-3. I haven't heard a single thing about any other recruits dropping whereas we'd been hearing about Brantley for WEEKS.

Just wondering, how's old TAMU doing recruiting QBs to campus? McGee is a hoss and seems to shrug off any hit ya give him, so I don't see him going down anytime soon, but is Fran putting out feelers on any kids to replace him once he's gone? Is Ryan Tannehill looking to play out well? He was hurt and then came back to play and got beat by Sweetwater no less. He played well tho I think.

Promoted Jerrod Johnson (redshirt this year) last week to back-up for next year & Jamie McCoy moved to WR. Johnson is the heir apparent, but McGee has 2 more years of course.

Tannehill is a guy I have not seen play. I think he will a career back-up though from what I have been told. Look for A&M to sign someone next year (pursuing Luck & Taylor Cook 2008 class).

big daddy russ
12-20-2006, 07:48 PM
Litany, good question. As far as I know, Tannehill and Jamie McCoy are the only two QB's to commit the past few years. Neither one was a major signing, but we'll have to just wait and see how it pans out.

Then again there may be another kid who I've just forgotten about.

g$$
12-20-2006, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Promoted Jerrod Johnson (redshirt this year) last week to back-up for next year & Jamie McCoy moved to WR. Johnson is the heir apparent, but McGee has 2 more years of course.

Tannehill is a guy I have not seen play. I think he will a career back-up though from what I have been told. Look for A&M to sign someone next year (pursuing Luck & Taylor 2008 class).

You forgot Johnson, great athlete who also plays basketball from Humble HS. MVP of THSCA All Star Game last summer.

big daddy russ
12-20-2006, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by g$$
You forgot Johnson, great athlete who also plays basketball from Humble HS. MVP of THSCA All Star Game last summer.
Yes I did. My bad.

BIG_STICK
12-20-2006, 07:59 PM
I alos think that he realizes UT will not win another National Title for years an years they got lucky last year with Young. Who is very ovverrated in the pros showed his real potential last week. Anyway what is it with the UT lovers hateing on Mccoy i thought he was supposed to win the hesiman next year

TMer25
12-20-2006, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by BIG_STICK
I alos think that he realizes UT will not win another National Title for years an years they got lucky last year with Young. Who is very ovverrated in the pros showed his real potential last week. Anyway what is it with the UT lovers hateing on Mccoy i thought he was supposed to win the hesiman next year

While they may not win another one, they are definitely going to be in the discussion more years than not.

big daddy russ
12-20-2006, 08:03 PM
They have quite a bit of talent on that team. They have as good a chance as anyone to win it all.

JasperDog94
12-20-2006, 08:11 PM
I alos think that he realizes UT will not win another National Title for years an years they got lucky last year with Young. Who is very ovverrated in the pros showed his real potential last week. Anyway what is it with the UT lovers hateing on Mccoy i thought he was supposed to win the hesiman next year Another Texas hater. Welcome to the board.:) :) :)

luvhoops34
12-20-2006, 08:22 PM
End it now....take a 12 gauge to the pinky toe.

ROFLMAO:clap:

KL3
12-20-2006, 11:57 PM
I think it just stings because he came calling to the Horns and because we ended up losing Mallett because of it.

It was Mack Brown's cockiness that cost him Ryan Mallet, not John Brantly. Mallet was not ready to commit earlier this year, but Mack went ahead and gave him a strict deadline he had to decide by. He wasn't ready and told Texas that and then Mack got a commit from Brantly a few weeks later. I bet he's wishing he wouldn't have done that now.

LitanyofFury
12-21-2006, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by KL3
It was Mack Brown's cockiness that cost him Ryan Mallet, not John Brantly. Mallet was not ready to commit earlier this year, but Mack went ahead and gave him a strict deadline he had to decide by. He wasn't ready and told Texas that and then Mack got a commit from Brantly a few weeks later. I bet he's wishing he wouldn't have done that now.

And Mack has done that with EVERY recruit he's ever brought/tried bringing to the 40 acres. That's the way Mack recruits. He wants recruits to commit early and then to get into the system early.

I specifically know that he gave Mallett the deadline and told the kid to do what he thought was best. Why the deadline? Mack wanted to get his recruiting situation locked up so it wouldn't look like he was making moves behind Mallett or Brantley's back. Why? Mack is a class act. If he lets Mallett wait as long as he wants to commit then it affects Brantley and vis versa. He doesn't do it to be cocky or mean or whatever. In fact, Mallett has said several times that his dealings with the UT staff were awesome and that Mack was a class act and wished him luck wherever he went.

I mean, what has ever given you the idea that Mack is a cocky guy especially with recruits?

I'm not going to argue with the way mack recruits. There's a reason he's called Mr. February.

Funk-d-fied
12-21-2006, 09:00 AM
Yes SIRRRR..... gig em'

Funk-d-fied
12-21-2006, 09:02 AM
Latinyoffury, why that pic on your signature? What is the meanin of that? Is that supposed to be funny or are you purposly taking humor from another man's downfalls?

KL3
12-21-2006, 10:10 AM
And Mack has done that with EVERY recruit he's ever brought/tried bringing to the 40 acres. That's the way Mack recruits. He wants recruits to commit early and then to get into the system early.

Wrong. Mack does like to get early comitts, but he gets them b/c the kids are/were that excited to get a longhorn offer after they won the Rose Bowl in '05 and NC in '06. He has NOT, however, given many players deadlines. I think in this class he gave Mallet and Richetti Jones deadlines. I think Lennon Creer as well. Thats it.

Mack knew when he took Brantly's committment that both of his parents were big time Gator alumns. Why not take the instate Texas boy, who is also a 5 star and be done with it. Much, much less risky than trying to going down to Florida and beat out the big 3.

LitanyofFury
12-21-2006, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by KL3
Wrong. Mack does like to get early comitts, but he gets them b/c the kids are/were that excited to get a longhorn offer after they won the Rose Bowl in '05 and NC in '06. He has NOT, however, given many players deadlines. I think in this class he gave Mallet and Richetti Jones deadlines. I think Lennon Creer as well. Thats it.

Mack knew when he took Brantly's committment that both of his parents were big time Gator alumns. Why not take the instate Texas boy, who is also a 5 star and be done with it. Much, much less risky than trying to going down to Florida and beat out the big 3.

Again, I'm not going to argue with Mack Brown's recruiting methods considering that even w/o Brantley we still have the #1 class this year. Yeah, it'd be nice to have Mallett tho.

BTEXDAD
12-21-2006, 10:15 AM

Agreed, big daddy, and this isn't at the last minute. If he'd have committed to Florida a week or even less before the signing day, then it's reason to be upset.
There may be some other verbally committed recruits that will be calling Mack up now, but as you said it happens.

LitanyofFury
12-21-2006, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Funk-d-fied
Latinyoffury, why that pic on your signature? What is the meanin of that? Is that supposed to be funny or are you purposly taking humor from another man's downfalls?

It's to be funny. I heard so much stuff from Aggie fans over the years about how Reggie "TheRealDeal" McNeal was SO much better than "Radio". Heck. . .doncha know? Reggie McKneel ran a 4.2 40! Also, I always hear people dogging on the Texas "bonghorns" and whatnot and acting like UT is full of thugs while theirs is pristine. I just enjoy the irony, that's all.

He did have a nice 1st down run Monday night. . .;)

Ranger Mom
12-21-2006, 10:21 AM
You never know what they are letting out. If it is still bothering him I think it may be something a little more serious than a pinched nerve. Only those close to the clubhouse and team know the extent of this injury.

Have you ever had a pinched nerve?? I HAVE!! It's not something that took years to get over, but I didn't bounce back in a matter of weeks either...it took a few months!!

Funk-d-fied
12-21-2006, 10:58 AM
Heck. . .doncha know? Reggie McKneel ran a 4.2 40! And whats this "we" stuff? What number are you on the roster? LOl, typical...

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c143/schwabs17/311xInlineGallery.jpg

Alot of people thought this was funny because of all the, " he deserves to win the Heisman" talk....

He did have a good game against North Texas though..;)

Phil C
12-21-2006, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
Well, this doesn't mean Texas can't steal back some of its old recruits that already 'committed' to other colleges. If Brantley did it, why can't they?

Just a thought...

We don't do that Breck! We don't go after other school verbals unless they come to us first.

JasperDog94
12-21-2006, 12:11 PM
Alot of people thought this was funny because of all the, " he deserves to win the Heisman" talk.... Please explain to me how somebody saying "He should be in the Heisman discussion" equates to deserving to be carted off the field?:confused:

KL3
12-21-2006, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
We don't do that Breck! We don't go after other school verbals unless they come to us first.

Phil, please tell me you are kidding. Because if you are not I'll come up with a list of recruits Texas has gotten to switch very late in the process the past several years.

JasperDog94
12-21-2006, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by KL3
Phil, please tell me you are kidding. Because if you are not I'll come up with a list of recruits Texas has gotten to switch very late in the process the past several years. I'd be curious to see that list.

Old Tiger
12-21-2006, 01:25 PM
Heck. . .doncha know? Reggie McKneel ran a 4.2 40! And whats this "we" stuff? What number are you on the roster? LOl, typical...

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c143/schwabs17/311xInlineGallery.jpg

Alot of people thought this was funny because of all the, " he deserves to win the Heisman" talk....

He did have a good game against North Texas though..;) So is a player being taken off the field some kind of joke to you?

KL3
12-21-2006, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
I'd be curious to see that list.

Here you go........

Garnett Smith (2002 class)November =when the switch happened
Michael Williams (2002) January
Tyrell Gatewood (2004) January
Chris Hall (2005) January
Ishie Oduegwu (2005) January
Jermichael Finley (2005) January
Roy Miller (2005) January
James Henry (2006) December
Jevan Snead (2006) November 15th

These kids all decommitted from other schools very late in the process and picked Texas. These things happen many times every single year in recruiting. Nobody wines about it as much as longhorn fans do though.

I also found it funny that when Snead switched from Florida last year, you really didn't hear anything about how terrible that was from the UT fans. The texas rivals site even headlined the article "Snead comes home".

JasperDog94
12-21-2006, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by KL3
Here you go........

Garnett Smith (2002 class)November =when the switch happened
Michael Williams (2002) January
Tyrell Gatewood (2004) January
Chris Hall (2005) January
Ishie Oduegwu (2005) January
Jermichael Finley (2005) January
Roy Miller (2005) January
James Henry (2006) December
Jevan Snead (2006) November 15th

These kids all decommitted from other schools very late in the process and picked Texas. These things happen many times every single year in recruiting. Nobody wines about it as much as longhorn fans do though.

I also found it funny that when Snead switched from Florida last year, you really didn't hear anything about how terrible that was from the UT fans. The texas rivals site even headlined the article "Snead comes home". Were those guys actively recruited by Texas after giving their verbal to another school? I really don't know. That's why I'm asking.

KL3
12-21-2006, 02:00 PM
Jasper, they were. Every school in the nation continues to recruit kids that commit to other schools. Some kids put an end to it by saying, "coach, I'm 100% done, thank you for your time but I'm not switching". Though, sometimes that won't even stop the coaches from calling.

JasperDog94
12-21-2006, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by KL3
Jasper, they were. Every school in the nation continues to recruit kids that commit to other schools. Some kids put an end to it by saying, "coach, I'm 100% done, thank you for your time but I'm not switching". Though, sometimes that won't even stop the coaches from calling. You assume that continues to happen, but you don't know for sure, right? The reason I'm asking is because Mack tends to be done with 90% of his recruiting when other schools are just getting started. He wouldn't need to continue to recruit kids that have given verbals to other schools.

big daddy russ
12-21-2006, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
You assume that continues to happen, but you don't know for sure, right? The reason I'm asking is because Mack tends to be done with 90% of his recruiting when other schools are just getting started. He wouldn't need to continue to recruit kids that have given verbals to other schools.
All the elite programs do that. Oklahoma, Miami, USC, UT, tOSU, etc. Because they have blue-chippers waiting in line, they go ahead and line up as many verbals as possible from as many big-time recruits as possible. Notice that there are hardly any one- and two-star recruits that give verbals before signing day unless that's just the school they've wanted to go to since they were a kid.

Back when Mack started coaching at UT (the 'Horns were a middling Big XII program at the time), he had many of the same problems as the lower-tier schools in getting early committments, and really, filling out a recruiting class before signing day is something that's only become a trend in the last three or four years. It was actually started in the recruiting wars between Mack and Stoops.

JasperDog94
12-21-2006, 02:13 PM
All the elite programs do that. Oklahoma, Miami, USC, UT, tOSU, etc. Because they have blue-chippers waiting in line, they go ahead and line up as many verbals as possible from as many big-time recruits as possible. Notice that there are hardly any one- and two-star recruits that give verbals before signing day unless that's just the school they've wanted to go to since they were a kid.

Back when Mack started coaching at UT (the 'Horns were a middling Big XII program at the time), he had many of the same problems as the lower-tier schools in getting early committments, and really, filling out a recruiting class before signing day is something that's only become a trend in the last three or four years. It was actually started in the recruiting wars between Mack and Stoops. Very true.

Old Tiger
12-21-2006, 02:14 PM
What if Texas recruited more nationally and didn't expect a recruit to immediately commit. Similar to what USC does and what not? That would be interesting to see what could happen.

KL3
12-21-2006, 02:26 PM
I know this b/c I read recruit updates every day that say, "coach so and so came by the house", "coach so and so came by my school", i saw "coach so and so's number on my caller i.d.".

All schools pretty much start recruiting at the same time now. The thing is, texas fills up so fast b/c they offer almost all instate kids who are waiting to jump at the offer. By offering more out of state kids like TigerWR says, they would not fill up so quickly b/c a kid from say california might not be able to decide b/t USC and Texas until very late in the process.

You could even say Mack is starting to slow down the offering process. Even though he is full for this year, he is telling '08 recruits (Srs. to be) that no one from that class will be offered until UT's first Jr. Day in February. Almost every other school in the region, A&M and OU included, has offered a handful of Jr. prospects already.

BTEXDAD
12-21-2006, 02:41 PM

Back when Mack started coaching at UT (the 'Horns were a middling Big XII program at the time), he had many of the same problems as the lower-tier schools in getting early committments, and really, filling out a recruiting class before signing day is something that's only become a trend in the last three or four years. It was actually started in the recruiting wars between Mack and Stoops.

I'm not sure about all of them doing it with quite the same procedure Mack uses. Stoops presently has only 13 commitments according to Rivals.com. USC only 12, notre Dame 15 and tOSU 13.
Fla St. was another one I remember in the past of always making a late push, and that's been the trend at OK also.
I've been watching the rivals.com site for years and Mack almost always has the number one ranked recruiting class(as far as verbal commitments) going into december. then things start happening all over.
They said last year after UT won NC, that Mack could have picked up 3-4 more four and five star recruits, but he had promised his scholarships already.
It kind of depends on what you consider early commitments. Mack had 23 commitments back in october which was twice what majority of other teams ranked in top 25 recruiting wise had at that time. He still has 23 (without brantley), so he hasn't done much addnl since then.
Commiting in december is early, but not compared to many that plan to go to UT. It's just the style of recruiting. I'm sure if Mack has scholarships still available, he's still recruiting as hard as anybody, but as you said, over the past few years, more and more teams are filling out their recruit list b4 signing day and not spending that whole day on phone. Mack just gets the commitments earlier than anybody, then tries to hold on to them.

Funk-d-fied
12-21-2006, 02:43 PM
The picture od Colt is not funny at all, I was making a point, the picture of Reggie in one of his darkest hours is not funny to others either. Be careful what you post on here....

Old Tiger
12-21-2006, 02:44 PM
The picture od Colt is not funny at all, I was making a point, the picture of Reggie in one of his darkest hours is not funny to others either. Be careful what you post on here.... Reggie brought that crap on himself.

Funk-d-fied
12-21-2006, 03:10 PM
So did colt, he was on the field at the wrong time...

Old Tiger
12-21-2006, 03:12 PM
So did colt, he was on the field at the wrong time... That does not make any sense at all.

g$$
12-21-2006, 03:15 PM
It's to be funny. I heard so much stuff from Aggie fans over the years about how Reggie "TheRealDeal" McNeal was SO much better than "Radio". Heck. . .doncha know? Reggie McKneel ran a 4.2 40! Also, I always hear people dogging on the Texas "bonghorns" and whatnot and acting like UT is full of thugs while theirs is pristine. I just enjoy the irony, that's all.

He did have a nice 1st down run Monday night. . .;)

You never heard me bragging on McNeal, never liked the guy. And, if you are a such a new member how have you heard stuff on here? Just reading it right? Maybe because you are really West Tx Longhorn? I know you are, just say it. Your grammar, syntax, expressions, writing style, humor(?), etc. all match up.

Texas has had their share of thugs too. In fact, more have gotten arrested lately than A&M guys.

Brown
Gatewood
Harris
McCullough
Williams, R.
Benson
Dibbles
Young, S.
etc.

Wanna put their pics up too, huh?

If you are proud of what a burn-out, drug user like MM says on MNF, then you really need to get out more. He embarrassed your entire school on the sidelines vs. Ohio State, jumping around drunk when the game was over. I like him in movies as a funny guy, but I would not want him representing my university.

Old Tiger
12-21-2006, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by g$$
You never heard me bragging on McNeal, never liked the guy. And, if you are a such a new member how have you heard stuff on here? Just reading it right? Maybe because you are really West Tx Longhorn? I know you are, just say it. Your grammar, syntax, expressions, writing style, humor(?), etc. all match up.

Texas has had their share of thugs too. In fact, more have gotten arrested lately than A&M guys.

Brown
Gatewood
Harris
McCullough
Williams, R.
etc.

Wanna put their pics up too, huh?

If you are proud of what a burn-out, drug user like MM says on MNF, then you really need to get out more. He embarrassed your entire school on the sidelines vs. Ohio State, jumping around drunk when the game was over. I like him in movies as a funny guy, but I would not want him representing my university. How can you include Brown and Gatewood. Their charges were dropped. Maybe more people know about Texas players getting arrested because Texas is a more publicized school than A&M. Nobody brings up Jamar Toombs name from A&M and he graduated around when Ricky Williams did maybe a year or two later.

g$$
12-21-2006, 03:19 PM
So is a player being taken off the field some kind of joke to you?

You thought hs football fights & NBA brawls were funny last week, what's the difference? People can get hurt seriously in all of those.

I don't find any of them funny, but you did. Don't be a hypocrite just because "Cart" McCoy wears burnt orange.

Old Tiger
12-21-2006, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by g$$
You thought hs football fights & NBA brawls were funny last week, what's the difference? People can get hurt seriously in all of those.

I don't find any of them funny, but you did. Don't be a hypocrite just because "Cart" McCoy wears burnt orange. I said it was cool to see ;)

That "Cart" McCoy shows your class. A kid that is 20 could have been paralized and you aggy's are making a joke of it without knowing the extent of the injury. That is just sick bro...I have lost respect for you which I barely had to begin with. I would never wish harm upon no one especially with injuries that could end a kids career so earely.

g$$
12-21-2006, 03:24 PM
How can you include Brown and Gatewood. Their charges were dropped. Maybe more people know about Texas players getting arrested because Texas is a more publicized school than A&M. Nobody brings up Jamar Toombs name from A&M and he graduated around when Ricky Williams did maybe a year or two later.

Get your facts right boy. Ricky has had repeated drug suspensions for years now. Toombs was later than Ricky & had a few minor run-ins (his biggest problem was illegitimate children). Brown & Gatewood were both arrested, obtained a good UT lawyer, & got out of the charges. They were both in a car with drugs & a gun, so let's not make them out to be saints or angels. Texas has had their share of thugs too, as was the point.

Old Tiger
12-21-2006, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Get your facts right boy. Ricky has had repeated drug suspensions for years now. Toombs was later than Ricky & had a few minor run-ins (his biggest problem was illegitimate children). Brown & Gatewood were both arrested, obtained a good UT lawyer, & got out of the charges. They were both in a car with drugs & a gun, so let's not make them out to be saints or angels. Texas has had their share of thugs too, as was the point. I didn't say nothing about Ricky Williams you idiot he did bring it on himself. I said Toombs may have been a year or two later than Ricky. Hey look at OJ he got a good lawyer too so that is a dumb excuse shut up and quit posting all you do is come here and disagree with people so you can sit there and play with yourself while getting off to these arguments you are a sick person in the head.

g$$
12-21-2006, 03:26 PM
Here's a better list from recent years of Longhorn law breakers:

Brown
Gatewood
Harris
McCullough
Williams, R.
Benson
Dibbles
Young, S.
etc.