PDA

View Full Version : Graham/Wylie Rd. 2

bigfan
11-13-2002, 06:05 PM
Who wins this close game friday night in Arlington @ UTA. Personally I'm gonna have with Graham a big play offense and a athletic defense will edge wylie. I would like to hear everyones thoughts on this game.
PREDICTION: Graham by 10 :D

spiderman
11-14-2002, 12:11 AM
My prediction is that Wylie comes out on top. Those DAWGS are on a roll. Wylie wins by 14.

heck
11-14-2002, 08:54 AM
I've seen em both and they are good. I'll take Graham by a touch and see what happens.

pero chato
11-14-2002, 09:44 AM
In the first game, Wylie won the first half and Graham won the second half. A lucky bounce on a punt into the back of a Graham player then the recovery by Wylie helped secure the win in the final minute of the game. Otherwise Graham would have had a real good opportunity to kick the game winning field goal (or score a TD). Wylie also dropped a sure touchdown interception that would have made the score 21-6 earlier in the fourth quarter. So, an error free game by Wylie and we win by 5, if we start the ole "fumble the ball and drop the passes" routine then Graham by 10. Outta be a good one!

FanMan
11-14-2002, 12:00 PM
I saw both teams play earlier in the year. Wylie was real lucky the first time, I don't think their luck holds up during the playoffs. Sandifer should keep the game close, but he isn't the one playing on the field. Wylie didn't seem to want to be district champs, don't think they will win this one either. Have to take Graham by 14 with the revenge factor.

spiderman
11-14-2002, 06:33 PM
I don't think you are a Wylie fan at all. Everyone knows that Graham was the lucky one getting all the breaks in the second half.

FanMan:
I saw both teams play earlier in the year. Wylie was real lucky the first time, I don't think their luck holds up during the playoffs. Sandifer should keep the game close, but he isn't the one playing on the field. Wylie didn't seem to want to be district champs, don't think they will win this one either. Have to take Graham by 14 with the revenge factor.

Adidas410s
11-14-2002, 06:57 PM
I keep reading everybody saying that Wylie got lucky. I would really beg to differ and rather say that Graham didn't take advantage of Wylie's fumbles. Wylie fumbled 4 times but was able to recover 3 of them. Two of the ones they got back Graham had an oppourtunity to take. You can't really say that Graham dominated the 2nd half because they only put together two drives, both in the 4th quarter. Graham finished with only 183 yds of offense, most coming in the 4th quarter. At the same time, Wylie finished w/ 281 yds, about 130 of which came in the 1st quarter when they scored. At least Wylie was able to move the ball somewhat when they weren't scoring. All in all though it really doesn't matter. Wylie has been playing more consistent and everybody knows that Graham hasn't won a 1st RD playoff game since 1997 when they LOST to Sweetwater in the 2nd or 3rd round(at Shotwell I believe). You can say what you want, but I dont think this game will be decided by less than a TD. The big matchup will be Graham's offense vs Wylie's defense. The Steers offense has played better since the Wylie game while the Bulldog defense has only allowed an average of 9 pts/game in their last 7 games. I am gonna say Wylie by 9 in this one.

<small>[ November 14, 2002, 07:54 PM: Message edited by: Adidas410s ]</small>

wildstangs
11-14-2002, 07:20 PM
Adidas410s:
I keep reading everybody saying that Wylie got lucky. I would really beg to differ and rather say that Graham didn't take advantage of Wylie's fumbles. Wylie fumbled 4 times but was able to recover 3 of them. Two of the ones they got back Graham had an oppourtunity to take. You can't really say that Graham dominated the 2nd half because they only put together two drives, both in the 4th quarter. Graham finished with only 183 yds of offense, most coming in the 4th quarter. At the same time, Wylie finished w/ 281 yds, about 130 of which came in the 1st quarter when they scored. At least Wylie was able to move the ball somewhat when they weren't scoring. All in all though it really doesn't matter. Wylie has been playing more consistent and everybody knows that Graham hasn't won a 1st RD playoff game since 1997 when they beat Sweetwater (at Shotwell I believe). You can say what you want, but I dont think this game will be decided by less than a TD. The big matchup will be Graham's offense vs Wylie's defense. The Steers offense has played better since the Wylie game while the Bulldog defense has only allowed an average of 9 pts/game in their last 7 games. I am gonna say Wylie by 9 in this one.No no no no no!!! We beat Graham in like the third round at shotwell that year :) Come on Adidas, get it sraight man! :)

Adidas410s
11-14-2002, 08:53 PM
Yeah I was just saying that that was the last year that they made it past the 1st round. Sorry for writing that backwards. Its been a VERY long two days for me. Only like 6 hrs of sleep since Monday night.

VWG
11-14-2002, 10:58 PM
Fellas, let's throw out the "Homer" bandwagon stuff and look at this from a die hard football fan's viewpoint.
Both teams are great teams, and this should be a great game. A classic for Round 1... especially since the first game went 14-12.
Give me a little bit of a break though... the Dawgs are on a roll? Wylie has played more consistent than Graham since this game? Against who? Clyde and Comanche and the rest of a weak district? Ballinger is the only team worth salt in that district. Don't get me wrong though... Graham's district isn't that much better. Take out Vernon and Iowa Park and see what's left, and Vernon is down this year.
This game's major matchup will be Graham's offense and Wylie's defense. Graham has beaten some good teams... 4A playoff bound WF Hirschi, Sweetwater, Iowa Park, and others with the ground game. They will try to pound the ball against Tyler Crump, Arron Faulkner, and the rest of the Wylie defense. Wylie is extremely talented...and if they can stop Graham's ground attack I feel they will win the game. Wylie's offense is led by Tommy Felts and crew. They will score on Graham.
This game could be 21-14 or 38-35. It will depend on Wylie's defense and also Graham's defense to stop the scoring.
Coaching... Sandifer all the way. He's been at Wylie for a long time. Playoff experience counts and he's got tons. The Graham coach has lost three straight first round playoff games. Was this because of playing more talented teams in that first round? I doubt it. You can't always look at the players on the field for three straight "one and out" playoff runs.
Kicking game? Graham by a landslide. Kid from Graham has a cannon. Can hit from outside 40 yds. on kicks and punts for about a 40 yd. avg. as well.
Intangibles? Graham has the revenge factor.
Will be a great game. Good luck to both teams.

The One
11-14-2002, 11:36 PM
Wylie wins this one!

Z motion 10 out on 2
11-14-2002, 11:41 PM
VWG, great analysis. Yes, game of the week. Graham's 3 years of 1 and out has to change sometime. Since you mentioned it it will probably be this game.

spiderman
11-15-2002, 12:21 AM
You must also remember that Wylie has a heck of a kicker also. He kicked a 49 yarder at the Sweetwater game!

Z motion 10 out on 2
11-15-2002, 09:54 AM
Graham also has a geat kicker. He kicked a 42 yarder against Vernon in the mud~ That seems to be a push. I wish I could see this one--can't wait for some good commentary after the game.

pero chato
11-15-2002, 10:10 AM
This is a game that shouldn't be looked at on paper. Graham is favored and rightfully so, although Wylie beat Graham earlier in the season. So why are they favored? When you start looking at scores and stats--there's your answer. Wylie's scores and stats aren't all that impressive this year, but who cares? A "W" is a "W". I mentioned earlier that Wylie had a lucky break in the first game against Graham that helped secure the win. Another poster correctly pointed out that Graham had a few lucky breaks during the course of the game as well. I would say the dropped interception that would have made the score 21-6 Wylie in the fourth was a lucky break for Graham. It's always the last lucky break that is remembered. I think Graham and Wylie are evenly matched and the winner will be whoever wants the most to play again next week. Wylie showed a lot of emotion and character to dig deep to pull out a win over a very talented Ballinger squad. They'll need that same attitude tonight. Good luck to the Bulldogs, Mustangs, Bearcats, and Indians!

vet93
11-15-2002, 10:46 AM
I think that the arguments on both sides of the issue have been persuasive as to who has the edge. I think that Pero Chato is right on this one. Whoever wants this game the most and I would add, has the fewest mistakes, will win. This ought to be a good game. I am rooting for the Bulldogs to pull this one out because they are from our district. Good luck to both teams!

pero chato
11-15-2002, 11:06 AM
Hey VET93, good luck tonight against Vernon. This is another game that people are having a tough time calling. Looking at the common opponent, Breckenridge, Vernon should win. But I see it a little differently. Ballinger had a real good chance to beat Wylie but hopefully they have gotten past that and still have some of the momentum and "want to" for tonight. Like Sandifer says, you can't stop Posey, you just hope to slow him down a little. Mistakes will be another key in this game. The three fumbles against Wylie sure helped us out. If Posey has a good game and your defense stays consistent, you win. I'd try to find a way to get the ball to #82, also. Anyway, GOOD LUCK!

vet93
11-15-2002, 11:57 AM
Hey Pero Chato...we have one more night to wait before we get to play. We play Vernon on Saturday at 2:00 PM. I am concerned about a hard fought loss to the Bulldogs taking away some of our focus and edge. It will be interesting to see how the kids respond. I think that they will be o.k. I think a tough game against Ballinger was good for Wylie. It should give them confidence and toughness to take on a talented Graham team. If you can, you ought to travel down the interstate and see the game in Sweetwater. I am meeting Wildstangs there as well.

pero chato:
Hey VET93, good luck tonight against Vernon. This is another game that people are having a tough time calling. Looking at the common opponent, Breckenridge, Vernon should win. But I see it a little differently. Ballinger had a real good chance to beat Wylie but hopefully they have gotten past that and still have some of the momentum and "want to" for tonight. Like Sandifer says, you can't stop Posey, you just hope to slow him down a little. Mistakes will be another key in this game. The three fumbles against Wylie sure helped us out. If Posey has a good game and your defense stays consistent, you win. I'd try to find a way to get the ball to #82, also. Anyway, GOOD LUCK!

pero chato
11-15-2002, 12:38 PM
Sounds like an excellent road trip. Is it OK to wear my Wylie hat on the Ballinger side? LOL

vet93
11-15-2002, 01:01 PM
I have no problem with you wearing your Wylie cap! However, if anyone asks about the cap...tell them that you are from the "other" Wylie up near Dallas wink Of course, if they find out the truth I will have to disavow any knowledge of me knowing you! It might leak back that I am a Wylie sympathizer eek!

pero chato:
Sounds like an excellent road trip. Is it OK to wear my Wylie hat on the Ballinger side? LOL

Adidas410s
11-15-2002, 01:03 PM
Good analysis earlier. The only thing that I disagree with is giving a big advantage to Graham in the kicking game. Wylie's kicker (Philpot) is a jr who regularly kicks it deep in the endzone. He has been all but perfect on FG's and I believe his only miss was a 42 yd attempt against Ballinger. He has hit from 38, 41, and 50 though. Should be a good game. Well I am off because my girlfriend wants to go to the mall.

spiderman
11-16-2002, 03:43 AM
The kicking game belonged to the Wylie Bulldogs and not "Graham by a landslide".

VWG:
Fellas, let's throw out the "Homer" bandwagon stuff and look at this from a die hard football fan's viewpoint.
Both teams are great teams, and this should be a great game. A classic for Round 1... especially since the first game went 14-12.
Give me a little bit of a break though... the Dawgs are on a roll? Wylie has played more consistent than Graham since this game? Against who? Clyde and Comanche and the rest of a weak district? Ballinger is the only team worth salt in that district. Don't get me wrong though... Graham's district isn't that much better. Take out Vernon and Iowa Park and see what's left, and Vernon is down this year.
This game's major matchup will be Graham's offense and Wylie's defense. Graham has beaten some good teams... 4A playoff bound WF Hirschi, Sweetwater, Iowa Park, and others with the ground game. They will try to pound the ball against Tyler Crump, Arron Faulkner, and the rest of the Wylie defense. Wylie is extremely talented...and if they can stop Graham's ground attack I feel they will win the game. Wylie's offense is led by Tommy Felts and crew. They will score on Graham.
This game could be 21-14 or 38-35. It will depend on Wylie's defense and also Graham's defense to stop the scoring.
Coaching... Sandifer all the way. He's been at Wylie for a long time. Playoff experience counts and he's got tons. The Graham coach has lost three straight first round playoff games. Was this because of playing more talented teams in that first round? I doubt it. You can't always look at the players on the field for three straight "one and out" playoff runs.
Kicking game? Graham by a landslide. Kid from Graham has a cannon. Can hit from outside 40 yds. on kicks and punts for about a 40 yd. avg. as well.
Intangibles? Graham has the revenge factor.
Will be a great game. Good luck to both teams.